PDA

View Full Version : Putting

jaster
14th September 2004, 05:46 PM
Seen as though I have all of a sudden lost my ability to putt I would like to know what you guys do to putt well, or what do you think makes you putt better on good days, and worse on bad days?

You want to know what brought this on....my game on the weekend...hit the ball pretty well, I hit 11 fairways, 13 greens and shot an 81.....39 putts :cry:

Onewood
14th September 2004, 05:50 PM
I find if I trust my eye and pick a spot halfway down the line, instead of a couple of inches in front, it has helped :roll: .

Then I cocentrate on getting my right palm through the ball :smt102

Its all in the feel I spose :?

terryand
14th September 2004, 05:52 PM
Your asking all of us hopeless gits :?

Maybe you should have PM'ed the self confessed putter of the forum,Juan Pablo Montoya Wood for advice :wink:

Terry.

Iain
14th September 2004, 06:09 PM
What is the problem? Is it Direction or Distance control?

McMw
14th September 2004, 06:17 PM
I'ver recently changed my pre-shot routine....NO PRACTICE STROKES...

line up to the ball, track a line from hole to ball, address the clubhead behind the ball, couple more looks, then go...

seems to work nicely in the past month... :wink:

drunken
14th September 2004, 06:30 PM
I sorta see a line that ends up fairly close to the hole. I then adjust that based on where my ball is in relation to the line. Address the ball one or occasionally two looks at the cup. Hit the putt... :?

Iain
14th September 2004, 07:09 PM
Don't stand over the ball too long, look at the cup then look at the ball and stroke the putt, don't even think about how hard you have to hit the putt.

jaster
14th September 2004, 07:19 PM

Maybe you should have PM'ed the self confessed putter of the forum,Juan Pablo Montoya Wood for advice :wink:

Terry.

LOL who is that? Blakey?

jaster
14th September 2004, 07:22 PM
I find if I trust my eye and pick a spot halfway down the line, instead of a couple of inches in front, it has helped :roll: .

I am a spot putter, usually look at the apex of the putt and then pick a spot somewhere in the vicinity of the hole and then putt to it....maybe I just had a bad day?

I don't really think about too much when I putt, but notice lately I have been really struggling to get comfortable with my grip...I have been working on getting my bottom hand more square rather than weak on the putter, but then maybe I should just leave it be?

I'm confussed :?:

jaster
14th September 2004, 07:26 PM
What is the problem? Is it Direction or Distance control?

I guess there is nothing particularily wrong, just low confidence :(

jaster
14th September 2004, 07:28 PM
I sorta see a line that ends up fairly close to the hole. I then adjust that based on where my ball is in relation to the line. Address the ball one or occasionally two looks at the cup. Hit the putt... :?

This is my routine, basically the same thing....I think I have been not focussing hard enough though on the line...seem to miss a lot off putts by less than a few inches...either left/right or short :(

terryand
14th September 2004, 07:29 PM

Terry.

LOL who is that? Blakey?

Maybe I should have been more specific..

Self connfessed....From the other putter thread

Juan"Pablo Montoya"Wood

JuanWood

Onewood.......Get it :lol:

Terry.

jaster
14th September 2004, 07:34 PM
Hehe....good one tezza ;)

Just acquired 2 more putters in some skillfull trades...I'll soon find one I like :lol:

I just realised why I ho putters so much...it's like binge eating...makes me feel good about myself due to low confidence :roll:

terryand
14th September 2004, 07:40 PM
Hehe....good one tezza ;)

Just acquired 2 more putters in some skillfull trades...I'll soon find one I like :lol:

I just realised why I ho putters so much...it's like binge eating...makes me feel good about myself due to low confidence :roll:

Yeah and just like binge eating it only makes you feel good for a short time hey.....Just going on the number you have had lately :wink:

Now where are those TIM TAMS.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
14th September 2004, 07:48 PM

I do the same - break the putt into 2 halves and aim for the spot about 1/2 way along the journey. I then concentrate on a smooth stroke, and don't lift my head to see the ball until the stroke is complete - the ball is probably about 3 feet into the trip before i see it.

As for practice strokes? The White Hot #7 i have has a lot of surface area on the bottom, i like to feel it brush the grass. Maybe 1 or 2 half swings before properly lining up. Gets rid of some of the tension in the arms.

Just don't ask me how i putted the day i hurt my back ;)

McMw
14th September 2004, 09:00 PM
wow...no comments abt the no practice stroke routine I use???
what am I doing wrong??? :smt017

Fishman Dan
14th September 2004, 09:04 PM
wow...no comments abt the no practice stroke routine I use???
what am I doing wrong??? :smt017

Mau - after reading your posts for over a year now, you're always doing *something* wrong ;) :lol:

jaster
14th September 2004, 09:20 PM
I'ver recently changed my pre-shot routine....NO PRACTICE STROKES...

line up to the ball, track a line from hole to ball, address the clubhead behind the ball, couple more looks, then go...

seems to work nicely in the past month... :wink:

Sorry mate, forgot to reply :oops: When I am practicing I use a similar routine but find I do not get settled enough...I guess though the most important thing is to stay consistent!!

AndyP
15th September 2004, 10:30 AM
I mark lines on my ball, and ensure that I am confident that I have lined it up for the direction I want to hit, before stepping up to the ball. I then setup based on that direction, so while I am putting I only concern myself with distance. I usually focus on a spot which is in front of the hole for downhill or behind the hole for uphill, and try to hit to this spot.

I've got no idea what the difference is between my good putting days and my bad. :?

BrisVegas
15th September 2004, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear you are struggling Jaster. Not sure I can help much, as I suck more than most on the greens... However, you could try reading one of Dr Bob Rotella's books.

I read one ages ago, think it was called, "Golf is not a game of perfect" and putted like a demon for a while afterwards. One of the things that came out of that book was that your body is capable of doing amazing things when you focus on a specific target. Most people with a reasonable amount of hand-eye coordination can throw a ball into a bin or whatever. The same thing applies to putting apparently, we just have to teach ourselves to focus on the smallest target possible and trust that we'll hit it. He said something like don't just look at the hole in general. Pick out a paint chip or a blade of grass on the lip and aim for that. You can even do it without even looking at the ball as you swing the putter. Keep your eyes trained on the target and see what happens.

The trouble with many people's putting is that they look at the hole and then look away and focus on their feet, ball position, putter head, takeaway, length of stroke etc and by the time they actually make contact with the ball have totally forgotten what the hole looked like. Most people need to pull the trigger a lot quicker.

Try it for yourself... stare at the hole then close your eyes. The image will stay "burned" on your retinas for around 1.5 seconds... The best putters pull the trigger whilst they can still see that image in their minds. ie. they pull the trigger pretty quickly once they have set themselves. Take a look at Aaron Baddely and John Daly for instance.

A pro once told me that last time Greg Norman lost the Masters (to Faldo?) his time over the ball increased from 10-12 seconds in the first 3 rounds (in which he established his lead) to over 30 seconds in the final round (where he shot a million and lost). Maybe there's something in it.... :wink:

amanda
15th September 2004, 12:20 PM
Or try Dr Rotella's book on putting - an excellent read - I can lend it to you if you want.

Iain
15th September 2004, 04:27 PM
I think Jaster has read Rotella's book's, (the putting one is Putting out of your mind)?? If not I can bring it on sunday?

Jaster,

You know the concept that Rotella teaches (As I'm sure you've read it), you just have to trust it and keep doing it.

My mate from work borrowed it also and commented that it make's alot of sense, but he still doesn't do it, he stands over the ball too long...

Once you do it for a while (Look at the hole and then stroke the putt as soon as you've look back at the ball), you will get more confident and it won't be as hard.

Iain

McMw
15th September 2004, 04:39 PM
taking too long over the ball not only confuses you more - it pisses off the ppl waiting on the fairway too...

goughy
15th September 2004, 04:50 PM
Jaster's a big rotella man. I've had one of his books on 'perminant' loan for a while now.

He's also got a book out about raising your kids. I'm keen to have a look at it too.

AndyP
16th September 2004, 08:27 AM
He's also got a book out about raising your kids. I'm keen to have a look at it too.
So you shouldn't spend too much time on your kids either?

Iain, bring the book anyway. If Jaster has already read it, I wouldn't mind having a squizz. :cool:
:?: Do you putt using Rotella's philosophy?

Iain
16th September 2004, 10:50 AM
Iain, bring the book anyway. If Jaster has already read it, I wouldn't mind having a squizz. :cool:
:?: Do you putt using Rotella's philosophy?
No Problems Andy, I have to grab it off my mate, as he has had it for a while, but can bring it Sunday.

Yes I try to, more so on longer putt's, as I find it easier to do, just look at the hole look back at the ball and stroke the putt (That sort of pace too). I haven't made any huge putts, but quite a few times I have been within a couple of inches, and I can feel it is a better way to putt than conciously thinking about it.

Iain

jaster
16th September 2004, 01:30 PM
Hey everyone thanks heaps for the suggestions, I have read, own and absorbed all of Rotellas books...might have to take another look :oops:

Played today in a 4 man ambrose, we shot 9 under and I sunk 2 clutch birdie putts of around 15ft of more so I am happy...now all I need are my new putters to arrive and I'll be laughing :roll: :lol: