4/18 effective approaches.
4/9 up & down successes.
30 putts.
------------
2 birdies.
6 pars.
7 bogeys.
3 doubles.

Score 40-39-79 stab 17-19-36pts (Par 34-34-68 ACR 66)

I definitely wasn't swinging as well as I was for the last couple of days, and as a result it was a bit more of a struggle.

The soft areas around the edges of the hard greens are giving me the shits. Three times I hit them, to see my ball stop or roll back, instead of kicking on.

Fortunately, the putter was up to the task and allowed me to post a respectable score.

Next round: 20/5, City GC.

Flowergirl
7th May 2007, 03:37 PM
Gee there are some great golf being played by youse guys. :smt038

mikezone13
7th May 2007, 04:23 PM
4/18 effective approaches.

Please explain an "effective" approach.... I'm sure you've been asked before but I would like to know

Courty
7th May 2007, 05:16 PM
I played in a single stableford today, expecting little after my poor score on Saturday. However, I did hit the ball much better on the 2nd nine on Saturday, and that form continued on into today's round. I finished with 40 pts including 1 wipe and 2 x 4 pointers (both birdie's on shot holes). I lipped out another birdie putt and left 3 other putts hanging on the lip.

Stats
FIR: 9/14
GIR: 9/18
U & D: 6/9
Putts: 28
Score: 37+39 = 76/ 20+20 = 40pts

The one thing that bugs me is that the handicaps hadn't been updated since Saturday's round. I played off 8.4 and should have got 0.1 back from Saturday. That would mean I should have played off 8.5 (9) which would have given me 41 pts (I parred index 9). I bet I lose on a countback now. :evil:

Eag's
7th May 2007, 05:30 PM
Nice shooting mate, good to see you returning to some good form :smt023

Iain
7th May 2007, 05:47 PM
Please explain an "effective" approach.... I'm sure you've been asked before but I would like to know

I'm pretty sure he means, an effective approach as being on the fringe, or where he can putt from??

But I'm sure he'll be on here to clarify sometime shortly...

There's been some threads about stat's where its merits have been discussed.

goughy
7th May 2007, 05:54 PM
It is where he doesnt hit his target but it is close enough to his target that it will do. ;)

You could also call it stat boosting (surprised jarro hasnt caught onto that one yet :o )

Moe Norman
7th May 2007, 06:52 PM
Third game since the back injury today - with some old school mates out at Karana Downs (good nick, they have their own effluent water)

Didn't keep stats, but played quite well. Had 69 off the stick (Par of 66)

I always shoot well on these courses with lots of Par 3's as it allows me to to avoid weak parts of my game and play to my strengths.

Drove the ball pretty poorly (only hit driver 3 times, all bad ones) irons were very good and I didn't miss putts I should make and I made a few more than normal.

Overall, happy.

Jarro
7th May 2007, 07:12 PM
It is where he doesnt hit his target but it is close enough to his target that it will do. ;)

You could also call it stat boosting (surprised jarro hasnt caught onto that one yet :o )

Is that an effective sledge ??

I mean, it's a sledge but not really a sledge isn't it :roll:

goughy
7th May 2007, 07:59 PM

I mean, it's a sledge but not really a sledge isn't it :roll:

:smt023

Iain
7th May 2007, 08:16 PM

Better ask AP that one!!

AndyP
7th May 2007, 09:48 PM
I moved a few posts, as I realised it's a new week.

I'm pretty sure he means, an effective approach as being on the fringe, or where he can putt from??
It's pretty much an approach that means I'll definitely be pulling out the putter for my next shot. So it's hitting the green or fringe (if it's friendly enough to putt on and not too far away from the pin).

You could also call it stat boosting Makes my approach stats look better, but adds putts.

Iain
7th May 2007, 10:06 PM
So you call it a putt if you've called it an effective approach??

Fair enough?

AndyP
7th May 2007, 10:13 PM
Yep, if I sink a putt from the fringe it is a one putt hole, not zero putts, which seems more logical to me. Not that this example happens very often.

mikezone13
8th May 2007, 07:30 AM
AndyP, so I assume if you have to chip out of the trees on a par 4 and have 120m left for your 3rd shot your 3rd shot then becomes the approach?

From what distance do you assume it's not an approach? Example you have 210m to a par 5, you know you can get there, but don't expect to and are looking to get close to the green.

Not picking at your stat keeping, just interested as I can see how it can be a beneficial stat to look out.

For the record I also do something similar to you with putts from off the green, but I only count it as a putt if I'm within a few feet of the green.

AndyP
8th May 2007, 07:36 AM
Just effective regulation approaches, mz13. So the third into a par 4 wouldn't count, as well as the distance making no difference (your par 5 example). The only difference to GIR is that I might (but not always) count it if it is just off the green.

Courty
8th May 2007, 03:34 PM
The one thing that bugs me is that the handicaps hadn't been updated since Saturday's round. I played off 8.4 and should have got 0.1 back from Saturday. That would mean I should have played off 8.5 (9) which would have given me 41 pts (I parred index 9). I bet I lose on a countback now. :evil:

Faaaaaaarrrkkkk!! Golflink is updated. Wouldn't you know it. I lost on a countback. :smt013 :smt093 :smt013 :smt093 :smt013 :smt093 :smt013 :smt093

And lost a full shot. :smt108

AndyP
8th May 2007, 03:37 PM
Well done, but can you explain to me how you lost a full shot, when you should only lose 0.2 for each shot under, that is, 4 x 0.2 = 0.8?

Courty
8th May 2007, 03:39 PM
That's what I thought. Maybe they calculated the adjustment based on a handicap of 9 (what I was supposed to play off). GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Courty
8th May 2007, 03:41 PM
And to make it worse, there was only 33 entrants in the field. So I'll probably only get a couple of balls for my efforts. I think I'm gonna burst a blood vessel in a minute. :shock:

AndyP
8th May 2007, 03:41 PM
That would explain it. Play the comp off 8, and lose on countback as a result, but get handicapped off 9. You've been double whammied!

mikezone13
8th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Very unfortunate.... but funny as it happened to someone else ;)

Courty
8th May 2007, 03:48 PM
I think I better buy some new gear to make myself feel better. ;)

dc68
9th May 2007, 01:20 PM
Ha well I had 37 points on Satdee and 36 points on Mondee and went out :roll:

AndyP
9th May 2007, 01:36 PM
Can we list our sob stories here?

I individually had 7 under nett over 3 rounds for the weekend, and only came in 0.2. ;)

Jarro
9th May 2007, 01:59 PM
That's because you choked big-time at Woodford :p

Flowergirl
9th May 2007, 03:29 PM
Stroke round today - second round club champs ( which I'm out of). Played ok for 87 gross - 71 net. Seeing I'm at 16.4 happy to be in buffer - CCR was 71.
And you'll never guess - I WON THE PUTTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEP - 30 PUTTS:mrgreen:
Now I know a lot of you would not be impressed witht that but it is BY FAR the lowest I've ever had. And lucky cos I was scambling a lot out there today. Lots of trees in places that I didn't remember. :-k

dc68
9th May 2007, 03:33 PM
Reenie.... you blade you.

Well done.

PeteyD
9th May 2007, 03:36 PM
Don;t you hate it when the ground staff move the trees!!

Well done!!

Eag's
9th May 2007, 03:44 PM
Top effort Reenie, maybe you can give me a few tips ;)

cazandpaul
9th May 2007, 03:53 PM
35 points today - started well, had a sleep in the middle and finished OK - good enough to win lunch so all is well in the world.

amanda
11th May 2007, 03:16 PM
27 points today - I think twice as good as I played at Mac Links the other day! I finally figured out how to hit my 5w (thank goodness!) but it took 17 holes to sort it out. Made 2 nice pars and put my name on a NTP @ 163cm - but it was early in the day.

Thanks to Andrew - finally played golf together - I think he's waved us off from the car park more times :) I love his attitude to balls that go into the hazard - they can just stay lost and he keeps on walking.

Thanks to Jono also - we both managed to forget our golf shoes this morning - lucky my runners had enough grip to be ok. Poor Jono had to buy new golf shoes.

Dunheved was in great condition - nice greens, though I was fooled by the rabbit-effect on the 1st green.

3oneday
11th May 2007, 04:49 PM
I was fooled by the rabbit-effect on the 1st green.huh ?

Grunt
11th May 2007, 05:36 PM
What is the Rabbit-effect?

Grunt
11th May 2007, 05:45 PM
Played in a 2 ball Ambrose this morning @ Cabramatta, was a good fun day. Was hitting the ball ok with the normal swinging too fast mishits. Hopefully will play well tomorrow.

mikezone13
11th May 2007, 07:29 PM
Calcutta day.... absolutely terrible play by myself, could not get off the tee straighht with even my go to clubs (hybrid and 3w). Finally came good when it was too late to finish well back in the field.

Thankfully my playing partner had a good day and finished second and I had a share of him in the syndicate as well as putting some cash on him for a place at the tote.

All up about $800 outgoings and only regained about $300, so an expensive, yet really fun day.

The winner (and the owner of the winner) performed really well with some great bets and a big fat wallet to go home with.

BrisVegas
11th May 2007, 07:32 PM
Was hitting the ball ok with the normal swinging too fast mishits. Hopefully will play well tomorrow.

Do you mean like this?

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7923/img1393mediumin7.jpg

I don't know how you do that! I can barely scratch my left shoulder blade with my right arm. Is there something dislocated in that pic?

Grunt
11th May 2007, 07:37 PM
Do you mean like this?

I don't know how you do that! I can barely scratch my left shoulder blade with my right arm. Is there something dislocated in that pic?

Nah just really flexible, and I will be getting more flexible with all the training I am doing at the moment.

Courty
11th May 2007, 09:35 PM
Here's what a nice balanced follow through should look like: :p

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/290/ozgolfers041ft6.jpg

Eag's
11th May 2007, 09:40 PM
Bloody hell Grant, that finish reminds me of a drunk octopus falling down a flight of stairs :razz:
My back aches just looking at it :shock:

3oneday
11th May 2007, 09:41 PM
:shock:

mikezone13
11th May 2007, 09:58 PM
Do you mean like this?

That really is scary when you look at it, I think your next swing lesson should be about balance mate and swinging within yourself not 'all around' yourself :D

Jono
12th May 2007, 08:13 AM
Remember that's Grant's "old" swing ... ;)

shazza_rs
12th May 2007, 02:39 PM
Back on topic :roll:

Played 1st round of Club champs today.

Had 96/80.... it was really windy out there today.

I hit all kinds of shots today and when i added my score up i was surprised to see i hadn't cracked the ton.

Amongst the comedy today i had
- 40 putts including 1 x 4 putt
- lost 2 balls (both on the same hole)
- 4 pars
- 8 bogies
- 4 doubles
- 1 triple
- 1 x 10 :evil:

Oh well, hope next week goes better.

Courty
12th May 2007, 04:34 PM
1st round of the Good Guys Classic today (36 hole Sat/ Sun stroke event).
I shot 79/71 in similar circumstances to my 76 on Monday. For the vast majority of the holes, I never looked like making worse than par, but threw in a few ordinary holes just to keep me on my toes. I was +3 after the 1st nine, still +3 after 14, then had two doubles in the last 4 holes. :evil:

Stats.
FIR: 7/14
GIR: 10/18
Putts: 29
U/D: 6/9

13 pars, 3 bogies, 2 doubles.

oz
12th May 2007, 04:48 PM
79 with a couple of dopey doubles in my round at Thurgoona today. Drove the ball very solidly... a couple of nice iron shots, but my wedge play was very ordinary. 3 putted the 18th, to leave with a sour taste in my mouth.

jimandr
12th May 2007, 05:03 PM
My third really awful ball-striking round in a row, lucky to get 30 points out of it. Started with the intention of trying to hit fades. After a shank out of bounds on the 2nd (twice in 3 games I've done this) I abandoned that idea and just tried to hit good shots, unsuccessfully.

Fairways = 6 of 14
Greens in reg = 2 of 18
Putts = 31, zero 3putts, zero birdies
Up&Down = 3 of 8
Sand Saves = 1 of 2
3 penalty shots.

Fishman Dan
12th May 2007, 07:43 PM
Nett +5. A really ugly day, but 4 of those 5 shots were lost in the last 3 holes.

The day actually started with a guy coming to do a quick fix on the car, which hit complications and resulted in me being in the 3rd last group of the day. Found it tough, I don't like late starts and they weren't the chattiest group.

Started out slowly, but after a birdie on 6 I was 3 up, and prompty lost all of those shots with a quad on the Index 1 8th due to a lost ball. No one could exactly verify it went into the hazard, so it cost me 2 shots and distance. It was pretty ordinary stuff from there.

Drove poorly, irons were ok save for a few bad shots, and putting only really came to me on the 10th green.

AndyP
12th May 2007, 07:45 PM
I don't like late starts and they weren't the chattiest group.
Worst excuse ever!

Fishman Dan
12th May 2007, 10:02 PM
I stopped short of saying "they made me 3-putt twice in the first 5 holes".

peter_rs
13th May 2007, 06:03 AM
OK.

First round of club champs at riverlakes and first round for the new clubs.
-Ft3 was a bad club for the first time.
-4 balls in the water
-40 putts... I was happy to 3 putt at times
-The new wedges where hard to adjust too.
-put my name down on 3 of the NTP

All in all I'm happy with the change of shafts and new wedges.

So after all that I had to sign for a ..... nett 69 go figure.

Grunt
13th May 2007, 07:07 AM
Played @ Mac Grange yesterday, had a pretty good day with a couple of wipes as per normal. Weird thing was the score I put in is not the score that went on GolfLink, my partner and I had me at 33 points but this morning my score was entered as 31.
Accuracy off tee was really good hit 10/12 fairways :p
Iron play although was not bad, silly me had me not aiming up right or something, I kept just missing greens. Only hit 3 greens in regulation.
Putter was on fire with 30 putts including 8 x 1 putts and 2 x 3 putts

Round Stats
Gross 90
33 point (31 on golflink)
10 fairways
3 GIR
9/10 Up & Downs
1/2 Sand Save
30 putts
4 Penalties

amanda
13th May 2007, 07:59 AM
What is the Rabbit-effect?
Apparently the 1st green is the favourite nibbling ground of rabbits during the evenings - the green is shorter than all the rest - so a bit quicker (though lumpier)

Grunt
13th May 2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks Amanda, could not for the life of me work it out.

markTHEblake
13th May 2007, 12:53 PM
I concur with the above but isnt it great to see the learning golfer really having a go! He will only get better and its go Grunts advantage to start out that way rather then being a nancy boy like myself.

Jarro
13th May 2007, 12:57 PM
No arguements there at all Blakey, you summed it all up pretty well there ... particularly the last part.

markTHEblake
13th May 2007, 01:26 PM
Hmm there are so many ways to reply to that, but its Sunday.

Love ya Jarro.

3oneday
13th May 2007, 01:39 PM
Huh ? :confused:

Grunt
13th May 2007, 02:02 PM
I concur with the above but isnt it great to see the learning golfer really having a go! He will only get better and its go Grunts advantage to start out that way rather then being a nancy boy like myself.

Thanks MTB
Starting to have fun at golf again, best thing is I am having fun with guys that I have no idea who they are before tee off. Might be the go for me once again.
Also another thing that might be a good thing is I am now fit enough to carry my bag around Mac Grange, carried it yesterday and was not tired one bit, the round never fizzled out either finished Bogey, par, wipe (could not get ball out of the rough), par, par. This gym get fit regime has an outcome that I did not expect.

Jarro
13th May 2007, 02:58 PM
Huh ? :confused:

Blake has clearly moved in with Macleod and has been sampling his medication :smt108

Courty
13th May 2007, 05:12 PM
2nd round of the Good Guys Classic 36-holer today. I didn't quite have the swing grooved as well as I did yesterday, probably a bit of tiredness carried over. I played well in patches, but again had a couple of double bogies to spoil a reasonable round. I finished with 82 (74) which I wasn't entirely unhappy with. For the 36 holes, I was only +1 nett. Only 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Stats.
GIR: 6/18 :oops:
U/D: 6/10
Sand saves: 1/2

mikezone13
13th May 2007, 05:31 PM
2nd round of the Good Guys Classic 36-holer today. I didn't quite have the swing grooved as well as I did yesterday, probably a bit of tiredness carried over. I played well in patches, but again had a couple of double bogies to spoil a reasonable round. I finished with 82 (74) which I wasn't entirely unhappy with. For the 36 holes, I was only +1 nett. Only 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Stats.
GIR: 6/18 :oops:
U/D: 6/10
Sand saves: 1/2

Same ball striking stats as me...

9/14 Fairways
6/18 GIR

...but very different short game stats...
39 putts :shock: (cored, sanded and not cut for one week greens)
0/9 Up and Downs :cry:

32 points were scored off the new 11 handicap... that gets me the valuable .1 back to 11.5 ;)

Flowergirl
13th May 2007, 07:35 PM
:smt038 Mothers Day - florist - no golf - but enough money for new golf gear.:smt038

Fishman Dan
13th May 2007, 07:36 PM
Woke up, called Mum, chatted to this missus and found out she has a visit to a friend planned - for her. So 45 minutes later I was on the first tee.

Started very well and was even through 5, but a poor double on 6 and a missed par putt on the Index 1 7th slowed the momentum. Wiped 9 to turn 1-up.

Unlike yesterday, I stayed 1-up through the holes I was chasing a shot yesterday, and a par on 15 was my final 3-pointer to finish with a tidy-ish 38 points.

Driver still misbehaving. Irons were hot'n'cold, and putter was solid enough all day for 30 putts.

Not sure if the handicap will drop, I'm sure the CCR will be 38 pts.

shazza_rs
13th May 2007, 09:18 PM
Just looked up golflink for club champs.... i'm 11 shots off the pace after round one... only 5 ladies in A Grade and 16 in the whole of club champs.... how pathetic......

Courty
14th May 2007, 01:11 PM
2nd round of the Good Guys Classic 36-holer today. For the 36 holes, I was only +1 nett.

Golflink is updated. As best as I can tell, it looks like I may have taken 3rd place in A-Grade nett for the 36 hole total. That might be enough to get me a toaster or a hair-dryer. :roll:

The bastards got me for Saturday. I'm now back on 7. :mad:

AndyP
14th May 2007, 01:22 PM
The bastards got me for Saturday. I'm now back on 7. :mad:
That's a bad thing? You are the first of the MIP winners to start heading in the direction that got you the award in the first place. ;)

Courty
14th May 2007, 01:27 PM
That's a bad thing? You are the first of the MIP winners to start heading in the direction that got you the award in the first place. ;)

Look at my scores before 2 weeks ago. I'm not yet convinced that I'm capable of playing anywhere close to that handicap over an extended period of time. Only time will tell. On the flip-side, I'm only 1 round away from being back on 8. ;)

Fishman Dan
14th May 2007, 04:40 PM

Is that proof that perhaps more consideration needs to be taken with the "I" portion of the MIP?

AndyP
14th May 2007, 05:23 PM
I don't think improving after the year has finished will be criteria.

cazandpaul
15th May 2007, 04:23 PM
40 points on Sunday after a few indifferent rounds - back within 6 of Caz:oops: :)

Flowergirl
15th May 2007, 04:40 PM
40 points on Sunday after a few indifferent rounds - back within 6 of Caz:oops: :)

Way to go Paul. You'll catch her yet.:lol:

Eag's
15th May 2007, 05:14 PM
Nice shooting Paul :smt038