PDA

View Full Version : Golfing in the Hunter Valley

Davemason
2nd July 2007, 05:27 PM
Some time next next year I'll be back down in Singleton with the army for a month

I will have the weekends off and I'm thinking of taking the golf clubs ,what courses are around close to Singo??

pt73
2nd July 2007, 05:41 PM
Newcastle GC at Stockton may bit a bit of a drive but it's well worth it unless the floods have done some damage.

PT

McCoy
2nd July 2007, 06:08 PM
So what will you be doing at Singo?

Davemason
2nd July 2007, 06:27 PM
So what will you be doing at Singo?

Range qualifications for the Army, it just means that I can supervise people shotting at targets , blow shit up

AndyP
2nd July 2007, 06:54 PM
As usual, it depends on how far you are prepared to drive, Dave.

As far as good courses go, in the Hunter Valley, there's Cypress Lakes and The Vintage. Around Port Stephens, there's Horizons and Pacific Dunes.

I thought we had a member from the Singleton area, but I can't think of who.

Grunt
2nd July 2007, 06:56 PM
Also got the old Portofino, now called Hunter Valley Golf Resort I think

Fishman Dan
2nd July 2007, 07:05 PM
There are dozens of courses in and around Singleton, including the Hunter Valley courses, Belmont near Newcastle, and of course Merewether and Newcastle GC.

Take your clubs, they'll get a solid workout ;)

Jono
2nd July 2007, 07:20 PM
I thought we had a member from the Singleton area, but I can't think of who.

Glen.

And he can play too. 8)

AndyP
2nd July 2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Jono. I knew he was around Newcastle, but wasn't sure if he was the one that mentioned Singleton.

McCoy
2nd July 2007, 08:23 PM
Range qualifications for the Army, it just means that I can supervise people shotting at targets , blow shit up

I didn't know anyone else here was in the Army, enjoy Singo it should be nice and warm for you :D

Davemason
2nd July 2007, 09:45 PM
I didn't know anyone else here was in the Army, enjoy Singo it should be nice and warm for you :D

I know what you mean just spent 2 weeks there froze my but off :smt087 , did get above 17* while I was there.

Davemason
2nd July 2007, 09:46 PM
I didn't know anyone else here was in the Army

Who else is in the army??

BrisVegas
3rd July 2007, 08:12 AM
reg320? Regs though, not Reserves.

just
3rd July 2007, 04:41 PM
Who else is in the army??

McCoy

AndyP
3rd July 2007, 06:14 PM
golfer69 is in the Grey Army.

McCoy
3rd July 2007, 08:07 PM
reg320? Regs though, not Reserves.

No he left regs and went reserves, works for Energex if I recall.
I remember being at Singo years ago doing a night range shoot, I was in the next detail watching it and from the left 4-5 kangaroos starting jumping through the lanes. There was at least 12 lanes on the range and the roos went the whole way through past every firer and not one got hit.

Davemason
3rd July 2007, 10:45 PM
No he left regs and went reserves, works for Energex if I recall.
I remember being at Singo years ago doing a night range shoot, I was in the next detail watching it and from the left 4-5 kangaroos starting jumping through the lanes. There was at least 12 lanes on the range and the roos went the whole way through past every firer and not one got hit.

So I take it you are in the army ARA or Gres??

BrisVegas
4th July 2007, 08:10 AM
... 4-5 kangaroos starting jumping through the lanes. There was at least 12 lanes on the range and the roos went the whole way through past every firer and not one got hit.

Nor should they! Assuming the guys were aiming at the targets and not the roos. ;) We were always threatened with having to bury the roo & copping extras if we ever shot one.

Davemason
4th July 2007, 09:32 AM
Nor should they! Assuming the guys were aiming at the targets and not the roos. ;) We were always threatened with having to bury the roo & copping extras if we ever shot one.

If we did that at Singo range we would be doing them a favor they are every were , and a crap load in side the wire of the base.

AndyP
23rd December 2009, 07:19 PM
Back on topic.....

I'm sitting outside the clubhouse of The Vintage right now. It's a great course, but the thing that stood out for me is the immaculate condition of the tees, fairways and greens. They are as good as I can remember seeing before.

The residential development doesn't interfere with the course at all. It's similar to Brookwater, where they are far enough back to be out of danger for most golfers.
They are close to some of the tees, but well back in hitting zones.

The par 3s here are very hard. I got destroyed by them today.

It was a hot one today, thanks to the scorching sun. If it wasn't for the breeze from the east, it would have been very tough to play in. For the last third of the round it was a full on wind. To me, it felt like the wind was behind me on more holes that it was into me. I'm not complaining, but some holes seemed to play short.

Unfortunately there is no food menu at the bar, it's either chips/nuts, or a full-on sit down dinner. Ah well, it looks like it will be KFC in Maitland for me.

Deano
30th December 2009, 11:23 PM
Play Belmont if you can.
Nice course.

AndyP
30th December 2009, 11:25 PM
Deano, should I go to Belmont before trying Horizons?

cutter1
31st December 2009, 07:40 AM
Different types of course, Belmont very "linksy" Horizons has had some problems with condition, haven't played it for a while, but the last time it was in really poor nick. I think Pacific Dunes is a better option.

dodgem
31st December 2009, 08:08 AM
Played both Horizons and Pacific Dunes early this month, recommend Pacific Dunes as it is in great condition. Horizons was a bit so-so.

Grunt
31st December 2009, 08:11 AM
I think if they were both in prime nick Horizons would be a better course than Pac Dunes. Have not played @ Belmont it is in my To Play list.

Scottt
31st December 2009, 08:13 AM
Horizons had some issues with conditions when Le Mellieur bought it and thought they could save some money on maintenance.

That lesson has been learned and I am told, as recently as last week, that it is in superb condition. Not that I really care too much about condition as long as it is good enough, but I know it means more to others.

I really like Belmont. As Cutter says, it and Horizons are very different courses, and you will really enjoy either.

I have to disagree with the suggestion that Pacific Dunes is in any way a more enjoyable golfing experience than Horizons - or even Nelson Bay GC, for that matter.

Sydney Hacker
31st December 2009, 08:21 AM
i played pac dunes and horizons just over a month ago and found both to be enjoyable. Both were in good nick at the time. Belmont is also well worth a hit Andy so you probably can't go wrong.

AndyP
31st December 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the Pacific Dunes suggestions, but I've already played there. It was good value at the $35 twilight rate.

Hopefully I get the opportunity to play both Horizons and Belmont in my future trips.

Minor_Threat
31st December 2009, 08:51 AM
Horizons is a much better track all round compared to Pacific Dunes.

ParMaster
31st December 2009, 01:06 PM
Why not play Ellerston? :)

Belmont is a very good course so I suggest you go have a game there Andy.

AndyP
2nd August 2010, 02:09 PM
Any love for Maitland GC?

Minor_Threat
2nd August 2010, 02:31 PM
Any love for Maitland GC?It is nothing special mate, although I haven't played there for about 10 years. I remember it was very dry back then!

Tongueboy
2nd August 2010, 05:19 PM
charlestown is good. steelworks is ok

AndyP
2nd August 2010, 05:26 PM
Is Steelworks the Shortland Waters course? It's either that or Maitland, I think. I'd take my workmate to Pac Dunes or Vintage, but he would lose too many balls to appreciate it.

We are meeting some people for dinner in the Hunter Valley on Wednesday and Maitland is on the way. It seemed easier for him, while being cheaper. It good a decent wrap for value for money from the ISG course comments.

Minor_Threat
2nd August 2010, 06:13 PM
Is Steelworks the Shortland Waters course? It's either that or Maitland, I think. I'd take my workmate to Pac Dunes or Vintage, but he would lose too many balls to appreciate it.

We are meeting some people for dinner in the Hunter Valley on Wednesday and Maitland is on the way. It seemed easier for him, while being cheaper. It good a decent wrap for value for money from the ISG course comments.Steelworks is Shortland yes.. Both Shortland and Charlestown are very wet at them moment. Is Belmont too far away?

AndyP
2nd August 2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Belmont is a bit too far when coming from Williamtown. I'll save it for my next trip.

Tongueboy
2nd August 2010, 06:49 PM
Kurri is five minutes away from Maitland and is a good track if there has been plenty of rain about. pretty good nick also. greens have a bit of speed about them.

AndyP
2nd August 2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks.

Haystacks
3rd August 2010, 08:20 AM
Hey Andy. You could always give Muree Golf Club a go in Raymond Terrace.
4 holes a bit boggy at the moment, but not a bad track otherwise.

AndyP
3rd August 2010, 09:02 AM
This lovely weather is putting a round of golf in serious doubt.

https://www.storesonlinepro.com/files/1791876/uploaded/GoftCourse.jpg

Minor_Threat
3rd August 2010, 10:11 AM
This weather is very reminscent of when the Pasha Bulker come aground at Nobbys..

http://www.theboyslightup.com/assets/Storm/Pasha%20Bulker.jpg

AndyP
5th August 2010, 12:48 AM
As I've stated elsewhere, I played at Kurri GC today. It suited the criteria of handling the wet and being on the way to Pokolbin, and we just squeezed in 18.

We played the back nine first. If I had only played that I would have walked away disappointed. The only hole I found interesting was the uphill par 5 18th (I found it interesting before I got my bird on it). The fairways on the course are nothing special, but the greens are good, although there are plenty of pitch marks about.

Does anyone know why they have routed 11 and 15 where they are? I can only assume speed of play has dictated the decision, as I can't think of any other logical reason why you would have golfers finish 11 and walk behind the 15th green to get to 12, and vice versa, finish 15 and walk behind the 11th green to get to 16, when the tees are side by side. Very strange. 12 hole comps?

The recent plentiful rain has made the course soft, but the course seems to have handled it well otherwise. There were some puddles on some of the higher parts of the course where it seems to flatten out, but overall it was very playable.

Fortunately we got to play the front nine as well (finished just before it got too dark). I'm very glad I did. It seemed so much better than the back. I'm not sure why. The dam certainly added to the interest, with both a par 3 and par 4 having to play over it.

In summary, a good country track, but if you only had time to play nine, definitely play the front.

Tongueboy
5th August 2010, 07:32 AM
been like that for around 18 months. as to why who knows