PDA

View Full Version : Els rumour

Courty
25th February 2007, 10:19 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere on here, but I'm hearing rumours that Ernie Els is about to switch to Callaway. Apparently his Titleist contract runs out in a few months. Not sure about anyone else, but I find it hard to imagine him using X-shovels. :???:

Eag's
25th February 2007, 10:28 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere on here, but I'm hearing rumours that Ernie Els is about to switch to Callaway. Apparently his Titleist contract runs out in a few months. Not sure about anyone else, but I find it hard to imagine him using X-shovels. :???:

Wow!! that would be a real shock :shock:
Put a more forgiving stick in his hands to make him even better :smt002

goughy
25th February 2007, 10:35 PM
He used tm shovels before. The burner wasn't it.

AndyP
25th February 2007, 10:59 PM
He has to get a Rapture. It raawwwwks.

Jarro
25th February 2007, 11:06 PM
.. must be true if all the BSG'ers are going on about it :roll:

Ducky
26th February 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm hearing rumours that Ernie Els is about to switch to Callaway.
Add it to the list along with Nike and Taylormade. People have been going on with this crap for the last six months, I am yet to see any actual evidence that it is going to happen.

Fishman Dan
26th February 2007, 05:06 PM
Seems like this has already been done. Did Els also shag a hooker and get into gambling trouble?

kiwidave
26th February 2007, 05:23 PM
I heard it was actually going to be Nickent, but I did nearly fall off the couch laughing when I heard that one

Speirsy11
27th February 2007, 09:41 PM
I heard it was actually going to be Nickent, but I did nearly fall off the couch laughing when I heard that one

Nickent is actually making some serious gear now......but it's all academic now, Golf Digest South Africa is reporting that EE has signed with Callaway.

chappy1970
28th February 2007, 09:52 AM
Off topic(a little) I know one of the part owners of Nickent Australia and he was/is a pretty handy golfer

dc68
28th February 2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.golfdigest.co.za/stories/df_ELS_JOINS_CALLAWAY780.php

Click

Eag's
28th February 2007, 03:20 PM
Well there you go, good work Dave :smt023

BrisVegas
28th February 2007, 03:28 PM
for shame... I can understand him leaving..... but to Callaway! Just doesn't sit right. Maybe he'll work with them to build some blades!

dc68
28th February 2007, 03:33 PM
for shame... I can understand him leaving..... but to Callaway! Just doesn't sit right. Maybe he'll work with them to build some blades!

What do you think the Ben Hogan Co does? Most of the callyaway staffers who like pure blades have the Hogans.

dc68
28th February 2007, 03:35 PM
Well there you go, good work Dave :smt023

Stole it off ISG mate ;)

BrisVegas
28th February 2007, 03:41 PM
What do you think the Ben Hogan Co does? Most of the callyaway staffers who like pure blades have the Hogans.

oh yeah true! forgot that. Surely Callaway would like to see Ernie with Callaway "branded" sticks though, even if they are Hogan designs.

dc68
28th February 2007, 03:59 PM
I suppose. He will probably end up using the X forged irons though.

Chris32
28th February 2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe they will keep Mickelson as the Callaway poster boy, and use him to build up the Hogan range?

Big loss for Titleist I reckon, even though Scott is ranked higher, I think Els had a larger appeal to there market

He's my favourite player, and I have ended up with pretty much a all Titleist bag. I do like there gear though :)

Grunt
28th February 2007, 04:06 PM
I heard that Hogan were going to be their cheap entry level brand. They are doing so as to not compete with Callaway itself.

dc68
28th February 2007, 04:20 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha cheap entry level!!!!!!! It should be the other way around.

Grunt
28th February 2007, 04:27 PM
That is why all the hogan stuff is on sale at Drummond.

Jarro
28th February 2007, 06:14 PM
I reckon they might make a new line of irons to suit him .... something like X20Tour blades, or a combo set of something.

Moe Norman
28th February 2007, 06:29 PM
Hogan as cheap entry level?

you have got to be kidding!!?

goughy
28th February 2007, 06:45 PM
I would guess he will use the newer x tour irons. They're not that far removed from what he was using throughout his time at taylormade anyway.

The FT range of drivers seem to be going ok for them. They've always had some of the best and favoured fairway woods around. The x tour irons are nice. The wedges seem good. And a huge range of putters available to him. I think he could comfortably use a full bag of callaway with no trouble at all.

Moe Norman
28th February 2007, 07:53 PM
he has always used whatever putter he likes, sometimes from his manufacturers stable, sometimes not.

Grunt
28th February 2007, 08:47 PM
Hogan as cheap entry level?

you have got to be kidding!!?

No Kidding, have heard same story from 3 seperate sources.

terryand
28th February 2007, 08:50 PM
You tell him Grunt, there hack stick, aren't they.

Terry.

3oneday
28th February 2007, 09:25 PM
I have to say when I was a kid that Hogans were the duck nuts, you were a real player if you used Hogan. Callaway has always made chunky clubs, some good, some bad. I do remember seeing some Callaway blades once, but only once ;)

Would it be fair to say Callaway have tried to come up to speed with all the other companies by throwing cash around, but have never quite made it ? Just an observation.

BrisVegas
28th February 2007, 09:28 PM
I can see him with Hogan irons and the rest of the Cally lineup. The wedges and putters should be familiary territory for him.

I think he fits with Hogan as nicely as tin cup, err sorry, Phil does with Callaway. Callaway has room for two stars and two lines. Much like Scott and Ogilvy.

goughy
28th February 2007, 10:39 PM
While Hogan could use a replacement for Furyk, as the article said they are after the key callaway staffer who plays a big part in europe. He'll be callaway with irons I reckon.

Moe Norman
1st March 2007, 08:32 AM
Grunt,

You are speaking out of your ass.

Goughy,

The logical thing would be for him to use Hogans, but I think you're right - he'll likely use Callaways.

Grunt
1st March 2007, 10:59 AM
Moe think what you like, but it is happening and it is just how things happen when big companies own 2 similar products in the same marketplace. They don't put them up against one another they put them into seperate niches to maximise profits. QANTAS & Jetstar, Toyota & Lexus are just a couple of examples.

dc68
1st March 2007, 11:17 AM
Grunt it is a performance/playability thing. I think if you offered a "player" the choice between a top of the range Hogan iron and a top of the range Callaway iron he would prefer to play with the Hogan.

Grunt
1st March 2007, 11:24 AM
Grunt it is a performance/playability thing. I think if you offered a "player" the choice between a top of the range Hogan iron and a top of the range Callaway iron he would prefer to play with the Hogan.

I agree but Callaway does not seem to agree.

Not only here is talking about it.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75512&hl=Hogan

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52700&st=0&p=300850&#entry300850

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75740&hl=Hogan

May even be going the other way too, totally High end Custom made model. If that is the case they are just as well dead here in Australia, we dont have a big enough market for them.

Courty
1st March 2007, 11:29 AM
Maybe they will continue to make/ sell the Hogan line of players irons but badged as Callaway?

Eag's
1st March 2007, 11:30 AM
How about we just wait and see what he tees up with in his next Tournie,
rather than trying to predict what setup he will go with.

Grunt
1st March 2007, 11:35 AM
How about we just wait and see what he tees up with in his next Tournie,
rather than trying to predict what setup he will go with.

That would be thinking too logically for here.

Moe Norman
1st March 2007, 11:43 AM
Grunt,

Why would Hogan be cheap entry level when their primary market is mainly forged blades, or low profile cavities aimed at low markers?

They are a premium product at a premium price aimed at better players.

Callaway on the other hand historically have a product portfolio aimed at hackers, or most certainly aimed at people not looking for a thin top line with minimal offset ;)

Hogan becoming cheap entry level junk is as likely as Mizuno bring out a new cast oversize iron head with tungsten inserts and graphite shafts as their new flagship iron.

3oneday
1st March 2007, 02:08 PM
Talk on US golf forums is only believable if it is on BSG, the rest are a joke !!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that :lol: :lol: :lol: that talk is old, and talk is cheap. I know we all have trouble thinking logically :roll: but ultimately it is opinion. If the golf forums in the US weren't chock full of people in the know then there wouldn't be much to talk about.

The same threads you quoted talk about the numbers of users of Hogan on tour as well, and they also contradict what they have heard.

I personally think it will be tough for Ernie to move from blades. Weirdest thing is his most successful period (majors) was with TM :p

Moe Norman
1st March 2007, 02:09 PM
wasn't he using those forged cavities that look like the 300's when he won one of his Opens? They are TM things that are really rare - I think they have an X in their name or something.

3oneday
1st March 2007, 02:11 PM
wasn't he using those forged cavities that look like the 300's when he won one of his Opens? They are TM things that are really rare - I think they have an X in their name or something.Maybe, I don't recall being that interested in clubs when he was winning, just that he was using them. I understand he has had blades ever since being with Titleist ? so 4 years ?

Moe Norman
1st March 2007, 02:11 PM
found them

X300's

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/vintage_detail.asp?catID=9&page=4

He had them in the bag when he beat the Elk and Apples in a playoff for the British Open.

3oneday
1st March 2007, 02:13 PM
Nice find... interesting that clubs were shorter then ? 5 iron is now 38" ?

Moe Norman
1st March 2007, 02:18 PM
i've only ever seen one set of them and they are mighty fine looking clubs.

I tried to buy a set on ebay not that long ago, but the bidding went north of $1k

Jarro
1st March 2007, 02:20 PM
There's been a set or two going on BSG over the last few months, but they are ridiculously priced :shock:

Maybe EE should head back to TM .... the man obviously liked the clubs.

Courty
1st March 2007, 02:22 PM
A guy I sometimes play with still uses a set of the ICW II's on this (http://www.taylormadegolf.com/vintage_detail.asp?catID=9&page=6) page. :shock:

Jarro
1st March 2007, 02:32 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/Petrosian63/73444911.jpg

Courty
1st March 2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe we should just send Ernie an email and ask him "What's replacing these?"

:lol: :mrgreen:

3oneday
1st March 2007, 02:56 PM
SAP is an unfortunate name... what does it actually represent ?

peter_rs
1st March 2007, 02:56 PM
Callaway Golf announced today that it has reached an agreement with PGA and European Tour player Ernie Els. Els, currently ranked No. 6 in the Official World Golf Rankings, is expected to begin his endorsement by playing the HX Tour 56 Golf Ball, carrying a Callaway Golf bag and wearing a Callaway Golf logo on the sides and back of his cap. He will work with Callaway Golf in the coming weeks to determine the woods, wedges and putter that best suit his game.

Does that mean they will let him play his old gear with the names blacked out?

Sap is the software package

3oneday
1st March 2007, 02:57 PM
Like Tiger you mean ??? :lol:

BrisVegas
1st March 2007, 03:01 PM
SAP is an unfortunate name... what does it actually represent ?

Systeme, Anwendungen, Produkte

ie. Systems Applications and Products. It's an ERP system, founded by ze Germans. For more info see here... http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid21_gci214190,00.html

AndyP
1st March 2007, 03:04 PM
Most people that use SAP, don't like it. It's primarily used for Accounts and Logistics type stuff.

Courty
1st March 2007, 05:06 PM
Isn't it a front end for Oracle databases?

peter_rs
1st March 2007, 06:59 PM
So at the Johnnie Walker he is using a cally bag filled with titties

senecio
1st March 2007, 07:08 PM
So at the Johnnie Walker he is using a cally bag filled with titties

Titleist Irons and Wedges with a Callaway driver (Ft5 I think it is)

peter_rs
2nd March 2007, 09:44 AM
it is a FT5... and he hit it sh1t

Courty
2nd March 2007, 11:36 AM
At the Johnnie Walker:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-8670-1172736179.jpg

Callaway badge on hat, Callaway glove, Callaway bag, Callaway FT-5 driver (as Pete said) but Titleist irons & Fairway wood.

Courty
2nd March 2007, 11:46 AM
Rumour finally confirmed...

CARLSBAD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 28, 2007--Callaway Golf
Company (NYSE: ELY) today announced it has reached an agreement with
PGA and European Tour player Ernie Els. The terms of the contract are
not being disclosed.
It is expected that Els, 37, will begin his endorsement by playing
the Callaway HX Tour 56 golf ball, carrying a Callaway Golf Bag and
wearing the Callaway logo on the sides and back of his cap. Els will
work with Callaway Golf to determine which metal woods, irons, wedges
and putter best suit his game.
"I'm extremely excited to partner with Callaway Golf because of
its ongoing product innovation and commitment to making the game of
golf better for golfers," said Els. "I am always looking to improve my
game and my new relationship with Callaway Golf will play a key role
in achieving this."
Known as the "Big Easy" for his effortless looking golf swing and
easygoing demeanor on and off the course, Els has captured three major
championships: the United States Open in 1994 and 1997 and The Open
Championship in 2002. In 2006, he earned more than $2.3 million in
prize money on the PGA Tour.
"Ernie Els has the established career and character that aligns
perfectly with the Callaway brand and audience," said George Fellows,
CEO and President of Callaway Golf. "At Callaway, we are impressed
with Ernie's commitment to improving his golf game -- along with his
commitment to helping improve the lives of others."
In addition to his golf game, Els plays an integral role in
several philanthropic and business ventures, including the Ernie Els
and Fancourt Foundation, which mentors underprivileged youth who show
a talent for the game of golf.

Moe Norman
2nd March 2007, 01:13 PM
and footjoy shoes ;)

Eag's
2nd March 2007, 04:03 PM
Using the HX Tour ball as well :)

3oneday
2nd March 2007, 04:04 PM
Using the HX Tour ball as well :)now, can I ask are he and phil using the HX Tour or the HX 56 ? The Tour is harder but I thought the 56 was designed and used by Phil ?

Eag's
2nd March 2007, 04:06 PM
now, can I ask are he and phil using the HX Tour or the HX 56 ? The Tour is harder but I thought the 56 was designed and used by Phil ?

Not sure mate, but they were saying during the coverage today he was
using a Callaway ball, it could be either :smt102

3oneday
2nd March 2007, 04:08 PM
Not sure mate, but they were saying during the coverage today he was
using a Callaway ball, it could be either :smt102he should have gone to Ping huh, used a Rapture instead ;) ;)

Courty
2nd March 2007, 04:09 PM
now, can I ask are he and phil using the HX Tour or the HX 56 ? The Tour is harder but I thought the 56 was designed and used by Phil ?

It is expected that Els, 37, will begin his endorsement by playing
the Callaway HX Tour 56 golf ball, carrying a Callaway Golf Bag and
wearing the Callaway logo on the sides and back of his cap.

Which part didn't you understand? :lol:

3oneday
2nd March 2007, 04:14 PM
Pfft, I found post #62 most misleading :p

:lol:

Iain
2nd March 2007, 04:24 PM
Not too sure why he'd use the 56?? As he used a Prov1x with titleist and the equivilant ball from callaway is the HX tour.

I would've thought he'd spin the 56 too much..... :-s

Ducky
2nd March 2007, 04:50 PM
While Hogan could use a replacement for Furyk...
What? I thought Furyk was with Srixon.

Jarro
2nd March 2007, 05:11 PM
What? I thought Furyk was with Srixon.

He is.

goughy
2nd March 2007, 06:21 PM
Furyk used to be with hogan/callaway. I think he went to srixon last year.

Moe Norman
4th March 2007, 12:01 AM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73482567.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1930F65A344AAC8D07016FF440931CDC587

Courty
16th March 2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-4164-1173986342.jpg

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-4164-1173986344.jpg

Didn't take long to ditch the Titty gear. He's even got the X-Tour wedges and Odyssey putter now.

Moe Norman
16th March 2007, 04:00 PM
maybe its just a putter cover?

Fishman Dan
16th March 2007, 04:01 PM
Hope it's not the gear, but he's been playing pretty ordinarily lately.

3oneday
16th March 2007, 05:37 PM
hmmmm, X Forged :):):):)

perci
16th March 2007, 06:57 PM

Hmmmm Dibs.

Jarro
16th March 2007, 07:00 PM

agreed, they're mighty nice looking sticks 8)

kiwidave
16th March 2007, 08:00 PM
He's been messing around with putters for a while now. The X-Forged do look sweet dont they.........

AndyP
16th March 2007, 09:17 PM
But don't all the pros use blades to be able to learn what they are doing wrong? :roll:

3oneday
16th March 2007, 09:30 PM
But don't all the pros use blades to be able to learn what they are doing wrong? :roll:you're asking the wrong people AP ;)