PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 11 June 2007

jimandr
11th June 2007, 06:38 PM
Never miss a chance to start a new thread on this topic. Thats what I say (see last weeks thread if you need an explanation). Anyway....

Played Camden Valley today with Amanda and Brad. I played quite well for 38 points, made more painful by a 3putt on 17 after I hit a great iron that should've stopped near the flag but didn't.

Fairways = 10 of 14, last 6 in a row
Greens in Reg = 8 of 18, another 3 within a yard
Putts = 31, 1 birdie, two 3putts
Up&Down = 4 of 8
Sand Saves = 1 of 2

amanda
11th June 2007, 06:49 PM
Brad had a good day out with 35 pts at Camden Valley - had a bit of a melt down on the last hole unfortunately!

I had 29 pts - which was probably more than I thought I deserved. It started out a nice sunny day - but after 7 holes turned dim, cold and windy - not very nice when you're trying to get over a cold. So I was a bit miserable - sorry Jim for being a bit of a crap playing partner!

Bruce
11th June 2007, 06:52 PM
Played some sort of charity day at Dad's course today. 4BBB.

A scrappy 42 points as a team. I racked up a couple of 4 pointers but didn't do much else of note. My touch was pathetic around and on the greens. 6 GIRs for only 2 pars is just one indicator of how crap I was.

Coffs_Hacker
12th June 2007, 04:28 PM
35pts today. A typical "what coulda been"
20pts front with a wipe and only 15 on the back 1wipe and 2 1pts
5fir
7 gir
35putts

Coffs_Hacker
14th June 2007, 01:15 PM
Starting to feel like Grunt - 2 games in a week woohoo

35pts again - 18 front, 17 Back 1 wipe and 4x1pts
4fir
6 gir
34putts

BrisVegas
14th June 2007, 01:39 PM
2 weeks til bubs is due eh? make hay sunshine.

cazandpaul
14th June 2007, 02:32 PM
27 miserable points - it was slow and it was cold - after 8 years on the Gold Coast I think I have acclimatised - when is summer coming back?

Grunt
14th June 2007, 03:37 PM
Well I am feeling like you guys, 3 weeks and 2 games :(

Flowergirl
16th June 2007, 09:38 PM
Not much golf for me either this week. One of my girls that works for me broke a bone in her foot and will be off for the next 5 weeks. So my golf will be limited:shock:

9 holes today with Johnny boy.
43 (par 37) 4 pars 4 bogeys and 1 stupid double ( chipped into a bunker!!!)

no up and downs:smt093
no sand saves:smt093
18 putts.:smt093
Guess what part of my game lets me down. :smt087

Still loving the new driver and hybrids.:smt023

Grunt
17th June 2007, 10:19 AM
Woo Hoo Suns Out and I am off to Play Golf:smt038
Mac Grange has dried out enough for the course to reopen and the comp is on. Will be good to get my 2 games a week average again.

Grunt
17th June 2007, 05:54 PM
Well I played at the nice & wet Mac Grange today. Had a funny round, thought I could have played way better off the tee, but could have played worse.
Was a typical 18 marker day, I double bogied 17 and thought I was gone from playing to handicap, needing to par 18. I hit a horrible drive that never got to the fairway:oops:. I then hit a great recovery to give me a chance of par still. I hit the 3 iron from 185m out pure as, it faded a little and sat pin high in the fringe, I chipped it a little soft leaving a 10 foot putt. I nailed the putt; par 5:), I was stoked a nett 70 was a great result.:lol:
88 Gross
70 Nett
7 Fairways
2 GIR
4/11 Up & Downs
0/1 Sand Saves
33 putts

Jarro
17th June 2007, 05:56 PM
83 gross nett 72 around Nudgee today.

I haven't been keeping stats of late so don't know how many fairways or greens i hit, but it wouldn't have been many :roll:

Driver has been going well for me though, i feel really confident with it at the moment, but my ironplay needs work ... i keep trying to "hit" the ball instead of swing the club :(

I need to workon my short game though, duffed a few chips today that really put pressure on my putting.

mikezone13
17th June 2007, 06:18 PM
Driver has been going well for me though, i feel really confident with it at the moment, but my ironplay needs work ... i keep trying to "hit" the ball instead of swing the club :(

Solid shooting... your driving looked good the day I played Nudgee with you guys.

goughy
17th June 2007, 06:24 PM
He's selling himself short! His driving was great today.

Decided today to try the stack and tilt'ish swing. I do think it will be good for me. About midway through the round today I ceased straightening my right leg on the back swing and didn't realise till 3 or so hole left. It is amazing, reverse C with the straight right leg and I hit the ball way more solid than a reverse C with bent right leg.

Shot 88, which I was happy with. Put my name on 2 ntp's which is always good. Driving let me down, putting wasn't as bad as it seemed, though I'd have had close to 36 I guess. Short game sucked, but nothing new there.

And I had a ball. Thanks for everyone coming to nudgee today. Considering how many of us were still there an hour after we finished (I'd guess over an hour and a half for the early groups) I'd say it was a successful day.

Grunt
17th June 2007, 06:46 PM
Woo Hoo came 2nd:lol:..............

out of 7 starters:oops:

mikezone13
17th June 2007, 07:02 PM
At least you'll get a ball grant ;)

Grunt
17th June 2007, 07:04 PM
At least you'll get a ball grant ;)

Maybe Mike, it is Macarthur Grange remember ;)

AndyP
17th June 2007, 08:24 PM
17/06/2007, Nudgee Plate, Stroke.

9/14 effective T-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
3/12 up & down successes.
6 penalised shots.
34 putts.
---------------
4 pars.
7 bogeys.
5 doubles.
2 others.

Score (B9 1st) 49-49-98 nett 87 (Par 36-35-71 ACR 71)

I was tempted to just put down +0.1, but I'll report. Good or bad.

I didn't play as bad as my score today, I just stopped caring. It's hard to be motivated when your round is over early. Even harder when it's gone after two holes.

Huge pull drive left off the par 4 10th Tee (our first), punch up the 18th, blind shot into the green which was struck well but missed, thinned lob wedge through green into trap, ask for bet money back, then sand save for double.

22* Hybrid off the par 3 11th, which loses it's distance with the fade and hits the rocks on the far side of the hazard and bounces back in. Drop short of the water leaving a 50m pitch or something. Fat pitch into the drink. Drop. Fat pitch into the drink. Drop. Haphazard pitch in general direction of green. Shout of "Come on". Recover 2 balls from hazard. Failed up & down for a 10.

That's pretty hard to recover from. I cared just enough to keep trying for a little while (I actually parred the next 3 holes, and was still okay through 10). But once a double, then a triple crept in, the care factor dropped to zero, and I missed putts I would normally get.

I was happy with the driving, but inside 100m I was terrible. I think I'll play Nambour before the 4somes to finetune. :roll:

Next rounds: 23/7, Nambour GC, Par.
24/7, Tewantin-Noosa GC, Qld Mixed 4somes.

BrisVegas
17th June 2007, 09:27 PM
Played Nudgee with the gang.

80 gross for 74 nett
7 fairways
10 GIR
36 putts (including 3 x 3-jabbs)

Felt like I hit my irons ok, but that's about all. Never really got into a groove. My worst putting round for a long time. It felt like much worse than 80.

oz
18th June 2007, 09:56 AM
79 on Saturday, for a -1 in the par event. Putted OK with the new claw grip, but just lacked a little conviction to the speed of the putts. I like the grip, though, and will stick with it for a while.

Driving was solid, but my iron play was a little off. Just didn't hit enough balls close enough.

I am feeling better about my game, and am confident that I have turned a corner. Better scores to come......

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 02:30 PM
Nudgee Plate - 17th June

Frustrating round for me, hit the driver about as well as I could and let myself down with my iron play (new set in the bag)

Few times I had my yardages a bit out fo whack with the different sticks and a few mental errors thrown in.

Couldn't chip the ball into an olympic swimming pool and my usual solid bunker play was terrible.

Stats:
9/14 Fairways - only one really bad one that I had to chip out
7/18 Greens :( (oh dear)
33 Putts - 1 three jab from a solid birdie position and 1 chip in.
0/3 Sand Saves - left it in there once and knifed it 40m past the flag once :(
2/8 Up&Downs

Very poor result - normally if I hit the driver like that and have 33 putts I'd expect a score in the low 70's.

86 !

AndyP
18th June 2007, 02:31 PM
9/14 Fairways - only one really bad one that I had to chip out
13/14 effective T-shots? ;)

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 02:36 PM
17/06/2007, Nudgee Plate, Stroke.

22* Hybrid off the par 3 11th, which loses it's distance with the fade and hits the rocks on the far side of the hazard and bounces back in. Drop short of the water leaving a 50m pitch or something. Fat pitch into the drink. Drop. Fat pitch into the drink. Drop. Haphazard pitch in general direction of green. Shout of "Come on". Recover 2 balls from hazard. Failed up & down for a 10.

why were you pitching over the water? you could have dropped it to the left of the hazard about 20m short of the green with the water complete out of play if it hit those rocks and went into the water.

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 02:37 PM
13/14 effective T-shots? ;)
nope, there is nothign 'effective' about approaching the green from the rough or a fairway trap :?

AndyP
18th June 2007, 02:44 PM
why were you pitching over the water? you could have dropped it to the left of the hazard about 20m short of the green with the water complete out of play if it hit those rocks and went into the water.
Why? Is there a dropzone specific to the rocks?
I dropped it where it crossed the hazard line.

PeteyD
18th June 2007, 02:49 PM
I think he is implying that the rocks are out of the hazard and it bounced back in?

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 02:49 PM
it crossed the hazard line where the rocks are on the green side of the water, under the no nearer the hole rule you would need to track back along the edge of the hazard until you are no nearer the hole, could have even gone toward the 12th tee if you wanted.

dc68
18th June 2007, 02:52 PM
82 in the first round of club champs...... :roll:

Included 2 doubles, one triple and a quad. 11 over in 4 holes.....faaaaaaaaaaaacrying out loud. FFS.

AndyP
18th June 2007, 02:53 PM
Petey, this would also have applied to your T-shot at the 17th at Kooralbyn a couple of months ago then. :?:

PeteyD
18th June 2007, 03:20 PM
yea could well have. Should probably chuck up a thread and see what the consensus is ;)

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 03:31 PM
AP,

I hit it in the water on 11 as well.

I have attached a pic of the situation I faced.

Black dots being the ball flight and large circle being where it hit the water.

Red being the options for me of where I am permitted to drop it, and large red circle being where I did drop it.

I have done the same for your situation (guessing ball flight and where it landed in the water, including hitting rocks)

the red dots indicated where you could have dropped in my opinion based on what I know of the event.

PeteyD
18th June 2007, 03:35 PM
The 2 club lengths no nearer the hole is a tricky one. As long as the rocks are not part of the hazard. How would you determine that? if there is no painted red line?

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 03:49 PM
the significant issue is this 'no nearer the hole'

it doesn't say 'no nearer the green'

So dropping to the right of the rocks on the fringe of the green (or even on the green) is acceptable, provided the rocks aren't inside the hazard line.

dc68
18th June 2007, 03:54 PM
Moe, from Pvil's description you need to add more dots... he did hit it in there 3 times.

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 04:04 PM
excellent point dave :)

AndyP
18th June 2007, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't it depend on whether the hazard had either stakes or a line marking the boundary of the hazard (red dots on the attachment). Usually these are outside the water (and the rocks), and this is what I would have assumed.

From the tee position, it doesn't look many balls would come in from the side.

dc, I can put my other shots down in a different colour if you really want me to.

goughy
18th June 2007, 07:03 PM
This would have applies to azza as well. He completely cleared the water onto the grass just over the water, but his ball bounced back into the hazzard. He dropped over to the right of the hazzard, chipping over the water.

AndyP
18th June 2007, 07:08 PM
If he got onto the grass then he would have definitely been able to drop it on the otherside. I never got to the grass.

goughy
18th June 2007, 07:11 PM
He did drop on the other side, just to the right. He was only just chipping over the edge of the hazzard.

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 07:25 PM
some water hazards are only staked, as such if you hit the rocks you got over.

mine was a high fade and came in from the side.

AndyP
18th June 2007, 07:45 PM
The stakes mark the line of the hazard, even if it means grass inbetween is in the hazard. So unless stakes are in the water or at the bottom of the rocks, then the I think the rocks are part of the hazard (if there were stakes there).

Do any of the Nudgee members know if there are stakes or a hazard line?

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 08:00 PM
theres a hazard line on the tee side of the water, so there is probably one on the green side.

Despite this, even if your ball flew directly into the water, I would go back and drop so its not in the line of play - which you are permitted to do (i think) go back in line with the tee, or a line from the flag (?)

AndyP
18th June 2007, 08:04 PM
The latter. It's an extension of a line from the flag to the hazard crossing point. So I had to hit my next shot over the water (not that it was a tough shot :roll:)

Jarro
18th June 2007, 09:56 PM
theres a hazard line on the tee side of the water, so there is probably one on the green side.

Can't really say i've ever noticed one there :-s

Moe Norman
18th June 2007, 10:47 PM
I saw it first hand on sunday mate, when I was determining the point of entry after dumping my tee shot in the juice.