PDA

View Full Version : Chappy's New Swing

chappy1970
24th May 2007, 12:18 PM
Been tinkering with teh swing over the last few months, to try to over come a problem that I have been faced with.

Problem
I have been sweeping the ball, not taking a divot, getting a ballooning ball flight, loosing distance, inconsistent ball flight/striking. I found that the root of the problem was primarily my inability to shift my weight throughout the swing.

Fix(temp)
I have made a subtle change to my swing which has helped enormously with consistency, ball flight/striking and distance/accuracy. At address I simply start with my weight alittle on my left side, make my normal swing and hey PRESTO.

I realise that this will probably not be a long term fix, but I am far more confident over the ball and have found a few yards as well.

I have attached a few pics from a recent Charity golf day, any feedback welcomed.

I understand that these are only stills and they don't capture the whole swing, but you should be able to see the fundamentals that I am working on.

Chappy

AndyP
24th May 2007, 12:35 PM
I used to be a sweeper of the ball. It was fine when it was working well, but if it was slightly off, I played real crap.

I think I started to fix it and take divots, when I pushed my hands further forward.

Gee, you're a lanky one!

chappy1970
24th May 2007, 12:43 PM
Can't fatten a thoroughbred AP

mikezone13
24th May 2007, 12:44 PM
I was a divot taker when a good player 5 or 6 handicap years ago. Then when I took the game back up again I took no divot or a very very shallow one (just cut the grass).

As AndyP said when it worked it worked well, when it was off though, boy was it off.

I found a slight swing change whereby hands are positioned more forward at address to establish a bent right wrist helpedthis was coupled with a takeaway that was initiated by the right hand lifting the club to maintain the bent right wrist and I was in business. Nice big divots and ball striking improving with my irons fantastically not to mention an increase in distance back to my old numbers from when I was teenager.

My numbers really speak for themself... I've gone from a 14 handicap back in last month to a 10 handicap today, but it's my consistentcy of strike that has got me there. My last 5 rounds I have not hit less than 7 GIR and my confidence with my strike has improved out of sight.

Toolish
24th May 2007, 09:06 PM
2nd photo looks like you might almost be casting it a little...or at least have long release (not a lot of wrist **** at that point in the swing)...which will mean shallow attack on the ball, but can get close to flipping it a bit. Hard thing to adjust, especially based on stills.

chappy1970
24th May 2007, 10:01 PM
Toolish,
This is the improved swing, no flipping at all (sheeeez).

I flushed it all day, including stiffing a 5 iron to 10 foot on the first hole for the day a par 3.

I know its hard to gauge from stills, but I don't ever remember being as comfortable and balanced over the ball as I 'm with the swing at the mo.

If I can get the 1 or 2 brain fades out of the game, consistent single fig are just around the corner.

Chappy

Flowergirl
25th May 2007, 08:33 AM
Toolish,
This is the improved swing, no flipping at all (sheeeez).

I flushed it all day, including stiffing a 5 iron to 10 foot on the first hole for the day a par 3.

I know its hard to gauge from stills, but I don't ever remember being as comfortable and balanced over the ball as I 'm with the swing at the mo.

If I can get the 1 or 2 brain fades out of the game, consistent single fig are just around the corner.

Chappy

In other words - "look at me boys and girls" I reckon I'm awesome at the moment!!!! Great to see and hear someone confident in what they are doing.:smt038 Can only result in great things. Confidence is such a huge part of golf. If you think you are good - then you play good. Keep going Chappy. You're almost there:mrgreen: ( I mean the mental part - I wouldn't know a cast unless it was a plaster one on your leg)

BrisVegas
25th May 2007, 09:44 AM
Problem
I have been sweeping the ball, not taking a divot, getting a ballooning ball flight, loosing distance, inconsistent ball flight/striking. I found that the root of the problem was primarily my inability to shift my weight throughout the swing.

Fix(temp)
I have made a subtle change to my swing which has helped enormously with consistency, ball flight/striking and distance/accuracy. At address I simply start with my weight alittle on my left side, make my normal swing and hey PRESTO.

Hey chappy, you big skinny bastard! OMG, you've got some extension in your back swing. Compared to you I make a half swing. :smt038 You must hit the ball miles!

But anyway, what I wanted to say was that I've found the same thing has helped my iron play recently. I've always hit driver pretty good, but struggled with irons as I hit them too thin/shallow and with too much weight on my back foot.

I've had to take a completely different setup position with irons, where my shoulders are more level, my hands are actually cupped a bit (not pressed forwards as for driver) and I have a lot more weight on my left side. I've started taking divots and really think about compressing or punching my irons now. It's helped a lot, and I'm getting much better contact and distance out of it.

(unfortunately now I can't hit driver anymore)

chappy1970
25th May 2007, 10:13 AM
Awesome BV, its amazing what a small change to do to your game.

I've gained so much control and confidence with this subtle shift, I haven't lost my drive yet, if anything I've gained a little distance.

Hope to get up to Brissy later this year for a hit with some of you guys, heard heaps of good stuff about Brooky and really want get up there.

In regards to my svelt figure, as I mentioned earlier in this thread "You can't fatten a thoroughbred"

Chappy

saintsational
25th May 2007, 01:02 PM
Hi
seem like you have very nice 'release' something ive tried very hard to work on, your swing appears to be on plane. Good job :)

chappy1970
25th May 2007, 01:36 PM
Cheers Saints,
If your site name is an indication that you're a fellow St.Kilda supporter, you are already my new best friend

Cheers
Chappy

Bruce
25th May 2007, 01:51 PM
Hope to get up to Brissy later this year for a hit with some of you guys, heard heaps of good stuff about Brooky and really want get up there....

I will just draw your attention here mate: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6463

You wont be travelling up alone if you go ;)

chappy1970
25th May 2007, 02:00 PM
Bruce,
I think Champs may be unachievable, however I may have some work committments that require travel to the Sunshine state.

Chappy

chappy1970
2nd December 2015, 01:40 PM
I had to dig extremely deep to revive this thread.

I never get footage or stills of my swing for no other reason than I just don't get the chance.
I played in a corporate day last week, which I played extremely well in, they had a pro photographer go around and take some snaps, these are the 2 that were supplied to me.

From the down the line shot, I had no idea I was so steep at the top, this is not the feeling I get during the swing.
The front on shot seems like I'm in a pretty good position, irrespective I'm really comfortable with my game at the moment, except for stupid putting that is.
Going to give an Odyssey 7 a whirl and see if a different head shape helps.

Have yourself a laugh or provide a comment, they are all welcome. As you can see from the first post 8 1/2 years ago, to last week, I'm still a slim bugger, just a few more wrinkles and grey hair.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/CC-DTL.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/CC-DTL.jpg.html)
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/CC-FO.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/chappy1970-ozgolf/media/CC-FO.jpg.html)

mrbluu
2nd December 2015, 01:54 PM
Looks like u got the same shafts in your irons as u do in your legs ;).

Regardless, looks good mate.

3oneday
2nd December 2015, 02:02 PM
Much more grey hair.

LoveGolf2012
2nd December 2015, 02:10 PM
Nice positions mate looks good,bloody nice polo to[emoji1]

chappy1970
2nd December 2015, 02:11 PM

Well played you cheeky bastard, well played

chappy1970
2nd December 2015, 02:12 PM
Nice positions mate looks good,bloody nice polo to[emoji1]
They are the ducks nuts Ray, extremely comfortable

LoveGolf2012
2nd December 2015, 02:15 PM
Very nice turn you have going their..me would take [emoji111]️

icandy
2nd December 2015, 03:06 PM
Looking good mate, next time i'll bring my cameras out to shoot u :P

oldracer
2nd December 2015, 07:51 PM
Flusha!!!!!!!!!!

Coldtopper
2nd December 2015, 08:55 PM
Huntingdale? Swing looks great and buy a big flatso if you can putt instead of romacing the bride?

Yossarian
3rd December 2015, 01:22 PM

Canuck like.

TheNuclearOne
9th December 2015, 01:25 PM
I believe i just sent some shaftage your way for an ozgolfer. Will PM you tracking in case it helps.

No sway in that swing!

LarryLong
9th December 2015, 02:18 PM
I saw the thread title and was going to ask if I could have the old one if you were finished with it. :) That second photo looks like a pretty darn good position to my uneducated eye, FWIW.

However, I am also duty-bound to bag you about the cargo shorts and pasty white skinny legs combo. :D