PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Courses

raidrboy
9th May 2007, 07:46 PM
I am travelling to Sydney for a couple of days week after next can someone give me the heads up on a nice course in the Penrith area that has carts available. I will only have time for one round so would appreciate any advice.

jimandr
9th May 2007, 08:24 PM
I am travelling to Sydney for a couple of days week after next can someone give me the heads up on a nice course in the Penrith area that has carts available. I will only have time for one round so would appreciate any advice.

Raidrboy,

Almost every course in Sydney has carts nowadays.

Depending upon how wide your definition of 'the Penrith Area' is, you have a selection of good, but not great, courses in the area.

Penrith - Wednesday Open Comp
Glenmore - Thursday Open Comp
Dunheved - Friday Open Comp

Leonay isn't as good, but it is also within 10 minutes of Penrith.

Ashlar (near Blacktown) is about 15 min from Penrith, and is about as typical a course as Sydney can throw up. Kikuyu fairways, lined with gum trees, lots of dog-log par 4's. Play there and you'll know why the Victorians are highly critical, but the rest of the golfing world aren't as snobbish as they are.

raidrboy
9th May 2007, 09:10 PM
Raidrboy,

Depending upon how wide your definition of 'the Penrith Area' is, you have a selection of good, but not great, courses in the area.

Ashlar (near Blacktown) is about 15 min from Penrith, and is about as typical a course as Sydney can throw up. Kikuyu fairways, lined with gum trees, lots of dog-log par 4's. Play there and you'll know why the Victorians are highly critical, but the rest of the golfing world aren't as snobbish as they are.

Jimandr,

Thanks for the tips. I don't want to have to travel to far as I have no idea of finding my way around. I am staying at my daughter's place at Stanhope Gardens but her husband is not a golfer so he wasn't very helpful. I am not one of the snobbish Victorians I don't mind what the course is like as long as I can get a round in. Once again thanks for the tips.

zipptopp
10th May 2007, 08:31 PM
raidrboy

If your staying at Stanhope Gardens Ashlar is 10 minutes away in Blacktown. Carts available and flat parkland course typical of Western Sydney as Jimandr said.

Tuesday and Thursday are both open comps I think. Check out events at www.ashlargolfclub.com.au

jimandr
10th May 2007, 08:34 PM
I totally forgot about Twin Creeks. Even though I haven't played it, I suspect it would be far superior to any of the other courses mentioned, but also three times as expensive. As an interstater, they would probably let you on if you rang in advance, but us locals who live in the slums have to know a member to get a game.

Tell us the date or dates, and some of our guys who are available for midweek games would probably join you and show you around one of the other courses.

raidrboy
12th May 2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help folks. When the missus and my daughter give me a copy of our itinerary I might be able to take up that offer.

Hooker
13th May 2007, 05:38 PM
Raidrboy,

Out of the courses recommended I would have to say that Glenmore is the pick of them. It's only 10 minutes from Penrith
Couch fairways , not too many trees, a little undulating , sloping tricky greens , and quite a few water holes .
Check out the website . www.glenmoregolf.com.au (http://www.glenmoregolf.com.au)

Grunt
13th May 2007, 06:38 PM
I would say Penrith is the best option. raidrboy if I am off I would be happy to join you for a game. I can pick you up for it too if you like.