PDA

View Full Version : Iron Lofts

mikezone13
22nd June 2007, 04:53 PM
Here I ws getting a bit bored and thought I would seek a little bit of comment about something that has always surprised me.

Why is that the "game improvement" irons (r7 Draw, Cleveland CG4, Cally Big Bertha, Titleist 775 etc) have lower lofts in their clubs (mostly in the short irons but also in the longer irons).

You woudl say that people who need game improvement irons may have a problem getting the ball in the air so higher lofts would be needed. Although I am sure this group of golfers also likes to 'hit the ball further than their mate' so maybe the lower lofts and increased distance ara trade off for decreased accuracy.

Anyway, I put together the attached list of 31 different sets from 6 major manufacturers and the manufatcurer of my irons (Wishon) to give some camparisons and hopefully get some more comment from you guys.

markTHEblake
22nd June 2007, 04:56 PM
Lower lofts, ball goes further, more people buy them.

Wedges used to be 50 degrees (even 52), now they are as low as 46. Thats why you need a Gap wedge.

PeteyD
22nd June 2007, 04:57 PM
so they think they hit them further.

Courty
22nd June 2007, 05:04 PM
Exactly what the 2 guys before me said. Choppers try out a set of these 'game improvement' irons and find that, lo & behold, not only are they hitting them straighter, they're also hitting them a club or two longer than before. Usually enough justification to buy them. Of course, everyone on this forum knows better. ;)

goughy
22nd June 2007, 05:24 PM
Try ping lofts, which are often in the . degree. As in 45.3* etc. They seem to be the only company that does that.

My i3+ lofts, 3i 20.7*, 4i 23.8*, 5I 27*, 6i 30.6*, 7i 34.4*, 8i 38.4*, 9i 42.7*, pw 47.2*

Jono
22nd June 2007, 07:15 PM
Lower loft, lower center of gravity. The ball goes just as high but with less spin. More distance.

BrisVegas
22nd June 2007, 08:24 PM
surprising to see a couple of sets with 44deg Pitching Wedges!

I guess in the end it doesn't matter what number is on the bottom of the club.

mikezone13
22nd June 2007, 08:35 PM
surprising to see a couple of sets with 44deg Pitching Wedges!

True... best part for me is the Wishons with the 48* PW fit the gap great to go 52/53, 56 and 60 and keep constant loft gaps.

markTHEblake
22nd June 2007, 08:38 PM

it does when they dont make the 3 iron 4 degrees less to match

So instead of having 9 clubs to cover 20deg to 56deg loft range we now need 10!

(errr if my maths are wrong, its the cold...)

Chris32
25th June 2007, 02:37 PM
Also, doesn't offset add loft?

so in theory, a club with more offset but stronger loft will launch the same as a club with less offset but weaker loft??

Rusty
26th June 2007, 10:03 PM
great work Mike very interesting. it makes sense, but i'd be very surprised if manufacturers one day put the degrees on the bottom of the club instead of the number - no way to say that the ball will go further then.

markTHEblake
27th June 2007, 12:52 AM
Iron loft Comparison chart with the older clubs - ie mashie etc
http://www.hickorygolf.com/pages/ironcomparisoncss.html

And a good explanation about why manufacturers do this
http://www.leaderboard.com/LOFTINFO.HTM