PDA

View Full Version : Instructional Design - Seeking Participants.

Ducky
22nd September 2004, 06:19 AM
Hello everyone,

As a part of the web design course I am currently doing, we have to create an interactive instructional design program on a topic of our choice. Of course, being the golfing fanatic that I am, I have chosen advanced golfing techniques.

I am looking for some volunteers to participate in the program. All that is required for each participant is to review any drafts or prototypes of the instructional design program and give me feedback based on the various areas. A mix of participants of different skill levels would be ideal. All participants will receive a final version of the instructional design program on an interactive CD and a little golfing gift as a token of my appreciation.

:)

I have uploaded a PDF version of the overview report that I had to present to the teacher (it is available HERE (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bencummings/files/3756H_Assignment.pdf)) and it should give you a better idea of what is involved in the instructional design program. Anyone interested can reply back to this topic or send me a PM.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

AndyP
22nd September 2004, 08:37 AM
I have uploaded a PDF version of the overview report that I had to present to the teacher (it is available here) and it should give you a better idea of what is involved in the instructional design program.
:?: Where's the PDF, Ducky? :?

Ducky
22nd September 2004, 09:52 AM
Whoops! I edited the original post, so it should work now.

Try to ignore all the waffle in relation to learning theories, as it's just something I had to include in the report. Basically, it's just going to be an interactive flash program that will feature several sections with videos and diagrams on how to perform 'advanced' golf shots. All I need participants to do is give me feedback based on the learning environment, the design, the accuracy of the information, etc. It may be several weeks before a prototype is even made, so it's not urgent or a lot of commitment.

If there are any mistakes in the report, please let me know (as I haven't submitted it yet).

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

amanda
22nd September 2004, 09:56 AM
I'll help you out Ben - as a fellow researcher, I know finding subjects/testers can be a PITA.

One question - how are you going to ensure that we ar "behavioural learners"? A questionnaire that identifies our learning style?

andylo
22nd September 2004, 10:08 AM
Hi Ben,

If you have a set of question ready (and it doesn't require a lot of words :lol: ) I will help

Ducky
22nd September 2004, 10:24 AM
I can't recall exactly all the learning theories very well (we learnt them quite a while back), but I will try to explain the best that I can what a behavioural learner is. Basically, it's the process of observing how others behave, and then imitating it through our own behaviour.

Let’s say for example, that I was a young infant and you were an older sister. We're both sitting down at the table to eat breakfast (I'm in my high chair of course). You're eating cereal, where as I have some kind of baby food. My natural instinct would be to use my hand to scoop up the food into my mouth, where as you know better and scoop up the food using a spoon. From me observing your behaviour and imitating it myself, I am able to come to the realisation that using my hands is not acceptable for scooping up the food, where as using a spoon is.

As golf is very much a practical game which relies a lot on feel and visualisation, the best type of method to teach it would be through a behavioural learning theory. If your task was to hit a fade, you'd probably learn better if you saw me visually demonstrating and giving the instruction, as opposed to writing a few paragraphs of text on how to do it.

Basically, it's the notion of 'here's how I do it, now you do it too'. It's extremely common in learning exercises, so it's the safest bet.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

McMw
22nd September 2004, 10:25 AM
ducky, if you're gonna post the link as a shortcut, PLEASE either use a differnt colour or bold/underline it.... :wink:

if I couldn't find it inside 10secs, I'm not gonna bother...but that's just me!!! :lol:

Ducky
22nd September 2004, 10:31 AM
If you have a set of question ready (and it doesn't require a lot of words :lol: ) I will help
Nah, I'm just going to run with the behavioural learning theory and hope that the result is good. I think it should be a lot of fun, as I do enjoy playing the 'advanced' shots (even if they don't come off right each time) and also enjoy teaching them to other players. I also hope anyone who decides to use the instructional design program will enjoy it too.

Now... to find a camcorder...

:D

ducky, if you're gonna post the link as a shortcut, PLEASE either use a differnt colour or bold/underline it...
You should be taking this up with the moderators who manage the CSS, not poor old innocent me!

:P

I have changed it now, though.

:wink:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

markTHEblake
24th September 2004, 06:24 PM
Slighly off topic, but have you had any experience with Mambo?
http://www.mamboserver.com/

you being a golf fanatic and a webhead i need some help with some websites I manage.

Ducky
24th September 2004, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't used or heard much about Mambo so I can't really tell you anything you're probably not aware of already. It reminds me very much of something like PHP-Nuke, although on the website it claims that it isn't a "portal". I can see how it would be handy for content management, but I find that in regards to the design and layout it is usually quite difficult to make it unique.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

markTHEblake
24th September 2004, 10:58 PM
Mambo is pretty much exactly the same as PHPNuke. I have got a 3 sites running it, but need to customise one of the templates to look like a golf website, which is beyond my patience.....

Ducky
25th September 2004, 06:54 AM
If the stylising of the pages is done through the use of CSS, it is extremely easy to change the colours, and customised images can be used in replace of the existing one to give it a 'golf' theme, but the general layout of the page is usually quite difficult to change in relation to 'portal' software.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

AndyP
25th September 2004, 07:55 PM
Hmmm. :-k No idea what you lads are talking about. :?

hmmmm
29th September 2004, 11:53 AM
I don;t think they do either...what a load of crap! :roll:

BrisVegas
29th September 2004, 12:21 PM
I don;t think they do either...what a load of crap! :roll:

Welcome aboard hmmmm. Like your style! :lol:

Ducky
29th September 2004, 02:31 PM
Don't take my thread off the rails...

:x

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

AndyP
29th September 2004, 02:57 PM
Ducky, I thought that would have only been worth a "Regards", not a "Kind Regards". :? :mrgreen:

Ducky
29th September 2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for that, Andy.

Regards,

Ben (Ducky).