PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Rusty Club Heads??

clikchic
20th September 2004, 01:11 PM
Hey Guys

I have a quick question for you. I am listing goughy's Taylormade 52 degree wedge on ebay for him and I can't get in touch with him to ask him a question about it so I get the details right..

I know he has told me why the club head is rusty but I can't remember what the reason was. Is it something to do with the wedge being forged or something like that? I know it is meant to be rusty but need to get the description right...

By the time I post this he will probably return my call but I figure if anyone happens to be on they may be able to answer my question quicker.. (can you tell I am impatient?? :oops: )

andylo
20th September 2004, 01:15 PM
It's rusty because it's forged with some sort of raw steel (or some material... whatever)

The main point of a rusty wedge is to create more backspin.

clikchic
20th September 2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks andlo!

He just got back to me. He told me that it was because it isn't cromed and not really anything to do with being forged... (goes to show how much I listen when he talks golf! LOL)

AndyP
20th September 2004, 01:45 PM
:?: So it's not because he doesn't look after it? :wink:

clikchic
20th September 2004, 02:11 PM
:?: So it's not because he doesn't look after it? :wink:

He he, if you saw how much he baby's his golf clubs you would know that that is an impossiblity! LOL

He has head covers for all his clubs, yes including his irons and cleans them all before every game.... :roll:

It is a worry!

He is just as bad with his drum cymbals...(did I mention I HATE the smell of brasso??)

AndyP
20th September 2004, 02:17 PM
He he, if you saw how much he baby's his golf clubs you would know that that is an impossiblity! LOL

He has head covers for all his clubs, yes including his irons and cleans them all before every game.... :roll:

Bitching to the wrong person, clikchic. :razz:

My missus asked me yesterday evening, as I was cleaning the Toowoomba red dirt off my clubs, why I don't clean the car every time I use it. :oops: :wink:

clikchic
20th September 2004, 02:20 PM
goughy here...

It's rusty because of the material it's made out of. It's not a forged wedge. And it's not actually the rust which causes the spin. Because of the material used for it, and the fact it's not chromed it will rust. I believe they don't chrome them because the chrome gets into the grooves and slightly fills, or dulls them. If you use a rusty wedge a lot, you'll find no rust on the face where you hit the ball and on the flange that hits the ground or the sand.

I believe the rust itself does nothing.

clikchic
20th September 2004, 02:28 PM
Bitching to the wrong person, clikchic.

My missus asked me yesterday evening, as I was cleaning the Toowoomba red dirt off my clubs, why I don't clean the car every time I use it.

Yeah, I should know better, it is a golf forum after all! LOL :roll:

AndyP
20th September 2004, 02:30 PM
goughy here...

Do you guys always answer each other's questions over the internet?

Must make it hard to have a relationship....or maybe it is easier? :? :-k :mrgreen:

McMw
20th September 2004, 03:21 PM
goughy here...

It's rusty because of the material it's made out of. It's not a forged wedge. And it's not actually the rust which causes the spin. Because of the material used for it, and the fact it's not chromed it will rust. I believe they don't chrome them because the chrome gets into the grooves and slightly fills, or dulls them. If you use a rusty wedge a lot, you'll find no rust on the face where you hit the ball and on the flange that hits the ground or the sand.

thank goodness you replied... :lol:
A-Lo...
Wedges don't have to be forged to have the rusty effect...
Cleve588 are not forged...

jaster
20th September 2004, 05:38 PM
Very good answer goughy, you are learning well my friend ;)

FWIW Nike wedges and Callaway wedges are forged, not too many other brands have forged wedges!!

markTHEblake
20th September 2004, 08:15 PM

Tell that to my Datsun 120Y, wherever it went.

andylo
21st September 2004, 07:27 AM
Oh, :shock: No, I don't mean wedges has to be forged to get rusty.... I meant the material... dunno why I put the word "forged" instead of "made" :roll:

McMw
21st September 2004, 08:28 AM
the callaway 900s are forged, and they're available in rusty…

andylo
21st September 2004, 09:33 AM
You mean Cleveland 900 do you? :lol:

jaster
21st September 2004, 10:22 AM
Nike make there forged wedges rusty as well and so do Callaway

McMw
21st September 2004, 01:10 PM
You mean Cleveland 900 do you? :lol:

yup!!!

see....this is what happens when you stay up till 1.30 am just to watch some stupid golf replay!!! :lol:

anybody know who else make forged rusty wedges???
we've established, nike, callaway and cleveland...
precepts???

andylo
21st September 2004, 01:22 PM
Dunno if that "Professional Open 690" series (Cleveland 900 knock off) are forged or not :lol:

goughy
21st September 2004, 01:41 PM
Some of the cheaper component clubheads are forged, but not many. I'd be surprised if those ones are forged, but they could be. Ben would know.

The thing is with rusty clubs is that it's got nothing at all to do with whether a club is forged or not. It's the material they use for it, and in the end the desired effect they want for the club.

goughy
21st September 2004, 06:24 PM
goughy here...

Do you guys always answer each other's questions over the internet?

Must make it hard to have a relationship....or maybe it is easier? :? :-k :mrgreen:

No we just post before checking to see who is logged in! LOL

See, here I am doing it again, it is clikchic and I am logged in as goughy... too lazy to change it now..