PDA

View Full Version : increasing swingweight of driver - All sorted now!

Chris32
7th May 2007, 02:38 PM
G'day guys and girls,

just a quick question, whats the easiest way to increase the swingweight of a driver?

Currently playing a H-bore with 65gram V2 shaft, and compared to my irons, hybrid and 3 wood, which all have S300 steel shafts, it feels quite light

I love the weight of my 3 wood, as I can really feel where it is in my swing so to speak, bu my driver can sometimes feel a bit lost

Nothing wrong with the driver as such, but it feels allot differant to my other clubs and it would be nice to get a bit more of a weighty feel to it

Any help would be great,

Chris

Colin
7th May 2007, 03:17 PM
G'day guys and girls,

just a quick question, whats the easiest way to increase the swingweight of a driver?

Currently playing a H-bore with 65gram V2 shaft, and compared to my irons, hybrid and 3 wood, which all have S300 steel shafts, it feels quite light

I love the weight of my 3 wood, as I can really feel where it is in my swing so to speak, bu my driver can sometimes feel a bit lost

Nothing wrong with the driver as such, but it feels allot differant to my other clubs and it would be nice to get a bit more of a weighty feel to it

Any help would be great,

Chris

I'd say either swap out the shaft for something heftier, or try lead tape on the head )may want to add weight to the butt end if you do that.

Col

McCoy
7th May 2007, 08:49 PM
You can take the grip off, poor tungsten powder down the shaft and stop it with a cork. The cost and duration of that would probably equal getting it reshafted though.
So give lead tape a go.

Chris32
21st May 2007, 05:00 PM
Well, bit of an update

After a bit of thinking, I had the shaft pulled, and a weight inserted at the base of the shaft.

Some quick measuring and weighing saw my driver coming in at 44.5" long, with a swingweight of C6 - pretty light, as I suspected

With the weight installed, swingweight is now D2, and feels much better

I found out my irons swingweight at D6, my hybrid at D7, 3 wood also D6.

Feel wise, it is easier to swing, as I can get a better feel for where the head is.

Performance wise, its allot better. Had the best round I have had in quite a few weeks. Not any loss in distance, so pretty happy

Worth doing if anyone else is in a similar situation

Flowergirl
21st May 2007, 05:32 PM
:smt038 Good onya Chris. Nice to solve a problem and get the right results. Hope you continue to play well.