PDA

View Full Version : Conceding in Strokeplay.

raidrboy
12th June 2007, 09:01 PM
I watched a replay of the CA-BA Open on the European Tour last night and on the 1st play-off hole Jean-Francois Remesy conceded the hole to Richard Green. I have never seen this happen before on any of the tours. I know it is a common occurence in match play, but has anyone seen it occur in a strokeplay event?

goughy
12th June 2007, 09:05 PM
Was he just that far out of the hole that he figured 'why stretch it out'. In essence, a play off is just matchplay, not strokeplay.

Moe Norman
12th June 2007, 09:24 PM
sudden death playoffs are matchplay mate.

marcel
12th June 2007, 09:58 PM
I don't think he can concede the hole or a shot as such. If he still hadn't holed out and has had as many strokes as Green who had holed out, then he may pick up.

raidrboy
12th June 2007, 10:59 PM
sudden death playoffs are matchplay mate.

Not doubting your knowledge of the game but can you tell me the rule that covers this as neither player had holed out. I am just curious but as I stated in my earlier post I have never seen that before.

Moe Norman
12th June 2007, 11:23 PM
The rule that covers it, is that sudden death play offs are pleyed under matchplay rules.

As such, either player can concede before the other has holed out.

raidrboy
13th June 2007, 04:20 PM
I don't think he can concede the hole or a shot as such. If he still hadn't holed out and has had as many strokes as Green who had holed out, then he may pick up.

I agree with you Marcel.

Moe Norman
13th June 2007, 08:01 PM
Under matchplay rules....neither person HAS to hole out for someone to concede the hole.

raidrboy
13th June 2007, 09:19 PM
Under matchplay rules....neither person HAS to hole out for someone to concede the hole.

Moe,

What I am interested in mate is where is the rule that covers this action as like I said in my earlier post I have never seen it happen before.

Moe Norman
13th June 2007, 09:40 PM
you've never seen someone concede a hole in matchplay?

I've conceded a hole halfway up the fairway after pumping 3 balls OB and my opponent was safely on the fringe of the green for 3.....

AndyP
13th June 2007, 09:57 PM
I think raidrboy is looking for the specific rule (a rule number or link) that states that a playoff is played by matchplay rules.

goughy
13th June 2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/survival_kit/settling_ties.html

33-6. Decision of Ties
The Committee must announce the manner, day and time for
the decision of a halved match or of a tie, whether played on
level terms or under handicap.
A halved match must not be decided by stroke play. A tie in
stroke play must not be decided by a match. (this was taken from the R&A rules of golf. The link above just has a further explanation)

Interesting. Firstly that says to me that you can't concede a hole. Secondly it says that they shouldn't be using sudden death playoffs anyway.

Moe Norman
13th June 2007, 10:17 PM
there isn't a rule - its specific to the tournament.

sudden death playoffs with 2 people are generally matchplay rules. 18 hole playoffs are strokeplay.

The fact that he conceded the hole is all the evidence required to conclude that this sudden death playoff was conducted under matchplay rules.

goughy
13th June 2007, 10:19 PM
:smt116 the finger is just pointing up, above your post Moe ;)

Moe Norman
13th June 2007, 10:26 PM
club golf mate, there are about 100 rules specific to the PGA tour.

goughy
13th June 2007, 10:37 PM
The link is specific to the usga.

But the rule 33-6 is from our R&A rules. Found a pdf copy online from the R&A website.

So that begs the question, in club golf do we follow the R&A rules of golf? Could it be that what raidrboy is describing occured because people see this stuff on the pga tours, but was in fact outside the rules of golf as we in australia are supposed to follow?

Moe Norman
13th June 2007, 10:43 PM
In Australia and everywhere else except the USA, we follow the R&A.

In the USA, they follow the USGA.

In professional events they use the rules relevant to the location, then also apply tournament specific rules. Just as a golf club uses the relevant rules, then applies 'Local Rules'.

goughy
13th June 2007, 10:46 PM
In Australia and everywhere else except the USA, we follow the R&A.

In the USA, they follow the USGA.

Yes, I know.

What your saying is, although rule 33-6 says you can't decide a tie in strokeplay with matchplay, a club can stipulate a 'local rule' that allows this?

markTHEblake
14th June 2007, 12:31 AM
I saw on the telly once where the result was done and dusted before the players got to the green (virtually) and the commentators mentioned that the losing player couldnt concede. Cant remember where or when, but seems pointless really not to concede.

Speirsy11
14th June 2007, 09:43 AM
I saw on the telly once where the result was done and dusted before the players got to the green (virtually) and the commentators mentioned that the losing player couldnt concede. Cant remember where or when, but seems pointless really not to concede.

What they mean is a player cannot concede his opponent their shot. In other words, if you have a 3 footer for 5 and I say "It's good" and you pick it up, you lose. However, if I see you have a 2 footer for 4 and I have 12 feet for 8 I can pick up MY ball and in essence concede the hole.

markTHEblake
14th June 2007, 03:31 PM
What they mean is a player cannot concede his opponent their shot.

Nope, what they meant is that they guy who was obviously going to lose couldnt walk away, both had to hole out.

jimandr
14th June 2007, 09:24 PM
Whether its a rule or not, if the guy is off the green for 6 and the other is 3 feet from the hole in 4, which I think was the case in Green v Remesy, who is going to complain if Remesy picks his ball up?

The tournament is over as far as the scorecards are concerned, so Remesy can't be disqualified.

Having said that, I can't recall anyone ever doing it in a playoff before.

marcel
14th June 2007, 11:21 PM
who is going to complain if Remesy picks his ball up?

The tournament is over as far as the scorecards are concerned, so Remesy can't be disqualified.

If what he does is against the rules (and I don't know if it was) then the rules official will complain, and yes he can be disqualified. (or penalised, whatever)

andigold
15th June 2007, 07:23 PM
If what he does is against the rules (and I don't know if it was) then the rules official will complain, and yes he can be disqualified. (or penalised, whatever)

So if he is disqualified does that mean he forfeits his prize money?

marcel
15th June 2007, 07:30 PM
So if he is disqualified does that mean he forfeits his prize money?

Interesting point, maybe!! I guess it would be up to the Tournament committee unless it's already covered in the conditions of the tournament. I'd suggest getting 2nd place money would be appropriate.