PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt - Tosser or Not?

Fishman Dan
6th July 2007, 06:24 PM
Go for your life Eags...

AndyP
6th July 2007, 06:53 PM
IMO too many people judge him on his teenage years. Not a tosser, but not necessarily a fantastic bloke either.

Would it be off-topic to mention that Greg Norman is a tosser?

Moe Norman
6th July 2007, 06:56 PM
no, but it would be wrong

Jarro
6th July 2007, 06:58 PM
Norman is fantastic

Hewitt is a wanker

Fishman Dan
6th July 2007, 07:01 PM
Norman did more for his sport, not that it's an excuse to be a wanker (which I don't think he is).

Hewitt is the last great hope in the upper echelons of world tennis for Australia, although I heard there are 3 juniors showing real promise (have we heard that before?).

gazgolf1
6th July 2007, 07:42 PM
tosser.

jimandr
6th July 2007, 07:49 PM
I don't agree with either of the options, but I voted for the can't stand him, because he is a tosser on the court.

Heart as big as himself, and never gives up, but still behaves like a turkey.

However, I saw and listened to him doing a 'guest' commentary stint for 9 last week, and he was really good in that role. Didn't talk about himself unless he was asked a question, and gave some sensible analysis of the game and some of the other players. I was surprised. Much better than Pat Cash, if this is a comparison of a similar personality on the court who moved into the box.

AndyP
6th July 2007, 08:32 PM
No need for damo to vote on this one.... http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1592

BrisWesty
6th July 2007, 10:13 PM
Love hate.
-ve - Suffers white line fever on the court.
+ve - tries to chase everything down and never quits.
-ve - parents still too close
-ve - wife too involved with No Idea (or whatever trashy mag)
-ve - barracks for the Crows
-ve - bunker mentality (everybody has it in for me)
+ve - quite a good analyser of the game (as jim said above)

IMO will never get back into the top 5
A few years on from his peak
Misfortune of being on court at the same time as Federer and Nadal
He seems to lack the huge winners of some of the other top 10, but will always be in for a scrap.

dc68
9th July 2007, 12:24 PM
Total KJ.

Chris32
11th July 2007, 05:51 PM
Being from Adelaide, I know a few people who have had run ins with him, me included

1) When he won the Adelaide Hardcourt back in the early ninties, my uncle worked for a BMW dealership. The day after he won, he rocks up and buys convertable BMW. Treated everyone like he was a king and they where trash. Proceedes to do a burnout from the BMW dealership to McDonalds, which is accross the road.
2) A very close friend of mine was attending the SA Sportsmen of the Year awards a few years ago. He was the current state champion for golf, and was attending with, at the time, the Aussie Olympic team cycling coach. Leyton wouldn't even look at my mate, even after him saying hi twice. It wasn't until he was introduced a hour or so later, he put on a bit of a front and said ' i thought you where a no-body' or words to that effect
3) Almost being run over by Bec Hewitt after walking back from a Crows game a few years ago, a few Crows fans where giving him shit and they gunned it to get away. Problem was I was in the way and they had to stop. I stared at both of them and call them f#$wits!

Top bloke young Leyton.................

Fishman Dan
11th July 2007, 06:11 PM
But Chris32 - is there any way that getting run over by Australia's top 2 bogans could be good for the game?

Eag's
11th July 2007, 07:44 PM
Being from Adelaide, I know a few people who have had run ins with him, me included

1) When he won the Adelaide Hardcourt back in the early ninties, my uncle worked for a BMW dealership. The day after he won, he rocks up and buys convertable BMW. Treated everyone like he was a king and they where trash. Proceedes to do a burnout from the BMW dealership to McDonalds, which is accross the road.
2) A very close friend of mine was attending the SA Sportsmen of the Year awards a few years ago. He was the current state champion for golf, and was attending with, at the time, the Aussie Olympic team cycling coach. Leyton wouldn't even look at my mate, even after him saying hi twice. It wasn't until he was introduced a hour or so later, he put on a bit of a front and said ' i thought you where a no-body' or words to that effect
3) Almost being run over by Bec Hewitt after walking back from a Crows game a few years ago, a few Crows fans where giving him shit and they gunned it to get away. Problem was I was in the way and they had to stop. I stared at both of them and call them f#$wits!

Top bloke young Leyton.................

I rest my case ;)

damoocow
11th July 2007, 11:01 PM
He's not that much different to Rafter and Cash really - they were both top class tossers as well

damoocow