PDA

View Full Version : My Golf Lesson

Golfgirl
7th May 2004, 06:57 PM
You know how people say that husbands should not teach their wives to drive cars.... well, I think it is safe to say that perhaps husbands should also not teach their wives to play golf, even if they happen to be a golf professional. :shock:

The pros here have recently decided to "swap" the wives around for lessons, so that they are not teaching their own spouse. So today I had my first lesson from a professional other than my husband. :shock:

Simply brilliant!!! :D

It was only about 40mins, and in that time I only hit about 20-25 balls, but the turn around in my form has to be seen to be believed. :shock: After watching me hit a couple of shots, Shaun explained to me what I was doing wrong, then showed my how to adjust it, then had me just take practice swings for a while till I got the right action. I then hit about 15 balls to the 5th green from about 130m out. I caught 3 thin, which ended up short - but the other twelve were all on the green and I nearly holed one of them! (Using a rescue club - not an iron... :shock: )

We then played the 2nd hole and I hit two tee shots - one ordinary and one really good... we drove down the fairway and there was a ball sitting near the 150m pegs, so I figured that was the good drive I hit as that is where I normally drive to. We went looking for the other ball, and we found it sitting 50m further down the fairway.... Yep! the first ball we found was my bad drive - my good drive was 200m long! :shock: I hit 7 iron to 7 feet, then two putted for par on a hole where I get two shots!!!

It was truly awesome - I felt like a scratch player.... :D

I raced in to tell hubby - I don't think his nose is too much out of joint, after all, he is a bloody good teacher himself, but I actually think he is happy to be passing me along to someone else.... :? (I'm not sure how I feel about that?? :? :shock: )

So I have a new coach, and a consistent draw instead of a block/slice.
Pretty good day actually! :D

BrisVegas
7th May 2004, 07:25 PM
That's so funny! Congrat's on the change in form by the way. Hope it sticks! :) :)

I'd been giving my missus a few tips on the basics of address, grip, posture etc etc. None of it sank in until she heard it from someone else.... :roll: :roll: ](*,) Admittedly, the other person was a pro. But I swear I was saying EXACTLY the same stuff.... :smt115

Golfgirl
7th May 2004, 07:33 PM
Don't worry BrisVegas - I'm sure that you were saying exactly the same thing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tonight I explained to Matt exactly what Shaun and I had worked on, and he said "But I've been telling you to do that for ages!" and then shook his head in dismay... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know - didn't feel like criticism coming from Shaun... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
7th May 2004, 08:59 PM
I want phone numbers, asap!

I'm sick, and disillusioned. Went to the range tonight to hit 5-iron, and hooked the teeth out of each and every one. Same said for 6- and 7-iron. I'm a broken man, how can my handicap go down, but my swing get worse?

I hit driver ok, but the irons are woeful. Ross at Golf Club Innovations told me very simply what i'm doing wrong, but be stuffed if i know how to correct it.

Help.

terryand
7th May 2004, 10:14 PM
Ask ross when gary will be down next and if you ask him really nicely he might have a look at you in the net.

I'm lucky he teaches at the range that is a minute from my place.I don't know if that what he wants to do on his weeks down there,but its worth to ask.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
7th May 2004, 10:30 PM
Apparently he gets a lot of requests, but it didn't sound as though he's mad keen to get into much coaching down here. There's a bloke i've heard good things about at Ryde-Parramatta who i am keen to visit.

Courty
8th May 2004, 08:03 AM
I hit driver ok, but the irons are woeful. Ross at Golf Club Innovations told me very simply what i'm doing wrong, but be stuffed if i know how to correct it.

Help.

Tell us what the problem is. Maybe the collective wisdom of the Ozgolf members can give you a simple fix...

:-k

Golfgirl
8th May 2004, 02:44 PM
Fishman Dan,

If you want to make the trip down here to Shellharbour, then I can recommend either of the pros, although (I may get divorced for this :shock: ) Shaun has more teaching experience than Matt..... (Don't you dare say that I said that!!! :evil: )

Shaun is the coach of ladies Australian Amatuer Champion, Katy Jarochowicz, as well as a number of state level players, both guys and gals.

Do you want me to PM the no. to you??

Oooops! :oops: :oops: Does this count as advertising - have I broken a forum rule?

clikchic
8th May 2004, 03:32 PM
You're just on the verge of being booted golfgirl, but we'll let it slide this time :smt018

Golfgirl
8th May 2004, 03:39 PM
Please don't boot me, [-o< , I'll be good, O:) !

Don't send me back to that place.... :smt022

I love it here, with all of you.... :smt057

Iain
9th May 2004, 11:57 AM
Phew.... That was close Golfgirl.... :smt059

jaster
9th May 2004, 01:51 PM
Man that is funny Golfgirl :) Great thread :lol:

Jono
9th May 2004, 04:42 PM
Apparently he gets a lot of requests, but it didn't sound as though he's mad keen to get into much coaching down here. There's a bloke i've heard good things about at Ryde-Parramatta who i am keen to visit.

Dan,

My dad's a member at Ryde-Parra, and he had a "playing lesson" with one of the trainee pros there. The improvement was quite impressive. He is a chronic slicer and he started hitting nice draws. Perhaps the pro can work similar wonders for hookers as well?

Good luck.

AndyP
9th May 2004, 06:00 PM
Congrats on the breakthrough, GG. Hope it converts to some good scores. :)

Golfgirl
11th May 2004, 09:43 AM

Thanks Andy, but you'd better read the "hows my form" thread to see what a fiasco my pennant match was.... :oops: ](*,) :lol: :lol:

AndyP
11th May 2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks Andy, but you'd better read the "hows my form" thread to see what a fiasco my pennant match was.... :oops: ](*,) :lol: :lol:

Be patient, it will all click. 8)