PDA

View Full Version : Hi-bore XL tour review

peter_rs
22nd February 2007, 12:28 PM
My current driver before this was a 8.5* SQ tour with a Mugen.

The test club is a 8.5* Hi-bore XL tour, Red stiff

Looks:
It has the best head cover I have seen in recent time and the magnet cover around the shaft instead of a sock is magic.:mrgreen:

Now for the real stuff

Looks:
The XL tour has the best of the head designs, larger then the original but not as large as a XL. The black chrome sole is mint and the color change of the whole head means the scoop is not as noticeable and hides the true size of the club. The tour has a nice deep face which is just as wide as the original. The club sits flat and looks closer to 1* open than the reported 3*. This club looks great behind a ball.

The only down side is where the black chrome joins to the face, its not a clean line but more like a line a bubble jet printer would do printing a curve.

9/10

Feel:

I don't know if this is smart but Cleveland is not offering the XL in a range of stock or upgrade shafts. The stock shaft is a Fuji design Fit-on. There is a Gold (high launch) or red (low launch). at 65g 3.2 torque this has the chance to be a good shaft.

The Red feels solid and capable of suiting smooth swingers or sluggers. The shaft is even getting good reviews on golf wrx.

One thing to note with all the XL gear is the heavy heads. Even the hybrid feels heavier then normal. The head feels solid all over the clubface, even from the very top of the face.

At impact the XL tour feels very solid and hot of the face with a noise close to a X460. I think the comment is did you just break that ball. The XL is a huge improve over the original. The feel can be hard like a SQ tour at times

8/10

And does it Go:

For shazza this club is low and straight... and about 20m longer then her current hi-bore with V2.

For me..... well its still in my bag after two weeks:-D . It produces a long low ball. The tour is much longer and easier to hit then the original hi-bore but just shorter then the SQ/Mugen combo. This is a club you want to love once you feel the impact. One thing I like so far is this club does not want to go left (my bad shot of late).... I need some range time to see if I can work the ball.

8/10

In the end:
This club has alot of possibilities.... I'm going to spend some more time at the range but this could become a weapon with a vs-proto or limey to get a little more air time.

Anyway hope the English wasn't that bad (5/10 ;))and it doesn't put you off trying a XL tour.

Courty
22nd February 2007, 12:43 PM
Anyway hope the English wasn't that bad (5/10 ;))and it doesn't put you off trying a XL tour.

The English was amazingly good! :shock: I never would have thought it possible! :lol:

A very interesting read, thanks Pete.

Ducky
22nd February 2007, 12:53 PM
The ultimate review: the collaboration of Alo and Pete!

:lol:

kwantfm
22nd February 2007, 01:01 PM
peter_rs,

Could you please provide a comparison of launch angle compared to other drivers you've used?

Thanks,
T

peter_rs
22nd February 2007, 01:12 PM
This is just by eye I haven't got to a launchie yet with the XL.

8.5* SQ tour-Even with a high launch shaft the SQ has a lower ball fight
8.5* Cleveland 460- The 460 is higher but produces a all most ballooning ball flight
8.5* Cleveland Hi-bore- Higher then the XL.
9* G5- The G5 is higher then the XL.

I would say the XL produces a mid boring ball flight, so it can produce good roll after the carry. The XL starts high but does not keep climbing.

You don't have to tee the ball down like a hi-bore.

BrisVegas
22nd February 2007, 01:44 PM
Nice review. So what happed to the Sasquatch (sp?) with Mugen combo? (Sorry I don't keep up with your WITB.) Sounds like the Nike and the XL are pretty comparable.

Does the open clubface cause any issues with misses to the right?

peter_rs
22nd February 2007, 02:38 PM
I still have the sq/mugen combo. I could get a xl tour at the right price in singapore.... and its still a month until the aust release.

I haven't hit it enough to notice a trend, but at this stage no.

Courty
22nd February 2007, 02:42 PM
I haven't it enough to notice a tread, but at this stage no.

:confused: I knew it was too good to be true.

peter_rs
22nd February 2007, 02:46 PM
to quick for me...

Ducky
22nd February 2007, 02:53 PM
One thing I like so far is this club does not want to go left (my bad shot of late)...

Does the open clubface cause any issues with misses to the right?
It probably evens itself out if he has been hitting them left.

Courty
22nd February 2007, 03:21 PM
to quick for me...

too quick alright. ;)

gazgolf1
22nd February 2007, 03:46 PM
Nice review Pete. :)