PDA

View Full Version : Your worst choke...

BrisVegas
28th May 2007, 08:43 AM
Thought it was time we all purged ourselves of the sickening taste of choking.

Feel free to share. I'll start.

2-3 months ago.... I was standing over a 4 footer on the 17th green to go +8 (and 1 under gross) in a vs Par game. I 3-putted for bogey to go +6. I then doubled the last to finish +5 (and 2 over gross). I was net square on the front 9, so had made a buch of birdies on the back nine and was a chance to shoot 30 gross coming home. Choked so badly. Was almost physically sick. On current form, I may not get the chance to go sub-par again for a long time.... :cry:

Courty
28th May 2007, 08:47 AM
There have been more occasions than I care to remember where I have been around the +2 mark after about 15/16 holes and stumbled over the line with a double bogey in those last few holes somewhere. :roll:

The most recent was in the 36 hole event 2 weeks ago. The first day I was +3 after 14 & had 2 doubles coming home. :evil:

mikezone13
28th May 2007, 09:19 AM
Simple, 5 over par after 15, 14 over par after 18 with no penalty shots.

A 1 putt 8 from 5m to finish on the last including me shanking my way 360* around the 18th green.

I hadn't broken 80 at my home track so it was a huge choke.

Coffs_Hacker
28th May 2007, 09:25 AM
never par'd nine holes before - 1 under of the bat on the 9th tee and finished 4 over for the nine

chappy1970
28th May 2007, 09:40 AM
I was a member at Kingswood a number of years ago, this was when the Jonnie Walker Classic was played at Royal Melbourne.

Jonnie Walker used to sponsor all the private clubs in Melbourne the week or 2 before the classic. I saluted for the best score at Kingswood for that Saturday and got represent the club at Royal the following Tuesday.

First prize was a spot in the Pro-Am, second prize was an invite to the dinner.

40 Points one the day, I went out in 20 points and come home in 5, YES 5 points. Don't ask me what happen because I still can't explain it to this day.

Got a round at Royal, a nice 3 course lunch and some engraved JW scotch glasses though.

markTHEblake
28th May 2007, 09:45 AM
Probably shooting 72-86-74 in the club championships.

72 was leading the 1st round. eventually around 5 under won it but daylight was second. would have been nice to have been thereabouts.

Jarro
28th May 2007, 09:58 AM
my glorious 86 in the second round of our midweek champs :(

I was +4 after 10 holes, then went double, double, double, bogey, bogey,par, bogey, bogey

Bruce
28th May 2007, 10:00 AM
I've never been in contention for any serious wins, but my most recent go at the Mirboo Nth monthly medal was a shocker. 8 over for the last 4 holes to finish with a net 72, including a triple on the index 17 hole. Idiot.

PeteyD
28th May 2007, 10:08 AM
Don't think I have ever played well enough to have qualified for a choke. No doubt they will come.

Moe Norman
28th May 2007, 10:25 AM
I missed a 2 footer to halve a match in a very important family event on the 18th at Indro West.

Didn't even hit the hole :(

Webster
28th May 2007, 10:46 AM
Lost the last 6 holes to lose 2 down in the final round of pennant one year and the team got relegated as a result.

Eag's
28th May 2007, 10:56 AM
Back in my younger years when I was playing off single figures, I was playing in the N.Q. Open and I was square for the card after 15 holes then went tripple, tripple, double :( I was not a happy camper :smt013

pt73
28th May 2007, 11:50 AM
Worst of late was last year when I got around the back 8 holes of my course 4 under and then proceeded to shoot +10 for the last 10 holes (the easier part).

It was a long drive home.

PT

Boonie
28th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Final qualifying for the 2000 Australian Open at Kingston Heath (my home course!) was held on the Monday at Woodlands.

It was a howling southerly wind and 75 ended up getting into the Open. I played great in the gale to be even par after 13 and hit a 300m drive downwind on the 14th at Woodlands and had a sand iron in to the green. +3 for the last 5 holes (of which 2 are par 5's) and I was playing in an Aussie Open at my home course.

Cold mother bladed a full sand iron 50m over the back into the rubbish and ended up making 7:smt038 . Backed it up with a solid 6 on the next (par 5) and parred in to miss by a shot.:smt023

Courty
28th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Final qualifying for the 2000 Australian Open at Kingston Heath (my home course!) was held on the Monday at Woodlands.

It was a howling southerly wind and 75 ended up getting into the Open. I played great in the gale to be even par after 13 and hit a 300m drive downwind on the 14th at Woodlands and had a sand iron in to the green. +3 for the last 5 holes (of which 2 are par 5's) and I was playing in an Aussie Open at my home course.

Cold mother bladed a full sand iron 50m over the back into the rubbish and ended up making 7:smt038 . Backed it up with a solid 6 on the next (par 5) and parred in to miss by a shot.:smt023

Ouch. :smt087

oz
29th May 2007, 07:32 AM
Playing in Monthly Medal at Thurgoona, I was 5-under through 8 holes, lying in the centre of the 9th fairway after my tee shot. I could barely take the club back. I made a hapless double bogey on 9, followed by another on 10. Back in my confort zone, I then made all pars except for a 3-putt bogey on 17, to finish the day level par.

BrisWesty
29th May 2007, 08:10 AM
After having missed nothing on the greens for the round, 3 putting on the 18th at Wynnum to square the match play with Shavey!

AndyP
29th May 2007, 08:15 AM
I reckon the three putt on the play-off hole at Windaroo was pretty good too, Westy.

Moe Norman
29th May 2007, 08:57 AM
So Westy is a serial matchplay choker?

markTHEblake
29th May 2007, 09:10 AM
In a pennant trial last year i was 5up after 7 holes against a 1 handicap - missed a 3 foot putt to go 6 up, halved the 9th, then lost 8 holes in a row.

Result - didnt make the team for first time in 8 years. I reckon if i had of lost 3/1 honestly as expected I would have made it.

dc68
29th May 2007, 10:22 AM
My worst choke........................... Was playing ok +1 after 8 holes then I birdie 9 birdie 10 eagle 11 birdie 12 and birdie 13. gack gack where did all my air go? I then bogie 14 (3 whack from 10 feet) triple on 15 (2 out of town) par 16 double 17 and par 18 for 73 nett 68 and lose monthly medal on a cb. :roll:

BrisVegas
29th May 2007, 10:25 AM
ouch. there's some good stuff here. I'm feeling better about my own chokes now. thanks for sharing peeps.

mikezone13
29th May 2007, 10:34 AM
My worst choke........................... Was playing ok +1 after 8 holes then I birdie 9 birdie 10 eagle 11 birdie 12 and birdie 13. gack gack where did all my air go? I then bogie 14 (3 whack from 10 feet) triple on 15 (2 out of town) par 16 double 17 and par 18 for 73 nett 68 and lose monthly medal ob cb. :roll:

Ouch.... at least you know you can play the golf to be 4 or 5 under, did you come back a few weeks later and hit that score? If you did, your first chance wasn't a choke, it was a 'learning experience'. :D

dc68
29th May 2007, 10:54 AM
No, it was a choke.... a big fat holy f*cking shit I can't breathe! choke.

Trung
29th May 2007, 04:37 PM
3 under with 4 holes to go.

Bogey, bogey, bogey, Par for a 72..... I hate myself....

mikezone13
29th May 2007, 04:41 PM
3 under with 4 holes to go.

Bogey, bogey, bogey, Par for a 72..... I hate myself....

That's not a choke, that's just playing to your handicap ;) triple, double, triple to finish is a choke.

Keza_G
29th May 2007, 08:05 PM
see keza 3rd round club champs at middle ridge, classic 3rd rnd choke....

mike
11th June 2007, 12:01 AM
Worst choke I've seen was my opponent in a pennants match a couple of years ago. He had a 1 foot par putt to win on the 21st hole, his putt lipped out and rolled about 15 feet down a fast sloping green. He 3 putted from there and I won the hole with a double bogey.

Game over.

Johnny Canuck
11th June 2007, 01:02 AM
Mine was a combination between my opponent and myself.

Final round, match play championship. I was 2 up with 2 to play. Easily a much longer hitter than my opponent so I thought a 2 iron off the tee on the 17th par 5 would be a smart play. Hit it 45 degrees right, found it and had nowhere I could even drop, or hit from.

Got to the 18th, 1up, hit a 3 wood 45 degrees left, drop, hit, hit, double.

All square. Confidence = all time low.

Go to the 19th. Hit a good tee shot. Hit my second so far left that I had to hit a provisional. My opponent was safely on it 2. Was cursing myself the whole way down the fairway for blowing such an easy win. Found my first and was faced with what I thought was a ver tough up and down. He had a sure two putt.

Hit a nice chip that somehow stopped at the top of the hit and didn't roll on to the green, which crushed me even more. Kept the flag in on my putt because it was the only way it could drop as it was so steep. Stepped up and nailed the putt for a 4. My steady putting opponent must have been a little rattled by this. He left his slightly downhill 30 footer about 12 feet short, and then proceeded to leave that putt about 3 feet short, handing me the championship.

A classic double choke to finish a good days golf.

McCoy
11th June 2007, 08:41 AM
Birdies on 2 and 6, pars on the rest I was 2 under after 8 at Keperra. Things went that "well" for the remaining 10 holes I did not submit a card. Given that I was playing off 16 at that stage you can imagine how bad it was. A 10 on 14 still haunts me.

braddles
11th June 2007, 08:55 AM
I once shot 30 on the front nine (-6) and 42 on the back nine (+6) to end up at level par. The front nine was just one of those days - I hit it inside 4ft on the first four holes. It is a shame that was 5 years ago and my game has definitely gone backwards!

Brad

Flowergirl
11th June 2007, 10:00 AM
Mine was a combination between my opponent and myself.

Final round, match play championship. I was 2 up with 2 to play. Easily a much longer hitter than my opponent so I thought a 2 iron off the tee on the 17th par 5 would be a smart play. Hit it 45 degrees right, found it and had nowhere I could even drop, or hit from.

Got to the 18th, 1up, hit a 3 wood 45 degrees left, drop, hit, hit, double.

All square. Confidence = all time low.

Go to the 19th. Hit a good tee shot. Hit my second so far left that I had to hit a provisional. My opponent was safely on it 2. Was cursing myself the whole way down the fairway for blowing such an easy win. Found my first and was faced with what I thought was a ver tough up and down. He had a sure two putt.

Hit a nice chip that somehow stopped at the top of the hit and didn't roll on to the green, which crushed me even more. Kept the flag in on my putt because it was the only way it could drop as it was so steep. Stepped up and nailed the putt for a 4. My steady putting opponent must have been a little rattled by this. He left his slightly downhill 30 footer about 12 feet short, and then proceeded to leave that putt about 3 feet short, handing me the championship.

A classic double choke to finish a good days golf.

Well done on the win. I was reading your report of the game thinking you had lost - but you won!!!!!!!!!YEA!!!!!!!!:smt038 Congratulations Champ. ;)

Johnny Canuck
11th June 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks, but it should have been a much easier win if I could have hit a tee shot within 90 metres of the fairway on either of the final two holes. I could have won the match by bogeying 18, which I failed to do!

I got very, very lucky!

Well done on the win. I was reading your report of the game thinking you had lost - but you won!!!!!!!!!YEA!!!!!!!!:smt038 Congratulations Champ. ;)

Flowergirl
11th June 2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks, but it should have been a much easier win if I could have hit a tee shot within 90 metres of the fairway on either of the final two holes. I could have won the match by bogeying 18, which I failed to do!

I got very, very lucky!

Yea- but this was more exciting.;)

Johnny Canuck
11th June 2007, 11:28 AM
Yea- but this was more exciting.;)

I'm sure it was responsible for a few grey hairs on my 31 year old head at the time. It truly was a "roller coaster' of emotions!

sms316
21st September 2009, 01:06 PM
I reckon St George-Illawarra 2009 edition is as bad as any stories in this thread.

:mrgreen:

mike
21st September 2009, 01:11 PM
Who's that in your avatar?

After you answer that you're going on ignore.

sms316
21st September 2009, 01:12 PM
Heather Brooke.

Google with safe search off.

virge666
21st September 2009, 01:13 PM
2007 Pennants vs Bardwell Valley

6 up after 8 holes and lost 2 and 1. Came home in an ambulance with both sirens going.

The loss also meant we didn't win the division and get to play the semi's.

Happy days

Collis
21st September 2009, 01:24 PM
Playing well last week shot a 12 - on the 10th(day was ruined), i got so angry from the last hole(guy picked up my ball & denied it) i proceeded to try and cut the corner on the next hole and put 4 OB so i was 9 off the tee.
Did give me a chance to practice my short game and not worry about the score.

Chris32
21st September 2009, 01:30 PM
2 stick in my mind

The last comp round I played in - 22 points after 9, ended up with 29 points total. Was playing like a champ, then it was like my body and brain were not connected.

First time I made club champs matchplay. 3 up with 4 to play, cruising along and then lost a ball on a approach shot that got stuck up in a pine tree. Fell apart and lost my match

Ferrins
21st September 2009, 01:30 PM
At Nudgee turned the corner after the back nine at 1 under in back tee event and got a 10 on each of the next two holes.

zacdullard
21st September 2009, 01:36 PM
4 or 5 times I have been on track to shoot sub 80, the finishing three holes at my home track are some of the easiest in Australia.

Every time I get the feeling that I can't breathe and shoot 80 everytime. Still to this day I have not broke 80 but I feel it aint to far away.

Is there a way to stop the effects of chocking or is it just an experience thing?

AndyP
21st September 2009, 01:48 PM
Every time I get the feeling that I can't breathe and shoot 80 everytime. Still to this day I have not broke 80 but I feel it aint to far away.

Is there a way to stop the effects of chocking or is it just an experience thing?Don't add up your score after every hole. If you don't know exactly what you need to break 80, then it's harder to choke.

jaybam
21st September 2009, 01:52 PM
I reckon St George-Illawarra 2009 edition is as bad as any stories in this thread.

:mrgreen:

Better than the other years you think?? :smt038

Lucasto23
21st September 2009, 01:54 PM
3rd round of club champs this year, was 8 over and needed 2 pars for the win.
bogeyed easy par 3 17th and then smashed driver down 18 an chunked 40m approach shot onto ont edge and three putted.

Ferrins
21st September 2009, 02:59 PM
3rd round of club champs this year, was 8 over and needed 2 pars for the win.
bogeyed easy par 3 17th and then smashed driver down 18 an chunked 40m approach shot onto ont edge and three putted.

Ferrins
21st September 2009, 03:07 PM
4 or 5 times I have been on track to shoot sub 80, the finishing three holes at my home track are some of the easiest in Australia.

Is there a way to stop the effects of chocking or is it just an experience thing?
Played with an interesting if not eccentric if not totally f...ing looney bloke in Tassie and what he'd do is finish a hole and go "7 shots left". If he birdied the next hole it would be "8 shots left". He shot a great round and didn't look stressed at all. Maybe it's his system or his meds, not sure.

virge666
21st September 2009, 03:13 PM

Get into contention more often and just understand that you are MEANT to be nervous - don't fight it just accept it.

If that doesn't work - get ANGRY.

Some people like myself focus better when cranky rather than nervous.

BrisVegas
21st September 2009, 03:21 PM
Played with an interesting if not eccentric if not totally f...ing looney bloke in Tassie and what he'd do is finish a hole and go "7 shots left". If he birdied the next hole it would be "8 shots left". He shot a great round and didn't look stressed at all. Maybe it's his system or his meds, not sure.

I'm concerned now, because that's the system I use. :-s

Johnny Canuck
21st September 2009, 04:32 PM
System doesn't work for me. Standing on the 4th tee thinking "no shots left" doesn't fill me with confidence.

markTHEblake
21st September 2009, 05:36 PM
having 5 double bogies in the first two rounds of the 2009 club championships, 4 of them on holes less then 300m.

and my score after 2 rounds, 10 over. :roll:

virge666
21st September 2009, 06:10 PM
System doesn't work for me. Standing on the 4th tee thinking "no shots left" doesn't fill me with confidence.

Agreed - **** that.

One hole at a time.

TourFit
21st September 2009, 06:50 PM

:smt023

And they're 3 of the easier holes too...!!!

AlexMc
21st September 2009, 10:46 PM
Lead the final of the A Grade Matchplay Champs final when I was 18 - 5 up with 5 to go. Proceeded to lose it on the 19th (yes...that is six holes in a row). Got a 3 month suspension from the club when I left my putter in the wall of the change rooms.

parlyboy
22nd September 2009, 06:15 AM
Lead the final of the A Grade Matchplay Champs final when I was 18 - 5 up with 5 to go. Proceeded to lose it on the 19th (yes...that is six holes in a row). Got a 3 month suspension from the club when I left my putter in the wall of the change rooms.

so did u get your putter back?

AlexMc
22nd September 2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah I did...at the board meeting I had to front!

poidda
22nd September 2009, 09:25 AM
having 5 double bogies in the first two rounds of the 2009 club championships, 4 of them on holes less then 300m.

and my score after 2 rounds, 10 over. :roll:

That's not a choke. That's just shyte golf.

virge666
22nd September 2009, 10:35 AM
Got a 3 month suspension from the club when I left my putter in the wall of the change rooms.

I woudl have left my putter in my opponent.

:)

That's not a choke. That's just shyte golf.

It is all shyte golf

LeftyHoges
12th November 2017, 10:54 PM
10 shots clear with 4 ends to play in the Association Pairs Bowls Championship with my old man today to lose on the 2nd playoff end was a pretty ****ing good effort....

LeftyHoges
12th November 2017, 10:55 PM

I got very, very lucky!

Noooooo....

Never.......

WBennett
14th November 2017, 07:12 AM
10 shots clear with 4 ends to play in the Association Pairs Bowls Championship with my old man today to lose on the 2nd playoff end was a pretty ****ing good effort....

When did you turn 70?

LeftyHoges
14th November 2017, 07:38 AM
When did you turn 70?After you win an OZgolf champs what else is there left to accomplish in the game?

WBennett
14th November 2017, 08:54 AM
After you win an OZgolf champs what else is there left to accomplish in the game?

You could try beating Canuck in matchplay for a change

LeftyHoges
14th November 2017, 09:09 AM
You could try beating Canuck in matchplay for a changeDon't listen to him, I've been there, done that. He just refuses to admit it.

3Puttpete
14th November 2017, 09:32 AM
Don't listen to him, I've been there, done that. He just refuses to admit it.Everybody gets lucky sooner or later

LeftyHoges
14th November 2017, 09:58 AM
Everybody gets lucky sooner or laterHe sure does....

AndyP
14th November 2017, 10:50 AM
After you win an OZgolf champs what else is there left to accomplish in the game?
This.

Shreko
14th November 2017, 07:28 PM
Playing the Master of the Amateur tournament in 2009 at Yarra Yarra with Scott Laycock and Dimi Papadatos off 12 handicap and was 2 over after 15 holes and finished 14 over with triple triple quad double on 14/15/16/17th holes including 2 x shanks and 3 in a bunker!!!!!! No broken clubs either!!!

Dotty
14th November 2017, 07:55 PM
Playing the Master of the Amateur tournament in 2009 at Yarra Yarra with Scott Laycock and Dimi Papadatos off 12 handicap and was 2 over after 15 holes and finished 14 over with triple triple quad double on 14/15/16/17th holes including 2 x shanks and 3 in a bunker!!!!!! No broken clubs either!!!
Sounds familiar.

Did someone roll a golf cart carrying a carton of Jack Daniels to put you off your game?

Shreko
14th November 2017, 08:10 PM
Sounds familiar.

Did someone roll a golf cart carrying a carton of Jack Daniels to put you off your game?

Carton of Canadian might have done it!!!!

Lack of oxygen and shaky wrists might have been the culprit

Lagerlover
14th November 2017, 08:18 PM
Lack of oxygen and shaky wrists might have been the culprit

Unsure how either of these are a bad thing

3Puttpete
14th November 2017, 08:49 PM
Unsure how either of these are a bad thingThey are if you do them in excess

Shreko
14th November 2017, 10:08 PM
Unsure how either of these are a bad thing

When you have them both let me know!!!! lol

Hatchman
19th November 2017, 01:04 AM
3puttnorman hasn't found this thread yet?
Friday at Blackwood was a 15 hole comp. Saturday was 18 holes, not 14 :razz:

3Puttpete
19th November 2017, 01:12 AM
3puttnorman hasn't found this thread yet?
Friday at Blackwood was a 15 hole comp. Saturday was 18 holes, not 14 :razz:Ouch.

You must have played 11.

Hatchman
19th November 2017, 01:27 AM
Ouch.

You must have played 11.

Any more than 1 at Mt Osmond is too many for for me.

oobsadd2
19th November 2017, 08:46 AM
Thank you to all that have posted. I don't feel better, but not so alone.
Lost by 2, only had to chip and putt for birdie up the last. Bladed it down the hill.
That was last year, they are still talking about it this year.

LeftyHoges
19th November 2017, 09:38 AM
Thank you to all that have posted. I don't feel better, but not so alone.
Lost by 2, only had to chip and putt for birdie up the last. Bladed it down the hill.
That was last year, they are still talking about it this year.

468448 over in the last 4 to lose by 2!?!?

Just, wow...

Little consolation, but we've all been there buddy.