PDA

View Full Version : Mickleson Changes swing Coaches

Grunt
25th April 2007, 05:46 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21616402-23213,00.html

Interesting to see him changing now, How long has he got till the next major? British Open? Would a pro be able to make significant changes quickly?

goughy
25th April 2007, 06:43 AM
The us open and players champs are first.

He'll have a bag full of nike's next :)

Jarro
25th April 2007, 06:49 PM
I think he needs a good phsychologist more than a new swing coach :roll:

shazza_rs
25th April 2007, 07:12 PM
I agree jarro... his course management leaves a lot to be desired

perci
25th April 2007, 07:24 PM
Or maybe just a good sports Bra

Moe Norman
25th April 2007, 08:52 PM
i'd have thought that 3 majors in the past 3 years would be a decent enough return.

Jarro
26th April 2007, 12:23 AM
i'd have thought that 3 majors in the past 3 years would be a decent enough return.

.. maybe.

But we tend to focus on the times he's been in the lead or in contention, only to see him fritter it away with some ridiculous shot selection :shock:

Moe Norman
26th April 2007, 07:20 AM
the same aggressive shot selection that got him to the lead in the first place!

Jarro
26th April 2007, 07:24 AM
the same aggressive shot selection that got him to the lead in the first place!

.. so if he can't execute the same shots under pressure, doesn't that mean it's a mental thing .... not a swing issue ??

Ducky
26th April 2007, 08:42 AM
When someone has upwards of thirty professional victories (including three majors), I'm quite confident that they know what is best for their game.

There were similar public concerns when Tiger Woods decided to switch to Hank Haney. Would you be second guessing his decision now? Probably not.

peter_rs
26th April 2007, 08:52 AM
so how many times did he play from the left of 18 in the US open last year then ;)

Its a mental thing because he is to tempted to go for the hero shot instead of taking his medicine (masters this year).... but thats why fans love watching him. the gut, overswing and risk taking makes him more human like John Daly.

Jarro
26th April 2007, 09:02 AM
When someone has upwards of thirty professional victories (including three majors), I'm quite confident that they know what is best for their game.

There were similar public concerns when Tiger Woods decided to switch to Hank Haney. Would you be second guessing his decision now? Probably not.

Mickelson AIN'T Tiger.

Bruce
26th April 2007, 03:34 PM
It may not just be his swing that he is changing.

I heard a rumour that he might not have Bearing Point on his hat much longer.

BrisVegas
26th April 2007, 03:47 PM
It may not just be his swing that he is changing.

I heard a rumour that he might not have Bearing Point on his hat much longer.

so, you're saying he may have "lost direction" ? He's "headless" ? ;)

dc68
26th April 2007, 04:33 PM
O god I hope it ****s him up and he never wins another thing.

oz
26th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Harmon seems to get results. Might not be a bad move for Lefty. I would think anybody that could get him to shorten up that swing a little, and play for some fairways, would see him post some more wins on the tough courses. I am not really a Phil fan, but I do like to see some variety at the top of the leaderboard in Majors, so anything that keeps / makes the top 20 more interesting is fine by me.

Ducky
27th April 2007, 11:31 PM
so how many times did he play from the left of 18 in the US open last year then...

Its a mental thing...
He had to hit driver on the 18th at Winged Foot. His club (and shot) selection was not at fault, it was his inability to execute the shot in a pressure situation. Therefore, him modifying his swing to be more repeatable is a smart choice.

Who knows what Butch Harmon will change with Phil Mickelson, but I imagine (as Oz mentioned previously) that shortening the backswing will be on the cards.

Amateur golfers (who are struggling to break 80 themselves) trying to analyse Phil Mickelson's golf game is the equivalent of someone with a provisional drivers license trying to tell Craig Lowndes how to drive a V8 supercar. Get real.

Mickelson AIN'T Tiger.
Of course he isn't. There is only one Tiger Woods. However, Phil Mickelson has been one of few golfers who were able to compete with him on a regular basis. Everyone carries on like Phil Mickelson has been a failure. The fact of the matter is that he has been a very successful amateur and professional golfer, and is just unfortunate to be overshadowed by potentially the best golfer in history.

Moe Norman
28th April 2007, 09:43 AM
why did he have to hit driver?

he was standing on the tee with a two stroke lead and hadn't hit a fairway all day! If ever there was a time to knock a 3 wood up the middle and play for bogey - this was it.

goughy
28th April 2007, 10:43 AM
Weren't team members in his college days worried about being paired with him because you never knew what he was gonna do?

Out of current players on tour he'd be top 3 on majors and pga tournament wins surely. His technique has worked. While many of us (including me at times) have said he should tone it down, maybe he wouldn't have been in contention as many times without his theatrics.

goughy
28th April 2007, 11:37 AM
This months GD has a page on 'reality bites', new reality tv shows.

"Phil's Anatomy" - Groups of doctors from clinics and hospitals around the country sit at a table every week and discuss ways for Phil Mickelson to put a tee shot in the fairway. Arguments are sometimes heated. GD, May 2007

Iain
28th April 2007, 03:15 PM
Out of current players on tour he'd be top 3 on majors and pga tournament wins surely. His technique has worked. While many of us (including me at times) have said he should tone it down, maybe he wouldn't have been in contention as many times without his theatrics.

But would he of contended in more/different events?? Would it even itself out??

Eag's
28th April 2007, 03:37 PM
Amateur golfers (who are struggling to break 80 themselves) trying to analyse Phil Mickelson's golf game is the equivalent of someone with a provisional drivers license trying to tell Craig Lowndes how to drive a V8 supercar. Get real.

Ducky, your above statement reeks of arrogance, this is a discussion forum where people can voice their thoughts and opinions as they please.
If people stayed out of topics posted on this forum due to their lack of knowledge or expertise, then this place would close up shop overnight.

Iain
28th April 2007, 03:42 PM
Ducky's back!!!

Jarro
28th April 2007, 06:33 PM
Ducky's back!!!

yay :roll:

Ducky
28th April 2007, 07:16 PM
Ducky, your above statement reeks of arrogance, this is a discussion forum where people can voice their thoughts and opinions as they please.
People can have their opinions, but for someone to suggest that they know the reasons for Phil Mickelson's shortcomings (when they have never even met the guy and can only go on what they read and watch on TV) is ridiculous. If you want to get offended by my previous statement, fine, I couldn't care less.

However, I never suggested that I was in a better position to analyse Phil Mickelson's game. The fact of the matter is that none of us here (or maybe there is someone I don't know about) knows what it takes to contend and be successful on the PGA Tour.

why did he have to hit driver?

he was standing on the tee with a two stroke lead and hadn't hit a fairway all day! If ever there was a time to knock a 3 wood up the middle and play for bogey - this was it.
He had a one stroke lead coming to the 18th tee. Why would he want to play for a bogey that would result in a play-off? In hindsight (and in comparison to his double-bogey), I am sure he regrets his decision now.

However, in an interview (I will have to find the source) he stated that any other club apart from driver would have left him with a bad angle into the green. He could not have predicted what happened, so you can't lay the blame on his decision to hit driver.

A lot of people love to focus on the massive push he hit with his driver off the tee, but everyone seems to forget the push he hit into a maple tree with his 3-iron the very next shot. Would taking a different club from the tree have made any difference?

3oneday
14th May 2007, 07:41 AM
Nice instant result coming up ?

I bet Callaway a cringing with every driver he hits though :lol: was he using the square one yesty ? makes you wanna rush out and buy one !!!! NOT...

Jarro
14th May 2007, 08:28 AM
He's been driving the ball extremely well today. I keep waiting for the big flair to the left, so far it hasn't come yet ;)

goughy
14th May 2007, 06:21 PM
Dosen't hurt when your partner drops 5 shots in the last 2 holes, 6 shots over the back nine in total. That cost O'hair a few dollars!

Jarro
15th May 2007, 06:56 AM
That's true Goughy, but Lefty played pretty solid just the same, he didn't have his usual cockups ..... swing looked pretty much the same though :roll: