PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past...

kwantfm
7th September 2004, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

Was wandering through the second hand section of Al's Golf Centre and found an old Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon (before Bridgestone relabeled itself as Precept) 10.5* R-flex Harmotec shaft. I used to own one when they first came out. They were the first super premium drivers in my memory... $576 in 1990! Beautiful head, beautiful shaft... I used to hit some screamers.

Anyway the sticker said $29... and it was in pretty good condition so SOLD!

Took it to the range and it is amazing how small this head seems. Smaller than any modern 7-wood. The golf ball looks absolutely enormous compared to the clubhead.

Modern drivers are definitely more forgiving and also hit the ball on a significantly higher trajectory, but when hit flush this driver can still get it out there. I figure that it will be a great practice club.

I love having it in the house!

McMw
7th September 2004, 04:31 PM
yes....the year Faldo won back to back Masters, Floyd and the Bear decided to flirt with a nostalgia win...and Jumbo making a killing with them that week!!!

and yeah….we have one (still do)…in Perth…belonged to my brother…didn’t see what was so special with it…had a better time with my Ping Eye Persimmon Driver instead… :D :wink:

kwantfm
7th September 2004, 04:41 PM
Mau,

I remember US Golf Digest doing some tests on the J's compared to a Big Bertha or other driver of that era. They found that the J's hit it 20 yards further above a certain swing speed... sort of like the Pro V1X effect.

The occasional big wallop was what I found special with this driver. Every now and then I'd just pure a drive and watch it go very long relative to my normal drives.

McMw
7th September 2004, 04:47 PM
yeah...read that magazine too....Dan Jenkins in his review of the Masters...didn't seem to care too much for it...

I'm not sure what it is, but did it have something to do with the insert foam they had in that head??? or was the J the Mother of HiCor Drivers??? :wink:

jaster
7th September 2004, 04:59 PM
That is amazing you bring this up kwantfm, I still have the 1990 Masters on tape where they go into legnth about how good this Bridgestone driver is that Jumbo Ozaki was using, Nickalus and Floyd put it in the bag and Floyd lost in a playoff to Faldo when he probably should have won it in regulation!

kwantfm
7th September 2004, 05:18 PM
Are we showing our age here?? :D

McMw
7th September 2004, 05:39 PM
not me....don't know abt u two jokers tho!!! :D