they arent half bad aLo :D

gazgolf1
14th September 2004, 05:33 PM
Nice choice Andylo 8)

Very underated set of irons IMHO.

How much did you pay?

andylo
15th September 2004, 07:48 AM
Here we go, the full review of the GT Ultimate - TT Lite R flex - Standard length and lie angle

After doing all the cooking, organising things, blah blah blah, I finally able to drive 150KM/hr avg to driving range at about 8pm (in my gf's brother's sportivo Corolla :lol: )

Look:
During address the top line is obviously thinner than the whatever I was using. Very simular to MX20's top line. I love the look of the iron head, the cavity back is matt silver and the club face is chromed. Very lovely to look at.

Grip:
The grip come with the club must be for girls... it's so small. THe grip quality is very high thu, even it's just a rubber grip.

Forgiveness:
It's not Big Bertha forgiving but very close to it. I don't try my "intention toe/heel" hit this time because the club face is chromed and I love it so much and don't want to damage it yet. But the a-little-off-center-hit-in-my-standard is forgiving enough. The set has very minimal offset.... compare to my beginning set which has HUGH offset. I can't square the club quick enough until I got used to it. :oops: By the way, the long irons are extremely easy to hit and I kinda regreted I bought those PowerPlay Select 5000. But for now I will use the 5000s (3&4 irons replacement) until I get hold of it.

Mind you that the sole of the club is not as wild as the beginning club, I guess in the real thing I will hit quite a few fat shot before I can sweep it like a dream. :lol:

Feel:
Very close to forged iron feel, even it's a cast actually. It feel so soft if strike into the sweetspot, if it's a bit off center, it feel like I hit the sweetspot with my pervious set. But afterall cast is a cast so there're still some hints from the feedback let you know you are hitting a set of cast iron. One important thing is: It feel lighter than other GT seriers. Maybe due to smaller head + TT Lite shaft. But I love the weight and the feel of it. Also the off center hit will not punish my left arm and shoulder with a harsh impact, maybe I can stay in driving range a little longer from now on. :)

Distance:
If you look at the spec the GT Ultimate loft is about 1 degree or more lower than other GT series. i.e. 7 iron in Ultimate is 33° compare to Performance's 34° and Tour's 36°. Maybe I didn't hit it quite well yet, or because the lie angle is not right, but I don't hit it any farther than my current set or other GT series I had tried. I hit 6 - 9 iron about the same distance as my pervious set, the PW a tick farther due to the loft is 45°, and I actually lost distance on 3 - 5 iron.

But come to think of it, my pervious set has 1" longer shaft, it's also heavier (so generate more velocity to hit the ball?) but the shaft come with the Ultimate is not half decent anyway. Maybe put a set of Steel Technology or DGR or Rifle will imporve the distance.

Conclusion
Man I love this set of iron. I think the lie angle really need to be adjust, not sure if I can use standard length shaft but a shaft change is in my next to do list. Also need to spend a bit more time to find the rythme to sqaure the face because no more offset. (I HATE OFFSET :evil: ) But before the OZG champ I will live with it. I finally got a very decent set of iron that I can proud of to be a HO :shock: but with exception well quality and look and feel of the iron I can't blame on my iron set anymore if I shoot another round of 110s :oops: Maybe it's about time to spend of lessons

p.s. I will sleep with them for now :lol:

amanda
15th September 2004, 08:03 AM
Great review Andy!

maybe I can stay in driving range a little longer from now on
So you'll be staying overnight then :wink:

andylo
15th September 2004, 08:21 AM
In HK driving range operated till 1am everynight.

People here just slacky :lol:

Kee
15th September 2004, 08:24 AM
Nice review Andy. They are a nice set of irons. I orginally bought these untried as a cheap set to get be going again until I could get a better set next year, but after playing with these, I will use them for a lot longer. When hit in the sweet spot, it has a great feeling and response.

Now time to break the magical 100 mark Andy.

macleod
15th September 2004, 06:12 PM
In HK driving range operated till 1am everynight.

People here just slacky :lol:

i loved that range in HK, 3 levels of very expensive equipment using range junkies. Our flight wasn't until after midnight so i wandered over there before getting the train out to the airport.

still amazing to think how much the land it's sitting on is worth right next to kowloon like that.

got some pics whilst bored and nicked a range ball as a momento:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/scottliddle/cityrange.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/scottliddle/range2.jpg

jaster
15th September 2004, 07:39 PM
Look at those balls :shock: I wonder if anyone can hit it over the back net?? :P

Iain
15th September 2004, 07:41 PM
Look at those balls :shock: I wonder if anyone can hit it over the back net?? :P
I would hope not, that would cause quite a bit of damage..... :oops:

Choppa
15th September 2004, 08:40 PM
That's an amazing looking range :shock:

terryand
15th September 2004, 08:57 PM
Mac, did you happen to see the price of a bucket there.

Terry.

macleod
16th September 2004, 08:01 AM
unfortunately didn't see prices, was odd that i could just wander up 3 flights and take snaps.

spare balls everywhere in driving bays, nary a barrier to access in sight.

i love the fact they call it a golf club there :D

i was crossing the road near the restaurant they have there and found a ball in the gutter, must've been some hit to send it backwards :)

990B Luva
21st September 2004, 02:07 PM
we could send you over and see (im not paying BTW)

Fishman Dan
21st September 2004, 02:45 PM
(im not paying BTW)

Hmmm, i've heard that before somewhere...... :-k

Iain
21st September 2004, 03:37 PM
(im not paying BTW)

Thats Gold Fishy..... =D> =D> :smt043 :smt044 :smt044 :smt043

Jono
21st September 2004, 07:40 PM

I don't know about the back net, but I could give the SIDE net a good workout with my high (read "gay") fades ... :lol: FORE RIGHT! :shock:

990B Luva
22nd September 2004, 09:24 AM
(im not paying BTW)

HEY i said I AM paying BTW to jarro, and i did :smt081

terryand
22nd September 2004, 11:05 AM
(im not paying BTW)

HEY i said I AM paying BTW to jarro, and i did :smt081

Yeah....Just not this month,or the next,or one after that...maybe the one after that :smt012 :smt043 :smt044 :smt042 :smt080 :smt079

Terry.

990B Luva
22nd September 2004, 11:10 AM
but i still paid him

drunken
22nd September 2004, 11:17 AM
but i still paid him

lol absolute classic :lol: