PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid out this weekend?

oz
22nd June 2007, 07:18 AM
I am starting to swing the club pretty well again, and am toying with taking the Wishon 321Li out of the bag for a while, and putting the Mac 4 iron back in. It is pretty bloody forgiving, anyway, but the ability to vary the trajectory a bit more might be good.

Long term, I would probably like to drop the 3 & 5 woods, replacing with a good 4 wood, and adding a hybrid at around 20-21*......

Stableford round tommorrow, and in truth there aren't a huge number of 4 iron shots at Thurgoona, so I might give it a spin.

Grunt
22nd June 2007, 11:09 AM
Oz, go the 4 wood option. I did and it has been the best move by far I have ever done with selecting a club. By killing 2 birds with one stone, took the 3 wood and the 5 wood out, it has enabled me to have an extra wedge in the bag and given me a good option off the tee when distance is not really a requirement.

glen
22nd June 2007, 11:23 AM
I have done the same thing,Driver,4 wood then 3 iron bent strong. Then can carry 4 wedges,46,50,54,60. Has really helped even out some distance gaps.

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2007, 11:28 AM
46* is much akin to a PW?

I'm still dubious whether choppers need 4 wedges. They be much better served with more clubs among the 14-22* dispersion. At least you have more options to miss greens with in the first place.

Oz - I'm a strong believer of long-irons. I doubt I'll ever replace the 4-iron, but my 2nd hand set came without a 3-iron, so I've used a 22* hybrid (Snake Eyes) very effectively in its place.

Jarro
22nd June 2007, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking of dropping my 19* TM rescue and putting the 3 iron back in the bag also.

I've toyed with the idea of a 4 wood, and after reading your post, i think i might seriously look at getting one .... i hardly ever hit my 3 wood anymore anyway :-s

BrisVegas
22nd June 2007, 03:50 PM
blasphemy! 19 hybrid is the shit. couldn't live without it.

mikezone13
22nd June 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking of dropping my 19* TM rescue and putting the 3 iron back in the bag also.

I've toyed with the idea of a 4 wood, and after reading your post, i think i might seriously look at getting one .... i hardly ever hit my 3 wood anymore anyway :-s

Don't do it... the rescue is a little god, so much more versatile than a 3 iron...

And I never thought I'd say that having carried a butterknife 2iron for years... it took me a while to get used to the hybrid, but I won't go back now.. even tempted to drop the 4 iron and get a 22* or 25* to go in the bag...

Currently my bag looks like this...

Driver 9.5*
3 wood 15*
2i Hybrid 19*
4i 24*
5i 28*
6i 32*
7i 36*
8i 40*
9i 44*
PW 48*
Gappy 53.08 - might bend it to 52* to even up the gap...
Sandy 56.14
Lobby 60.05

Jarro
22nd June 2007, 04:10 PM
Maybe i just need a new shaft in my hybrid.

The reg TX-90 doesn't seem to work that well for me ??

Maybe an S300 like in my irons ?

mikezone13
22nd June 2007, 04:32 PM
Go graphite young jar...ho .... or at least a DG SL shaft

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2007, 04:46 PM
Go a stock shaft. I find the TM stock stiff pretty useful in my Dual.

Jarro
22nd June 2007, 04:56 PM
Go graphite young jar...ho .... or at least a DG SL shaft

yeah good idea mate, a SL might be just what i'm after actually :mrgreen:

I'll talk to my clubmaker about it ;)

mikezone13
22nd June 2007, 04:57 PM
yeah good idea mate, a SL might be just what i'm after actually :mrgreen:

I'll talk to my clubmaker about it ;)

my bill is in the mail ;)

Courty
22nd June 2007, 05:07 PM
Maybe i just need a new shaft in my hybrid.

The reg TX-90 doesn't seem to work that well for me ??

Maybe an S300 like in my irons ?

JarHo, try graphite. I have an Aldila NVS (85g) in my Cally hybrid and it works a treat.

glen
22nd June 2007, 06:49 PM
46* is much akin to a PW?

I'm still dubious whether choppers need 4 wedges. They be much better served with more clubs among the 14-22* dispersion. At least you have more options to miss greens with in the first place.

Oz - I'm a strong believer of long-irons. I doubt I'll ever replace the 4-iron, but my 2nd hand set came without a 3-iron, so I've used a 22* hybrid (Snake Eyes) very effectively in its place.

Sorry Fishy,
I didn't realise my 2 handicap makes me a chopper on this forum.

BrisVegas
22nd June 2007, 06:50 PM
depends how you hit it. If you treat it like a long iron then it makes sense to put the same shaft as in your irons. Otherwise a graphite should gve you a bit more swingspeed.

oz
22nd June 2007, 07:30 PM
At my level of golf, shooting mid to mid-high 70's, I got no business hitting 2 & 3 irons. Even the 4 iron is a questionable call, with my swing in anything but best shape. For me, it is a question of finding the right loft combinations in the FW's and upper hybrids. 4 wedges are a staple in my bag.

oz
22nd June 2007, 10:24 PM
Actually, I've just finished cleaning my gear for tomorrow's round, and I think I have talked myself out of removing the hackstick. It will stay in, for tomorrow, and I'll do little head to head testing on the range next week (4-iron vs. hybrid).

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2007, 12:52 AM
Depends what you like hitting i guess.

I cant hit woods off the deck for crap, but ive always been able to nail 2 and 3 irons all day long.

Whatever you feel you can hit the best chuck in the bag!

3oneday
23rd June 2007, 05:56 AM
Sorry Fishy,
I didn't realise my 2 handicap makes me a chopper on this forum.I saw that when he wrote it too, remember Fish has dropped a few shots off his handicap these days, which means his opinion is highly regarded ;)

Just ask him :lol:

Jono
23rd June 2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Oz,

Do you mind if I ask you where you got the Wishon hybrid?

oz
23rd June 2007, 08:27 AM
Sure Jono. I bought it here. I got the 4, 5, and 6 hybrids along with a set of Wishon forged irons. They are good hybrids. If the 4 iron experiment goes well, though, the hybrids will go on the market to help fund the 4 wood & 20* hybrid project.

AndyP
23rd June 2007, 09:09 AM
I saw that when he wrote it too, remember Fish has dropped a few shots off his handicap these days, which means his opinion is highly regarded ;)

Just ask him :lol:
The long game is more important than the short game, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

oz
23rd June 2007, 11:00 AM
:lol: @ AP

Jarro
23rd June 2007, 11:03 AM
depends how you hit it. If you treat it like a long iron then it makes sense to put the same shaft as in your irons. Otherwise a graphite should gve you a bit more swingspeed.

Interesting point that. I was under the impression that you were supposed to play them like a long iron, and hit down on them :?

If that's true then it would make much more sense to put in the same shaft as your irons have in them :-k

Jono
23rd June 2007, 06:15 PM
Sure Jono. I bought it here. I got the 4, 5, and 6 hybrids along with a set of Wishon forged irons. They are good hybrids. If the 4 iron experiment goes well, though, the hybrids will go on the market to help fund the 4 wood & 20* hybrid project.

Ahh. I knew those hybrids well ... :lol: The components were bought from kwantfm ... I sold them to Serz, if I remember correctly.

At one stage, I had Wishon hybrids in 2,3,4,5 and 6 irons. :shock: Number 4 hybrid was my favourite. 8)

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2007, 08:21 PM
Sorry Fishy,
I didn't realise my 2 handicap makes me a chopper on this forum.

Glen - you're so vain. You probably think this thread is about you.. (dont you, don't you....).

My post wasn't ;)

oz
23rd June 2007, 10:31 PM
Well, the 4 iron stayed in the garage, and the hackstick stayed in the bag. Got used once today (last iron shot of the day). Par 4 9th (my 18th), I hit my drive with a high cut to the outside of the dogleg, leaving 190 to the green. Nice high draw with the hackstick, and I had a 25 foot birdie putt.... which I missed.

oz
15th July 2007, 02:02 PM
Dropped the hybrid out today, in favour of the 4 iron. Hit the 4 iron from the tee on a couple of the shorter par 4's at Howlong. And hit a nice tee shot on the long par 3 13th, too. I hit one poorly, but the rest were solid and playable. A bit tougher from thin lies, but certainly very playable from the tee, or a halfway decent lie.