PDA

View Full Version : Deep draught of the Kool Aid

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 09:07 AM
I've been contemplating a new driver for a little while. Not playing golf will do this to you. 3oneday and Pinglauncher know that they can work out how little golf I am playing by how many equipment purchases I am making!

So I've been thinking about:
Callaway FT-5
Nike Sumo
Cleveland HiBore XL Tour
Ping Rapture
Taylor Made R7 425 TP

At the moment I have only Taylor Made drivers sitting at home. It's a little like a spooky museum. I have two R510 TPs and two R500 Tours.

And the more I think about it, the more I doubt that my next driver will NOT be a Taylor Made.

I have previously had a Nike SQ Tour - great driver but a little too funky appearance wise for me. Also had a HiBore (the original version) - didn't like the feel nor the distance. Hit the FT-3 on a simulator, great performance but horrible sound. Had a Ping G2 a whlie back - just didn't do it for me overall, looks, feel, performance. So I'm a little scarred in terms of all of these manufacturers.

With TM - I've also owned a heap including R7 TP, R7 TP Tour, R7 Shallow TP Tour, R5 TP, R300 Tour. And I keep coming back to the same feeling... that nothing beats a non-moveable weight technology Taylor Made driver.

So my current fixation is on the new Burner TP. From what I've heard it is solid. It will be interesting to see how difficult to control it will be given the extra length and the very light static weight. I have a feeling that the head will be great and will need a heavier and more stable shaft.

Cheers,
T

Jarro
25th February 2007, 10:08 AM
T, nice collection of TM gear there mate .. how about posting some pics of the stable ;)

I tested the Sumo and found it to be very inconsistant and more likely to go left than anything. Felt pretty solid, and sounded OK .. but looked pretty ugly.

I'm also curious about the new Burner, but like you said and a bit concerned about just how light the thing really is. From all accounts by the BSG crew it's the longest thing most of them have ever played.

The Rapture is probably the one on your list that most "feels" like the 510TP. It's a great driver that's sooo solid and plenty long ;) Seems to be very forgiving too.

Do yourself a favour and talk to your local supplier :p

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 12:44 PM
Jarro,

Had a feeling you might chime in on this thread.

There are some interesting specs on the Burner on the TM website. The TP version at 45.5" will be D6 with the 50 g Fuji shaft and D7 with a 65 g Graphite Design shaft so the head can't be that light!

I suppose I really want something that is:
1. Large and forgiving;
2. Pleasing to the eye; and
3. Feels solid and sounds great.

Some of the posts on BSG indicate that the Burner is the best head since the 510 DF which is a big, big call.

I'd go a Rapture if there wasn't composite. I'm too concerned that if I reshaft the heat will ruin the head.

Jarro
25th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Terence, have you had a hit with the rapture yet ? No love for the VSProto ?

To be honest, i can't see why anyone would wanna reshaft the Rapture after hitting one with the stock VSProto in it ?? Great shaft that really kicks the living shite outta the ball 8)

Interesting about the weight of the Burner TP .... D6/D7 is pretty heavy :shock: Would you want the TP version or maybe the much lighter retail ? I know someone that has one coming soon ;)

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 01:40 PM
I've hit the Rapture on a simulator and was impressed. I also have a VS Proto 70 in one of the 510 TPs and the shaft is mint. It's just that I really like a HEAVY shaft (i.e. 3 figure gram weight) and would like to put that in a new head. Composite is therefore a worry!

Given that the Burner is supposed to be 299 grams total static weight with a 50 gram shaft and 42 gram grip, I expect that the head weight is actually pretty standard at about 200 grams. This also agrees with a swingweight calculator that I have here. The combination leads to an expected swingweight of D5. Tom Wishon suggested that using a very light shaft, one should try to increase swingweight to preserve overall feel.

Given that the head weight is about standard then I see no problem putting in a heavy shaft and playing the overall length at about 44" increasing control for me.

You make sure that that "someone" posts a review soon!

BrisVegas
25th February 2007, 01:52 PM
No love for the VSProto ?

To be honest, i can't see why anyone would wanna reshaft the Rapture after hitting one with the stock VSProto in it ?? Great shaft that really kicks the living shite outta the ball 8)

The VS Proto is one of the stock shafts for the new Titleist 907 drivers too. Seems like they're gaining popularity. I think the stock shaft is a 65gm version? What is in the Rapture Jarro?

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 02:04 PM
I think the stock shaft in the Rapture is the VS Proto 65...

3oneday
25th February 2007, 02:12 PM
Burner Non TP is also a swing weight of D5. To the average punter this probably means nothing, but they are flogging it as the hitters club anyway.

If you cut a half inch off a ping shaft (45 3/4) down to 45 1/4 it comes out to D2, sounds to me as though T is right. I was guessing the head weight was the same as the Pings at 193ish but must be higher.

The whole design is distance driven but it could be a good standard (length) driver ;)

Be interesting to see how closed the Non TP ones are. For $100 USD difference in price, what is it ? Square(ish) face and Rombax shaft ? Not worth it if you hoick the 50 gram shaft out. Would have to be one of the lightest grips I have ever heard of too !!

Not as good as a SUMO Tour though ;)

AndyP
25th February 2007, 02:16 PM
Jarro,

Had a feeling you might chime in on this thread.
:lol: :lol:
He chimes in on every thread.

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 02:16 PM
Not as good as a SUMO Tour though ;)

TOURitis!

Jarro
25th February 2007, 04:47 PM
I think the stock shaft in the Rapture is the VS Proto 65...

that's correct, and it's a great shaft :)

I was actually thinking of getting one and putting it in the 510TP to see if it performs just as well in that head ;)

Sumo sucks !!

Rapture rawwwwks :mrgreen:

just
25th February 2007, 04:55 PM
Sumo sucks !!

Rapture rawwwwks :mrgreen:

.....until next week.....

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 05:41 PM
that's correct, and it's a great shaft :)

I was actually thinking of getting one and putting it in the 510TP to see if it performs just as well in that head ;)

If the VS Proto 70 is anything like the 65 then it certainly works very well in the 510 TP head. I love mine but would prefer a VS Proto 105 if it were ever to come out.

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 05:45 PM
T, nice collection of TM gear there mate .. how about posting some pics of the stable ;)

All sold except for the 510 TPs and R500s.

Most of the pics can be seen in the Pro Shop here.

I will try to take some pics of the R500s as they are a truly interesting and excellent head. It is the MOST solid driver I have ever hit and doesn't give up any distance to any driver I've tried (and you know I've tried a lot). The only question is the relative forgiveness.

Jono
25th February 2007, 09:19 PM
T,

Stop drinking the OEM Kool Aid and come back to the Component Land ... 8)

Just ask Rick. He'll tell you how the Aurora kicked TM's butt on the launch monitor. ;)

3oneday
25th February 2007, 10:04 PM
He'll tell you how the Aurora kicked TM's butt on the launch monitor. ;)you sound like a bsg'r confined to the launchie because of the snow.... never seen a launchie on a course, are they legal ???

:lol:

kwantfm
25th February 2007, 10:06 PM
T,

Stop drinking the OEM Kool Aid and come back to the Component Land ... 8)

Just ask Rick. He'll tell you how the Aurora kicked TM's butt on the launch monitor. ;)

Increasingly how a club looks, sounds and feels is becoming more important to me. My experience is that most decent drivers generally perform about the same (although I haven't really tried a massive MOI driver yet - Burner, Burner, Burner!). Kool Aid does it for me in those three categories and has not disappointed on the performance side.

3oneday
25th February 2007, 10:08 PM
Not to mention the resale on an Aurora would be staggering :shock:

Jono
25th February 2007, 10:48 PM
Increasingly how a club looks, sounds and feels is becoming more important to me. My experience is that most decent drivers generally perform about the same (although I haven't really tried a massive MOI driver yet - Burner, Burner, Burner!). Kool Aid does it for me in those three categories and has not disappointed on the performance side.

Since how a clubhead feels is mostly due to the sound (unless you have super sensitive hands that can feel the face deflection), it's really two categories ... ;)

Aurora looks as good as any OEMs IMO ... Now if I can only fix up the sound ... :lol:

Jarro
25th February 2007, 11:09 PM
Jono, if ever a person was meant to use a Burner, it's YOU :mrgreen:

kwantfm
26th February 2007, 06:46 AM
Since how a clubhead feels is mostly due to the sound (unless you have super sensitive hands that can feel the face deflection), it's really two categories ... ;)

When I typed that I was very close to typing feel/sound... pedant!

3oneday
26th February 2007, 12:44 PM
Interesting that TaylorMade claim the Burner will give you an extra 10 yards, but then go on to break down how each component of the club contribute to that 10 yards.

3 yards for the head and 7 yards for the length and weight of the shaft. At least they are honest ;)

prmeier
26th February 2007, 02:26 PM
Kwantfm, what length do you play your driver at with 100+ gram shafts.

I am currently playing an R5TP with a Diamana 83S at 44.5 and it is going great. Excellent distance but more control. Have been thinking of trying a heavier (95-100g) shaft and going shorter again.

What shafts have you used in that weight range.

kwantfm
26th February 2007, 02:36 PM
prmeier,

I believe it is just a hair over 44". The only other heavy shafts I've used are Purple Ice (85 grams) and Graphite Design D-03 (105). Both were excellent driver shafts.

I reckon that NV 85/95 would be very suitable for driver if you like a heavier shaft.

Although not much beats the Diamana as a GREAT shaft.

3oneday
26th February 2007, 08:03 PM
SUMO, Burner, Rapture, Hi Bore XL
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1024/4d1pv7.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4d1pv7.jpg)
Burner, Rapture
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8136/burnrapsoleus8.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=burnrapsoleus8.jpg)
Sumo, Rapture
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7306/sumorapib3.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sumorapib3.jpg)
Rapture, Burner
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5558/rapburnfaceoq7.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rapburnfaceoq7.jpg)
Burner, HiBore XL, Rapture (thanks E ;))
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4792/rapcleveburnsf7.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rapcleveburnsf7.jpg)

PeteyD
26th February 2007, 08:45 PM
Has anyone actually hit a burner yet?

3oneday
26th February 2007, 08:55 PM
Has anyone actually hit a burner yet?no, want to be the first on ozgolf ????

Jarro
26th February 2007, 09:01 PM
Send it to me, i'll hit it for you ;)

PeteyD
26th February 2007, 09:32 PM
Not if I have to buy it if I sky it

3oneday
26th February 2007, 09:40 PM
Not if I have to buy it if I sky ithaha, no, you buy before you sky ;)

PeteyD
26th February 2007, 09:56 PM
whats the damage on em?

3oneday
26th February 2007, 10:01 PM
whats the damage on em?not sure of the retail here, $299USD where I shop....