PDA

View Full Version : Muting a driver's sound

Jono
11th June 2007, 05:07 PM
First of all, let me say, I love my Aurora. Best driver head I've used. 8)

That's why I've got 4 of them. :shock: :roll:

The thing I noticed is that each one sounds different. The first one I got for a really good price on ebay. Second hand. That one has the best sound. Not as solid and muted as the premium drivers, but still pretty good. The other 3 sound a bit too loud and a bit too tinny. But the performance is just as good.

I took the shaft out of one of the heads and the plug at the bottom of the hosel came out, and now, I have access to the head cavity. I've heard of putting hot melt down to mute the sound ... Is there anything else I can pour down there to change the sound a bit? I don't want to add too much weight. What about a bit of epoxy? Any tips?

3oneday
11th June 2007, 05:10 PM
Spare chewy maybe ?

:lol:

pt73
11th June 2007, 05:21 PM
I've read of people putting cotton in the head to dull the sound. Search BSG, Golfwrx and GEA and you should find some info and possible alternatives.

PT

goughy
11th June 2007, 05:38 PM
put your hand between the ball and clubface before it hits it. If that doesn't mute the impact sound you screams will drown it out!! ;)

BrisVegas
11th June 2007, 07:23 PM
sell all 4 of them on ebay and buy a Titleist. You know it makes sense.

Moe Norman
11th June 2007, 07:50 PM
wear earplugs on the tee.

Courty
11th June 2007, 07:57 PM
First of all, let me say, I love my Aurora. Best driver head I've used. 8)

That's why I've got 4 of them. :shock: :roll:

The thing I noticed is that each one sounds different.

Must be the superior build quality of component heads. :roll:

Jono
11th June 2007, 08:07 PM
Must be the superior build quality of component heads. :roll:

So you don't get the tight specs. So you don't get the engineered "solid" sound. I've tried enough drivers to know that I've found the right driver head for me. End of story. 8)

Jono
11th June 2007, 08:14 PM
I've read of people putting cotton in the head to dull the sound. Search BSG, Golfwrx and GEA and you should find some info and possible alternatives.

PT

Thanks PT. I'll check it out. 8)

goughy
11th June 2007, 08:18 PM
I think mine had merits

BrisWesty
11th June 2007, 08:32 PM
1. Leave driver in headcover.
2. Leave driver in bag and use 3 wood.
3. How good are the Aurora's? If these were what you were using at Bribie at the champs you were bombing it.

Matt 3 Jab
11th June 2007, 09:13 PM
He bombed it all day today as well!

markTHEblake
11th June 2007, 10:38 PM
Jono, get some beans from your bean bag. Shove as many in as you can.

addamsmith
11th June 2007, 11:43 PM
Jono
Try some rattle stop. Apply a bit in the head and use a hair dryer to heat up the head. I used this to quiet my old Mactec driver and it worked great. It also made it feel more solid as well. I don't no if you have ever hit a mactec but boy are they loud.
Addam

Jono
12th June 2007, 05:55 PM
Blakey, that's not as crazy as it sounds. I might try that.Addam, where can I get some rattle stop? How much do I need to use? I don't really want to bring the swingweight up.

Johnny Canuck
12th June 2007, 08:21 PM
I used to work at a component shop in Canada and we sold it. I would think any place that stocks grip tape, solvent, etc.. should carry it.

Blakey, that's not as crazy as it sounds. I might try that.Addam, where can I get some rattle stop? How much do I need to use? I don't really want to bring the swingweight up.

mike
12th June 2007, 11:05 PM
:-s

I must be missing something here.

Why the hell would you want to change the sound your driver makes ??

Jono
13th June 2007, 07:32 AM
:-s

I must be missing something here.

Why the hell would you want to change the sound your driver makes ??

As the first post says, a bit too loud and a bit too tinny. Experts say that sound of the club makes up most of what we perceive as the "feel" of the club. I wouldn't mind a more solid sound.

3oneday
13th June 2007, 08:38 AM
Plus it goes straight right as well :p

I didn't think it sounded too bad. You just want to tinker, you smashed the damned thing all day and shot what, 5 over ?

Fishman Dan
13th June 2007, 09:34 AM
Jono you are the tinkererer.

Have you tried driving side-saddle?

Jarro
13th June 2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.selleys.com.au/images/UserUploadedImages/15/P_SelleysNoMoreBigGaps.jpg

Jono
13th June 2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.selleys.com.au/images/UserUploadedImages/15/P_SelleysNoMoreBigGaps.jpg

Thought about that Jarro. But those spray foams become hard, don't they? I'm worried that if it breaks off, it will cause a rattle. There's one thing worse than a loud tinny sounding head ... that's a loud head with a rattle. :lol:

Jono
13th June 2007, 06:26 PM
I didn't think it sounded too bad. You just want to tinker, you smashed the damned thing 50 yards past me all day and shot what, 5 over ?

Yeah ... the Aurora kicked Epon's butt that day, ey ... :twisted: :lol:

That Aurora is the good sounding one, believe it or not. The other 3 are much louder and tinnier. The 8.5 degree one sounds louder than the Cobra F Speed did. :?

Jono you are the tinkererer.

And proud of it. 8)

I'll probably go the foam option. Might use some packing foam and stuff it down the hosel into the head cavity. I'll report back after the experiment.

Ducky
13th June 2007, 08:26 PM
The 8.5 degree one sounds louder than the Cobra F Speed did...
Sounds like my kind of driver.

Jono
22nd June 2007, 06:55 PM
I've just got my foamed Aurora back. 8)

Man, it's solid. It sounds dead solid. Gary had a quick hit with it and said that it felt like the Epon Technity. :shock:

Here's what I did. I drilled the plug out at the bottom of the hosel and stuffed in about 3 grams of foam, cut into little pieces. It brought the swingweight up by 1 to 2 points, but you can't really feel it. I used the spongy foam that golf manufacturers use to pack their irons with.

Now my other Auroras are awaiting their "foam treatment". 8)

:lol:

Jarro
22nd June 2007, 07:03 PM
This "foaming" doesn't help to increase the ballspeed off the clubface does it ?

When i was playing baseball we used to take the top off our bats and shove about 3 tennis balls down inside, this made the ball come off "hot" when you nailed one 8) Highly illegal ;)

Jono
22nd June 2007, 07:12 PM
Foaming, if anything, would decrease the driver's COR, I'd imagine. Very different from corking a wooden baseball bat or stuffing tennis balls down a hollow bat. :roll:

It wouldn't alter the performance to any significant degree, but the difference in sound is like night and day. 8)

BTW, I used the foam that I got from perci when I bought his Wilson forged irons. Thanks Perci! :smt023