PDA

View Full Version : Dumb or smart?

kpac
18th May 2007, 03:00 PM
Heavy practice the day before a game??

Well i was lucky enough to get the nod to play at brookwater tomorrow so in my enthusiasm i went to work this morning and knocked off at 10am and went to practice. I'm fearfull of reports that brookwater will eat me if i'm not "long and straight".
Anywho got a lesson off my normal pro. - which went well.
That was one hour solid
Hit 1/2 hour of balls before the lesson to "warm up" as i don't want to waste time in the lesson.
Then hit for 2 hours 12 - 2 solid on the range (irons only) to try and pick up everything i had been going over in the lesson. Had lunch and putted at the same time. and i'm just heading off now for a quick 9 to see how i'm going.

What is the general concensus here? - solid day's practice really (around 6 hours practice) is this advised the day before... lets be honest if i had all the time in the world i would have done the practice during the week, but it doesn't always work out this way.
Hopefully i haven't overdone it for tomorrow, but either way i think some practice must be better than none..

When do most people put in the bulk of their practice before an event they're gearing up for??

poidda
18th May 2007, 03:06 PM
I hate practice, so I'm off for a dozen beers. See you on the first tee.

PeteyD
18th May 2007, 03:08 PM
Young fella like you should not have any problems. Old farts like me seize up after doing that much stuff. Like pete says, 10 ounce lifts do wonders ;)

BrisVegas
18th May 2007, 03:10 PM
I try and get to the course at least 15min early and have a decent stretch, then roll a few putts. I'm pretty dilligent like that. doesn't feel right to rock up on the tee cold.

Ducky
18th May 2007, 03:14 PM
The better you prepare yourself, the better you play. Simple as that.

dc68
18th May 2007, 03:16 PM
Heavy practice the day before a game??

Well i was lucky enough to get the nod to play at brookwater tomorrow so in my enthusiasm i went to work this morning and knocked off at 10am and went to practice. I'm fearfull of reports that brookwater will eat me if i'm not "long and straight".
Anywho got a lesson off my normal pro. - which went well.
That was one hour solid
Hit 1/2 hour of balls before the lesson to "warm up" as i don't want to waste time in the lesson.
Then hit for 2 hours 12 - 2 solid on the range (irons only) to try and pick up everything i had been going over in the lesson. Had lunch and putted at the same time. and i'm just heading off now for a quick 9 to see how i'm going.

What is the general concensus here? - solid day's practice really (around 6 hours practice) is this advised the day before... lets be honest if i had all the time in the world i would have done the practice during the week, but it doesn't always work out this way.
Hopefully i haven't overdone it for tomorrow, but either way i think some practice must be better than none..

When do most people put in the bulk of their practice before an event they're gearing up for??

Kent in all honesty you have just done more practice than I have done in my whole life.

Choppa
18th May 2007, 03:34 PM
I think the practice is good, on the course just don't think about your swing or any changes your pro was giving you. Just get out there and let muscle memory take over and enjoy. Brookwater is too nice to worry about technique all day.

Eag's
18th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Kent, I used to put in a huge amount of hours a week at the range usually in 4 hour stints. Although I would flush the ball during these sessions, I found when I got to the course I was having trouble producing the same consistent swing.

After taking the advice from some of the blokes on this site, I now just play holes rather than hit the range. Since adopting this approach my golf game is starting to head in the right direction ;)

AndyP
18th May 2007, 05:05 PM
After reading the topic title and the author, I say dumb.

Then after reading the content, I still say dumb.

:lol:

I think practice works for different people, as long as you don't take those swing thoughts on to the course.

Don't get too caught up on how hard you think Brooky is going to be. It's only as hard as what you make it. ;)

Moe Norman
18th May 2007, 05:22 PM
when you practiced did you practice hitting shots from poor lies on different stances?

goughy
18th May 2007, 06:06 PM
It's just another golf course!

Jarro
18th May 2007, 06:14 PM
Just get to Brooky an hour early and practice hitting nice little draws with the driver mate, that's all you'll need ;)

Oh, maybe better practice putting as well :p

kpac
18th May 2007, 06:18 PM
Well i hit it nice for most part this afternoon. +6 which is pretty good for me..

Now sitting back for a couple of vino's, so trying to get the best out of both worlds.

1 thing that has raised its head is a blister on my thumb - that could get annoying.

As for those who replied reminding me that "the course is only as hard as you make it." Well i had a little look see on the net today and it shows you hole by hole, and they holes are substantially longer than southport, so my long iron play could be handy. I'm not expecting to practice SO hard that i play great tomorrow, just so that i can enjoy it. Just want to keep the ball in play and enjoy this course everyone ranks so highly.

either way i was very happy with how i played today, 3 up and downs and 3 pars, that's pretty tidy for me, regardless of score if i can continue to atleast hit it as cleanly as i did today i'd be able to enjoy myself :)

we'll see hey.

kpac
18th May 2007, 06:19 PM
ps: nine holes ONLY this afternoon (+6 looks a bit good if i dont highlight that ;)

Jarro
18th May 2007, 06:23 PM
Have a good one tomorrow Kent :smt023

Remember to take 1 more club than you think and swing smooooth ;)

AndyP
18th May 2007, 06:38 PM
As for those who replied reminding me that "the course is only as hard as you make it." Well i had a little look see on the net today and it shows you hole by hole, and they holes are substantially longer than southport, so my long iron play could be handy.
You've got over a shot a hole with your handicap. You don't have to go for every green in regulation.

kpac
18th May 2007, 06:53 PM
You've got over a shot a hole with your handicap. You don't have to go for every green in regulation.
c'mon andy - you've seen me putt! i need that shot when i'm on the green. :lol:

AndyP
18th May 2007, 08:00 PM
I've also seen you go for way too many "hero" shots. But yes, your putting stinks. (Do you think I could get away with saying that if I lost to you?)

kpac
18th May 2007, 08:05 PM
I've also seen you go for way too many "hero" shots. But yes, your putting stinks. (Do you think I could get away with saying that if I lost to you?)
nope!

"hero" shots - huh - anything that stays straight would be the best hero shot for me....

I'm not hoping to blister this course remember. Just play golf is enough for me. Dont care about playing to handicap or anything, aslong as they are coming out of the club alright.:smt038

BrisVegas
18th May 2007, 08:34 PM
dont stress kpac. If you play the comp tomorrow it's off the gold tees. It's really only a modest test from there. There are only a couple of holes where driver is a good option off the tee.

Moe Norman
18th May 2007, 08:37 PM
I'll guide you around mate - otherwise you'll get a club through the head from Andreas or Perci will have sold you 3 drivers by the 8th hole :)

BrisVegas
18th May 2007, 08:55 PM
I'll guide you around mate - otherwise you'll get a club through the head from Andreas or Perci will have sold you 3 drivers by the 8th hole :)

kpac - watch out for dog turd. :lol:

kpac
18th May 2007, 09:05 PM
kpac - watch out for dog turd. :lol:
note to self - dog turd :?

Perci will love looking at my bag (all sorts in there, and always looking at things) he'll have to do better than driver though, i think i'm in love with the 510:smt023 .

I'm not stressed guys just excited - brookwater has been on the to-do list for a long time.

Going to go put the drink away, scrub the clubs and i'll see you in the morn.

Moe Norman
18th May 2007, 09:12 PM
we're getting the turd out of the way first, should be smooth sailing from there :)

gazgolf1
18th May 2007, 09:48 PM
Kpac....Brooky will know you've been practicing and she will punish you. ;)