PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting local rules.

Bruce
3rd May 2007, 09:20 PM
On Rex Sheppard’s recent travels in Scotland and England, he came across these ‘local’ rules.

Perhaps we are not so badly off after all.

In 1940, this list of Temporary Local Rules was applied to members of the Northern Golf Club, Aberdeen, Scotland:

* Players are asked to collect the bomb shrapnel splinters to avoid damage to the mowing machine.
* In competition, during gunfire or while bombs are falling, players may take shelter without penalty for ceasing play.
* The position of known delayed-action bombs is marked by red flags at a reasonable, but not guaranteed, safe distance there from.
* Shrapnel and or bomb splinters on the fairways or in the bunkers, within one club length of the ball, may be moved without penalty, and no penalty shall be incurred if a ball is thereby caused to move accidentally.
* A ball moved by enemy action may be replaced, of if destroyed, a ball may be dropped not nearer the hold without penalty.
* A player whose stroke is affected by the simultaneous explosion of a bomb may play another ball. Penalty one stroke.

I love the enemy action one.

mikezone13
3rd May 2007, 09:34 PM
Sure that's not on the back of the card of the Royal Baghdad Golf Club? :D

oz
4th May 2007, 07:27 AM
Imagine the clubhouse banter..... "He had a good round going on the front, but blew up on the back 9..... " ;)

goughy
4th May 2007, 07:39 AM
:)

Rusty
4th May 2007, 08:57 AM
very confident that lot, to the extent of no relief in the event of "friendly action".

Matt 3 Jab
4th May 2007, 09:41 AM
Gives new meaning to "bombing it down the middle!"

BrisWesty
4th May 2007, 09:16 PM
Did they have a one plane or a two plane swing?

jimandr
5th May 2007, 12:14 AM
I haven't googled this to check, but I find it hard to believe.

Aberdeen was about as far away from the UK action in WW2 as you could get. If it were the south of England, I'd be more accepting.

markTHEblake
5th May 2007, 09:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but I did google and apparently Aberdeen was one of the most bombed cities outside of London.

I still think it sounds like an urban legend, , google turns up the same local rules at Richmond in England , and also a lot of golf courses were turned into grazing land during ww2. Then again St Andrews never closed down at all.

in any case check out the golf course on google earth, lovely strip of land where there is about 3 of 4 courses on the links.