PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 21st May 2007

Grunt
22nd May 2007, 05:55 PM
Played @ Eastlake this morning, was quite tough in the wind today(36 knots, 64km/h). Had 29 points to get myself 3rd place in the QF Engineering Golf Club Individual Stab part of the comp. My Partner and myself got 3rd in the 2BBB too.
Eastlake greens had just been scarified and sanded and were very difficult to putt on, only had 1 3 putt all day, it was just the one putts seemed to stop just short of the cup.
Hit the ball ok to begin with but as the day went on the wind had taken it out of me in the end & I faded.

jimandr
22nd May 2007, 08:30 PM
Grant, you were a bit lucky to have started this thread.

I've had to battle peak hour traffic all the way from Bayview back to Ingleburn (took almost two hours), and I'm traumatised by my terrible score' hence the delay. Mike may be too modest to post his exploits here.

Nevertheless, I recorded 26 points today, without missing many fairways. Struck the ball badly, and just couldn't chip and putt to save my life.

I refuse to do my stats, but I know I had 41 putts (1 fourputt, 3x3's, all in a five hole stretch), and NO up and downs.

It can't get much worse, I hope.

shazza_rs
22nd May 2007, 09:08 PM
Played in the 1st round of club champs at Middle Ridge today. Course was in fantastic nick.

Had a 89/73 (par is 73)..... ccr was 76 wtf????

Started on the 10th hole.... 1st shot of the day was a heely (almost airy)... dribbled about 100m down the hole... thought i was going to be in for a long day but managed to scramble for a bogey.

Ended up winning the day and am 1st in Net and 3rd in gross after round one.

Oh and I had a freaking 0.9 hcp reduction... down to 15.3... still 0.1 off pete though :(

Courty
22nd May 2007, 09:16 PM
Nice going, Shazza. When's the next round?

shazza_rs
22nd May 2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks courty... next round is on thursday. Then the 3rd and 4th rounds are next tuesday and thursday.

Eag's
22nd May 2007, 09:20 PM
Well done Shaz :smt023 you will be past Pete in no time ;)

PeteyD
22nd May 2007, 09:33 PM
Nice shooting heely

shazza_rs
22nd May 2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks Eags and Petey.... lets hope i can keep it up for the rest of the rounds.....

Another Ozgolfer is leading gross by 6 shots too....

AndyP
22nd May 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm glad my pep talk had some affect on your game, Shaz. Well done! :D

How was the putter travelling today?

Flowergirl
22nd May 2007, 10:23 PM
Well done Shazza-----------you go girl;)

Fishman Dan
23rd May 2007, 12:58 AM
Shazza - ban him from social rounds, you'll be in front in no time!!

shazza_rs
23rd May 2007, 07:28 AM
I'm glad my pep talk had some affect on your game, Shaz. Well done! :D

How was the putter travelling today?

Putting wasn't too bad .... i just worked it out and i had 38 putts.... didn't feel that bad. I tended to make a putt when i had to save a par/bogey.... but like playing at city, i tended to miss the ones for birdie and miss the returns for pars..... oopss.

mikezone13
23rd May 2007, 08:31 AM
As mentioned in the bayview thread in the first tee... I played Bayview with Jono, Burger and jimandr yesterday.

What started out looking like a very ordinary day after my normal irons weren't ready for me to play with got the back up sticks (Titleist 735's) in the bag and I then started bogey, double, bogey, bogey in the first 4 holes.

This quickly turned itself around with a run of solid pars from 5-7 and then birdies on 8 and 9. A run of seven straight 2 pointers from 10-16 was followed up by birdies on both 17 and 18 to complete a remarkable 43 points and 76 (+5) off the stick at a place I had never played before.

There were many highlights of the day including my 50 odd foot putt for a 2 on #8 after burger had hit his tee shot to 2-3 feet (in our matchplay) followed up by about a 20 footer for bird on 9.

Stats were fairly solid for a 12 marker :)

9/13 fairways
9/18 GIR
31 putts (no 3 putts)
No up and downs when chipping though, this was surprising given my score
4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double

While playing our matchplay it was tight for the first 9 holes with the match even and seesawing most of the way, burger then lost his way I ran away with a 5&3 victory.

The othe rpositive was that burger and I combined in the best ball comp for 49 points, will be checking today's papers for the singles and best ball results that's for sure.

BrisVegas
23rd May 2007, 08:43 AM
... got the back up sticks (Titleist 735's) in the bag ....a remarkable 43 points and 76 (+5) off the stick at a place I had never played before.

Geez Mike! Well done. I'd make that "backup" set your starting lineup. :smt038

Eag's
23rd May 2007, 09:29 AM
Great shooting Mike :smt038 say goodbye to your 12 hcp though ;)

BrisVegas
23rd May 2007, 09:32 AM
Great shooting Mike :smt038 say goodbye to your 12 hcp though ;)

in fact, welcome to 10 Mike!!! 9.9 according to your golflink.

mikezone13
23rd May 2007, 09:43 AM
in fact, welcome to 10 Mike!!! 9.9 according to your golflink.

Thanks for the congrats guys!!

Ouch I was 14.3 a month ago to the day. It's going to be a struggle to play to 10 (especially at my home track where the CCR is typically -2).

I like a challenge though and that's what this game is all about I guess.

On another note, I checked today's paper and I was not listed as winning the comp (which golflink says I did) and my partner and I with 49pts were not listed as the best ball winners, with the winners listed at 47pts. Anyone else encountered this when visiting courses before?

Grunt
23rd May 2007, 04:01 PM
Played @ Campbelltown today with Matt.
33 points
90 Gross
7 Fairways
36 Putts
4 GIR
2/7 up & downs
0/3 Sand Saves

Was a good round, I think I played pretty well, 2 bad shots hurt me though. Was tough to wipe the last:?. Also had a few putts that should have been put in. Hit some very good shots but still hit some poor ones. Oh well that was the last game off 17, back out to 18 for me:cry:.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd May 2007, 04:45 PM
Campbelltown with grant today. Hit it well, putted good with only 2x3 putts.

39 Points
8/12 fairways
11/18 greens
32 putts

+4 74 scratch which was good, still left a few shots out there but happy none the less.

BrisWesty
23rd May 2007, 05:54 PM
Well done Shazza and Mike!

Flowergirl
24th May 2007, 09:09 AM
Mike - I often play at a local course where I'm not a member. Even if I have the best score - I'm not the winner!! They accept my money to play in the comp but if I win I don't get the "prizemoney". Stupid - and annoying!!!!
Great scoring!!!!!!

I played par yesterday. The afternoon before I spent 3/4 hour practising putts - focusing on those short ones. The first two holes I missed two 2 footers!!!! I was worried.:smt093 Ended up -2 for the day - those first 2 putts!!! My driver must know I'm getting rid of it cos I drove beautifully all day. Amazing!!! Short game let me down. It was first round of Captains TRophy - I'm 2 off the pace. Played in long sleeeves and a vest all day. Winter is upon us here.:smt108

Stats
2 pars
14 bogeys
2 doubles.

Should have made a lot more up and downs.

Coffs_Hacker
24th May 2007, 12:40 PM
Coffs harbour track today - single stab 33pts

12/14 fairway
2/18 gir
30putts

2/3 gir per round is the avg lately. Is really hurting the scores

mikezone13
24th May 2007, 12:52 PM
Coffs harbour track today - single stab 33pts

12/14 fairway
2/18 gir
30putts

2/3 gir per round is the avg lately. Is really hurting the scores

I'll trade you 2-3 GIR's for a few up and downs. :D

Keza_G
24th May 2007, 03:27 PM
Finally made it back to a computer after spending 3 cold days in toowoomba playing with Sahzza in the Club Champs up there at middle ridge..

Tuesdy - Shot 81 gross and 75 nett.
Thursdy - Shot 89 gross and 84 nett.

Am currently leading the gross by about 6 or so shots after day 1 and couldnt be bothered waiting for results after day 2.
Was 3rd on Nett but dunno now..

I seriously think the Origin Goldies affected my game massively ! that ad possibly the lack of sleep.

Wish us luck next week..

mikezone13
24th May 2007, 03:32 PM
Mike - I often play at a local course where I'm not a member. Even if I have the best score - I'm not the winner!! They accept my money to play in the comp but if I win I don't get the "prizemoney". Stupid - and annoying!!!!

Spoke to a member today, he said visitors are eligible to win. Will be ringing the club shortly to enquire...

kpac
24th May 2007, 03:41 PM
I seriously think the Origin Goldies affected my game massively ! that ad possibly the lack of sleep.

worth it thought Keza :D

shazza_rs
24th May 2007, 08:10 PM
2nd round of club champs.....

had a nice round 100/84..... crapola!!!

difference between tuesday and thursday.... tuesday played the par 3's in +1.... today played them in +11.....:oops:

I don't think waiting on every single shot was doing much for my game.... out of rhythm.... out of patience.... out of caring.

Glad to get the crap round out of the way..... bring on rounds 3 and 4 next week.

PS... i'm running second in net, bout 6th in gross.

AndyP
25th May 2007, 09:19 PM
25/05/2007, Virginia GC, Social 4-man ambrose

I got a midweek invite to a freebie corporate game for today. Not too much in the way of prizes, but plenty of drinks on the way around, and lots of nibblies afterwards. (Are some of you disappointed you turned it down now?)

Individually I wasn't hitting it too bad, certainly not too many shockers. However, I can't get used to missing drives left more than right. That said, I was fairly solid with the driving which allowed the big hitters to have a crack.
I was the low marker in the group, so I had to save our butts a few times, which is a nice feeling when you pull it off, but it also meant I hardly got to putt.

Our team shot a 7 under 64 with a 9 5/8 handicap for 54 3/8 to win by a few shots.

Virginia is dry as can be expected, but greenish, as they got some water on the course last week (thanks to some burst pipes in the area that flowed to their dams). They are playing compulsory tee-up, so it was fun using driver for the 2nd at par 5s a couple of times.
The greens and surrounds were great though.

jimandr
26th May 2007, 06:03 PM
29 points today. At the time I was very unhappy, but in hindsight it wasn't so bad, because my ball-striking was much, much better than it has been for a while. Chipping and putting was awful, but that can't stay bad forever. Needed four pars for 36, but finished bogey, triple, double, bogey, missing putts under five feet on all four greens.

Fairways = 9 of 14
Greens in reg = 6 of 18, ran through the back 3 other times
Putts = 36, 1 3putt, 1 4putt, 1 birdie (from 2 feet)
Up&Down = 2 of 8
Sand saves = 0 of 2, both missed 4ft putts.

And I snapped the shaft on my sand wedge, right under the grip.

BrisVegas
26th May 2007, 06:29 PM
Monthly medal today. Hit the ball ok, but was hopeless on the greens. Left 4-5 birdie putts out there with lipouts galore. Got the shits with it eventually and had a few blowout holes coming in.

85 gross for 79 nett
11 fairways
7 GIR
32 putts

shazza_rs
26th May 2007, 07:51 PM
3rd round of club champs at riverlakes today.

had 98/82.... i had 56 on the front nine...... and i came home in 42.....

got the shites on the front nine with a chick we were playing with.... she was so freaking slow... oh and to top it off she was the low marker of the group and had no idea on the rules. Very frustrating.....

Anyway ... still seeded 4th out of 4.... lovin it!

peter_rs
26th May 2007, 08:24 PM
club champs round 3 riverlakes.

91/76.

the wrist held up ok, but with strapping putting and chipping was hard.

so after 3 rounds I'm level with the card. and seeded 4th which is a suprise... only 15 shots of gross :( and more of net. (8 shots of second)

Played ok...Lipped out a lot of putts.

Courty
26th May 2007, 08:35 PM
Single stableford today. I was very happy with my ball-striking again, and managed to get away without any putting disasters. I had 19 pts with a wipe on the front, and 20 pts on the back (with 2 x 1 pts) for a total of 39 pts (76 gross). I left about 4 makeable birdie putts out there, but that's ok, I'll claim them in the Club Champs next week. ;)

Stats:

FIR: 9/14
GIR: 11/18
U&D: 4/7
Putts: 30 (No 3 putts! :))

AndyP
26th May 2007, 08:38 PM
Kiss playing off 8 again in the near future goodbye. Nice one, Courty.

mikezone13
26th May 2007, 09:55 PM
FIR: 9/14
GIR: 11/18
U&D: 4/7
Putts: 30 (No 3 putts! :))

Very nice stats courty, and a good score to go with the stats. Well done!

BrisWesty
26th May 2007, 10:03 PM
Nice work Courty,
Played Caboolture - 85 off stick - 34 points - finished 1 point, 1 point on the last 2 holes.
32 putts with 2 3 putts
Want to stop hitting balloon drives.

oz
27th May 2007, 08:17 AM
For the first time I can remember, I was embarrassed by my play yesterday. Playing in a 27 hole event at Myrtleford, I just hit some awful golf shots. I shot 85 in the opening 18, which included 3 balls OB (and a quad on a par 5), and an array of duffs and mishits that defied logic. Having lost much interest in the game, and wishing the fairway would open up and swallow me, I then just got through the last 9 as quickly as I could. Lots of bogies (and worse), and another OB thrown in for good measure, and I chopped a 44 out of the last 9. Truly uninspiring golf. I need to re-assess my apporach to this game. I cannot continue to pick up the clubs once a week, and expect to have any kind of consistency. With little time for practice, though, a break may be a better idea..... OK, whinge over.

Coffs_Hacker
27th May 2007, 10:18 AM
33pts again at coffs on sat 13 front 20 back. Putting was pathetic on the front with 4x3putts. got it together after pulling out a Orange PGF ball for fun and making 5 straight pars :) on the back nine

8/14 Fir
6/18 gir
33 putts

PeteyD
27th May 2007, 02:12 PM
Single Stab at Reddy today. Played solid for 39 points (95/69). 9/14 Fairways, 1 GIR, 1 Sand Save, 31 putts. 4 Pars. Played well coming home with 23 points on the back nine.

CCR 72, came 2nd (41 points won it) and handicrap down to 24 now. Lowest point since restarting golf.

Moe Norman
27th May 2007, 03:21 PM
Indooroopilly Captains Course this morning.

41-40 for 81 off the stick and a net 75.

Played ok, just can't find the greens like I normally do lately - 300's going back in the bag next week!

6/14 Fairways
7/18 GIR (terrible!)
32 Putts

I can only recall getting up and down once - at least my putting continues to improve. Hit some woeful appraoches from 100m in :(

Courty
27th May 2007, 03:59 PM
I played only 2 & a bit holes today. It had been showery all morning, but we decided to go out anyway... big mistake. It started raining heavily before we got to the first green, but we persisted. I made tap-in pars on the first two, and was on the 3rd green in reg, but that was as far as we got. When we got up to the 3rd green, we found that there was an inch of water flowing across it (right over the hole), so we declared unplayable and squelched back in. :roll:

kpac
27th May 2007, 04:08 PM
Kept my stats today forthe first time:
Single stableford at nudgee south.
gross 81 nett 62
7 of 14 FIR
6 of 18 GIR
29 putts (that's pretty good for me!)
1 of 3 Sand Saves
6 of 9 Up and downs (which is also good for me!)

Scored 44 points and it was the putts and u&d's that got the score on the board, took nearly 9 holes to get the driver dialed in. But i'm not going to complain. :)

AndyP
27th May 2007, 04:17 PM
Gee kpac, thanks for letting me beat you. :shock:
Keep the improvement going.

Well done Petey, too.

mikezone13
27th May 2007, 04:31 PM
A good weekend for OzGolfers by the sounds of things... top score kpac and peteyd (1 GIR from 9 fairways? work on those irons mate :D)

For me today was a bti of fun but a good run in the middle of my round and a good 38pts was had, all holes putted out for 80 nett 70, CCR was 70 today so no change to my 9.9...

My solid irons and ability to hit em close are keeping me scoring well, my up and down stats (have been poor for ages) and fairway stats were poor.

Pretty certain I got closest to the pin today, was 127cm away with only 6 groups left, guys before me were at 160cm and 142cm, bet they would be surprised).

5/14 fairways (4/8 with driver and 1/6 with hybrid or 3 wood)
9/18 GIR
33 putts (1 x 3 putt)
2/8 up and downs (1 for bird)
3 birds (7 birds in my last 2 rounds now)
6 pars
7 bogies
2 doubles

chappy1970
27th May 2007, 05:43 PM
26 POINTS nuff said

Jarro
27th May 2007, 05:51 PM
33 points today at Nudgee South.

'nuff said :(

Flowergirl
27th May 2007, 08:33 PM
Played in comp at Rosebud Country Club tday with new clubs in a howling wind - which was a shame cos I really wanted to get a good feel on how far I can hit the hybrids on the actual course. They are awesome little clubs. I was hitting greens from over 150mtrs out - which for me is amazing. Not the distance aspect but the accuracy part. Very happy with them.
Except for the last two holes - my new driver was great. Rosa - my playing partner - is usually always a lot longer off the tee but today even though she was driving well - I was up with or past her. ( she's getting a new callaway soon :wink: ).

But you can't buy a good golf swing. Even though the R7's are set up for a draw - I still hit fades.

Also the TP red's are by far the best balls I have ever putted with. Far better than the ProV and are great around the greens too. Seeing I have 4 dozen of them now - this is a good thing.

I had 34 points - should have done better but a bit of a brain fade on the last few holes and the wind was pretty nasty. Also two - two shots in bunkers didn't help:smt093

CCR was 33 points ( toldya it was nasty) so another .3 off to 15.8.

Courty
27th May 2007, 09:14 PM
Also the TP red's are by far the best balls I have ever putted with.

Nice to hear they work for ya. Well played, by the way. :smt023

PeteyD
28th May 2007, 08:30 AM
A good weekend for OzGolfers by the sounds of things... top score kpac and peteyd (1 GIR from 9 fairways? work on those irons mate :D)

Plenty of stuff to the left, not sure if my alignment was off or I was pulling the irons. Quite a few within 1 metre of the green, so pretty happy regardless. Had a couple bounce through the green too.

W00t!! Just checked results and won division 2 on a count back!! haha!! Go the back 9.