PDA

View Full Version : Good drills for clearing your left hip?

oz
1st June 2007, 08:13 PM
Any thoughts?

I know I am not getting enough turn through the ball, and my left side is collapsing, as a result.

I am looking for good drills to get the rotation of the left hip around, and up through the ball.

TIA.

Ducky
1st June 2007, 08:30 PM
Do you have your front foot slightly flared towards the target? If not, start there.

oz
1st June 2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, I do, but I do plan to increase the amount I turn out that left foot. Thanks Ducky.

markTHEblake
1st June 2007, 09:40 PM
dont worry about the drills for that.

get your weight off your left side in the backswing first.

addamsmith
5th June 2007, 04:19 PM
The hardest thing about practicing to clear the hips is it normally causes another problem in the swing.
eg: If you slide your hips to the side to clear them your right knee will start to move towards the ball causing you to hit to the heel of the club or to even shank,The best thing to do is to get to the top of your backswing and as you start the downswing keep your bottom half as still as you can, when the club gets to parrallel to the ground and the left hand is above the right foot.
At this point you should turn your right knee in towards the left knee and your right foot should start to roll onto the inside of the of the right foot. Your Left side should start to turn out left of the target.your Left leg should be straighting up and both your knees are almost touching. the club will pass the ball and at the point where the club is passed you and going to the target. the Head of the club is at the target and the club is again parrallel to the ground. The face of the club is pointing straight up as it should be on the downswing.

As a drill take the club back to where it is parrallel to the ground and do as I have said above. Then follow through to the target doing what I have said above again. Then go back to the set up and redo this again and again.
Make sure you do this slowly and brush the grass.

Addam smith

oz
6th June 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Addam, I'll give that a try.

Initial results from the weekend (very little practice and into the monthly medal) were very promising. Consistency of ballstriking improved dramatically, just through keeping that left hip turning through the ball. Hopefully, this drill will help to ingrain the move a little more.

addamsmith
8th June 2007, 01:26 PM
Good Luck Oz