PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 19th Feb 2007

Flowergirl
20th February 2007, 10:14 AM
Oh my god!!! Just when I thought I couldn't putt any worse than normal I go and play at Southern. Cripes - I hate those friggin greens!!!!!!!!!!! I am too ashamed to say how many putts I had - it would be the highest I've EVER seen posted. What really gets me is that I stood over every putt confinced that this time I'd get it in - but the positive attitude did nothing. What makes it worse is that I had the best driving and pitching round ever. Not one bad drive.

I just don't know how to get my confidence back with my putting. Do I go out and practise heaps and just shrug it off and hope that I improve next time I play?

The winner on the day had 40 points off a handicap of 2. Not bad going for a young girl - I think she was about 17.

Grunt
20th February 2007, 10:17 AM
Was it just a one off blot or have you been on a bad run? I find my putting is all confidence and if I have a bad day I don't take much notice.

Flowergirl
20th February 2007, 10:23 AM
My putting is by far the worst part of my game - and has been ever since I started. I rarely get under 36 putts.:evil: And that is regardless of where I play. I either overshoot by miles or pull up way short - just so inconsistant. My reads of the borrow usually isn't so bad - it's getting the speed right. I'm not too bad on shorter putts - probably a bit worse than average but not really bad.

Grunt
20th February 2007, 10:25 AM
Have you thought of a putting lesson just to see if it is something simple that you may be getting wrong. I had a simple one years ago and it worked well. I think my putting is one of the strengths of my game.

Fishman Dan
20th February 2007, 10:30 AM
Reenie, just remember - shorten the backswing and accelerate through the putt. 3 feet or 30 feet putts you should have the same backswing.

The rest is up to you............................ or your teacher ;)

Flowergirl
20th February 2007, 11:10 AM
Reenie, just remember - shorten the backswing and accelerate through the putt. 3 feet or 30 feet putts you should have the same backswing.

The rest is up to you............................ or your teacher ;)

I think that is my biggest problem. So - and this is probably stupid and obvious - you are saying the same backswing but just change the speed. That makes sense - and it's what I do on my pitching and chipping.

But then others tell me same speed but just lengthen the swing.:shock:

Fishman Dan
20th February 2007, 11:34 AM
But then others tell me same speed but just lengthen the swing.:shock:

Whoever's advice you are taking now - STOP! :lol:

That's as good as I can do for you ;)

goughy
20th February 2007, 11:02 PM
I've used the old longer backswing and cut my follow through off, kind of rapping the ball.

then again, I putt no better than you FG so I wouldn't listen to me.

Moe Norman
20th February 2007, 11:36 PM
FG - I won't give you advice on how to fix it, but I will say this.

If speed is your issue, the most common cause of this is not getting the ball rolling off the putter. You are either skipping it a bit on the air or getting alot of backspin in the first few feet of your putts. This means you can hit 3 putts with the same power and 2 could go way past it and one could pull up way short. This is due to the inconsistency of the 'flight' of the ball.

I have improved alot by concentrating on getting the ball rolling off the putter face and making solid contact. Once I have mastered this, I will then move onto getting the ball on the right line ;)

BrisVegas
21st February 2007, 08:35 AM
That's some good advice Moe. That's something I've been working on recently. Stoney pointed it out to me that I was catching the putts on the up with topspin (which I thought was the right way to get it rolling). He got me keeping my putter head low to the ground through the ball. It works. I've since seen that advice elsewhere, so there must be some validity to it.

IMO... speed is way more important that line.

goughy
21st February 2007, 07:35 PM
Once you pick your line, that's where the ball is going if you keep the putter head on line. So what I try and do is pick my line then think of it no more and concentrate on my distance.

Moe Norman
21st February 2007, 09:31 PM
exactly Dion, the line doesn't matter if you're not getting it to the hole!

AndyP
21st February 2007, 10:19 PM
The speed doesn't matter if you're not getting it on line. ;)

Moe Norman
21st February 2007, 10:32 PM
yes it does, cause it makes the next put alot easier.

Flowergirl
22nd February 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I played yesterday and although I hadn't read your advise re focus on the speed and not the direction - I had asked one of our ladies who is a good putter what she thought and she said the same thing. The first look at the putt will usually tell you the line - then just focus on the speed. I did this and didn't worry about technique and all the other crap that has been messing with my head. I just focused on hitting through the ball. I would love to say that I didn't have any three putts - I had 3 - but I also had 3 one putts and a lot of my second putts were tap ins. It was a big improvement. :mrgreen:

We played par yesterday and I finished -3. Too many brain farts on the back nine:evil: Had a lovely NTP on a difficult par 3. I know a good game is just around the corner.:smt002

Coffs_Hacker
22nd February 2007, 12:15 PM
41 pts at coffs today. Finally a nice solid 18holes

9fir
8gir
33putt
1bird

BrisVegas
22nd February 2007, 12:37 PM
nice shooting Craig. Looks like you'll be off 12 tomorrow. Congrats.

Grunt
22nd February 2007, 12:50 PM
Played with Andrew @ Moss Vale. 24 points.
Very ordinary day to start with. 9 points on the front nine with 3 out of the first four holes wiped. Could not get a handle on the fact the greens were affected by grain. Leave one putt short, put the next 10 feet past the hole.

Had what looking back was a funny experience on the 4th hole. I was under a tree off the fairway and had a couple of pine cones near the ball. I kicked the pine cone, it came off the side of the shoe and into my ball:shock:. You got it, I sliced the kick!!:???: I just then picked up the ball and walked it all off.

After that I decided to use the round as a practice round and i hit the new 3i off the tee a couple of times, it is nice!!! Also had trouble with distances close to the hole, more than twice I sailed over the back of the green from just under 100 out (or so I thought). Andrew & I both thought that some holes had there yardage pegs out of whack a little on some holes, we both sailed the green on one particular hole. Was a good practice round in the end and a few good things went with the bad.

Oh well maybe next time, only one game off going back to 18 again.

Jarro
23rd February 2007, 01:47 PM
82 off the stick around Nudgee South today (36 points)

9 fairways
10 G.I.R
36 putts

3 birdies
5 pars
6 bogeys
3 double-bogeys
1 triple-bogey

AndyP
23rd February 2007, 01:54 PM
10 GIR!!! That's some good going at our handicap level. It must have been the good irons you were using.

Jarro
23rd February 2007, 01:55 PM
Why do you think i'm whinging about the bloody greens !!!!!!

Grunt
23rd February 2007, 02:52 PM
Played Oatlands this morning and on the whole played a whole lot better
91 Gross
10 Fairways
4 GIR
1/9 up & Down
0/2 Sand saves
37 Putts

The game could have been worse but it could have been better to. I had 3 wipes, a birdie and a par. Putter was not on song today , i gave myself planty of up and down chances only to miss read the green and have the ball shave the cup. On the whole I am happy as i was in the hunt all day and after a bad hole I did not turn it into a run of bad holes. Maybe the lessons are really working and the scores will come back. If not I will have to settle and learn how to score off this handicap.

AndyP
23rd February 2007, 02:58 PM
23/02/07, Nudgee GC South, Stableford

8/13 effective T-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.
4/8 up and down successes.
30 putts.
-----------
1 birdie.
10 pars.
7 bogeys.
Score 37-39-76 stab 41pts (Par 35-35-70)

The G2 driver is going quite nicely and finding plenty of fairways, and the misses haven't been that bad. So far, I'd have to say it was a worthwhile purchase.

I hit some of the irons pretty bad, but also hit some pretty well, particularly after I figured I was standing a bit close to the ball. The NTP on the 18th was a nice strike and must have been pretty close to going in.

The putting seemed to come back today, and I drained quite a few from a good distance away. At the end of the round I seemed to miss a few closer ones though, which was wasteful.

The most disappointing part of my game at the moment is my greenside chipping. I'm just not standing over the ball with any confidence, and I rarely look like sinking a chip. It might be the new wedge combo, and I'm sure practice could fix this, but I'll just keep playing and keep complaining about it after every round. ;)

What's pleasing is that I know I'm still leaving obvious shots out there. Fat irons, flubbed chips, etc. My handicap will now be at an all time low of 10, and who knows, maybe single figures is do-able for me without working at it.

Next round: Gailes Hackers, 25/2.

Eag's
23rd February 2007, 03:04 PM
Nice shooting Andy :smt023
Still have no idea how you holed so many putts though.

Eag's
23rd February 2007, 03:08 PM
Played Nudgee South Single Stab today
I was happy how I was striking the ball today with the Driver and longer
clubs, but the short game sucked dogs balls :oops:

86 (33 pts)
10 Greens
8 Fairways
36 putts (4 bloody 3 putts :evil: )

9 Pars
4 Bogeys
3 Doubles
1 Triple
1 Quad :(

AndyP
23rd February 2007, 03:14 PM
Still have no idea how you holed so many putts though.
Followed Moe's putting advice, of course. How else? ;)

BrisVegas
23rd February 2007, 03:16 PM
My handicap will now be at an all time low of 10, and who knows, maybe single figures is do-able for me without working at it.

respect!

AndyP
23rd February 2007, 03:19 PM
I think those that are on teen plus handicaps and work their arse off for improvement could get shirty with my comments too.
I have no expectations though. This is nice while it lasts.

Eag's
23rd February 2007, 03:21 PM
I think those that are on teen plus handicaps and work their arse off for improvement could get shirty with my comments too.
I have no expectations though. This is nice while it lasts.

Good luck to you Andy things are going well mate :smt002
I would be one of those people who work my butt off, I just have to be
patient and it will happen :)

Grunt
23rd February 2007, 03:46 PM
Good work AP, just dont get the attitude that I copped from a 9 Marker today. HE thought I was not good enough to talk with. Was a real prick.

AndyP
23rd February 2007, 03:52 PM
Are you saying I'll be a prick if I hit single figures?

I noticed that steverawlo was a nicer guy than usual, playing off 10 today. Oh well, the niceness was shortlived, and now poidda will be a prick too.

I think I'll be fine, Grunter. I might be a bastard, but I'll never be a prick.

Grunt
23rd February 2007, 04:02 PM
Nah AP you will be will be fine. It is getting regular latley that low markers don't respect anyone not off single figures. This guy today was unbelieveable he talked during shots of hte other players and actually bagged me for not using driver on a couple of holes. He used the following quote a few times "I'd rather be in the shit 100m further down the hole than lay up."or keep telling us that he hits the ball 260m with the driver

PeteyD
23rd February 2007, 04:04 PM
No handicap reduction from this round but played solidly for me.

97 of the bat according to Golf Link.
39 putts on 17 holes (lots of 3 putts on those greens - but also from getting GIR but not near the flag)
6 GIR, 9/13 Fariways, still a lot of love for the FT-3.
1 Par, 10 Bogies, 5 dub and 1 trip (1 wash)

Grunt
24th February 2007, 01:17 PM
Played Macarthur Grange this morning and due to recent rains the course condition is improving.

Played ok nothing to note just a couple of poor holes ruined a good round.

32 points
6 Fairways
2 GIR
35 Putts
1/8 Up & Downs
2/5 Sand Saves

Oh well that is another week out of the way back to work tomorrow.

BrisVegas
24th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Monthly Medal today at Brookwater. Tees were back as far as I've seen them and the pins were "toight". I struggled.

84 gross for 78 nett
10 fairways
4 GIR!!
29 putts

jimandr
24th February 2007, 03:26 PM
Nah AP you will be will be fine. It is getting regular latley that low markers don't respect anyone not off single figures. This guy today was unbelieveable he talked during shots of hte other players and actually bagged me for not using driver on a couple of holes. He used the following quote a few times "I'd rather be in the shit 100m further down the hole than lay up."or keep telling us that he hits the ball 260m with the driver

Some low markers don't respect anybody, even other low markers. Some high markers don't respect other golfers either. Maybe you've just been unlucky with your playing partners recently.

I don't normally post my social rounds in this thread, but this is as good a place as any to describe my last 5 days of golf.

I've just enjoyed my almost regular February holiday, this time in Forster. Played Tuncurry, Muree and Tallwoods.

As far as the actual golf is concerned, I shot close to my handicap at each place, mainly due to my short game really coming together. My ball-striking wasn't much good, particularly off the tee, but seemed to be improving in the last game.

I can report that Tuncurry has come good again after a long period where the fairways were awful. The fairways were still a bit soft, but were nice to play from. This is a terrific course, and goes back into my top ten. Best $30 green fee course in NSW.

Tallwoods is known by many as a good course, but very hilly. It is still in good condition. The best thing was their twilight special rate of $25 after 3.00pm. While carts aren't compulsory, they are highly recommended due to the steep hills, so add that cost and it is still good value.

Muree is the course in the town of Raymond Terrace. I'd never played there before, and I enjoyed it. Not a long course, and it was a bit dry, but still worth a visit if you can't get a game at Pacific Dunes or Nelson Bay (they both had comps going the day I visited). However, Muree is a very strong contender for the steepest hillclimb up to the clubhouse on the 9th and 18th. Definitely steeper and longer than Camden Valley or the 18th at Coffs Harbour.

PeteyD
24th February 2007, 04:41 PM
Semi Final of the Salty's Cup match play.

Another big win to Pete 8/6. Only played the 12 holes and came home cos it was pretty bloody hot out there. Started with a nasty hook for 4 holes, no idea where it came fromand thankfully it went after the first 4 holes. 3/10 fariways, 2 GIR. 20 Putts (big improvemetn on yesterday so I will blame the greens at Nudgee). I had 4 pars, 4 bogies, 2 doubles and 2 Triples ( the holes I lost).

Medal next week. Final on March 17th. Looking forward to it.

AndyP
24th February 2007, 05:06 PM
Well done, Pete.

At +14 through 12 you're a bit under handicap. How bad was the other guy going?

Grunt
24th February 2007, 05:43 PM
Well Done Pete, keep it going.

PeteyD
24th February 2007, 06:38 PM
He wasn;t going too bad to start with. Started to feel the pressure a bit later. I have an advantage of getting some shots with the handicap match play, but only 4 today.

Flowergirl
24th February 2007, 07:50 PM
Well done on a great game Andy P. Way to go:mrgreen: And I don't think you're a prick:mrgreen:

Just a social 9 holes last night for a nice 43 - 6 over. Played with 2 guys off single figures who were very encouraging. Able to point out a few faults and praised me when I managed a good swing. Most of the time lately I've been playing with women off pretty high handicaps so it was nice to play with "better" players. Adopted the "speed not borrow" approach to my putting and putted a bit better.

Playing with John boy at Cape Schanck tomorrow. I like that course:mrgreen:

Courty
24th February 2007, 08:24 PM
Slopped around in the mud today. They need 20 peopple to make it an official comp, and my playing partner & I were 19 & 20. :roll:
It was very tough going with the ground so wet. It was preferred lies and probably should have been compulsory tee-up.
Somehow I managed to negotiate my way around without losing any balls to plugging. That still didn't help my score though. I had 29 points, but only just realised I forgot to hand my card in. I just found it when I took my clothes out of the washing machine. :roll:

Fishman Dan
25th February 2007, 08:09 AM

Not at all AP. It's a state of mind that comes with consistent good golf. I feel at the moment I could get to 12 in much the same vain. I'm playing good golf and feel like I'm capable of breaking every time I walk out there.

My round yesterday was a battle.

34 points (2 wipes). Both wipes were the par 5's :evil:

Plodded along all day to be at best 2 up and at times 1 down on the card. A chip in on 15 got me to square, hazard on 16 and made up'n'down for 2 points was kinda indicative of my luck. Struck my irons beautifully all day.

But the deciding moment was on 18 (par 5). A solid drive and I pulled the Rescue to knock it to 100 but hit it a little too well to be 75m in the middle. I don't have a 75m shot.

Tried a 3/4 wedge but pured it - a little left, over the fence and into the clubhouse. OB.

Moe Norman
25th February 2007, 09:22 AM
My handicap will now be at an all time low of 10, and who knows, maybe single figures is do-able for me without working at it. You appear to be playing once a week at a minimum - define 'working at it'

Jarro
25th February 2007, 09:32 AM
Maybe all the Dr.Bob crap is starting to sink in ???

BrisVegas
25th February 2007, 12:46 PM
Played Gailes today with the Hackers off the white tees.

74 gross for 68 nett (-5).
9 Fairways
8 GIR
26 putts

Didn't hit the ball all that well, especially off the tee with a few wicked pull-hooks. Chipped pretty well and holed everything.

Eag's
25th February 2007, 12:48 PM
26 Putts :shock:
Well done mate, 74 is still good shooting even of the whites :smt023

AndyP
25th February 2007, 01:30 PM
You appear to be playing once a week at a minimum - define 'working at it'Working on any faults or going to the driving range to practice. I average playing about once a week if you include the breaks I have.

Maybe all the Dr.Bob crap is starting to sink in ???Who?

Played Gailes today with the Hackers off the white tees.

74 gross for 68 nett (-5).
Nicely played, do other courses seem a bit easier now that you play Brooky all the time? You won with that score too, but thanks to your absence and Iain's (3rd), 5th place won some rocks. That was me.

BrisVegas
25th February 2007, 01:34 PM
Nicely played, do other courses seem a bit easier now that you play Brooky all the time? You won with that score too, but thanks to your absence and Iain's (3rd), 5th place won some rocks. That was me.

Not really. Just had a good day today with the putter. Glad you got some pills out of it. I had to go. Sandy had to go out at 1pm and I got baby duties. Didn't realise the round was gonna take so long!

AndyP
25th February 2007, 01:38 PM
Didn't realise the round was gonna take so long!Late start, plus notlob said the guys in front had a group of 5 after merging a 3 and a 2. I've come to expect it, but it can be a bit momentum stopping. If I didn't have good company, I reckon I'd go bonkers waiting.

goughy
25th February 2007, 01:59 PM
Played today. My stats for the round are nothing to write home about.
FIR 1/14, GIR 5/18, 57% U&D, 66% SS, 30 putts.
I really need to hit some fairways. Will be looking for a new 3 wood in the near future.

Funniest thing occured on my last hole (city's 9th). I had been hitting blocked cuts all day. Peteyd, DC and Terry probably won't believe it, but I only hit 2 shots all day left. And the last one was my drive on the 9th. I had finally decided to aim down the left side, and proceeded to hit one of those big big pull hooks (you guys will remember those). For those of you who know city gc well, my drive finished aobut 10mtrs in front of the ladies tees on the 10th fairway, About 70* to the left of my target. Looked pretty awesome (I had a good laugh). Hit a full 6 iron back over the 10th tee boxes to just reach the 9th fairway. Then onto the green for a 2 putt bogey. It was pretty funny, since I was a foot off rolling my 30 footer in for par.

But I broke my HC to par for the first time in 2.5 years.

I seriously need to hit some fairways. I just can't keep punching out then hitting the green with my next shot. It's too costly. Had 3 bogeys each nine, but through in a triple for good measure by not using my head.

Played with one of the slowest members, who I have played with before. Nice guy, but do you really need to plumb bob your drives, let alone chipping out from the trees. I wasn't putting too well early and he was telling me how I'm probably standing over the ball too long and just need to hit it. This from the guy who reads from every angle then has a nap between setup and stroke. He also suggested a few other things he feels I was doing wrong. I was quite happy with how polite I was.

amanda
25th February 2007, 03:42 PM
Was looking at the golf scores at the in-laws this morning and what do you know - I'm listed as the winner in the ladies comp at Riverside Oaks yesterday with 35 points :)

Strange - but when I looked at the results on Golflink (the new thing where you can click on the competition e.g. "Stableford" and it shows you all the scores) I'm in as equal 1st with another person - but only my name is listed in the paper.

Now - can I be bothered to go out there (1.5 hr drive) and pick up the prize? ;)

Eag's
25th February 2007, 04:04 PM
Well done Amanda :smt023

Grunt
25th February 2007, 04:13 PM
Well Done Amanda, Ozgolfers winning events has now become quite regular.

Coffs_Hacker
25th February 2007, 10:25 PM
Played a charity Golf day today in a 4person ambrose par 70 shot 63/55 for third place. Pick up a NTP on the way. Hard to keep track on my personal game but played prob the best game in avery long time.

Flowergirl
26th February 2007, 10:00 AM
Played Cape Schank with John yesterday. Boy - that was the worst I've ever seen him play. Oh boy:shock: It was hard to keep focused when we were spending half the day looking for his ball. Stubborn b@stard wouldn't put the driver away.
I played ok. Two silly mistakes cost me two triples - but apart from that hit ok. Shot a 89 - 3 over my handicap - but still happy with that under the circumstances. Putting was a lot better. :mrgreen:

Eag's
26th February 2007, 10:08 AM
Good to hear the putting is improving, keep it up Reenie :smt023

AndyP
26th February 2007, 07:13 PM
25/02/2007, Gailes GC, Hackers Social.

I don't record the stats for social or matchplay games, but I had a think back afterwards just to see how I went.
9/15 effective fairways.
4/18 effective approaches.
6/7 up and down successes.
2/8 sand saves (3 times not even escaping sand)
28 putts.
--------------
1 birdie.
7 pars.
5 bogeys.
5 doubles.
Score 43-44-87 nett 77 (Par 34-37-71).

My swing was slightly off yesterday, so I had to find another way to get to the hole. I hadn't been happy with my chipping lately, so I was very pleased with how it performed. And I also putted pretty well to back it up.

My worst shot of the day was when kpac and I were all square on the 8th (our 17th), and sitting on the fairway after our drives. I was about 10m behind and jokingly told kpac that was my strategy so I could stiff the approach and put all the pressure on him. I was just asking for the shank that followed, which gave me no hope on the hole after kpac put his on the front of the green.

My best shots were on the following hole, the par 5 9th, when I was 1 down and giving a shot. A flushed drive, flushed 3W off the deck, and a well struck wedge to the green were exactly what I needed.

Next round: Dunno.

BrisVegas
26th February 2007, 07:19 PM
My worst shot of the day was when kpac and I were all square on the 8th (our 17th), and sitting on the fairway after our drives. I was about 10m behind and jokingly told kpac that was my strategy so I could stiff the approach and put all the pressure on him. I was just asking for the shank that followed, which gave me no hope on the hole after kpac put his on the front of the green.

Is that why you came wandering out of the trees muttering something unintelligible?? I thought you'd gone in there for a wizz, but couldn't understand why you were so unhappy.:-?

AndyP
26th February 2007, 07:25 PM
I might have looked unhappy, because I looked down while taking the wizz and was once again disappointed by what I saw.

I was in pretty good spirits for the round, and had a lot of fun. But it would have been my choking that I was waffling about.

A lipped putt that would have put me 3up on the 5th, and probably safe, followed by three double bogeys, including the above described hole, to put me one down, certainly made things interesting.

just
26th February 2007, 07:31 PM
I might have looked unhappy, because I looked down while taking the wizz and was once again disappointed by what I saw.

What? Were you accidently wizzing on your ball?

Eag's
26th February 2007, 09:41 PM

Damn mate, I hope your missus dosen't say that :smt002

AndyP
26th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Do you think she cares anymore?

Eag's
26th February 2007, 09:53 PM
Do you think she cares anymore?

:lol:

amanda
2nd March 2007, 06:25 AM
Now - can I be bothered to go out there (1.5 hr drive) and pick up the prize? ;)
They called back to confirm I had won the comp (they weren't sure if the results in the paper were correct!)

The prize is 1 free game with cart + 6 golf balls - I'll have to go back now!

3oneday
2nd March 2007, 07:10 AM
Not a bad prize... do you get to choose a tee time ;)

amanda
2nd March 2007, 08:20 AM
Apparently I just call up and when I make my booking for whenever I just tell them when I won - will definitely be looking to get out early :D