PDA

View Full Version : Macquarie Driving Range (Sun, 19/9) - Swing speed analysis

Jono
14th September 2004, 07:11 AM
Rob and I are going to meet at the Macquarie Uni driving range on Sunday 19/9 after lunch. I'm going to bring a swing speed meter along. It's a portable one with two infrared censors. It's no state of the art launch monitor, but it measures the clubhead speed and tempo pretty accurately. It's much more accurate than the radar devices.

If anyone else wants to come along, please feel free. If you have any gear you want to sell/swap, this may be a good opportunity. It's worthwhile coming along just to see Rob hit 300 meter drives. :wink:

Fishman Dan
14th September 2004, 07:54 AM
Sounds good Jono, i'll try and make it along. Could be swinging a club by then so perhaps a good idea to have a few leisurely hits at the range to see how i pull up.

What i probably don't need is to try and break swing-speed records in my comeback event ;)

amanda
14th September 2004, 08:11 AM
Damn - monthly medal for me - sorry I can't be there - I would love to see 300m drives!

burger
14th September 2004, 09:15 AM
Hang on the back fence isnt that far away . . . . :shock:

Damn the social & gardening calendar is booked up for Sunday :(

Can we do this on a semi regular basis, with maybe some swing tips for us mugs ???

stu

Jono
14th September 2004, 10:09 AM
Hang on the back fence isnt that far away . . . . :shock:

Rob said he has hit the building behind the range when the wind was helping ... :shock: :shock:

Can we do this on a semi regular basis, with maybe some swing tips for us mugs ???

I can't see why not. We could have bimonthly Ozgolf range day. Why not make it a social event with some wine and cheese on the side? :wink:

Let's see how this one goes. I've decided to visit the range once a week from now on, so I'm pretty keen.

burger
14th September 2004, 10:14 AM
That'd be cool, I know my game could do with the practise
and a leave pass to go to the range is easier to negotiate than a golf day! :wink:

Jarro
14th September 2004, 11:26 AM
.. hey, you guys are starting to get the picture 8)

BrisVegas
14th September 2004, 12:28 PM
Man, where were you guys last year.... I was living a few blocks away from that range in Marsfield up til June... doh! :(

I used to go down there on weekends and after work all the time. I only ever managed to get a ball over the fence down the right side. Which building was hit?? The gym at the uni??

Ducky
14th September 2004, 12:56 PM
Is this near North Ryde or am I thinking of somewhere completely different?

:?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

burger
14th September 2004, 01:51 PM
Ben,

Sort of near Nth Ryde,
Just round the back of the Uni
not too far from Macquarie Centre shops and
'The Ranch' formerly known as 'El Rancho'
Hope that helps :?
stu

Speirsy11
14th September 2004, 02:57 PM
Man, where were you guys last year.... I was living a few blocks away from that range in Marsfield up til June... doh! :(

I used to go down there on weekends and after work all the time. I only ever managed to get a ball over the fence down the right side. Which building was hit?? The gym at the uni??

No way can I hook it far enough to hit the Gym......

I hit the calssrooms straight ahead across the little creek.....its only about 280m downhill to them and if the wind is helping, its not that hard to do.....I've since stopped doing it before 6pm, cause I've heard there is a day care in there and I'd hate to hit a little kid :lol:

I'm happy to make this a bi-weekly or monthly event, since I live all of 5ooyds away.....

See you guys there on Sunday......

Speirsy

Jono
15th September 2004, 03:12 AM
I'm happy to make this a bi-weekly or monthly event, since I live all of 5ooyds away.....
Speirsy

That's a drive and a 9 iron for you, right? :wink:

Monthly sounds good. It can be a good motivation to improve one's ball striking abilities. I might bring a digital camcorder if anyone wants to track their swing on video. It's got high shutter speed, so the quality should be pretty good.

Jono
18th September 2004, 03:41 PM
For those who can make it, Rob and I are going to meet up at the range around 2pm. I'll have my SMT cap on and I have a Maxfli Revolution carry bag. Or just look for the short Asian dude ... :lol:

amanda
20th September 2004, 08:17 AM
So guys - how was it?

Jono
20th September 2004, 08:10 PM
So guys - how was it?

You mean, you actually want a review of a range session? :lol:

We were hitting into the wind. Headwind seems to magnify your faults, so it's good for practice, I guess. My tendency is to hit high balloon shots with a push/fade. Loses a lot of distance into the wind. I am currently working on bringing the trajectory down.

Rob was hitting nice draws with highish trajectory, but not ballooning. I tried his 9 iron and it felt very solid. The shaft in his driver (R7) was a bit too stiff for my swing. His other driver (Nakashima) was better suited for me. The shorter length (44.25") made it easier to draw the ball ... I may cut down my own driver to the same length.

Rob had a go of my Spectrum, and although the shaft was a bit soft for him, he hit some nice shots with it. My Ashton fairway woods with regular flex Nippon shafts were just way too whippy for him. They looked like noodles in his hands ... :shock:

With my driver, I was swinging around 100-102 mph. Rob was around 115 mph. I think he could have got upto 120 if he really tried ... his 115 mph swing looked pretty comfortable.

At this stage, we are planning a return visit to the range this coming Sunday. Anyone else keen?

BrisVegas
20th September 2004, 08:23 PM
Wow! You are an animal Rob! :P 115mph swing speed, doing it comfortably. Dang! That's pretty much up there with the PGA tour pro's. 8) 8)

What's your normal carry and total distance with driver ??

amanda
21st September 2004, 07:55 AM
At this stage, we are planning a return visit to the range this coming Sunday. Anyone else keen?

Maybe - we are playing in the morning (8.06am) - I'm not sure how tired Brad will feel.

What flex are the Nippon steel shafts in your fairway woods? I have the NS Pro GT700s R flex in mine and they play more like an A flex - but they load a lot better than my old A flex shaft (Accuflex vizion). When Brad swings my f/w woods, they also look like Noodles

Jono
21st September 2004, 07:33 PM
Maybe - we are playing in the morning (8.06am) - I'm not sure how tired Brad will feel.

If he is too tired to come to the range after a morning round ... perhaps you can give him some of your weight gain protein powder ... :wink:

I just realised that I'm playing in a father and son foursomes match that morning. That's not gonna stop me going to the range ... We'll have to make it around 3pm. See how you and Brad go. I'm going to bring the Swing Speed meter again, and I'd be interested to see how fast Brad swings. He was getting a few out there when I played with him at the Camden Lakeside. I'm guessing around 105-110 mph ...

What flex are the Nippon steel shafts in your fairway woods?

Regular. They play softer than the Dynamic R300's. They go OK for me, but Rob was hitting duck hooks and I could see how much the shaft was flexing. It just goes to show you how important it is to get the shaft that is right for your swing.

amanda
22nd September 2004, 08:01 AM
John - just spoke to Brad and we are there! I'll make sure he keeps his energy up :)

I would love to try out your Ashtons to compare them to mine.

Jono
22nd September 2004, 12:39 PM
John - just spoke to Brad and we are there! I'll make sure he keeps his energy up :)

I would love to try out your Ashtons to compare them to mine.

Excellent! Hmm ... we might even give this Sunday arvo range session a name. "Ozgolf Sydney Academy"? "Sunday Arvo Demo & Swap"? :wink:

I'll bring all my Ashtons. The driver shaft might be a bit too stiff for your swing, but the Nippons in the fairway woods should be OK.

amanda
22nd September 2004, 12:41 PM
we might even give this Sunday arvo range session a name. "Ozgolf Sydney Academy"? "Sunday Arvo Demo & Swap"? :wink:
Hackers Anonymous :wink: (ok - so maybe that's just me!)