PDA

View Full Version : 1st Tee Etiquette

AndyP
4th July 2007, 01:57 PM
As I said in the Windaroo thread, I think there needs to be an open discussion on 1st Tee Etiquette, then maybe a sticky created.

A member brought the idea up some time ago, but I wasn't so sure that it was needed at the time. A couple of recent incidents have brought this topic forward again.

I'll just jot down some points about how I think OZgolf rounds should work.

There are sometimes two phases to organising an OZgolf round. An expression of interest (EOI) phase, where we just work out potential numbers for the day; and the actual finalisation of numbers and booking. Pencils are fine for the EOI as there is no need for commitment, but when it comes to the booking and you are still in pencil then you could be stopping someone else from playing. That's when you need to work out whether you can make it or not.
The person organising should probably also state what they are doing.
When your name is booked with a club, even if you didn't make the booking, you need to treat it like you put your name down yourself.
When you pull out, it doesn't look good on you on the forum, but the booker is the one that looks bad at the club (which is quite often their home club). The worst case scenario would be if I had a few pullouts at McLeod. If that happened, they wouldn't allow us to bulk book several groups in the future, and they have told me as much.
I think definites should get priorities over pencils once the game is booked. In fact, it would be polite for those marked in pencil to offer their spot.
Do you book games for yourself, when you are only a chance of making it? I doubt it. More likely that you only book when you know you are going to be available. Same should apply here.
How do you treat those that pullout, or those that have shown to be unreliable? Not sure. But I think it should be up to the organiser/booker to decide how they want to treat it. If someone has a bad wrap, and puts their name down, maybe they should have to give way to others. Sounds a bit harsh, but I don't really know the answer.
This isn't really an OZgolf administration responsibility, we don't organise them, we just provide the facility for it to be done, so this isn't really something we would be moderating. Therefore I can't see bannings and suspensions from the forum happening.
Your turn. :twisted:

BrisVegas
4th July 2007, 02:12 PM
"I think definites should get priorities over pencils. In fact, it would be polite for those marked in pencil to offer their spot."

Thats probably the crux of it.

As for people who are known as unreliable or who repeatedly pullout... we're all sick of trying accommodate them. I think the organiser of the game reserves the right to give priority to someone else if they want to.

Fishman Dan
4th July 2007, 02:14 PM
Organiser of the game may call veto over groups.

In the one (and only) game I organised at Ocean Shores I had;

* One person try and change the groups 2 minutes from tee time, even though the Pro Shop had names and golflink numbers.
* The second group had 3 carts between 4 players, when 2 carts were pre-paid for

No names, but not the done thing.

mikezone13
4th July 2007, 02:15 PM
"I think definites should get priorities over pencils. In fact, it would be polite for those marked in pencil to offer their spot."

Thats probably the crux of it.

As for people who are known as unreliable or who repeatedly pullout... we're all sick of trying accommodate them. I think the organiser of the game reserves the right to give priority to someone else if they want to.

Well put... agree with both points whole heartedly, although I would find it hard to say to someone "sorry don't want to play with you :-P as you're a 'puller outerer'"

I'm too nice ;)

mikezone13
4th July 2007, 02:16 PM
No names, but not the done thing.

Can we look in the 1st Tee archive to find out? ;)

Fishman Dan
4th July 2007, 02:18 PM
Mike - you'd go back a fair way, but I've given you enough of a hint; I've only organised the one event ;)

FWIW, the Pro Shop caught up with the group on the 7th or 8th hole and took the extra cart back. Didn't look good.

mikezone13
4th July 2007, 02:25 PM
Mike - you'd go back a fair way, but I've given you enough of a hint; I've only organised the one event ;)

Cracking success by the sounds of things... hope there were no Bulldogs supporters playing :D

AndyP
4th July 2007, 02:27 PM
It's probably best to not get caught up in what has happened in the past, or naming names. What we want to do is try to make sure these sorts of things don't happen in the future. :D

Fishman Dan
4th July 2007, 02:31 PM
Cracking success by the sounds of things... hope there were no Bulldogs supporters playing :D

I think we've found another 1st tee Ettiquette rule... :lol:

poidda
4th July 2007, 02:36 PM
I agree with it all, but I also would find it hard to tell someone they were being replaced bacuse they have been slack in the past.

Fishman Dan
4th July 2007, 02:37 PM
I agree with it all, but I also would find it hard to tell someone they were being replaced bacuse they have been slack in the past.

Have you ever organised a game and had a late (mystery) withdrawal? I'm sure those who planned a large outing (12 or more people) would find it pretty easy to overlook someone with a reputation.

andylo
4th July 2007, 02:56 PM
No drama's with me on that one Mike.
Alo and Keza are currently on my "no play" list. And I'm pretty sure I'm on theirs.

Not sure about Keza but for me, I have no such list, nor trying so hard to avoid anyone. I certainly had some bad etiquette happens in a few occasions in the pass and I apologiesed each of them accordingly. But if you decided to take it to your heart its your choice.

Thats all I want to say.

AndyP
4th July 2007, 03:32 PM
I know we weren't going to name names, but golfer69 is always the first on my "must play" list. What a top bloke!

Choppa
4th July 2007, 03:34 PM
How about rather than people putting their names down in pencil for games that are booked, they put they name down as the first (or next) reserve. Even if there are spots available. This will ensure they confirm their availability ASAP, or someone else who is a definite to play can take the spot even though they might put their name down afterwards.

Courty
4th July 2007, 03:36 PM
Edit: Wot Choppa said. ^^^

dc68
4th July 2007, 03:40 PM
'that's the way the cockie crumbles'.

What has the NSW Origin team got to do with this?

poidda
4th July 2007, 03:53 PM
Ditto bro !
Anyone I can beat off the stick after a bagful of shanks is No. 1 on my book !

Can you stop saying shank before you get them into everyones head! :shock:

Keza_G
4th July 2007, 06:22 PM
No drama's with me on that one Mike.
Alo and Keza are currently on my "no play" list. And I'm pretty sure I'm on theirs.

Care Factor Zero.....:twisted:

I have pulled out from 2 events that I know of.... I didnt play with Shavey, Shazza and Pete cause I was only going to play with Amanda... and I pulled outta a nudgee day cause I had to work and wouldn't have got back in time.

I could go on with plenty of legitamate excuses but suffice to say that i try to notify the appropriate ppl of my "no show" is really all I care about.

Now I have no job I wont be playing much with you all anyways...

markTHEblake
4th July 2007, 08:22 PM
how about if someone gets 'labelled' make them organise an Ozgolf day?

we could also consider payments up front, that way at least the golf club wont be that annoyed.

obviously the organiser of the day has his discretion how he manages his event and calls the shots.

Rusty
5th July 2007, 01:37 PM
excellent topic for discussion.

what Vegas and Choppa said - "definites" should get priority over "pencils" + maybe the organiser, can stipulate this at the start of the thread.

equally important for 1 or 2 group games within 2-3 weeks, or the "big field" events. ofcourse, this may lead to "pencils" booking and just not mentioning that they're "pencils", but repeat offender pullouts would soon get known.

also, it's fairer on "definites" as then they can book a game somewhere else sooner.

the organiser should never feel "put out", and it should be "least stressful" time as possible.

and maybe, just putting it out there, "definites" that don't make it, be expected to donate $5 to ozgolf. regardless of reason eg. accident on the way to golf. a small donation to help meet the costs of ozgolf.

Courty
5th July 2007, 01:40 PM
and maybe, just putting it out there, "definites" that don't make it, be expected to donate $5 to ozgolf. regardless of reason eg. accident on the way to golf. a small donation to help meet the costs of ozgolf.

I'd go as far as saying that they should donate the cost of the green fees for the round that they no-showed.

terryand
5th July 2007, 04:17 PM
For mine, I think the pencil should run out the day before the booking has to be made.

Most cases that is 2 weeks from the event and in some 1 week, if you can't orginize yourself by then, badluck.

Terry.

Ferrins
30th September 2015, 03:30 PM
Glad we have all this sorted now, by the way I have very good reasons for pulling out 36 times.

perci
10th October 2015, 07:15 PM
I have very good reasons for pulling out 36 times.

As should have your Father!

Ned
10th October 2015, 07:35 PM
As should have your Father!

Gold!

Ferrins
10th October 2015, 07:39 PM
My father had nothing to do with it.