PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Major Pennants

Grunt
1st March 2007, 12:31 PM
Hi All

Any of the Sydney low marker OzGolfers playing in the Pennants currently underway at the moment?
Macarthur Grange is in the white Division section 3, drawn up against Kareela, Glenmore Heritage & Beverly Park.

Fishman Dan
1st March 2007, 12:41 PM
I've been asked to caddy next week for Gordon against... dunno why actually. We're drawn with Barnwell Park (beat them @ BP), Palm Beach (beat them 5.5 to 1.5 at PB), and now we've got 3 weeks of games at Gordon. I think the final team is Balgowlah. We managed to draw all 9-hole clubs!

Grunt
1st March 2007, 12:50 PM
I may be caddiing on Sunday at Macarthur Grange, depends on how I pull up after the footy and if I am reqd as I am just a fill in. Could not commit to each week due to work.

miro
1st March 2007, 12:53 PM
First year in the past 5 that I am not playing -a reflection of general golf apathy and declining ability. Wouldn't you guess this year we are grouped with The Lakes and The Australian. Wouldn't have been fun but such is life.

Grunt
1st March 2007, 12:55 PM
Would have been great just for the expirience Miro, but thinking about that comment maybe if you are playing Major Pennants the courses should not be that big a deal for you. Forgot that the ability of these players would not let that sort of thought get involved.

miro
1st March 2007, 12:59 PM
Grunt,

When you play major pennants you are off the plates, the pins tend the diabolical (to suite local knowledge of the home team) and the greens mostly at their quickest. So whilst both the Lakes and the Aussie I have played many times playing them in those conditions against top notch (read better than me) golfers is a hoot.

Grunt
1st March 2007, 01:04 PM
I bet, well I can only dream of ever being good enough, Caddiing may be my only chance to see that sort of golf.

pt73
1st March 2007, 01:30 PM
Yep, played one game (lost) and was rested as we have a rotation policy just like the Aussie cricket team.

Agree with Miro, courses are always setup tough.

PT

3oneday
1st March 2007, 01:47 PM
Used to play, when I could play :).

You would never see Windsor playing a club like the Aussie, not that the draws aren't rigged at all.... Something about the word eliteist :lol:

pt73
1st March 2007, 02:19 PM
With sectional draws like Bankstown/Concord/Strathfield/Cromer you would think it's sponsored by Caltex not Schweppes.

PT

Fishman Dan
1st March 2007, 03:38 PM
I thought I saw that Ryde-Parra was also drawn in Royal Sydney's group? Whoever it was, RS got towelled up 7-0!!!!

miro
1st March 2007, 03:45 PM
Dan,

You might be right maybe we were The Lakes and Royal Sydney. Since I am not playing I am not 100% on it.

3oneday
1st March 2007, 03:45 PM
I thought I saw that Ryde-Parra was also drawn in Royal Sydney's group? Whoever it was, RS got towelled up 7-0!!!!maybe the RS budget isn't what some of the others is ;) or their focus isn't Major Pennants ?

miro
1st March 2007, 03:47 PM
Used to play, when I could play :).

You would never see Windsor playing a club like the Aussie, not that the draws aren't rigged at all.... Something about the word eliteist :lol:

Pete,

It has nothing to do with the draw being rigged, it is policy. Some years ago the Group 1 clubs threatened to withdraw from Pennants and play there own comp as they felt they were to often being forced to play courses like (no offence) Windsor. So the compromise was that if when the draw is made a Group 1 club is selected then the group must include at least 2 group 1 clubs (out of 4 clubs). Then on occasions you will pick up an extra one in the draw -like our group this year with 3 Group 1 clubs, if you are lucky.

3oneday
1st March 2007, 04:03 PM
Yep, agreed Miro... the powerful clubs hold sway, ie play my way or I'll take my bat and ball etc etc, such is life. I could just imagine if the Aussie had to travel to Fox Hills again like they did last year, or whenever it was :lol: :lol:

pt73
1st March 2007, 04:20 PM
I thought I saw that Ryde-Parra was also drawn in Royal Sydney's group? Whoever it was, RS got towelled up 7-0!!!!
It was Pennant Hills @ Pennant Hills, my best mate plays for RS.

PT

amanda
1st March 2007, 04:20 PM
So can someone explain to me what exactly the groups mean? They still spruik New Brighton as a "group 1" course. It certainly doesn't match up to places like The Lakes, RS etc.

pt73
1st March 2007, 04:31 PM
Dangerous ground here but I'll have a go.

The concept of Group 1 has gone with the new system. Originally (20+ years ago) Group 1 was the high profile clubs (not only private ones btw) but this was expanded about 10 years ago (a total guess) to include more clubs, then a while ago (at a guess 5-6 years) the current system came in which did away with the Group 1/2/3 tiers of clubs. In the "old days" clubs never played outside their groups and there was a Group 1/2/3 pennant winner each year.

The guff from the NSWGA is here on Page 2 which explains how the current system works:

http://www.nswga.com.au/files/AS91FFG5WM/2007%20Major%20Pennants%20Conditions.pdf

PT

Fishman Dan
1st March 2007, 05:24 PM
maybe the RS budget isn't what some of the others is ;) or their focus isn't Major Pennants ?

When you've got Major Championships being hosted at your course, pennants probably isn't your main focus ;)

PT - you're dead right. It was Penno and they smashed them. I don't think I've ever seen that before!