PDA

View Full Version : Aussie makes it to the big show

Courty
29th June 2007, 01:55 PM
Aussie basketballing prodigy Brad Newley has been selected in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft today. The Houston Rockets picked him with the 24th pick of the 2nd round (54th overall) making him the latest in a select few Aussies to make it to the best league in the world. Whether he gets any playing time is another matter...

Still, it's another sign that international basketball standards are quickly catching up to the US of A. There are now more than 50 international players in the NBA. The only other currently contracted Aussie is Andrew Bogut, who was the No. 1 pick 2 years ago.

Go Aussie!

dc68
29th June 2007, 01:58 PM
pfft...........

Courty
29th June 2007, 02:26 PM
pfft...........

Considering his first contract will likely be as much as an entire NRL team's salary cap, I think it's a big deal.

Jarro
29th June 2007, 02:30 PM
:smt015

dc68
29th June 2007, 03:48 PM
Considering his first contract will likely be as much as an entire NRL team's salary cap, I think it's a big deal.

Basketball is as exciting as AFL the only differences are you don't get something for missing and it is played indoors.

Yep and you could pay an entire NBL franchise how many times with a League salary cap?

Courty
29th June 2007, 03:50 PM
Exactly my point. His earning potential has just jumped exponentially. That makes it a bigger deal.

dc68
29th June 2007, 03:54 PM
So your point is comparing what someone is paid in the US to what someone is paid in Oz? Well when speaking in $$ compare it to the local product, not a totally different sport. Bag it's watchability yes but don't compare what the players are paid.