PDA

View Full Version : Trial lock down of 'cut the crap, what did you shoot' thread

goughy
12th September 2004, 07:47 PM
We want to give this 'What did you shoot this week' section a chance to get going and see if it's gonna work. We're hoping that it will keep things neater and mean specific posts will be easier to find than when looking through a topic some 800 posts long.

That being the case, we're gonna lock down the 'cut the crap, what did you shoot thread for a while to see how this one goes.

Thanks all

Goughy

Jarro
13th September 2004, 03:13 AM
sounds like a good idea guys.

just means a bit more work for you having to post a new thread each week :?

AndyP
13th September 2004, 10:42 AM
What! You're locking my thread down! :evil:

What did I do wrong? :wink:

Jarro
13th September 2004, 01:27 PM
What! You're locking my thread down! :evil:

What did I do wrong? :wink:

got too big for your britches sonny-boy :P :lol:

Onewood
13th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Went to congat's to Mau on shooting 71 (although 91 then 71 he should be swabbed :D ) but the thread "week beginning 6/9" is locked :?

more trials :?:

McMw
13th September 2004, 09:07 PM
cheers Kev...
guess it helps to play in a comp...
I still blame my mates for my 91 that day... :lol:

yeah...the lockdown's a little premature I thought?!?!? :lol:

Fishman Dan
15th November 2004, 08:59 AM
A new concept for 'What did you shoot'.

Everyone (who wants to contribute) starts their own thread. Each week they can post and it will be marked (for others) as having changed and 'attract' them to see ;)

I find that the current format means that no one pays too much attention to how others are going, and you find if you are last/2nd last post on the page then you've wasted your time because no one will see it. It's also hard to track your own progress easily.

Pro's:
You can see when a player has played their latest round, as the thread will be marked with unread items.
Track your own / other persons form easily.

Con's:
More reading time at work... this could be a 'Pro' :?

AndyP
15th November 2004, 09:14 AM
A new concept for 'What did you shoot'.

Everyone (who wants to contribute) starts their own thread. Each week they can post and it will be marked (for others) as having changed and 'attract' them to see ;)

Fishy, you have been pushing this, so you can track your own scores for quite some time now. This idea definitely has some merit though. :-k

Would also be a good way for tracking the handicap movement for those who don't provide the link.

I suggest that you start a new thread, and run a poll. :idea:

Fishman Dan
15th November 2004, 09:18 AM
Fishy, you have been pushing this, so you can track your own scores for quite some time now. This idea definitely has some merit though. :-k

Would also be a good way for tracking the handicap movement for those who don't provide the link.

I just find the current format too hard to read (and take interest), especially when there are 2 threads cooking. I.e. - the last to post on last weeks thread is really just wasting time?!

I also find that occasionally 'conversations' occur in these threads, and you have to roll 2 pages back to find the context? If it was in the 'AndyP' thread, it's all there together.

Anyone else? I really don't take any interest in this forum as a result - it's not that i'm bitter that no one has read my American Foursomes post ;) 8)

AndyP
15th November 2004, 09:22 AM
it's not that i'm bitter that no one has read my American Foursomes post ;) 8)
I've read it twice now, does that make you feel better? :smt056

markTHEblake
15th November 2004, 11:59 AM
I find that the current format means that no one pays too much attention to how others are going,

Exactly the same thing happens when we dribble at the 19th hole about the putt that got away and IF, IF, IF..... Everybody wants to have their say, nobody wants to listen.

At least in this forum we can dribble away and get it off our chest (like we really want to), and at least we can pretend that others are listening/reading.

If we have seperate threads for each person less people would check it out.

3oneday
15th November 2004, 01:29 PM
I think it has merit, my thinking is that if the Fishman Dan thread became active then there is something there worth reading. If Fishy then decided that he would waste everyones time by posting worthless dribble in his own thread, eventually less and less people would read it, thus he would make his own thread redundant.

Maybe a benchmark should be decided, no middle of the road scores, total crap or really good, so it makes for interesting reading. Then again, having 36 points can be made to sound interesting as well :roll: :roll:

Pete

Fishman Dan
15th November 2004, 01:32 PM
I think it has merit, my thinking is that if the Fishman Dan thread became active then there is something there worth reading. If Fishy then decided that he would waste everyones time by posting worthless dribble in his own thread, eventually less and less people would read it, thus he would make his own thread redundant.

Maybe a benchmark should be decided, no middle of the road scores, total crap or really good, so it makes for interesting reading. Then again, having 36 points can be made to sound interesting as well :roll: :roll:

Pete

Which brings me to the next point - if possible make the owner of their own thread a moderator OF THAT THREAD only, so you can delete any of the flotsam that floats about - i don't discourage a message or two, but you don't want 20 posts between round updates.

markTHEblake
15th November 2004, 02:08 PM
I dont think its possible to assign security levels to threads.
But you can do it for Forums, but would the Admin be bothered to do the work...

Fishman Dan
15th November 2004, 02:18 PM
But you can do it for Forums, but would the Admin be bothered to do the work...

Perhaps we can finally come up with a reason to use the DOB button - to get the admin to delete crap cluttering your thread.

AndyP
15th November 2004, 02:48 PM
Maybe you can.
Doesn't Macca have admin access to the Open Comps thread? :smt102

Jarro
15th November 2004, 03:23 PM
sounds like a good idea Fishy 8)

thats why i wanted to get everyone into the Gametrack system, so we could see at a glance all their latest rounds ... and cut a lot of the crap out.

Onewood
15th November 2004, 07:32 PM
It seems much the same as a golflinks link :? I check this all the time to see how Ozgolfers are going...for those who havent got a link, thats there choice and prob wouldn't want there own thread either :roll:

Good luck with it :)

Fishman Dan
15th November 2004, 09:08 PM
It seems much the same as a golflinks link :? I check this all the time to see how Ozgolfers are going...for those who havent got a link, thats there choice and prob wouldn't want there own thread either :roll:

Good luck with it :)

And if you don't have a GolfLink number? :roll:

markTHEblake
15th November 2004, 10:38 PM
Maybe you can.
Doesn't Macca have admin access to the Open Comps thread? :smt102

Just checked and confirmed that NOPE, cant assign permissions to threads.

Trung
11th February 2005, 03:09 PM
Moderator...

Edit the original post and remove "Announcement" of this topic. I hope you know how to do that.. :wink:

8)

AndyP
31st March 2005, 03:49 PM
Moderator...

Edit the original post and remove "Announcement" of this topic. I hope you know how to do that.. :wink:

8)
If the other one doesn't then I do.
I think it is beyond a trial now.