PDA

View Full Version : Southern Highlands

Fishman Dan
19th March 2007, 01:22 PM
I'm accompanying the missus to Bowral this weekend, but while she attends her monthly meeting I'm going to look further afield for a game. Anyone know what courses are in the area? I'm not really able to go as far as Kangaroo Valley, really just limited to the immediate surrounds of Bowral/Mittagong due to the location of the conference centre (Burradoo Actually). How far is Mt Broughton?

It's very close to Bowral GC, so does anyone know what that place is like? I notice it's $35 + $10 comp fee to play there, but doesn't seem to be anything special.

TS
19th March 2007, 01:28 PM
Mt Broughton is not bad, but I don't think it is worth the $100 green fee that they want. I like Moss Vale the best in that area and the green fee is very reasonable.

mikezone13
19th March 2007, 01:30 PM
I'm a Mt Broughton fan (it's only 10 minutes from Bowral just east of Suttons Forest on Kater Rd))... grab a voucher off ISG and it works out a lot cheaper (can I say that here?) :D

Have played Bowral Golf & Country Club and enjoyed it for a little country track, and was quite hilly in areas.

Am yet to play Moss Vale but it's on the list of to do's.

Grunt
19th March 2007, 01:31 PM
Moss Vale is good, Andrew & I played there recently. Dan Some of the Southern Highlands Courses are in our NSW Open Day Thread

Fishman Dan
19th March 2007, 02:15 PM
The only Open day soon for Mt Broughton is the 31st, otherwise I can only manage a mid-morning non-comp tee time. Seeing as though the missus will be done by 12:30'ish, I was hoping to tee off no later than 8:30-9am.

Bowral seems to be open days on Saturday's, and there doesn't appear to be any problem getting onto the time sheet, although possibly not as early as I need to be.

Moss Vale isn't an open comp, but you can get a start by calling during the morning. Hmm, decisions..

Grunt
19th March 2007, 02:21 PM
Andrew told me that Bowral is better than Bowral Country Club, if that helps you decision.

Fishman Dan
19th March 2007, 02:37 PM
Oh, there are 2?! Back to the drawing board then!

I checked and rang Bowral Golf Club (http://www.bowralgolfclub.com.au/) and can get on at 9:28 by joining another group, which I might do. I am guessing by the website that this is not the Country Club.

mikezone13
19th March 2007, 03:58 PM
Oh, there are 2?! Back to the drawing board then!

I checked and rang Bowral Golf Club (http://www.bowralgolfclub.com.au/) and can get on at 9:28 by joining another group, which I might do. I am guessing by the website that this is not the Country Club.

Nope, very confusing down there, the website is Bowral Golf Club the other club there is Bowral Golf and Country Club (just to confuse things), I've only played BGCC.

Andrew
19th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Dan,

Bowral GC is similar to the established courses down that way. It's not that difficult a course off the tee, but the greens are small & often crowned, so the ability to play a flop shot around the greens is handy.

It's been 20 years since I've played Bowral Country Club. I happy enough to have played & happy enough to go to the grave only having played it once.

I have always enjoyed Moss Vale. It is a reasonable challenge, with a nice variety of holes & green complexes. It generally has the best cover of Fescue on the fairways of any of the club courses down that way.

Mt Boughton is worth a hit, but is a bit over priced for what you get. It can play tough, but lacks a bit of variety around the greens.

Highlands is reasonable, but also lacks variety.

Grunt
19th March 2007, 04:35 PM
Hey Andrew why don't you become the resident NSW Golf course reviewer/critic. If someone has a course that they wish to play at you could give advise.

jimandr
20th March 2007, 08:45 PM
I've played all the Sthn Highlands courses except Mt Broughton.

To be fair it has been a while since I've played them, but I doubt if they've changed much.

Moss Vale is good, and well worth a game. Both the Bowral courses are shortish, but usually in good condition. Bowral Country is slightly better, but much hillier.

Mittagong (actually called Highlands) has some nice holes, but isn't anything special.

This time of the year is easily the best time to play at those courses. In winter the courses suffer from frosts, and sometimes snow!, and it can be very windy in spring.

From Bowral, all courses are within about 15 minutes drive.

Fishman Dan
21st March 2007, 12:24 PM
The wife's meeting was relocated to Rose Bay, which is both good and bad. We don't need to travel 2 hours, but I won't be able to get to play the local course where she is - over the road from Royal Sydney.

I wouldn't want to play these courses in the winter, it would be real brass monkey stuff I'd imagine. As far as short-term access goes, Bowral GC is the easiest, with Moss Vale the next best option for on-the-morning callup.

jimandr
21st March 2007, 09:16 PM
You could play Woollahra, right next to Royal Sydney. I don't know what it's like. I think Jono has played there.

Or Bondi. I've never played it either, but everyone hates it because it is all par 3's.