PDA

View Full Version : The Best that Melbourne has to offer

chappy1970
14th March 2007, 01:37 PM
This thread is probably here somewhere, I just didn't look hard enough.

Wanted to know what those who have played golf in Melbourne (including Mornington Peninsula and the Surf Coast) have thought.

I played at Falcons home course last week (Patterson River CC) and let me tell you it was in by far the best condition of any course that I have played recently. Considering the effect that the drought is having on some of Melbournes finest, Patto River is not suffering at all, in fact you would swear that you were in sub bizarre tropical oasis. Hats off to the course staff. :smt023

Chappy

BrisVegas
14th March 2007, 01:39 PM
Haven't played in Melbourne, but I've played a couple on the Mornington Peninsular. The Dunes is very nice and good value. Moonah Links' two courses make for a good day out. Portsea is reasonable and has lots of fans too.

TS
14th March 2007, 01:42 PM
Played The Dunes, Moonah Link Open & Moonah Link Legend 2 weeks ago. All 3 courses are in reasonable condition. I like The Open course the most out of the 3 courses.

The best course down in Mornington Peninsula has to be The National, The Old and Moonah in The National is fantastic and the Occean is not bad.

Played in Royal Melb, and the condition is very poor. Most of the rough is dead and the condition of the fairway was very poor. Unless you can get on cheaply, it is not worth playing there at the moment.

dc68
14th March 2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry thought this might have been about King St.

chappy1970
14th March 2007, 01:49 PM
TS the course that I am a member at has 5 sizeable dams each with a good amount of water and the course is in really ordinary condition. It will only take 2 or 3 good dumps of rain for the Santa Anna couch to come back, but it is not at its best at the mo. Neither is many of the other courses in a 10km radius which includes Kingston Heath, Kingswood, Woodlands, Yarra Yarra, Commonwealth, Metro (my personal fav) and Huntingdale.

Chappy

Falcon
14th March 2007, 03:54 PM
Chappy,

I'm glad you enjoyed my home track...recycled water does the trick everytime ;) I nearly fell over when you told me it was in better shaped than Southern! Apparantly Woodlands is the awesome nick...you guessed it, they've got recycled water too ;)

AndyP
14th March 2007, 04:01 PM
How's Westgate looking?

I'd have to agree with TS, in that, The National Old is the pick of the courses I've played.

Moe Norman
14th March 2007, 04:33 PM
Picks of the bunch are St. Andrew's Beach and Kingston Heath. RM has been widely criticised for the condition of the course in the past couple of years, been there about 5 times in the past 2 years myself and its been in great nick once, horrible once and average to poor the other three times.

Bruce
14th March 2007, 04:37 PM
How's Westgate looking?

Surprisingly good. Greener than an awful lot of other places. And more awful than a lot of greener places.

Falcon
14th March 2007, 05:44 PM
Isn't Westage also known as Kikuyu Fields? ;)

No wonder its alive and green!

Webster
14th March 2007, 06:11 PM
Green is not always good lads...

Toolish
14th March 2007, 06:56 PM
East Geelong is worth a look, definately worth the drive from Melbourne...

Now....how do I get my tongue out of my cheek again!

13th Beach is always good for a hit...interested to see the creek again with the work done!

Boonie
26th March 2007, 08:07 PM
TS the course that I am a member at has 5 sizeable dams each with a good amount of water and the course is in really ordinary condition. It will only take 2 or 3 good dumps of rain for the Santa Anna couch to come back, but it is not at its best at the mo. Neither is many of the other courses in a 10km radius which includes Kingston Heath, Kingswood, Woodlands, Yarra Yarra, Commonwealth, Metro (my personal fav) and Huntingdale.

Chappy

Kingston Heath and Yarra Yarra are in superb condition at the moment Chappy.

Bruce
26th March 2007, 09:16 PM
I should introduce to you Liinda Chappy. She's at YY.

chappy1970
27th March 2007, 08:47 AM
I should introduce to you Liinda Chappy. She's at YY.

You have been promising us a game at YY for some time now Bruce!!!!

Flowergirl
27th March 2007, 09:01 AM
My home course is lush and green. Gotta love the old recycled water. :mrgreen: Played at Flinders last week and that's a bit dry. And you're right about Southern Chappy. Played there a couple of weeks ago and it was looking a bit patchy.
But I tell you what - I have never smelt stronger eucalyptus ever. Just near the tee of the par 3 they are re building it was so strong. Beautiful.

chappy1970
27th March 2007, 09:07 AM
My home course is lush and green. Gotta love the old recycled water. :mrgreen: Played at Flinders last week and that's a bit dry. And you're right about Southern Chappy. Played there a couple of weeks ago and it was looking a bit patchy.
But I tell you what - I have never smelt stronger eucalyptus ever. Just near the tee of the par 3 they are re building it was so strong. Beautiful.

Hopefully they will open the Par 3 in the next couple of weeks...It will be an absolute b@stard from the tips.
With some luck the club will come to their senses and invest the $$$ for recyled water. Sustainability needs to be addressed, its great to have the storm water run off from the neighboring suburb, its just that it hasn't rained for freakin ages.:smt093