PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 18th June

Grunt
22nd June 2007, 04:55 PM
Whats going on here? Dont tell me I am the 1st to play this week!

Played @ Macarthur Grange this afternoon as a practice round before tomorrows Handicap matchplay 1st Round. Played well, played smart.

Gross 86
Nett 68
9 Fairways
3 Gir
1/5 Up & Downs
36 Putts

Hopefully I will play as well tomorrow. The guy I have drawn is giving me a shot in the Matchplay.

Jarro
22nd June 2007, 06:06 PM
37 points around Nudgee today.

No stats were kept but i think i hit 7 fairways, and about the same number of greens. Putts were probably in the low 30's.

BrisVegas
23rd June 2007, 12:07 PM
2 man ambrose today, in the cold and rain. If I'd known what the comp was, I'd have stayed in my warm bed....

Anyway, I paired up with a 5 marker and we had 72 gross, 66.5 nett.

Played my ball almost exclusively for the first 10 holes and then my partner chimed in with some good pitch shots. As a team we left a heap out there and had way too many putts. We had 3 x team 3-putts for goodness sake. I worked out my own stats and they were:-

78 gross for 72 nett
12 fairways
11 GIR
35 putts

as a team, we hit 2 more greens and had 3 less putts... Looking forward to tomorrow, I'm hitting it ok-ish...

Grunt
23rd June 2007, 12:59 PM
Played in the 1st round of the handicap matchplay. Got up for a win 4 & 3 :p. Play a 13 marker next week, so will be getting 5 shots.

Courty
23rd June 2007, 01:33 PM
Chris32 & I played 18 holes at Pebble Beach last night (on the golf simulator at the Tap Inn in Adelaide), with Marcel along as caddy/ observer.
Chris & I each shot mid 80s, both scores reflecting the penal nature of the heavy rough. Missed fairways were a certain bogey or worse! I thought it was going to be easy after 2 birds in the first 4 holes, but I was soon brought back to earth after a few poor tee shots resulting in double bogies.

The whole simulation thing was a novel experience. The software component was very similar to golf games I have played on Playstation etc, but instead of using a controller to make your shots, you hit a real ball using your own clubs inside a large alcove with a screen showing the course at the front. The screen also doubles as a net to catch the ball. There are radar sensors at the front of the room which sense the balls speed & trajectory, translated instantaneously onscreen as a ball flying into the distance. Your shot stats are shown onscreen immediately after the ball has come to rest, showing carry, total distance, launch angle and ball speed. The computer keeps all your stats during the round and is displayed when you are finished. The only letdown was the computers sensitivity to putting.

There is a synthetic mat on the ground much like a driving range with rubber tee for driving. To the outside of the mat is several sections of longer synthetic material which replicates fringe, 1st cut of rough, heavy rough & even sand.

All-in-all it was a quite realistic experience (apart from the fact that we teed off at 8:30pm and finished 18 holes in just over an hour).

A highly recommended alternative if the weather is prohibitive of an enjoyable round at a real course. :smt023

BrisVegas
23rd June 2007, 01:37 PM
sounds cool Courty. FWIW the rough at Pebble is ridiculous. I was lucky to have been hitting it really well off the tee when I played it and avoided much of the trouble. I played the Sunday before the AT&T and the course was sensational, but certainly playable. I can only imagine what it's like when they pinch in the fairways for a US Open...

The greens are surprisingly small too. The first 3 holes really suck you in don't they! It's not til the second shot into 4 and then the 5th that you cop the full force of the wind off the ocean.

Courty
23rd June 2007, 01:40 PM
sounds cool Courty. FWIW the rough at Pebble is ridiculous. I was lucky to have been hitting it really well off the tee when I played it and avoided much of the trouble. I played the Sunday before the AT&T and the course was sensational, but certainly playable. I can only imagine what it's like when they pinch in the fairways for a US Open...

The greens are surprisingly small too. The first 3 holes really suck you in don't they! It's not til the second shot into 4 and then the 5th that you cop the full force of the wind off the ocean.

We turned the wind off. :twisted:

BrisVegas
23rd June 2007, 01:44 PM
hahaha. To give you an idea how strong it was blowing when I played... the 108 yard par 3 7th (which plays steeply down hill)..... I hit a hard 7 iron punch.

shazza_rs
23rd June 2007, 03:09 PM
Played today at riverlakes.

V Par event........

I managed to play okay for a 1- to finish... actually had 90/74 so two over.... played pretty solidly... had a few crap chip shots but thats about it.

jimandr
23rd June 2007, 04:25 PM
I'm a bit thankful to have got a game today after the rain Sydney has had recently. The course was a bit soggy in places, but all the dams are full. I played quite well without making anything good happen for 34 points. Two bad holes where I turned a hopeful good chip and par into a bad chip and double bogey hurt the score.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in Reg = 10 of 18, not many close ones though
Putts = 35, no birdies, 1 3putt
Up&Down = 1 of 5
Sand Saves = 0 of 1

AndyP
23rd June 2007, 08:27 PM
23/06/2007, Nambour GC, Par.

6/12 effective T-shots.
4/18 effective approaches.
8/14 up & down successes.
29 putts.
--------------
11 pars.
1 bogey.
6 doubles.

Score 42-39-81 par -2 (Par 34-34-68 ACR 65)

I think someone spiked my water with angry pills today, because I was a shirty man, and I'm not sure why. Looking at the stats above, I can see that when I stuffed a hole, I stuffed it good (double), but I actually had plenty of pars too. I should have just forgetten about the bad holes and usually I do but maybe I was carrying some mental baggage from last week.

The score wasn't that bad, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. I was even grumbling after a couple of pluses. I've been doubting my grip (been getting pain in my hand for a while now), my stance (too close? too far away? upright enough?) and my swing (who doesn't?). Good signs.....

Next round: 24/6, Tew-Noosa GC, Qld Mixed 4somes.

oz
23rd June 2007, 09:36 PM
I played solidly today, in a 4BBB, but my partner and I were out of synch. Played from the 10th tee, and really played some nice golf over the last 9. Hit all of the back 9 greens (holes 1 thru 9) except one, which I missed by 3 feet, and managed to grrind out 9 pars on that side (if you allow me a 3 footer which I didn't have to putt on the 6th, because my partner had scored). Missed a couple of good birdie opportunities, but played solid. We finished with a measly 41 points.

mike
24th June 2007, 02:40 PM
Pebble Beach , Courty ?

How many balls did you lose ?

Courty
24th June 2007, 03:40 PM
Pebble Beach , Courty ?

How many balls did you lose ?

Surprisingly, none. :mrgreen:

Although Chris did donate one to King Neptune. ;)

Jono
24th June 2007, 07:37 PM
Wow ... how cool is that place?

http://www.tapinn.com.au/drivingrange.htm

Play an easy 18 around St Andrews after work ... or Pebble Beach on a rainy day ...

How about the indoor driving range?

Driving Range1000 square metres alone is dedicated to a fully automated indoor driving range, the first in the world attached to a hotel. Providing fourteen driving bays on two levels, where two bays have been specially designed for left handed patrons. Golfers can hit 100 balls in half an hour without having to touch a ball, and will experience a full 50metre hit each time. Individual radar units calculate every hit that a golfer makes, while two bays have the added facility of a digital recording system, offering a three camera DVD recording of a patrons swing for golfers to retain and analyse.

Man, they should build something like this in Sydney ... :smt060

:lol:

AndyP
24th June 2007, 08:34 PM
24/06/2007, Tewantin Noosa GC, Qld Mixed Foursomes.

Hit the driver okay, although not overly consistent. I didn't seem to have a consistent miss with the irons, and was rarely hitting it straight. On the whole, I thought I was rolling the putts pretty well, and a good length, considering I usually struggle with faster greens, but I started to stuff a few near the end.

The chipping by the end of the day was an absolute disaster and a "liability" (this is what Shaz called me at one stage), mostly hitting it thin. Except when I told her she'd put the ball in a position where I could probably avoid hitting it thin, but was a chance of hitting it fat. I did so, and it went less than a metre.

Wishing I could claim +0.1. ;)

Next round: 06/07, Glades.

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2007, 09:14 PM

Play an easy 18 around St Andrews after work ... or Pebble Beach on a rainy day ...

Driving Range1000 square metres alone is dedicated to a fully automated indoor driving range, the first in the world attached to a hotel. Providing fourteen driving bays on two levels, where two bays have been specially designed for left handed patrons. Golfers can hit 100 balls in half an hour without having to touch a ball, and will experience a full 50metre hit each time. Individual radar units calculate every hit that a golfer makes, while two bays have the added facility of a digital recording system, offering a three camera DVD recording of a patrons swing for golfers to retain and analyse.

Man, they should build something like this in Sydney ... :smt060

:lol:

There was on james rouse drive but it shut down, i played once or twice, it was fun but $$. pitty it closed down. same thin with the simulated rough, bunkers etc

marcel
24th June 2007, 09:48 PM

jono, you're missing the big picture

they sell beer

Chris32
25th June 2007, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed the sim, was great fun

As Courty said, the putting lets it down a little, but as marcel points out, the beer makes up for it

I will get some pics up tomorrow

marcel
25th June 2007, 05:21 PM
I should add that the sim even comes with simulated golf carts, how lazy is that

Courty
17th July 2007, 10:49 AM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4086/tapinn03vd5.jpg