PDA

View Full Version : Interesting aside re: Tour Gear

Colin
10th July 2007, 12:23 PM
Well, I took my Tour-issue TM wedges in to get regripped today, along with a few other clubs. The pro at the shop (the new Golfworks that's just opened up) mentioned as he was regripping them that he thought they've had some work done to them (well done, Sherlock - they've had a sole grind, handstamped numbers and engraving on the hosel - not exactly difficult to spot...). I told him that they were tour issue, so they probably had been customised for the player. He asked me where I got them, so I told him I'd picked them up on the net.

"They're not allowed to sell these, you know." he said.

When I asked him what he meant, he said that while tour players had their equipment provided for them, they didn't actually OWN them, and when they need replacements, they're supposed to give the old ones back. He reckoned it's a huge no-no to sell their old gear, and TM especially would be plenty pi$$ed if they found out.

I've never heard this stuff before - anyone else know what the go is?

Col

mikezone13
10th July 2007, 12:27 PM
Supposedly that is the go... but then again what do you think happens once the pro gives them back? They get sold ;)

Quite often the pro just gives them to someone who helped them out, a caddy, member at their old club, friend etc and they are the ones doing the selling.

Jarro
10th July 2007, 12:27 PM
They're probably not supposed to sell them, but i'll bet a lot of them do anyway

Moe Norman
10th July 2007, 12:37 PM
a truckload of stuff that I have sold on ebay is on behalf of the couple of pros that I know around the traps, 90% of it gear that was given to them free (not customised) that they don't use anymore.

Ducky
10th July 2007, 02:11 PM
Has he heard of the tour vans?

Fishman Dan
10th July 2007, 02:34 PM
Apparently you're never allowed to buy golf gear on the net - full stop. It means chumps like him are missing out on exaggerated mark-ups.

You're answer of course should have been - "A ha....".

markTHEblake
10th July 2007, 11:25 PM
I've never heard this stuff before - anyone else know what the go is?

That is correct, they are not allowed to sell them, and if they dont want them they are 'supposed' to give them back.

However do you think any pro will make the effort to go through his garage and sort out what he doesnt want, and then take it to the next tournament, find the Rep, and give it to him? apart from the fact the Rep will tell him to sod off, becuase he isnt a rubbish bin.

Some pro's have a bad name for selling clubs, and they have been actually 'blacklisted' from several brands because of that - I am talking about ones who bludge gear for the only purpose of selling, rather than those who just liquidate their old stuff, the industry wouldnt care about them.

To be fair, what does the industry really expect them to do, give their old gear away to some boofhead who will then go on and sell them.

Thats why you will usually find hacks like me selling tour gear and not saying who they are coming from.

goughy
11th July 2007, 05:23 AM
Anyone remember the pic floating around years ago of Nick Prices garage with the club shelves with hundreds and hundreds of golf clubs in them? It was in a golf digest article several years ago.

I'm now flashing back on an image of an fbi raid where they are sorting through all his stuff and bagging it up to return to the rightful owners!

Choppa
11th July 2007, 09:40 AM
Apparently you're never allowed to buy golf gear on the net - full stop. It means chumps like him are missing out on exaggerated mark-ups.

You're answer of course should have been - "A ha....".

Exactly!