PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Golf Ball.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 05:18 PM
Yes its time for another one of these threads....well either that or Blakey is going to start one entitled ""Favourite Maxwell Smart episode""....so you pick.;)

I'm currently using or blading,duffing,shanking the Srixon Z-URC.
It's supposed to be Srixon's spinniest pill and I feel like I get a little more distance off the driver with it.Feels soft enough and the spin is decent.
I'm thinking about trying a distance ball,maybe not a Pinnacle rock but something a bit harder than what I'm playing now....any suggestions.
The Top Flite D2 is supposed to be a goer.

markTHEblake
27th April 2007, 05:33 PM
#103 "I shot 86 Today"

3oneday
27th April 2007, 05:52 PM
maybe not a Pinnacle rock you know, you should setup a thread for people to play a comp or serious round with a ball from the different end of the spectrum to what they normally use. Ie I use a TP Red, play a round with a Topflite or Pinnacle rock and post the results....

Just a thought, I haven't used anything other than a HX56, Pro V or TP pill for probably 5 years I reckon....

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 05:54 PM
you know, you should setup a thread for people to play a comp or serious round with a ball from the different end of the spectrum to what they normally use. Ie I use a TP Red, play a round with a Topflite or Pinnacle rock and post the results....

Just a thought, I haven't used anything other than a HX56, Pro V or TP pill for probably 5 years I reckon....

Not a bad idea Pete.

Has anybody tried the Cally HX Hot?....supposed to be LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG

Jarro
27th April 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm using the ProV1 and think it's great.

mikezone13
27th April 2007, 06:05 PM
TP Black, Pro V1X, Utri Tour with the HX56Tour and B330S being trialled.

Big fan of the TP black, but the ProV1X is probably just my favourite ball.

goughy
27th April 2007, 06:07 PM
Been a fan of utri-tours, or the cheaper utri spin. The spin is a great cheap tour which itself is a great cheap proV1. Been trying bridgestone e6 and 35's lately, but only been a hit or two so far. Picked up my 7 pro pin balls today and got a selection of e5 and e6's to try.

I'm after a cheap performance ball, and have generally been happy with bridgestone/precepts for a long time now. Didn't really like the 330's though. Don't know why. Was down at amart the other day and they were dearer than proV1's, which surprised me, as the utri tours were always $10 cheaper or more.

Rusty
27th April 2007, 06:22 PM
FWIW e6's for me. good balance for me of compression and spin.

kpac
27th April 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm a massive fan on Hogan 'tour deep' and 'hawks'

Yes i realise i'm a hacker and the ball would probably make f all difference to my score, but for feel, spin, and general play i havent used a better ball. I like ProV's and HX tours didn't like the utri tours so for acheaper alternative to using pro v's i tried the Hogan 'Hawks' and i have really liked them.
(they are excellent at being hit in the drink too!)

mikezone13
27th April 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm after a cheap performance ball, and have generally been happy with bridgestone/precepts for a long time now. Didn't really like the 330's though. Don't know why. Was down at amart the other day and they were dearer than proV1's, which surprised me, as the utri tours were always $10 cheaper or more.

With the Utri Tour's gone now, the B330s is for sale at $39 per dozen at a lot of places in Sydney.

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm a massive fan on Hogan 'tour deep' and 'hawks'

Yes i realise i'm a hacker and the ball would probably make f all difference to my score, but for feel, spin, and general play i havent used a better ball. I like ProV's and HX tours didn't like the utri tours so for acheaper alternative to using pro v's i tried the Hogan 'Hawks' and i have really liked them.
(they are excellent at being hit in the drink too!)

kpac have you compared these Hogans to any other balls for distance?

Most balls that I've used over the last few years seem to go about the same distance until I tried the Z URC and noticed I was consistently a few metres further down the fairways at Nudgee than usual.
Maybe the Srixon is a good combo of compression and cover softness for my swingspeed.

shazza_rs
27th April 2007, 06:37 PM
With the Utri Tour's gone now, the B330s is for sale at $39 per dozen at a lot of places in Sydney.

Only the old B330s are for sale that cheap. They have a new version of the B330s that have just come out that retail for 79 buckeroos

Jono
27th April 2007, 06:41 PM
Optima TS is pretty good for value. Shot a few good numbers with that pill. 8)

Eag's
27th April 2007, 06:43 PM
I have been using the new Bridgestone E5 ball.
Nice and long of the tee with good stopping power, very hard to scuff up as well ;)

Fishman Dan
27th April 2007, 06:43 PM
The U-Tri Tour's were fantastic. The only issue with them was the amount of skin you could take off if you hit trees and/or cart paths. The Z-URS were great too.

Pro V's are my choice of premium, don't know if i didn't like the HX or if I didn't score well. Either way, I probably won't go back there.

Current ball is the Titleist NXT Tour for $55 per dozen new from the Pro Shop. Trung swore by them, and they are great off the face and appear to spin enough for me.

I've had a stack of club money lately and still do, so I'll probably end up spending it on another dozen balls and trying something else.

mikezone13
27th April 2007, 06:48 PM
Only the old B330s are for sale that cheap. They have a new version of the B330s that have just come out that retail for 79 buckeroos

Nothing wrong with the old B330s (well at least the 2 I've played with), do you know what the differences are?

Wonder if they'll discount the "old" ProV1 and ProV1x... no chance I'd say.

Moe Norman
27th April 2007, 06:49 PM
my preferred ball is the ProV1x

I currently use the Nike One Platinum and basically use whatever decent ball is going cheap - I won't pay more than $50/doz for anything.

The best round I ever shot was with a Srixon Soft Feel

kpac
27th April 2007, 07:02 PM
Distance wise gaz they're going as far as the V1x's i was hitting (mind you i think my new driver has a bit more run than my old one wo the comparisons may have to start fresh)
I visit a bloke every month or so who dives for balls and i've given lots a try, and i guess end of the day it is just personal. To be honest i use a maxfli noodle MOST of the time (i get them for a song: sub $1) and think they are generally a all around decent ball. The hawks set me back $1.5 a-grade and the tour deep's $2 and that is alot better than the a grade pro v's i was picking up. With the amount of golf i'm playing at the moment (3+ rounds a week) and the amount of wayward shots i hit, i'm happy losing the noodles and keeping my cash. However if it is a decent comp/course and i'm taking things at all serious i'd use a Hawk by choice they make my day when i see them drop. :) just my experiences and it's such a subjective decision isn't it.

Eag's
27th April 2007, 07:05 PM
Fish, those NXT Tours are top balls mate, love the soft feel you get of the putter and wedges.

goughy
27th April 2007, 07:17 PM
The best round I ever shot was with a Srixon Soft Feel

Funny enough, so was my best round! Bet mine wasn't as low as yours though!!!!

It's one of the reasons I've thought I should go back to a mid priced ball. Less worried about losing them so it's one thing off my mind. I know you shouldn't think about losing balls, but when you hit them into the trees as often as I do it tends to get on your mind :roll:

connico
27th April 2007, 07:18 PM
NXT tours, when i can get out to play.. :P

rick3003
27th April 2007, 07:25 PM
Keep coming back to the Pro V.

Grunt
27th April 2007, 07:30 PM
Chop and change regularly.
Currently back to the Noodle as I had a dozen sitting in the garage the other day. 1st try with them was Anzac Day with 40 point result, good distance off the tee and not too bad feel off the putter, was a bit less spin than the dearer balls but when you are as inconsistent as me who needs it. Will be a Distance/Semi soft ball player from now on the good balls are out of my league.

BrisWesty
27th April 2007, 08:01 PM
Got a dozen NXT tours for $10 from a guy who used to work at Pac Harbour. He didn't have any more when I used them all up, so he gave me a dozen Pro V's for the same price.
Apart from that, actually really like the Maxfli A10 Tours. Seem to stop nicely around the green.

just
27th April 2007, 08:02 PM
I use Laddie Xtremes.They're cheap and I don't have the talent/skill to use anything more expensive. Having said that I'll use anything I find. Noodles and DT Solo are what I mostly find and they are not too much difference to the Laddie Xtremes. Nike Mojos and SFT2 and Srixon AD333 are all pretty similar as well. Two of my favourites amongst the found balls have been the Precept XP3 and the Callaway HX Pearl and if they weren't so expensive I'd buy them in a shot.

Bruce
27th April 2007, 08:18 PM
I have just 1 new U-Tri Tour left and have tried a few others recently.

Really liked the B-330 I shot my lowest ever round with. Correlation is not necessarily causality though.

Hated the Tour Deep and was indifferent to the Z-URC. Used a voucher to get a few E-5 and E-6s which will be next to get a guernsey. Then maybe the Optima TSs that are piling up at the in-laws as that seems to be the only thing Mirboo give out.

Grunt
27th April 2007, 08:24 PM
Narellan & Penrith Golf Factories still have U-tri tours for $39. Actually have heaps of balls on Sale. Look out for The Golfer paper (NSW Version) for the latest deals. Not sure if it is in the QLD version of it.

shazza_rs
27th April 2007, 08:28 PM
I play the B330 ball.... scuffs up pretty bad though and i don't hit with a lot if any spin.

If i'm feeling cheap then i use the Srixon AD333.... fantastic ball at the right price. Soft off the putter too.

Moe Norman
27th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Grunt,

would you be preapred to grab me a few dozen if i send you down some cash and an express post satchel for you to post them back to me?

bluenose
27th April 2007, 09:39 PM
Currently trying the Pro V1 to see what the hype is about. Was using NXT tours (nicknamed - pro V1 lite) and are great balls see how i go with these Pro V1. Ok for a few rounds so far. Got some of Squizzy (ebay) AAA. Like new.

Previous balls tried and didn't like, Soft Feel, B330s, e5 & e6.

PeteyD
27th April 2007, 10:31 PM
Snake eyes 3 peice I found was a nice ball. Have not found them cheap anywhere though.

I like the way One Platinums putt so am using them at the moment. I doubt that I have enough swing speed to really see any difference in driving etc. I did pick up some of the old model Hx Hots cheap from golf works, not a bad ball. Apparently the new ones are better, and may be the ones you are talking aobut.

McCoy
27th April 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm not a good enough golfer to know why, but I "won" a few Maxfli Noodles and I found I could spin the crap out of them. However they were noticeably short off the tee. This contradicts practically everyone else, because everyone other than me says the Noodle is long off the tee and doesn't spin that much. So now I'm looking for something that has Noodle spin but better distance, Drummond were selling the Maxfli Revolution Tour Spin for half price and I'm giving them a go. Will be in Albury in late May and will check Squizzy's for the BlackMax.

Others: Precept Laddie Extreme - Ball of choice, cheap ($20) and performs well. Long off tee, around green ball seems to stop dead more than spin. Srixon AD333 pretty much the same.
Srixon Z-UR/s - Great ball, long and good around the green. Never lost any other ball as quickly as the Z-UR, probably my fault more than the ball's.
ProV - Great ball, and if I play for the Masters one day I'll use it. Otherwise it's the most overpriced item in golf.

gazgolf1
28th April 2007, 07:41 AM
Think I'm going to pick up some Cally HX Hots for tomorrow just so I can keep up with Jarro. ;)

Jarro
28th April 2007, 08:14 AM
Think I'm going to pick up some Cally HX Hots for tomorrow just so I can keep up with Jarro. ;)

I got nuthin mate, Eags is the man you wanna be chasing ;)

Matt 3 Jab
28th April 2007, 08:55 AM
I play the strata tour ace, i like it because no one else plays them, they have the card suit logo's insted of numbers, and i can get mint balls really cheap, around $1 to $2 each, ive used every ball and i dont see any difference in any of them?? i hink i could play a hot dot and it wouldnt phase me, no idea which balls go longer etc??

Flowergirl
28th April 2007, 09:33 AM
A couple of weeks ago my pro gave me a couple of Pro v's to try. I don't notice any difference off the tee but around the greens I really notice the difference. Don't know if it's just in my head but I really find I can be more agressive at the pin. My problem with my short game has always been that I've been too short - too worried about going too far( stupid!!). So my confidence with my short game has soared. So it's probably 20% ball 80% in my head. So at this stage I'll stick with the pro v's ( just bought a dozen much to John's amazement at the price) until I can get my confidence in my short game and confince myself I can make the shot with any ball.
In pennant I played a few amazing lob shots that stopped right next to the flag. I play that shot all the time in practise but never on the course cos I'm worried I'm going to stuff it up. The pro v has given me the guts to "woman up" and go for it.:wink:

Iain
28th April 2007, 03:04 PM
FG, check out squizzy's, you can get AAA grade Prov's that are as good as new for about $45 a dozen.

My usual ball is the Pro v1x, but this morning I played with a TP Red that went quite well, but didn't hit driver so can't compare distance off driver, but iron distances seem comparable. TP Black is also a good ball.

gazgolf1
28th April 2007, 03:34 PM
Well I picked up a couple of HX Hots today and they sure feel firm,a very different feel off the putter as well.One thing I'm going to have to watch tomorrow when chipping is to make a shorter backswing,these things explode off the clubface even on chip and runs.:shock:

markTHEblake
28th April 2007, 04:05 PM
I use Prov1's. Have tried a couple other balls over the last 5 years or so but i cant tell if they are any different, apart from feel off the clubface.

For now I'll stick with them, they are tried and proven and cheap enough for the 2nd hand ones.

Deano
28th April 2007, 05:56 PM
Anyone tried the Wilson 50 yet?
Getting big wraps on the GEA site.
Deano

jimandr
28th April 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm a UTri Tour fan, and I'll be sad when they eventually disappear altogether.

I used a Callaway Black the other week, and actually got extra distance out of it, so if I ever see them on special I might get some. I normally don't see an increase in distance off the tee with any type of ball. Rocks don't go further for me.

The best round I ever shot was with a Nike Supersoft (or whatever their Noodle equivalent was called 3 years ago).

gazgolf1
29th April 2007, 04:18 PM
Well the rock experiment seemed to work today with a little more distance from the driver and more height on my iron shots,I even hit a few off the putter that looked good in the air. ;)
I used the Cally HX Hot for 12 holes with reasonable success,irons shots released a bit more than normal and I blasted a few putts but I could live with all that.
Eags gave me a new Bridgestone E5 to try and that came out on 13 for my best drive of the day.This ball felt nice straight away,not as rocky as the HX Hot but still long and on the next hole I hit an 8 iron to 10 ft with nice height that sat down pretty quick.Next hole I hit a 3 wood that went further than normal so I think I've found a new ball.
The E5 is supposed to be a high trajectory ball and I reckon they have succeeded.:)

Fishman Dan
29th April 2007, 10:30 PM
Gaz - the thing about Bridgestone (and Precept) balls for me was that they chopped up pretty quickly. Did you scar the ball at all?

markTHEblake
29th April 2007, 11:07 PM
the only scars Gaz makes are the groove marks - he is a flusha

Fishman Dan
29th April 2007, 11:16 PM
Blake - that's a start. Any choppers here that want to report what sort of bruises trees and paths make on them is also helpful.

Jarro
29th April 2007, 11:44 PM
I've used an E5 Dan and they do hold up to the odd encounter with a tree rather nicely ;)

Eag's
30th April 2007, 06:47 AM
Dan, I have been using the E5 for a few rounds now and rate then highly :smt023
The ball can stand up to a fair bit of punishment, I have one that was used for 36 holes but you would swear it has only gone around for 9 :)

BrisVegas
30th April 2007, 08:25 AM
I'm a UTri Tour fan, and I'll be sad when they eventually disappear altogether.

I used a Callaway Black the other week, and actually got extra distance out of it, so if I ever see them on special I might get some. I normally don't see an increase in distance off the tee with any type of ball. Rocks don't go further for me.

I'm the same. I love the U-Tri Tour. I actually like the softer feel better than a Pro V1. I should stock up on them from squizzys. I've been wondering about the E5 as I assumed they were the successor to the UTri-Tour. I've used a couple of dozen Titleist NXT tours and I won't be getting any more of them. They pretty hard (which I can live with), but the cover is so soft it scuffs badly. I'm lucky to get a round out of one.

Eag's
30th April 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm the same. I love the U-Tri Tour. I actually like the softer feel better than a Pro V1. I should stock up on them from squizzys. I've been wondering about the E5 as I assumed they were the successor to the UTri-Tour. I've used a couple of dozen Titleist NXT tours and I won't be getting any more of them. They pretty hard (which I can live with), but the cover is so soft it scuffs badly. I'm lucky to get a round out of one.

Dion, yes they are supposed to be the replacement for the UTri- Tours.
The E5 is firm yet quite responsive, I have picked up half a dozen of the E6 as well but have not put one into play as yet. They are supposed to be a little softer than the E5 so I will let you know how they go ;)

Bruce
30th April 2007, 02:43 PM
Maybe my standards are lower, but I got 2 full rounds out of hte B-330 and regularly get multiple rounds from the old U-tris.

I am not known for my high spin though.

dc68
30th April 2007, 03:11 PM
<---Pro V1-x--->

gazgolf1
30th April 2007, 03:46 PM
Gaz - the thing about Bridgestone (and Precept) balls for me was that they chopped up pretty quickly. Did you scar the ball at all?

Only played the ball for 6 holes Dan but was pretty impressed with the durability and I did see the E5 that Eagsy was using and it was looking good after 36 holes.

gazgolf1
30th April 2007, 03:48 PM
Dion, yes they are supposed to be the replacement for the UTri- Tours.
The E5 is firm yet quite responsive, I have picked up half a dozen of the E6 as well but have not put one into play as yet. They are supposed to be a little softer than the E5 so I will let you know how they go ;)

I think I read somewhere that the E6 is ultra low compression like 55 or something close....you might pancake it against your driver face Eags. ;)

Choppa
30th April 2007, 04:44 PM
Precept Laddie Extreme here. I am so inconsistent in generating spin around the greens, that the Laddie is the most consistent ball for me. ie never spins.

I read somewhere that people off higher handicaps should use a 2 piece ball as it is a little straighter off the tee due to the reduced about of spin. Cut me down if it's crap, but it seems to work for me.

AndyP
30th April 2007, 04:55 PM
Chops, at what point will you think you no longer have a high handicap? 12 is not bad, it's no 11, but still pretty good.

Choppa
30th April 2007, 05:16 PM
Chops, at what point will you think you no longer have a high handicap? 12 is not bad, it's no 11, but still pretty good.

11 is golfing Utopia Andy, I could only dream of getting that low :)

When I am all-round consistent I will consider myself good enough. And that may take a few years!

goughy
30th April 2007, 07:28 PM
I've used various precept and now bridgestone balls for years now. And I'll guarantee that I spend as much time in the trees as anyone on this forum, if not more. And I've found they stand up fine to my punishment.

chappy1970
30th April 2007, 07:35 PM
FWIW,
I have been using mostly Callaway HX Tours and Pro V's recently

But used an E6 yesterday (38 points) and hit the ball well, I didn't putt as well as I would have liked but I didn't disgrace myself either (30 putts).
I am a regular cleaner of the ball and I can say that after
the round and a quick go through the ball washer and the pill could have passed as new.

I'm not opposed to the B-330 or 330s either

Chappy

BrisVegas
30th April 2007, 08:17 PM
11 is golfing Utopia Andy, I could only dream of getting that low :)

When I am all-round consistent I will consider myself good enough. And that may take a few years!

:roll: You're only a few comp rounds away from a single-digit hcap, choppa. :smt023

Toolish
30th April 2007, 08:57 PM
Used to use the U-Ti Spin, then progressed to U-Tri Tour, then B-330s witha few runs at ProV1's in between em all and now onto ProV1's again. I am with FG, can't get anything else to spin like a ProV, and they last bloody well (I use a new ball most rounds anyway, but they last a round out easily).

Might have to look at Squizzy's for some $$ savings.

Flowergirl
30th April 2007, 11:21 PM
Ok - probably a stupid question. :shock: How do you know when your golf ball has had enough? Can you tell by looking? Is it obvious? I used to use a ball till I lost it!!

goughy
1st May 2007, 06:19 AM
That sounds the way for me FG. Unless it is noticeably cut or damaged. But a few bumps and bruises won't deter me from using a ball.

Fishman Dan
1st May 2007, 09:22 AM
Ok - probably a stupid question. :shock: How do you know when your golf ball has had enough? Can you tell by looking? Is it obvious? I used to use a ball till I lost it!!

Not sure - have you tried asking it?

Perhaps it has a habit of finding hazards or bunkers. Generally I can go 2-3 rounds with a particular ball before I declare it a "warm-up net" or provisional pill.

If it's not for the large number of bruises and grazes from around my course, then it's generally discoloured and looking a little worse for wear.

PeteyD
1st May 2007, 09:31 AM
I vote for the use until eaten by water hazard or pumped out of bounds option.

mikezone13
1st May 2007, 09:40 AM

The Taylormade TP, Pro V's and HX balls all get a little discoloured (a slight yellowish/dirty tinge).

More often though my balls either get a few good scuffs from the SM Vokey, a tree or find a water hazard or get lost in the thick rough.

I typically pull out a new ball every round, but for meaningless rounds/provisionals I have a few 1 round balls that make an appearance.

oz
1st May 2007, 11:08 AM
I typically pull out a new ball every round, but for meaningless rounds/provisionals I have a few 1 round balls that make an appearance.

Ditto. My current fave is the B330s, followed by V1x, and Z-URC.

Eag's
3rd May 2007, 02:29 PM
Played a social round today with the Bridgestone E6.
It played a fair bit softer than the E5 and had a bit more stopping power.
Felt great of all clubs but especially with the putter and wedges.

To be honest, it felt very similar to the good old U-Tri Tour :)
Looks like I have found my new ball and only $5 a pop so quite cheap :smt023

goughy
3rd May 2007, 02:31 PM
The best bit is, when you get a ntp or a rundown ball, I find the e5's and e6's are a straight swap. To get something like a proV they want a 2 for 1 swap.

gazgolf1
3rd May 2007, 06:17 PM
Played a social round today with the Bridgestone E6.
It played a fair bit softer than the E5 and had a bit more stopping power.
Felt great of all clubs but especially with the putter and wedges.

To be honest, it felt very similar to the good old U-Tri Tour :)
Looks like I have found my new ball and only $5 a pop so quite cheap :smt023

Sounds good :)
I just picked up 3 dozen E5's and E6's from Squizzy's,hopefully they arrive tomorrow in time for the weekend.

burger
4th May 2007, 11:24 PM
E6 fan here too.

cazandpaul
8th May 2007, 04:47 PM
Been able to try a few different balls lately (at the right price:) ) and for my level of golfing ability, the Bridgestone E6 and the new Srixon Trispeed are the balls of choice.

Used the Trispeed for the past 2 rounds - solid off the tee, good feel around the greens and rolls well:smt023

gazgolf1
9th May 2007, 06:40 PM
Sounds good :)
I just picked up 3 dozen E5's and E6's from Squizzy's,hopefully they arrive tomorrow in time for the weekend.

Balls arrived today all look new or pretty close,ended up costing $80 all up so pretty happy with Squizzy's.

Bruce
9th May 2007, 07:24 PM
Squizzy's email today had new B-330 and B-330S for $36/dozen. He is selling his AAA premiums of these at the same price.

Moe Norman
9th May 2007, 08:14 PM
i just got some B330S off grunt for $39 a dozen.

Walked into Amart today and they were $37 a dozen in Brisbane!

Bruce
9th May 2007, 08:22 PM
Makes me think there is a new version about to arrive or something. That is bargain basement for a premium ball.

mikezone13
9th May 2007, 10:31 PM
Makes me think there is a new version about to arrive or something. That is bargain basement for a premium ball.

There is a new version B330s out already... be careful you're not still paying full price for the old ball.

Jarro
10th May 2007, 05:29 AM
i just got some B330S off grunt for $39 a dozen.

Walked into Amart today and they were $37 a dozen in Brisbane!

:lol: :lol: :smt038 :smt038 nice score Grant ;)

goughy
10th May 2007, 06:44 AM
Something about the bridgestone/precept balls and getting them cheap at Amart. Was the same with the utri's. Although the last time I was at our amart (1 week ago) the b330/330s were dearer than pro v1's.

Moe Norman
10th May 2007, 07:31 AM
Jarro,

got some U-tri tours off him as well - it was a good deal for me and he did me a favour.

BrisVegas
10th May 2007, 07:59 AM
Balls arrived today all look new or pretty close,ended up costing $80 all up so pretty happy with Squizzy's.

Gaz - which is better? E5, E6 or B330s? I see he's got them for $35-36 a dozen. At those price, even I'd spring for new balls! :)

Which one plays most like a ProV1X ?

Courty
10th May 2007, 08:20 AM
I've tried a bunch of alternative pills, but I keep gravitating back to the reliable old ProV1s. Nothing performs as well in all categories.

BrisVegas
10th May 2007, 08:24 AM
Squizzy's has the B330-S Tour for $36 new. Is this the current/latest one mentioned on the site? http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/product/b330s.aspx

Sounds like a good deal to me....

Moe Norman
10th May 2007, 09:05 AM
I've tried a bunch of alternative pills, but I keep gravitating back to the reliable old ProV1s. Nothing performs as well in all categories. There's a category I like to refer to as price, and the ProV1 is not so falsh in this area ;)

Courty
10th May 2007, 09:13 AM
That's what birthday's are for. ;)

Jarro
10th May 2007, 09:18 AM
That's what birthday's are for. ;)

.. and comp winnings ;)

chappy1970
10th May 2007, 10:17 AM
Gaz - which is better? E5, E6 or B330s? I see he's got them for $35-36 a dozen. At those price, even I'd spring for new balls! :)

Which one plays most like a ProV1X ?

BV,
In my experience the B330's are probably the closest to the Pro V from the Bridgestone range. I have played the B330/s before and was very pleased.

I noted earlier in this thread that I really liked the E6, I am retracting this statement after the past weekends Monthly Medal round.

On wet greens soften by overnight rain, I hit 4 approaches into greens from between 120 to 90 meters, each pitched within 4 foot of the hole and just kept going.

When I hit the same shots with either HX, Pro V or B330's they drop and stop.

I can confirm that these shots were coming in high and spinning.

Will probably only use them on really soft and slow greens from this point

BrisVegas
10th May 2007, 10:31 AM
thanks chappy. I'm getting a couple of dozen B330-S. Will post my thoughts after next weekend on the sweet bent greens of Toowoomba.

gazgolf1
10th May 2007, 11:13 AM
thanks chappy. I'm getting a couple of dozen B330-S. Will post my thoughts after next weekend on the sweet bent greens of Toowoomba.

Agree with Chappy Dion,not that I've hit an E6 yet but after a couple of round with the E5 its not in the same class as a V1x.
Not that its a bad ball but they are aimed at different players.
I'll be sticking with the E balls (not sure which one yet) as I'm looking for more height off my irons (E5) and I'm not looking to spin my chips and pitch shots anymore,would rather just roll em.
BTW I never liked the B330-S,scuffs up,does'nt go very far and does'nt spin that much,YMMV.

BrisVegas
10th May 2007, 11:41 AM
thank Gaz. Now I don't know who to believe! You've just described my experience with the NXT Tours! I'm off to amart and will just get a dozen of the "Tour B330-S" to try for myself.

Appleby is using em. they can't be that bad... can they??

Eag's
10th May 2007, 12:02 PM
I have used both the E5 & E6 and thought they were good balls for the price.
The E6 had more stopping power and felt much closer to the Prov1x and the E5
definitely went further but had more roll when pitching and chipping.

mikezone13
10th May 2007, 12:26 PM
e6 is a good ball, only had the one round with it but playign 7 shots udner the handicap on medal day can't be too bad :)

In saying that I've just bought 2 dozen TP Black balls and 1 dozen Z-URS balls. Big fan of the TP black balls and will be trialling the Z-URS.

Have played the B330s and was reasonably impressed but honestly didn't notice much difference between it and the e6, although the e6 was a bti more duarable.

shazza_rs
10th May 2007, 12:32 PM
Squizzy's has the B330-S Tour for $36 new. Is this the current/latest one mentioned on the site? http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/product/b330s.aspx

Sounds like a good deal to me....

No they aren't the same ball vegas. The ones on squizzy's are the superceded model.

BrisVegas
10th May 2007, 12:41 PM
just got a box of b330-s at amart and they look like the current ones per the bridgestone site. $39.99 They have the same pictures on the box as on the web and everything else looks the same. The circular swirl marks on the box look a little different though. Different box in our region? 2006 model? who knows? They're white, round and feel soft and will hopefully last me 18 holes each!

mikezone13
10th May 2007, 12:41 PM
No they aren't the same ball vegas. The ones on squizzy's are the superceded model.

I've looked everywhere but can't find any mention of the differences between the superceded B330s and the new ones.

The boxes look different (the yellowish 'swoosh' is different) but the balls themselves look identical don't they?

peter_rs
10th May 2007, 12:51 PM
Mike I have played both new and old. The new don't mark as much but have more spin.

mikezone13
10th May 2007, 01:02 PM
Mike I have played both new and old. The new don't mark as much but have more spin.

Cheers...

Any visual differences when the balls are new, markings etc to be able to distinguish the difference between new and old?

Flowergirl
18th May 2007, 11:58 PM
Well I just hope that I like playing with Tp Black. I just ordered my new clubs from Edwin Watts (US) and I get four dozen free TP blacks with the order.
Hope I like em.;)

kpac
19th May 2007, 05:44 AM
new favourite - Hogan Apex Tour

so soft :)

mikezone13
19th May 2007, 09:46 AM
Well I just hope that I like playing with Tp Black. I just ordered my new clubs from Edwin Watts (US) and I get four dozen free TP blacks with the order.
Hope I like em.;)

If you don't like them let me know, I love the ball, and would probably take them off your hands. I have 2 doz sitting on my desk at the moment.

gazgolf1
19th May 2007, 12:50 PM
Tried the E6 vs E5 Tuesday arvo for about 15 holes.

Distance. Not much difference between the two overall but I still feel they are both longer by a few metres than the Srixon URC I was previously using.

Feel. Again not much difference,I'll give the nod to the E6 for feeling a little softer off the clubface.They both feel hard after using softer balls for so many years but not rockish like a HX Hot.

Spin. The E5 spins more when trying to hit low checking chips,the E6 will tend to release more.

Control. The performance of the E6 in this area was impressive.I hit a couple of drives where I tried to fade it and I looked up thinking "that is going way right" only to see the ball holding its line,pretty freaky really.
The E5 went noticebly higher off the irons as its designed to do.

Putting. Both balls feel harder than I'm used to and you have to factor that in or you'll be blasting through the break all day.E6 feels slightly softer off the putter face.

So in summary I really like the height that I'm getting off a well struck iron shot with the E5 and the E6 is very straight especially off the driver.
Its not beyond the realms of possibility that I will use the E6 on tight driving holes and the E5 on Par 3's where I need to get the ball in the air and land it soft.

Nice pills Bridgestone.:)

BrisVegas
19th May 2007, 02:12 PM
I played with the Bridgestone B330-S today for the first time. Felt somewhere between the cheaper NXT Tour and the ProV1. It certainly didn't spin back heaps on iron shots and greenside chips seemed to release a bit.

The couple of drives I did hit well, the ball seemed to fly as expected. No nasty surprises and was as long as anything else I've used.

I used two balls today (lost one on the 6th) and the ball that played out the remaining 12 holes looks a bit tatty. Nothing of concern though. I'd get a round of them easy enough, and that's pretty good for a soft ball.

Overall, it's a good ball. I'll keep an eye out for them cheap again.

Courty
19th May 2007, 04:44 PM
Reenie, I'm not sure what ball you normally use, but I suspect that you will find the TP Black too hard. They are the Taylormade equivalent of the ProV1x, which is designed for quite high swing speeds. I tried the TP Black for a while, but prefer the slightly softer feel of the TP Red. I would suggest swapping a sleeve of TP Blacks for TP Reds to see how you like them... or you could sell them to Mikezone. ;)

Flowergirl
21st May 2007, 08:09 AM
Just got a phone call from Edwin ( well maybe not the man himself) to verify the shipping address and I was able to swap the balls from black to red. Thanks for your advice Courty. I really appreciate it.:smt038 I'll buy you a beer or two in September.

mike
26th May 2007, 02:42 PM
Precept D*Feel

Grunt
21st September 2007, 08:46 AM
Going to try out the Top Flite D2's today, Drummond have a deal 2 dozen for $50. Am going to get a dozen each of the Feel & the Straight. Will see how they go.

PeteyD
21st September 2007, 08:53 AM
Gone back to Hx Tour 56. Cheaper than Pro V at the pro shop so I get more balls for the vouchers / swaps.

Webster
21st September 2007, 09:02 AM
Is there much diff between the HX Tour and the HX Tour 56?

dc68
21st September 2007, 09:14 AM
I have found the 56 is softer and scuffs up a lot easier. 56 = Pro v1 HX = Prov1-X.

Dazza
3rd April 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm currently using Maxfli Noodles (Long and Soft)
Am looking to swap onto some Bridgestone E6+'s just to see how they go.

Cheers

Darran

gazgolf1
3rd April 2008, 07:38 PM
Easy Dazza. ;)

Tried the new Callaway Tour i for 18 holes last week and liked its extra spin,combined with a new X-forged lobby running it was out of the question.Basically it stuck on the first or second bounce.
I'm thinkin some of the OEM's are moving back to soft spinny balls like the old balata's.

BrisWesty
10th April 2008, 10:03 AM
Got an e-mail from Drummond's today advising they've got a sale! (Well there's something different!)
TAYLORMADE red golf BALLS, 2 doz for $40, save $39.90 Not sure if you want any more of these FG?

Grunt
10th April 2008, 10:04 AM
Got an e-mail from Drummond's today advising they've got a sale! (Well there's something different!)
TAYLORMADE red golf BALLS, 2 doz for $40, save $39.90 Not sure if you want any more of these FG?
They are the old Reds BW not the TM reds that Flowergirl got with her clubs.

mikezone13
10th April 2008, 12:45 PM
They are the old Reds BW not the TM reds that Flowergirl got with her clubs.

As grunt said this are the rocklike TM Reds, not the TM TP reds, it's a marketing ploy to catch the unaware, probably those that buy presents for us golfers :)

BrisWesty
10th April 2008, 01:03 PM
Bad Drummonds, evil Drummonds!

Well done folks. Sorry about that.

shazza_rs
10th April 2008, 05:21 PM
We were in Golfworks (Drummond) before we went to Tassie. Pete was asking for the best (read cheapest) ball he could get that wasn't a rock to buy for Barny Dunes as he thought he might be losing some. Anyway this chick was serving us and she highly recommended the Taylormade Red balls at 2 dozen for 40 bucks.... anyway i told her that it might be good value but the balls are very harsh off the clubface. She just looked at me to say as if i know what i'm talking about. She then insisted that they are not 'rock' like...

PeteyD
11th April 2008, 02:22 PM
She is a sales person. What do you think she will say? They are bits of concrete painted white (thanks Moe!)?

swanny
11th April 2008, 04:05 PM
OK im sick of hitting it at the pin or around the pin and not being able to stop it what does everyone recommend i want to be able to toss it in and stop the damn thing.

kpac
11th April 2008, 04:07 PM
OK im sick of hitting it at the pin or around the pin and not being able to stop it what does everyone recommend i want to be able to toss it in and stop the damn thing.

any of the high quality balls will do that for you with the correct swing.

swanny
11th April 2008, 04:12 PM
Gee thanks KPAC for your advice i want something a bit soft that will spin. On thursday i hit pitching wedge downwind slightly uphill from about 50 feet landed 10 feet short of the pin and just before the 2 - 3 ft ridge in the green and still finished over the back of the green. i couldnt of hit the shot any better. There are that many balls out there i just thought the forum may be able to give me some advice.

goughy
11th April 2008, 04:13 PM
I'd look at any of the decent mid priced balls (bridgestone e5/e6's for example) up to any high priced ball. If you wanna be a bit easier on yourself, look to the used ball market. You'll probably only pay like $30doz for a top ball in really good condition.

You can't go wrong with trying the old staple the ProV1 (or the ProV1x). Many love the 'x' version, I hate it myself. But whatever floats your boat. I also liked the callaway hx tours.

Bruce
11th April 2008, 04:40 PM
Let me give you a couple to try next time I see you mate.

CobraSS
11th April 2008, 04:48 PM
Gee thanks KPAC for your advice i want something a bit soft that will spin. On thursday i hit pitching wedge downwind slightly uphill from about 50 feet landed 10 feet short of the pin and just before the 2 - 3 ft ridge in the green and still finished over the back of the green. i couldnt of hit the shot any better. There are that many balls out there i just thought the forum may be able to give me some advice.

Your a 21 marker, I'd be suprised if a high spin premium ball would have much, if any benefit to your game, in fact it may well be detrimental to your game. You simply would not consisently hit the ball well enough to benefit from spending money on a premium ball. They are for mid-low single figure handicappers and pro golfers.

I hack around off 9 and mid range Bridgestone E6 or Srixon Trispeed etc, is fine for me, in fact I generally steer well away from the ProV and other balls of that ilk, as they do me more harm than good.

If you want to waste your money on premium balls buy them second hand off someone like squizzy's golf, at $9+ each new you will be wasting your money.

shazza_rs
11th April 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm a 12 marker and use a Titleist NXT Extreme ... good distance and pretty reasonable around the greens. Also durable when going into trees, cartpaths, bunkers and the like. :) And for around 40 bucks a dozen they are in the mid-price range.

kpac
11th April 2008, 04:58 PM
Sorry for the lack of advise swanny - but i meant to say there's plenty of balls out there that will spin enough for you to stop it one a decent green, You just need to put a nice swing on the ball... From what i know spin on the ball depends on swing speed and compression.
NOTE: if you're trying to stop the ball on a rock hard green there inlies the problem.
Try strata tour professionals if you want sh|t loads of grip - not a great ball because one good wedge and the outer layer comes off - but SPIN! <- there you go.

Scottt
11th April 2008, 05:34 PM
Current ball is the Titleist NXT Tour for $55 per dozen new from the Pro Shop. Trung swore by them, and they are great off the face and appear to spin enough for me.

Likewise. I'm half a club longer through my irons with them after switching from the ProV and longer and straighter with the driver as well. The reduced spin means less lateral movement in the air.

My one complaint was greenside spin, but I have played around with a few different shots using my 56* and found they can easily be stopped after one bounce.

They putt nicely as well, off an Odyssey Marxman - where the ProV felt a bit too soft at times.

shazza_rs
11th April 2008, 05:37 PM
I found the NXT Tours scuff up pretty easy. I used one today to see the different between it and the EXTREME.... my extreme lasts longer and its only a little harder. I actually thought i lost some distance with the NXT Tours.

Scottt
11th April 2008, 05:39 PM

Tony Titheridge once told me what I am about to tell you and I told him to go and get f*cked, but he was right, which I eventually admitted to him:

ahem. If you are getting 20+ feet of release on a short iron shot it ain't the ball, it's you.

There are many balls out there, yes. And if you hit them like you hit whatever ball you were using for the above shot I hazard to guess that the result will be the same.

Scottt
11th April 2008, 05:40 PM
I found the NXT Tours scuff up pretty easy. I used one today to see the different between it and the EXTREME.... my extreme lasts longer and its only a little harder. I actually thought i lost some distance with the NXT Tours.

I find it much more durable than ther ProV. Doesn't tear apart when I hit a full shot with the 56* and its Y-cutter grooves and doesn't discolour at all.

Trees seem to do some decent damage, but other than that it seems real good to me. I routinely get 27 holes in comp out of one. No other ball has ever kept me happy for more than 18.

PeteyD
11th April 2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone given the Burner TP a go? Or the new top flite Gamer? Can you get that one here yet?

I still use second hand Pro Vs when my confidence is up. If the swing goes off I usually change to a low compression ball (precept Lady) or whatever low spin rock is in the bag. Spinning into greens requires a receptive green as well. Somewhere (Short Game Bible I think) they talk about needing to leave a pitch mark to get spin on the green.

Courty
11th April 2008, 09:54 PM
Anyone given the Burner TP a go?

I was keen to give them a go, but they got terrible reviews on GolfWRX.com.

Toolish
12th April 2008, 08:02 AM
Tony Titheridge once told me what I am about to tell you and I told him to go and get f*cked, but he was right, which I eventually admitted to him:

ahem. If you are getting 20+ feet of release on a short iron shot it ain't the ball, it's you.

There are many balls out there, yes. And if you hit them like you hit whatever ball you were using for the above shot I hazard to guess that the result will be the same.

That's a massive call. Might want to have a look at the British Open this year and tell the guys to work on their swings. It depends a lot on course condition.

That said, on a standard course that most of us play, you are pretty right.

Deano
12th April 2008, 12:13 PM
"Or the new top flite Gamer? "

I tried these last weekend - if you've been a fan of balls like the Laddie,SoLo,Callaway HX HOT.....etc then you really gotta try these.Higher,longer with some bite.
A number of blokes on the US golf forums reckon these are identical to the new Callaway HX HOT Bite.

gazgolf1
26th April 2008, 08:09 AM
I had a round with the Callaway Tour ix the other day around Nudgee and have come to the conclusion that its longer than the Pro V1 off the driver and the irons.I was consistently 5-10m further down the fairway than usual and the irons seemed to carry a few metres longer than normal.Just browsing the Yank forums the consensus from a lot of ball reviews is the that the Tour ix is loooong.
Compared with the ProV greenside spin was down and my chips and pitches rolled out and released more than I'm used to with the Cally.
Putting was about the same with the Cally being slightly clickier of the face.

Ideally I'd like to stick with the one pill for my one round a week so do I go for more distance with the Callaway or more spin with the Titleist?

Courty
26th April 2008, 08:14 AM
I'd stick with whatever you are more comfortable with when it comes to the greenside 'feel' shots.

BrisVegas
26th April 2008, 09:22 AM
used ProV1's or Precept Laddies.

Jarro
26th April 2008, 09:25 AM
I had a round with the Callaway Tour ix the other day around Nudgee and have come to the conclusion that its longer than the Pro V1 off the driver and the irons.I was consistently 5-10m further down the fairway than usual and the irons seemed to carry a few metres longer than normal.Just browsing the Yank forums the consensus from a lot of ball reviews is the that the Tour ix is loooong.
Compared with the ProV greenside spin was down and my chips and pitches rolled out and released more than I'm used to with the Cally.
Putting was about the same with the Cally being slightly clickier of the face.

Ideally I'd like to stick with the one pill for my one round a week so do I go for more distance with the Callaway or more spin with the Titleist?

What price are we talking about per ball here Gaz ?

I might be keen to try an alternative to the used proV1X's i've been using for ages ... never really considered a Cally ball after i was so disappointed with the HX Tours :(

kpac
26th April 2008, 09:29 AM
i was so disappointed with the HX Tours :(

yeah?? huh i thought they were pretty good just far to $$ to not care about. I cant see how people can buy these new and knock them in the piss all the time, i saw them at $29 a sleeve in a pro shop the other day :shock: &^*king criminal for a ball!

I think i'm going back to the Hawks and Apex Tours.

gazgolf1
26th April 2008, 09:46 AM
What price are we talking about per ball here Gaz ?

I might be keen to try an alternative to the used proV1X's i've been using for ages ... never really considered a Cally ball after i was so disappointed with the HX Tours :(

Not sure what they are going for here and they are just out so we won't get any secondhand for a while but if you wanted to stock up this works out to about $48 Aus per dozen.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-DOZEN-NEW-IN-BOX-CALLAWAY-TOUR-ix-GOLF-BALLS-BALL_W0QQitemZ150239492285QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1516Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I think you'd like em if you like V1x's.....maybe grab one from Downsy for tomorrows round.

TheBoz_fromOz
26th April 2008, 12:33 PM
There are now a few balls that are longer than the current ProV1 with Driver and full
iron shots but the compromise will always be the softness and greenside control of the ProV1.

To make the ProV1 any longer they would have to wind up its compression and harden its mantle
or basically make it the ProVX.

Jarro
26th April 2008, 05:23 PM
I think you'd like em if you like V1x's.....maybe grab one from Downsy for tomorrows round.

Might just do that 8)

gazgolf1
26th April 2008, 05:48 PM
There are now a few balls that are longer than the current ProV1 with Driver and full
iron shots but the compromise will always be the softness and greenside control of the ProV1.

To make the ProV1 any longer they would have to wind up its compression and harden its mantle
or basically make it the ProVX.

To be honest I've never really worried about distance with my driver or irons,my best drives might roll out to 240-250m and I was happy with that but the other day with the new Cally ball I kept finding myself about 10m closer to the greens than usual.....and I liked it. :)

Dazza
1st May 2008, 01:32 PM
Am helping my sister move for the 3rd time in a few months...so she's going to shout me 2 Doz E6+'s as a thank you present!
My better half has just started playing, so she can have the Noodles to try.

Dazza
13th May 2008, 06:28 PM
I haven't had a chance to play a full round yet, but I'm loving these E6+'s on the green.
The best ball I've putted with so far.

Grunt
13th May 2008, 08:52 PM
Thinking of giving them a try soon Dazza, How are they around the rest of the course?

Dazza
13th May 2008, 08:54 PM
Thinking of giving them a try soon Dazza, How are they around the rest of the course?

Haven't had a chance to get out yet Grunt. On Friday I'll have a hit (If work permits) so I'll let you know!

Cheers

burger
14th May 2008, 12:26 PM
Dazza, What have you been playing previous to e6+? e6?
stu.

Dazza
14th May 2008, 12:31 PM
Dazza, What have you been playing previous to e6+? e6?
stu.

Maxfli Noodle Long & Soft. When I was playing juniors, it was whatever was cheap at the time!

Unsure if there's a difference between E6 & E6+, haven't researched it yet.
But there's a few 2nd Hand E6's on Ebay at the moment.

burger
14th May 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Dazza, I am using E6 and there's not much spin happening on anything other than a full 9 or PW for me. The Drummond guy said the new 6+ will spin more around the green. Just not sure if for me it is worth it . . .. . .

Dazza
19th May 2008, 06:54 PM
According to GolfWRX Reviews, the B330-S spins quite well.

I bought some AA E6's from Squizzys last week, can't fault them at all! $14/doz, bloody bargain. Will probably grab a doz B330-S just for shits and giggles. See how the two compare, and they both might end up staying in the bag.

And no, still haven't played a round with them...... This weekend!

Jarro
20th May 2008, 05:37 AM
Cally Tour IX's go alright :)

gazgolf1
20th May 2008, 06:50 AM
Cally Tour IX's go alright :)

Indeed. :)

Webster
20th May 2008, 06:51 AM
I have been impressed with the Taylor Made TP balls (both red and black). Good all round performance and value at $49 a dozen down here.

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 08:09 AM
I have been impressed with the Taylor Made TP balls (both red and black). Good all round performance and value at $49 a dozen down here.

how do they spin compared to Prov's and Provx's?

and no - i'm not taking the piss, i'm interested in finding a ball that spins like a Prov, but isn't a Prov.

Webster
20th May 2008, 08:12 AM
I find them similar in feel and performance to the Bridgestone b330s (maybe a touch softer) and similar to the ProV. Worth a try.

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 08:14 AM
cool - i found a half decent B330s in a batch of range balls last week... i'll give her a whirl :)

Grunt
31st May 2008, 11:21 AM
According to GolfWRX Reviews, the B330-S spins quite well.

I bought some AA E6's from Squizzys last week, can't fault them at all! $14/doz, bloody bargain. Will probably grab a doz B330-S just for shits and giggles. See how the two compare, and they both might end up staying in the bag.

And no, still haven't played a round with them...... This weekend!
How'd they go Dazza?

Dazza
31st May 2008, 12:23 PM
How'd they go Dazza?

A great all-round ball for the price. Gained distance with driver too. Putting was top notch all round.
Just bought another 5 doz from Squizzys! :D

Grunt
9th June 2008, 06:14 PM
Got myself some Taylor Made Burner TP's today. Very happy with the result. Played nice, felt great off the putter and i got a little spin with the shorter iron shots. Ball held up to the rigours of a round with me quite well. I hit a tree very hard on a hole and barely a mark on it. The boys I played with today can back me on that one, I hit that tree ****ing hard.

GOing to keep playing them for some time yet. I may have just found my ball.

PeteyD
9th June 2008, 06:18 PM
Yea The burner TP is the ball I am keen to try. Have t oget through my Blakey Specials first though.

goughy
9th June 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm reconsidering what ball I should be using. Over the last few years I've been using 2nd's of prov1's and utri tours. Or new bridgey e5 or e6's.

The best period of golf I've had was using srixon soft feels and nike spin controls. Maybe I should go back to something similar.

Of course, I was having lessons back then, playing at least once a week and practicing a couple of times as well.

Grunt
9th June 2008, 06:20 PM
Reckon it could knock the NXT tour off the mid handicap guys top ball list. Very impressed, only one hit though.

perci
9th June 2008, 06:52 PM
I still prefer the origanal Prov1s but need to source some more cheap,these new Cally wedges make a meal of them as in they literally chew them!

Courty
9th June 2008, 09:23 PM
Yea The burner TP is the ball I am keen to try.

I was also keen, Petey. But then I read a scathing review in a couple of golf mags. I'll still try them one day, but I'm not in any hurry now.

Grunt
9th June 2008, 09:27 PM
When you say scathing, what was the problem? Seemed ok for my game today, Is it just a mid-high marker ball?

Courty
9th June 2008, 09:29 PM
Can't remember exactly. It was some time ago. I recall something about feeling like a rock yet poor durability.

Grunt
9th June 2008, 09:33 PM
I found them to be on par with any of the other mid range balls today. Felt like an NXT tour, HX Hot only seemed soft around the greens. I was very happy.

PeteyD
10th June 2008, 07:57 AM
I read that it is a lower compression ball, so suits us slow swingers. blokes with 115 mph swings should stick to V1xs etc, that feel like rocks to us ;)

BrisVegas
10th June 2008, 08:23 AM
You all know how "careful" I am with my money when it comes to golf equip.
I have found a mob in melb charging $13 a dozen Noodles. I am going to load up....a decent pill is wasted in front of my clubs. $9 delivery.
Must be the best priced pill on the market.

Anyone want a box ?

does this place sell Laddies too ?

PeteyD
10th June 2008, 07:19 PM
If you guys are quick.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RELEASE-Precept-LADDIE-X-golf-balls-12-dozen_W0QQitemZ180249804914QQihZ008QQcategoryZ630Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dazza
24th June 2008, 08:10 AM
Just received some HX Tour/HX Tour 56 from Rock Bottom, ordered 3 Doz of each.
Only problem... They sent me 1 Doz HX Tour 56 & 5 Doz HX Tour. Box was mixed for some reason, supplier related problem I was told.
So they're shipping me another 36 HX Tour- No charge.
Now thats service!

karldtz
10th July 2008, 04:24 PM
yeah unfortunately my hacking status means my limit is at 30 bucks for a dozen pills - maybe I'd take more time at setup if I knew my balls were worth more.......that didn't really come out right did it??!!

v205
11th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Do you guys bounce the different balls off your wedge and determine if you like the feel?

Grunt
12th July 2008, 06:42 PM
Got my balls from Squizzy's. Got a dozen of each of the following to trial to see what I feel most comfortable with.

Srixon Tri-speed
Nike Super Soft
Bridgestone E6+Will see how they go.

Courty
12th July 2008, 08:01 PM
I had to buy some new balls last weekend, so I bought a mix.

3 x Callaway HX Tour 56
3 x Taylormade TP Black
6 x Titleist ProV1

I've had a crack with at least one of each in the three rounds since I bought them.
The only real noticeable difference to me was that the Taylormade balls are longer off the tee. Unfortunately, none of them have so far lasted long enough to test the durability :oops:, but I hit a cart path with the TM, and a few trees with the Callaway & both of them hardly had a mark on them.

I'll give them a few more rounds, but I'm beginning to think I'll buy some TMs next time .

Dazza
12th July 2008, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately, none of them have so far lasted long enough to test the durability :oops:

You're not the only one with that problem! :smt081

I'm going out tomorrow to give the HX Tour/Tour 56 a run.
Also got some B330-S to try.

markTHEblake
12th July 2008, 09:51 PM
I am a bit sceptical over the HX Tours/56. the guy i get my golf balls from said that they cannot supply these ballls 'as new' because they always have so many scuff marks on them. in other words durability is crap

Has something changed, they got a new cover now?

3oneday
13th July 2008, 01:03 AM
Has something changed, they got a new cover now?
My Pro shop had the new Tour i ball in stock (the i is the replacement for the HX56) so I grabbed a sleeve and used one for the 2nd 9.

I probably didn't clatter it around as many trees on the back nine, but it felt great and didn't mark at all. I think it is actually an improvement on the 56, but I'll give it a couple more rounds firstly 8)

adlo
25th July 2008, 10:33 PM
Got my balls from Squizzy's. Got a dozen of each of the following to trial to see what I feel most comfortable with.
Srixon Tri-speed
Nike Super Soft
Bridgestone E6+Will see how they go.
What is the verdict Grunt?

Grunt
26th July 2008, 04:56 AM
E6+ winning at the moment

adlo
26th July 2008, 06:17 PM
Thought so. It'll win the race.

Eag's
26th July 2008, 06:22 PM
E6 is a top ball, it may not have the spin of the Prov's or other topline balls but love the soft feel off the putter face and when chipping :smt023

markTHEblake
26th July 2008, 06:27 PM
i used one of these E6's today. felt very good.

Grunt
26th July 2008, 06:30 PM
E6 or the new E6+?

adlo
26th July 2008, 06:34 PM
They are both good balls, but the e6+ is better...

Grunt
26th July 2008, 06:36 PM
Am playing the + ball too. Next game will see the Srixon get another run.

markTHEblake
26th July 2008, 06:39 PM
it was the E6+ - sorry didnt know there was a difference.

I dont know what sort of ball its supposed to be though. i just grabbed a handful off the club pro he said they would be ok in the wet. and he was right, they held the fairways quite well.

adlo
26th July 2008, 06:44 PM
Its a 3 piece ball aimed at reducing side spin. Same market as NXT, Trispeed, AD333 etc.

Grunt
1st August 2008, 05:34 PM
After the trial period, I have decided that the Bridgestone E6+ is the ball for me. Anyone like the Nike Soft Feel or Srixon Tri-speed? I have 10 of each that I will not use until the E6+ dry up. Willing to sell cheap will even throw in some other balls to make up the Dozen. Have some other New Balls lying around from ball comps.

oz
1st August 2008, 06:11 PM
I have just switched back to Pro V1's and have about 3/4 dozen left. After those, I will be certain to give the E6+ a try. I have generally always liked Bridgey balls.

geelongwatertanks
5th August 2008, 06:07 AM
Just got a dozen e6+ upon your recommendations .

Golfnut
5th August 2008, 11:00 AM
Started my playing career with Ultra's but I really had no idea about softness/spin etc... then switched to Optimas for a few games and then the green Srixon Soft Feels which i've sworn by up until I had the balls to try a ProV1's....all I can say is I love em. Have got an e6 in the bag that I might give a go this friday, they seem to be popular atm.

Golfnut
20th December 2008, 09:38 PM
Played a couple of rounds with a Nike Platinum one (or is that One Platinum).....

Is this actually possible?....I found my drives had less fade/slice than usual....it also felt very nice off my Sumo's, I wasn't expecting to feel much difference compared to the Z-URS's or the ProV1's but if just felt more solid/full at impact.....I do remember Virge saying something about playing the ball brand that matches the clubs but then again it could just be a case of the old placebo effect. Considering this is the area I need to improve on the most, there's a chance I might be onto something here.
Greenside stuff also felt very nice.....might give a dozen a go next purchase.

Anyone else play these?

Hux
20th December 2008, 10:53 PM
Played a couple of rounds with a Nike Platinum one (or is that One Platinum).....

Is this actually possible?....I found my drives had less fade/slice than usual....it also felt very nice off my Sumo's, I wasn't expecting to feel much difference compared to the Z-URS's or the ProV1's but if just felt more solid/full at impact.....I do remember Virge saying something about playing the ball brand that matches the clubs but then again it could just be a case of the old placebo effect. Considering this is the area I need to improve on the most, there's a chance I might be onto something here.
Greenside stuff also felt very nice.....might give a dozen a go next purchase.

Anyone else play these?

One Platinums are nice. I have been trialling balls and have both One Black and One Plat. the Black is the long distance, the Plat is the high spin ball.
I was using the Black at Glades and went to a Cally Tour i and at one point (last hole). Near on spun me off the green with a 7 iron. I find the Black has probably not enough spin on the greens at Bribie Is, so will try a Plat or Tour i next time I play there.

These new balls are a minefield, but seems if you have really soft greens you can get away with the long distance ball as you get heaps of bite from the green anyway. On harder greens swap over to a high spin ball like the Platinum or ProV1 style.

adlo
21st December 2008, 12:33 AM
I have been giving the TM LDP TP Black's a go. Saw some robot testing they did in the US for a 90mph driver and equivalent SW swing. It was the longest ball tested by 3-4 yards and had good spin (not crazy spin). Rumour had it that is was decent into the wind too.

So far so good. Definitely more distance, quite good short game and a nice feeling golf ball. Not mushy feeling.

mikezone13
21st December 2008, 08:19 AM
I have been giving the TM LDP TP Black's a go. Saw some robot testing they did in the US for a 90mph driver and equivalent SW swing. It was the longest ball tested by 3-4 yards and had good spin (not crazy spin). Rumour had it that is was decent into the wind too.

So far so good. Definitely more distance, quite good short game and a nice feeling golf ball. Not mushy feeling.

As far as balls go the TM TP balls are pretty good.. I'm a big fan of the red LDP and used to use the black non LDP when they first came out.

razaar
21st December 2008, 09:02 AM
My favourite ball is the Prov1; my least favourite golf company is acushnet because they vigorously control the retail price of the ProV balls in Australia. In this context I refuse to play with anything made by acushnet. If more golfers took a similar stance we might see a reduction in price of the ProV, comparable to what US residents pay. Have you ever wondered why there are never any specials on Prov's (even when the seamless ball emerged on the Oz market); I know I have.

sms316
22nd December 2008, 08:50 AM
My favourite ball is the Prov1; my least favourite golf company is acushnet because they vigorously control the retail price of the ProV balls in Australia. In this context I refuse to play with anything made by acushnet. If more golfers took a similar stance we might see a reduction in price of the ProV, comparable to what US residents pay. Have you ever wondered why there are never any specials on Prov's (even when the seamless ball emerged on the Oz market); I know I have.
Acushnet do not control the price of ProV1. The retailers know that it is way out in front at #1 in terms of sales, so why would they discount the price?

Acushnet will not, however, allow advertising prices of their products (including quotes over the phone). If you walk into your pro shop and tell them that you can get a dozen for $75 then I'm sure they would match it.

razaar
22nd December 2008, 09:09 AM
SMS..have a chat to your local Titleist distributor.:)

sms316
22nd December 2008, 09:15 AM
SMS..have a chat to your local Titleist distributor.:)
Umm... I was a local Titleist distributor. At no time was I ever pressured to maintain a price. In fact, whenever our open tournament was on, we used to put ProV1 on sale. We figured we were only taking sales away from the home clubs of those visitors.

BTW - we sold them for $75/doz. Standard price was $89/doz.

razaar
22nd December 2008, 09:44 AM
Well there you go $75.00...if that is not controlling the retail price.....and was this when AUD = 90+cents US. ProV's at that time were selling well under US$40.00 per doz retail in the USA and are still under $40.00 today. Even with shipping and GST we are paying 100% plus more than US golfers.

sms316
22nd December 2008, 09:48 AM
That was in 2006/2007. Cost price at the time was $66.00 including GST.

razaar
22nd December 2008, 09:52 AM
SMS, most of the Qld Acushnet team are members of my club, you will fit in here mate.

Scottt
22nd December 2008, 10:03 AM
Is that your way of admitting you have no idea what you are talking about and got caughT out?

razaar
22nd December 2008, 12:51 PM
That was in 2006/2007. Cost price at the time was $66.00 including GST.
That must have been about the time Acushnet restructured its operations in Australia. Are you still employed within the golf industry?

sms316
22nd December 2008, 12:55 PM
Not any more. After 15 years I had enough of it.

Acushnet took over from International Brands in about 2003.

Scottt
22nd December 2008, 01:09 PM
This is more one-sided than Stuey Griffin giving Brian a flogging when he owed him money. And SMS is on top of it for a change :lol:

razaar
22nd December 2008, 02:54 PM
:lol:

macjackass
23rd December 2008, 12:09 PM
As far as balls go the TM TP balls are pretty good.. I'm a big fan of the red LDP and used to use the black non LDP when they first came out.

Big fan of these too. That said, could happily use these or the pro v1 or the rx 330. For me they are basically identical in performance.

BrisVegas
23rd December 2008, 12:47 PM
any "premium" ball that I find in the trees is my favourite.

TheTrueReview
27th December 2008, 12:20 AM

BV,
In my experience the B330's are probably the closest to the Pro V from the Bridgestone range. I have played the B330/s before and was very pleased.

just got a box of b330-s at amart and they look like the current ones per the bridgestone site. $39.99 They have the same pictures on the box as on the web and everything else looks the same. The circular swirl marks on the box look a little different though. Different box in our region? 2006 model? who knows? They're white, round and feel soft and will hopefully last me 18 holes each!

I've looked everywhere but can't find any mention of the differences between the superceded B330s and the new ones.

The boxes look different (the yellowish 'swoosh' is different) but the balls themselves look identical don't they?

Guys,

I've looked at Squizzy's & pasted the price details of the superseded & current 330s balls.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq233/thenewbrad/BridgestoneBalls.png

I've picked up a few dozen of the superseded 330s at super low mates rates (not from Squizzy's) & am enjoying playing them immensely. Long off the tee & a joy around the greens. I'm a bit dubious about the practical differences between new season balls & old season balls. I suspect sometimes it's more about the packaging than anything else. Some of the guys in the pro-shop at my home course reckon that if there's a practical difference with new season balls (whatever the brand) it's only a couple of metres (big deal). Any other thoughts/experiences about the 330s new/superseded balls??

razaar
27th December 2008, 01:59 AM
Santa left me a doz Bridgestone Tour B330-RX. Sales pitch is "first tour performance ball designed for amateur swing speeds" & "softest multi-layer urethane ball on the market". This could be the one.

Grunt
27th December 2008, 06:58 AM
Santa left me a doz Bridgestone Tour B330-RX. Sales pitch is "first tour performance ball designed for amateur swing speeds" & "softest multi-layer urethane ball on the market". This could be the one.
Razaar

I had some of these when they first were released, great ball just am waiting until they start to hit the 2nd hand market. Too pricey to be paying $60+ a dozen.

dwayne
3rd January 2009, 11:40 PM
ProV's now cheaper in australia than the US. I don't know how they can do it, surely they have to pay the freight to get the balls here. $69 at Drummond and Pacific Golf Club equates to $45.54US and they are $45US at Edwin Watts then you need to pay freight to get them here. I don't think that is price fixing it seems Acushnet is looking after all golfers not just the US players.

razaar
4th January 2009, 09:26 AM
Good on Drummond and good on Bridgestone & Srixon for giving us alternatives to the ProVs. Golf balls are shipped into Australia in containers; the freight component on a doz. balls or a single ball wouldn't be much. When you see a modern golf ball cut in half, it makes you wonder why we pay so much for a disposable item which obviously costs so little to make.

dwayne
4th January 2009, 10:45 AM
at my club the Srixon and Bridgestone alternatives usually finish up in the cheap ball section about three months after they are released as the pro obviously tries to recoup some of the money he has spent on these balls, I am not sure why he keeps trying their new models as they obviously don't sell, he'd be much better off just keeping the Prov's that he sells day in day out, I am sure it is the same everywhere ProV's would outsell all other ball models

virge666
4th January 2009, 12:31 PM

I got a sleeve of these as well !

I couldn't get these to spin ... I played them yesterday and whilst they were fine out of the good lies... the heaviers lies left me wanting some extra grip. BUT - we have 2 couch greens and they spun on those without any problem at all.

Sensational ball flight and the ball has lasted 36 holes without any major marks - Prefer the Nike black or Plats for days with stupidly fast greens.

Pity - I was really looking forward to these.

Eag's
4th January 2009, 10:03 PM
Just bought myself a couple dozen Precept U-Tri Tours, they have been my favorite ball forever but they are getting hard to find.
Might go back and stock up on some more 8-)

AndyP
4th January 2009, 10:18 PM
I've had two rounds in a row with the same ProV1. That can't be a bad thing, but I how will they go if I'm playing bad. I've still got plenty of U-tri Tours left anyway.

PeteyD
4th January 2009, 10:44 PM
Where are you getting the U-Tri Tours? The magic ball that is not being made anymore but apparently is?

AndyP
4th January 2009, 11:03 PM
I've had a bunch of 2nd hand U-tri tours in surplus for 18 to 24 months now. I don't lose that many balls, and I bought a batch of E5/6s as well. I think I must have about 2 dozen left.

Grunt
5th January 2009, 07:40 AM
Where are you getting the U-Tri Tours? The magic ball that is not being made anymore but apparently is?

Have seen them pop up in sales recently, maybe they are in production for Japan. We may be getting leftovers.

mikezone13
5th January 2009, 07:47 AM
Precept Utri Tours for $39 a dozen at Powergolf in Sydney just before Christmas

Dotty
5th January 2009, 08:32 AM
... When you see a modern golf ball cut in half, it makes you wonder why we pay so much for a disposable item which obviously costs so little to make.
A couple of years ago, I read a magazine article on this. Most golf balls that don't meet tolerances, presentation, etc. in the manufacturing cycle, can be pulped, separated and recycled. The materials in the ProV can't be re-used, which combined with the tight tolerances of a thin cover and customer quality expections for a premium priced product, means there is a lot more wastage.

Admittedly, this was the response from an Acushnet manufacturing VP or PR, so take it with a grain of salt.

Eag's
5th January 2009, 02:08 PM

The House of Golf at Virginia Pete, a mate of mine owns the joint so I get a special price ;) He is one of the biggest Bridgestone stockers in Brisbane so he always has them.

oncewasagolfer
5th January 2009, 02:27 PM
The House of Golf at Virginia Pete, a mate of mine owns the joint so I get a special price ;) He is one of the biggest Bridgestone stockers in Brisbane so he always has them.

any chance of an ozgolf group buy eag's?

Eag's
5th January 2009, 02:28 PM
any chance of an ozgolf group buy eag's?

I will have a chat with him and find out.

oncewasagolfer
5th January 2009, 02:38 PM
ok thanks:smt023

jbhayman
5th January 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm on the Juice at the moment !!

JB

jd_FRANK
6th January 2009, 11:55 AM

Looks like the House of Golf has a new online store -

http://houseofgolf.com.au/UTRI-TOUR-3-DOZEN-PRICE

PeteyD
6th January 2009, 07:27 PM
Found one of them B330 - RX balls. Seem to play really similar to an Optima TS +. If you like the RX try the Optima, heaps cheaper!

razaar
6th January 2009, 08:14 PM
Petey, have you been in the cane again? Now that you mention it the RX are lively like the TS but check better than the TS.

virge666
7th January 2009, 09:17 AM
Scratch that - it seems the Bridgestone RX spins fine with the newer wedges.. My old mizuno's just don't seem to do anything on the smaller shots.

But the Titty Vokeys rip them no problem.

mikezone13
7th January 2009, 01:41 PM
Scratch that - it seems the Bridgestone RX spins fine with the newer wedges.. My old mizuno's just don't seem to do anything on the smaller shots.

But the Titty Vokeys rip them no problem.

May I ask who "showed" you that virge? ;)

PeteyD
8th January 2009, 08:28 AM
Petey, have you been in the cane again? Now that you mention it the RX are lively like the TS but check better than the TS.

Th way I am hitting lately short grass is a distant memory. I'd expect the RX to check a bit better than the TS.

BrisVegas
8th January 2009, 09:40 AM
$89 for 3 doz new UTri Tours is a bargain! bookmarked, thanks!

jd_FRANK
8th January 2009, 09:59 AM
No worries...I've mainly been using Callaway HX Tour but the 3 doz of UTri Tours is looking pretty good!

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 10:54 PM
Anyone slicers out there find the ProV1's seem to have more lateral spin than other balls......I've been known to slice with my driver (like 8/10 times especially if I give it the herbs) and although I like the extra distance & feel the ProV1 gives I feel like it makes my slicing worse! Is this possible?
Played a couple of rounds with some different pills eg. Nike One Plat. Srixon Z-UR and even back to a Srixon soft feel and I swear the ProV1's make my slicing worse. (driver only, I don't slice with my irons)

Courty
8th January 2009, 10:57 PM
I reckon the Taylormade TPs (both models) are lower spinning balls off the tee than the ProV range.

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I do remember finding a TP red and using that for a round, my driving was a lot straighter from memory......If I can find some Nike One Plats going cheap (as if) I might give them another go, they had a very similar feel to the ProV1's but my driving went straighter....it also felt a lot nicer off my irons too.

adlo
8th January 2009, 11:12 PM
I thought Nike Ones Plats had higher spin?

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 11:14 PM
Than what? ProV1's?

adlo
8th January 2009, 11:16 PM
Than most other balls in existence

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 11:20 PM
Ah, I don't know.....probably just the placebo effect for me but they felt nicer, I swear ;)

adlo
8th January 2009, 11:21 PM
I may be wrong. I know they have crazy short game spin.

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 11:23 PM
But am I right in my thinking re. the ProV1 making my driver slicing worse? is it because they spin so much (in the short game at least)

Rusty
9th January 2009, 12:15 AM
But am I right in my thinking re. the ProV1 making my driver slicing worse? is it because they spin so much (in the short game at least)

with a driver, yup. use on a launch monitor with driver and another ball to confirm.

razaar
9th January 2009, 06:46 AM

If you are slicing worse its your swing not the ball; the path of your clubhead is at odds with the face at the point of impact. Just a suggestion close the face of your club more at address. The first adjustment is always to the clubface. Once that's down pat, work on the direction of the swing. This little adjustment can take months and won't be successful until you get to fear the left side of the course.

TheTrueReview
9th January 2009, 07:25 AM
If you are slicing worse its your swing not the ball; the path of your clubhead is at odds with the face at the point of impact. Just a suggestion close the face of your club more at address. The first adjustment is always to the clubface. Once that's down pat, work on the direction of the swing. This little adjustment can take months and won't be successful until you get to fear the left side of the course.

Good advice razaar. :smt038

dwayne
9th January 2009, 07:29 AM
a ball like the Pro V1 that provides a lot of spin provides a lot of spin everywhere, ie if it checks well on the green because of the spin created it will also slice more, have you tried the Pro V1X it doesn't spin as much

Golfnut
9th January 2009, 08:44 AM
a ball like the Pro V1 that provides a lot of spin provides a lot of spin everywhere, ie if it checks well on the green because of the spin created it will also slice more, have you tried the Pro V1X it doesn't spin as much

Haven't actually thought of that....obviously the slicing is swing related so this is being worked on too.