View Full Version : Week Commencing 30th April

Coffs_Hacker
1st May 2007, 05:48 PM
Played at sawtell GC today in a single stab - 39pts
1 wipe and 2x1pt, 2 birdie
9 fir
7 gir
33 putts

Left a lot out there with 4-5 putts half a roll short but hitting my approaches better.

BrisVegas
1st May 2007, 06:54 PM
nicely played Craig.

PeteyD
2nd May 2007, 12:50 PM
Monthly Mug at Reddy today. Struggled around for a nett 80. 36 Putts (had a number of them lip out, one of those days). 3 Pars. The precept irons I got off Perci went ok for their first outing. Was on the green on 16 (159m Par 3) for the first time in ages.

Grunt
2nd May 2007, 02:08 PM
Scrappy Round
31 points
92 Gross
75 Nett (par 70)

6 Fairways
5 Gir
2 pars :?
1 Birdie:)
35 putts
2x 3 putts:cry: 1x 4 putt:evil:
1 Chip in:lol:
4/9 Up & Down
0/4 Sand Saves:?

Was yet another round where I left so many shots out on the course, putting was terrible and driver just was not working all day the times I found the fairway, it was not a good shot in. Just one of those days, beats workin' though:D. Might have another hit Friday morning.

Iain
2nd May 2007, 06:43 PM
Played in the Mug at Reddy. 90 for a nett 77. 2 doubles and 2 triples kinda ruined things. But went ok, other than those holes. Putted well, greens are in great nick atm. Still persisting with no driver or 3 wood, even though we played of the back, most I had in on the longest hole was 5 iron.

I'll be starting to try and get some regular practice in from now on though, trying to improve the driver, and the general swing overall....

Bruce
3rd May 2007, 06:32 PM
Played the Yooralla Charity day at The National Ocean course today. Challenging conditions with stiff breeze and the odd squall. It was an ambrose though so there was a bit of protection and we shot the collective lights out.

However, after starting on 13 we got to 8 when the lightning storm arrived. The siren sounds and we were all called in. No further play was possible in the time allowed and so we ended up only being able to play 13 holes. I was gutted. This is one of the best courses I have played in my life and we playing pretty well. Is there a better feeling in golf than being challenged by the course and conditions and rising to them? It really was one of those days.

The consolation was that we won. 8) Woohoo!

I won a very schmick bridgestone carry bag, shoe bag and 1/4 share of a $6000 color printer/copier. Despite playing only 13 holes and getting soaked it was one of the best days of my golfing life.

BrisVegas
4th May 2007, 06:32 AM
Holy crap Bruce! Nice one! (Throw that printer on ebay)

Grunt
4th May 2007, 07:07 AM
Played 9 holes yesterday morning at Mac Grange
41 (6 over)
3 pars & 6 bogies
Played ok except driver is plain not working, filthy slices 150m forward & 100m sideways. Lucky Mac Grange is relatively open and you can find the other fairways with slices that big.

Eag's
4th May 2007, 07:38 AM
Way to go Bruce :smt023 sounds like a top day all round regardless of the weather :)

Bruce
4th May 2007, 08:21 AM
Holy crap Bruce! Nice one! (Throw that printer on ebay)

I'm hoping this could cover my noms for Kooringal. Membership in town is now a possibility.

chappy1970
4th May 2007, 12:28 PM
Well done Bruce, I see rising through the ranks of IBM are treating you well.

All aboard the gravy train.............next stop Golfvile

Courty
5th May 2007, 07:24 AM
9 holes yesterday (within 2 hours of stepping off the plane) to try to regain some form before today's Monthly Medal round. Started off disgracefully. Massive slice off the tee, bladed wedge over the green, ugly, ugly, ugly. Tap-in bogey on the next. Then it clicked. 3 birds in 4 holes and a few easy pars to finish it off. :mrgreen:

kpac
5th May 2007, 08:28 AM
Played 9 hole warm up game on thursday night in prep for a 4 ball ambrose yesterday at emerald lakes.
9 Hole warm up on the back 9 at emerald lakes was pretty ugly. Didn't get aproach shots close all night only highlight was a super up and down on he 18th to finish- which i convinced myself was the perfect way to finish so i could come back tomorrow and pick up where i left off.

4Ball Ambrose - Ken Russell Memorial (150 people 2 groups a hole)
Although the golf in a ambrose does not reflect how you play or a real situation, this event is pretty high on my social calendar and the team format is great when you have a dedicated team like we do each year.

Anyway i did pick up where i left off the night before, took my drive on the first (long par 4) took mates 6 iron, not on the green, and i chipped in for a bird on our first hole. :D unfortunatelly there were 3 or 4 occasions where we let ourselves down but overall we played quite well.
Scored 9 under the card for a net 52.75 (which we though would be bloody close)
It wasn't winners on count back 51.5! (but in hindsight ifwe had of rolled two more put which we did leave out there i'm not totally shocked by the score) Was a cracker day!

BrisWesty
5th May 2007, 12:05 PM
Played pretty crap in the 3rd round of the champs at Caboolture. 93/80. Lots of interesting pin positions. 1 GIR, 4 fairways
I must be psyching myself up for the game vs ALo!
The new 13th fairway is now in play, the old fairway is OOB so that's now a dogleg par 4 for now. They're bringing in the tiger tee tomorrow, which is another 30 something metres back. 430m par 4s. Not my cup of tee, they could have pushed it back 50 and made it a short par 5 instead.

AndyP
5th May 2007, 12:24 PM
05/05/2007, Nambour GC, 4BBB Stableford.

Approximate stats (picked up a few times when partner had holed)

8/12 effective T-shots.
8/18 effective approaches.
2/6 up & down successes.
33 putts.
---------------
0 eagles.
1 birdie.
10 pars.
5 bogeys.
2 doubles.

Approx Score (B9 1st) 39-37-76 stab 19-20-39pts (Par 34-34-68 ACR 65)
Team Score 46pts (might scrape in for a ball)

Another round, another gettable eagle chance goes by. :cry: This time the putt from 3-4m fell just short. However, the driver and 3W shots preceding this were sublime (the 7th for those that were wondering).

Overall, a pretty solid round. By the end of it, my conservative plans for clubs off the tee, got changed to driver as it was going so straight.

I was putting well, but they just wouldn't go in the hole. I don't expect to sink all medium/long putts, but surely a couple of the many that I hit well, could have dropped. :roll: The positive is that I am having these putts in the first place, because I am hitting more greens.

Next round: 6/5, Woodford GC.

Matt 3 Jab
5th May 2007, 12:59 PM
Bit of a rough day today, hit some good shots only to have them spin back alot more than needed and roll either to outside 20 feet or off the green from inside 6 feet twice on some par 3's, the putter also was horrid as the pace of the greens and general reading was shocking.

Gross 88 (par 70)
Nett 81
Fairways: 6/12
Greens: 10/18
Putts: 45 :( :(

Well, more practice needed with the flatblade i guess................ other than that i stuck the ball pretty solid.

Grunt
5th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Monthly Medal @ Mac Grange.
Tough day out there, could not get off the tee all day. Was trying to hit the ball too hard!.
90 Gross
73 Nett
6 Fairways
6 Gir
39 Putts :( 4 3putts and 1 4 putt:(
6 pars

Recovered well to come back from an 8 on the 1st.

Fishman Dan
5th May 2007, 02:58 PM
Medal Day.

Was +7 through 5 to finish +13 and play to handicap. Had +4 on the back including a double.

Messed up a lot of shots including a 3-putt 1st hole, a 3-putt 2nd (one of them was fringe to fringe), a 3-putt par from just off the edge of the Index 18... you get the drift.

jimandr
5th May 2007, 04:29 PM
I played really badly in our monthly medal today. I think I'll be spending part of tomorrow on a practice fairway. Started with a 3putt double, finished with a 3 putt double, both from drives in the middle of the fairway. Gross 86 for nett 79.

Fairways = 10 of 14
GIR = 7 of 18
Putts = 38, 3 threeputts, all for double bogey, zero birdies
Up&Down = 0 of 6
Sand Saves = 1 of 4.

Iain
5th May 2007, 04:48 PM
Played Monthly Medal this morning. Happy with how I played, except for the quad on the Par 3 13th....!! :mad:

Had 82/69. 30 putts. Down to 12.0

PeteyD
5th May 2007, 04:56 PM
Nice score Iain. 13th is a nasty hole at times.

mikezone13
5th May 2007, 05:31 PM
Monthly medal today, 79 gross for a net 66 with a ccr of 73 gave me both the scratch and nett wins in B grade.

Hit the ball supurb all day and it could've been even better. Was only 2 over par through 12 but slipped a bit with 5 over for the last 6 including two 3 putt bogies.

All in all very happy with my ball striking.

8/13 Fairways
9/18 GIR
33 putts
1 bird
9 pars
8 bogies

First round in god knows how long that I have not had worse than a bogey, a big corner turned for me.

Courty
5th May 2007, 05:33 PM
Monthly Medal here as well. I was feeling pretty confident before the round after hitting the ball well yesterday afternoon. But it all came crashing down with a triple on the 1st. :oops: I used all of my shots in the first 5 holes and finished +11 for the 9 even after parring the last 2 holes. :(
The 2nd nine was quite a contrast. I hit the ball beautifully, and should have been even par or better, but the putts just wouldn't drop.

Stats: (Front 9 - Back 9)
FIR: 1/7 - 5/7
GIR: 3/9 - 7/9
Putts: 17 - 18 :evil:

BrisWesty
5th May 2007, 05:53 PM
Nice work Iain

BrisVegas
5th May 2007, 06:26 PM
nice work Iain. I played single stab at Brooky with Jono and golfer69. 83 gross for 31 points with 3 washes.

10 fairways
8 GIR
31 putts

Hit it ok, driver is performing pretty well again. Hit a few stupid pull-hooks when I got lazy. With g69 talking up the shanks, it was hard to concentrate. I managed to not shank any myself, but was more nervous than usual with the 60-100m wedges!

BrisWesty
5th May 2007, 06:39 PM
Am I playing tomorrow? Goodness knows.
My 6:07 playing partner has pulled the pin. That puts me in a group of 1.

I will be at Woodford though.

Fishman Dan
6th May 2007, 09:43 AM
26 points at Brooky.
SHANKS..GONE !

26 points WITHOUT shanks? :shock:

Don't go early or next shank may be even more confidence shattering.

Fishman Dan
6th May 2007, 09:46 AM
Hit the ball supurb all day and it could've been even better. Was only 2 over par through 12 but slipped a bit with 5 over for the last 6 including two 3 putt bogies.

The signs of a smart burglar! ;)

Great shooting. You'll be down to 10 or lower before too long.

markTHEblake
6th May 2007, 02:18 PM
but after a clinic from the doc-vegas combo I am fixed.

clinic or procedure?

mikezone13
6th May 2007, 03:09 PM
The signs of a smart burglar! ;)

Great shooting. You'll be down to 10 or lower before too long.

Cheers Dan, it was disappointing dropping those in the last few holes, will admit I got a bit tight with the two 3 putts and pulled a couple of short ones.

Ecstatic with my ball striking though, that's now 3 comp rounds in a row with at least 9 GIR and an average of 7 GIR and 50% of fairways for my past 10 comp rounds.

Jarro
6th May 2007, 04:23 PM
35 points around Woodford today.

Hit it pretty crappily on the front nine (14 points) but managed to salvage something on the back nine 8)

Not often you get 35 points and finish last in your group :shock:

Eag's
6th May 2007, 06:19 PM
Played Woodford today Single Stab.
Hit the ball well tee to green but could not putt to save my life today #-o

34 Points
11 Greens
10 Fairways
39 Putts 6x3 Putts :smt013 :smt087

AndyP
6th May 2007, 06:32 PM
06/05/07, Woodford GC, Stableford.

7/14 effective T-shots.
10/18 effective approaches. :shock:
1/5 up and down successes.
33 putts.
---------------
2 birdies.
8 pars.
7 bogeys.
1 double.

Score 38-41-79 stab 22-18-40pts (Par 36-36-72 CCR 69)

I'm pretty happy with my form at the moment (Bring on Rusty ;)). I'm just plodding along nicely, hitting enough fairways, although I was a bit off target off the tee today compared to yesterday, but Woodford is very forgiving off the tee. And I've never hit greens so regularly before in my life. In the last two days I've hit one in every two, where I normally struggle to hit one in three.

The putter is doing the job, but I can't help thinking that I'd like to sink more, therefore more birdies. Greedy?

I had a flat patch at the end of the round, where I felt uncomfortable over the ball and I threw a few shots away, because I couldn't scramble to get those two pointers. Seemed like a wasteful finish, but I'll live. The cap could have reduced more, but at least it dropped.

Next round: 7/6, Nambour GC, Stab.

terryand
6th May 2007, 06:46 PM
So AP does this mean I can book my flights in anticipation :razz:

Terry.

AndyP
6th May 2007, 06:57 PM
Check Rusty's golflink record. I don't think he can play to his new handicap. :mrgreen: :lol:

Lock it in, Tezza. ;)

PeteyD
6th May 2007, 07:21 PM
38 Points around woodford today. Could not buy a putt but my chipping and pitching was ok. As AP said, very forgiving off the tee on most holes. 4 Pars, 34 putts :( 6 Fairways and 3 GIR.

markTHEblake
6th May 2007, 07:23 PM
played 1st round of 4BBB stroke gross and net champs, we only had 3 players in our group so i was the 'swinger' - played with both partners, one off 17 and the other off 19 hcaps.

Combined I was on the scorecard 36 times for the gross, and 26 times for the net. Of the other 10 holes i tied my respective partner on 6 of them. Had a 62 and 64 net, the former being 1 shot off 3rd place. Talk about carrying my partners :lol:

had 71 nett 65 myself so either 4-5 below my handicap and safe from the handicapper.....surely he wouldnt?

p.s. from the andyp stats manual 18/18 effective approaches :smt023

BrisVegas
6th May 2007, 08:25 PM
well played mark.

oz
7th May 2007, 06:11 AM
38 points at Thurgoona yesterday. Played solidly on the front, but followed birdies with bogies. Bogied the 9th for a 37 (+1) out. Soft bogey on the par 5 11th, and a stupid double bogey on the 15th (index 1), surrounded by solid pars, made for 39 (+3) in. Greens were still fairly bumpy from the recent coring, which led to a couple of 3 putts. I was pleased with the fairly solid round, considering my lack of play, and total lack of practice, lately.

BrisWesty
7th May 2007, 07:19 AM
Played 36 comp holes for the first time.

Played the last round of the club champs at Caboolture on Sunday morning. Was so far behind the leaders that it didn’t matter. Being the last round, the pin positions were in fairly “interesting” positions, generally close to green edges, bunkers, changes in slopes etc.

Decided to just play steady golf, not trying to hit the ball too hard. It worked! 9 fairways, 6 GIR, 28 putts including a chip in from the fringe. 79 off the stick for 66 net. Missed a couple of 1m side hill putts too, but overall I’m stoked about that round. First time under 80 in a comp at Caboolture.

Finished the round, jumped in the car and drove straight to Woodford.

A-Lo piked on playing match play because of his sore foot, so he took off in the cart with Jono while I played with Cobra and Eags.

First perspectives. It’s very disconcerting hitting reasonably solid drives and still ending up anything up to 70 metres behind both of your playing partners. Just have to play own game. Both Eags and Cobra hit monster drives all the way round Woodford. Awesome to watch. Cobra hits these booming drives with the tiniest draw on them, he must have hit about 12 fairways or in the first cut. Can see why Eags is raptures about the Rapture too.

Not as good as Caboolture but still 37 points, with some pretty good scrambling. 6 fairways, 5 greens, 29 putts, with birdies on 2 and 14. Apparently my chip shot on 2 lipped out for eagle, but I’ll take a tap in birdie any day!

Really happy with the work from the fringes of the greens in both rounds.

Feet started getting a little tired after 34 holes. (Like duh!)

Popped back in on the way back from Woodford to see how the Caboolture round stood up. 2 others also had 66s, so one of us will only be good for a ball in the run down. If I’m going into A-Grade, at least let me win something on the way!

The greens at Woodford – absolutely mint!

I hope Eags gets his putting going. He could be off 5 or 6 if he did.

They christened the 13th hole tiger tee at Caboolture yesterday. They’ve built another tee box further up the hill next to the machinery shed. It’s now a 444m dogleg par 4, making it another 15m longer than the 5 th at Woodford. Means it’s now about 100-120m to get across the creek in front, so that’ll be tough for some of the old codgers who hit low balls and the more erratic high handicappers. The old men’s tees and the green are still in play, but a new ladies’ tee has been built. Realigning the fairway also brings the dam on the left into play. The old fairway is now out of bounds for use as a practice fairway. When the trees mature along the right it’ll be a nightmare for us shorter hitters. I hit driver, 3 wood and just made the front fringe. I’ve got to play it as a short par 5. Heaven help me if they jam the pin at the back of the green!

New handicap drop from 13.0 to 11.8!

Update - won B-Grade

mikezone13
7th May 2007, 07:31 AM
First time under 80 in a comp at Caboolture.

Well done mate, first time under 80 in a comp, (medal day as well) for me at my home track on Saturday, very satisfying.

chappy1970
7th May 2007, 08:26 AM
Monthly Medal on Saturday. 84 G/74 Nett, only plus the CCR was 74 so no damage done.

Was an ordinary start, teeing off in some steady rain (why do we do this.) and went on to double the first. The rain continued for the first 6 holes of the round then cleared off and turned into a nice afternoon.

Was one of those days that was neither great or terrible, I lipped out 3 times and ran the lip 4 times. But thats the way it goes.

I commented in another thread about how good I thought the Bridgestone e6 balls were, I am retracting this statement. I hit 4 short irons into greens (from between 130 and 90 meters) on Saturday, each of them pitched within 4 foot of the hole and just kept on going.

Overall was reasonably happy with the way I hit the ball, but bogies on the last three holes (2 of which are simple pars) I hit the 7th hole par 5 (my 3rd last) in reg and was about 8 foot putting for birdie, proceeded to charge my first putt 9 foot past (yes I know what your all thinking and it is a gift) missed the one coming back and wrote down a 6 which pi$$ed my off no end.

Anyway still improving, just need to get the occasional brain fade out of my game and I reckon I can get down to about 6-7.

BrisWesty
7th May 2007, 09:14 AM
Well done mate, first time under 80 in a comp, (medal day as well) for me at my home track on Saturday, very satisfying.

Mutual back slaps Mike. Well done too.

markTHEblake
7th May 2007, 10:10 AM
too many ozgolfers are firing - this is getting scary.

Grunt
7th May 2007, 10:12 AM
too many ozgolfers are firing - this is getting scary.

Don't worry mark I can drag the averages down. Even better get them to play with me and I will drag their games down too.

mikezone13
7th May 2007, 11:13 AM
Don't worry mark I can drag the averages down. Even better get them to play with me and I will drag their games down too.

And here I was just thinking it was the difficulty of the course at Newcastle and Kooindah that got me... but it was you... ;)

Actually though both those rounds are my worst two results in my past 10-15 rounds, and I played with you and Jono in both of them... it must be Jono though, I at least had a good round when I played at Mac Links in March with you :D

Flowergirl
7th May 2007, 11:34 AM
Went away up to Corowa ( on the Murray) for the weekend for a bit of wine,dine and golf. The wine was fine, the dine was great and the golf was pretty good. Social rounds - first day 38 points - second day 34. Pretty happy how I played.
First round of club champs last Wed. Had to pull out after 8 holes. My dog had gone missing 24 hours before and I had to go look for him. I was pathetic!!! Too upset to play and felt so guilty playing golf instead of looking for my boy. I've had him over 10 years and next to John and Stacey - he's my best mate. Stupid I know - he's only a dog. But I'm happy to say I found him and I don't care that I'm out of the champs for this year. I got my dog back and all is well.:mrgreen: There's always next year.

BrisWesty
7th May 2007, 12:29 PM
Glad you found the dog FG.

Flowergirl
7th May 2007, 12:48 PM
So am I. Thanks Mark.:mrgreen:

oz
7th May 2007, 09:10 PM
Quick update: managed to snare 2 NTP's in Sundays round..... bonus! :D CCR was 38 pts, though, so no handicap joy.

BrisWesty
8th May 2007, 06:27 AM
well done oz.