5th February 2007, 07:44 AM
Draw attached

BrisWesty
5th February 2007, 08:10 AM
Hey Shavey,
Is Wynnum the go for our matchplay?

BrisVegas
5th February 2007, 08:16 AM
Just - do you mind playing our match at Wynnum too? My next ozgolf game will prob be the MacLeod Cup, so I'm keen to get it outta the way this weekend if possible.

terryand
5th February 2007, 08:21 AM
Vegas can we play our 2nd round match at Easter when I'm down?

Terry.

BrisVegas
5th February 2007, 08:23 AM
geez mate, you're keen. I hadn't dared look that far ahead. I gotta give just a million shots around Brisbane's shortest course... I'll worry about that game first..

(Want a game around Brooky on Sat week before doing the aircon install?)

terryand
5th February 2007, 08:25 AM
Could be up for that.See how they come out at Wynnum first.

Terry.

PeteyD
5th February 2007, 08:39 AM
Tezz, don't worry about round 2 mate you got no hope.

terryand
5th February 2007, 08:50 AM
Tezz, don't worry about round 2 mate you got no hope.

Be afraid, be very afraid, I have nothing to lose not playing for so long. I'd hate to be the guy that got beaten by the guy that hasn't played in 6 months :mrgreen:

Terry.

PeteyD
5th February 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh woe is me! I'd hate to be beaten by the 27 mark choppa ;) :D

terryand
5th February 2007, 09:04 AM
Oh woe is me! I'd hate to be beaten by the 27 mark choppa ;) :D

No shame in that....

Your a copperhead winner :-s

dc68
5th February 2007, 09:13 AM
You still up to play our match Mr Gough?

PeteyD
5th February 2007, 09:19 AM
No shame in that....

Your a copperhead winner :-s

Dang that came round to bite me on the butt.

Jarro
5th February 2007, 09:23 AM
I'd hate to be beaten by the 27 mark choppa ;)

I'm having similar worries.

dc68
5th February 2007, 11:33 AM
Ha its allright for you guys what about getting beaten by a 3 time-a-year player? (who always seems to play close to his h'cap)

AndyP
5th February 2007, 11:42 AM
goughy can only play to his handicap for about 13 holes, so if you hang in there, the reward will come at the end of the round.

dc68
5th February 2007, 11:51 AM
I am just glad I am not playing you, as you seem to copy what I do for about 14 holes and by that time i would be f cuked.

just
5th February 2007, 05:31 PM
Just - do you mind playing our match at Wynnum too? My next ozgolf game will prob be the MacLeod Cup, so I'm keen to get it outta the way this weekend if possible.

Vegas

Happy to play at Wynnum and get done by someone of your calibre!

Just

PeteyD
5th February 2007, 06:35 PM
Updated to reflect then matches being played on Sunday

goughy
5th February 2007, 06:46 PM
goughy can only play to his handicap for about 13 holes, so if you hang in there, the reward will come at the end of the round.

Correction AP; I can play well under my hc for 13 holes, then blow the last 5 to finish somewhere around my hc. So as long as I was up by 6 at the 13th I'd be ok.

And DC, considering how rarely I get to play, let alone venture into your country, I'm up for this big time. Will be fun.

BrisVegas
5th February 2007, 07:29 PM
Vegas

Happy to play at Wynnum and get done by someone of your calibre!

Just

I'm looking forward to it mate. I might have gone ok at Wynnum last year, but I got touched up bigtime by gazgolf in my matchplay there the year prior. :shock:

Eag's
5th February 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm looking forward to it mate. I might have gone ok at Wynnum last year, but I got touched up bigtime by gazgolf in my matchplay there the year prior. :shock:

Dion, I remember that day well :smt002
Gaz was on fire and you didn't get a look in on the front 9, but you
made a huge comeback on the back 9 :shock:

I think you were 7 down at one stage if I recall??
Didn't you go down 2&1 in the end?

BrisVegas
5th February 2007, 07:38 PM
it was a 2 up win to gaz. he looked a little pale on the 17th green as i recall....

Eag's
5th February 2007, 07:51 PM
it was a 2 up win to gaz. he looked a little pale on the 17th green as i recall....

Ha Ha :smt002

BrisWesty
6th February 2007, 03:51 PM
Shavey, given it looks like we're in a group with ALo and Damoo, is it kosher to sledge our second round opponents (whoever of the 4 of us win or lose)?

goughy
6th February 2007, 09:19 PM
Sure. But just remember that Damo will correct your grammar!

shavey
6th February 2007, 11:48 PM
Nothing wrong with friendly banter except when it's personal.

But from all accounts, the only thing I might be worried about is the speed of play.

Looking forward to losing a new box of pro v's by the turn ;)

Always fun tackling a course for the first time when you are playing like a busted arse!

PeteyD
7th February 2007, 09:59 AM
Shavey..Wynnum is a one ball course. There is nowhere to lose a pill on that layout.

Not entirely true, there is a creek running through a couple of holes, and you can always go over the fence onto the road (or slice into someones yard on the first).

Moe Norman
7th February 2007, 10:12 AM
i lost 4 pills in my 42 putt 84 there last year.

admittedly 3 of them were when I made 9 on the par 3 with the stormwater drain.

poidda
7th February 2007, 10:22 AM
i lost 4 pills in my 42 putt 84 there last year.

admittedly 3 of them were when I made 9 on the par 3 with the stormwater drain.

Sheesh, you must have been blitzing the course other wise! There's 14 wasted shots right there for 12 over. Nice one! :???:

PeteyD
11th February 2007, 03:45 PM
Draw updated to reflect matches played today. Congratulations to Golfer69, Terryand, DC68, AndyLo and BrisVegas. The other two matches ended in a draw at 18 !!

Grunt
11th February 2007, 04:51 PM
Jarro, Is your butt sore? Looks as if you got a good ol' fashioned ass kicking.

goughy
11th February 2007, 04:55 PM
I think someone may have sconned him in the head a few times too.

3oneday
11th February 2007, 05:31 PM
Jarro, Is your butt sore? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bendoverandtakeitlikeaman !!!!

Jarro
11th February 2007, 05:38 PM
yeah yeah, lap it up you comedians :roll:

Rusty
11th February 2007, 05:41 PM
golflink's updated already!

Alo with 63 Net came in at 3rd, pipped by a 62 & 61
reduced from 22.6 down to 19.1!

Jarro
11th February 2007, 05:42 PM
Congrats ALo .. well played son.

AndyP
11th February 2007, 06:26 PM
Nice work by todays winners and tie-ees. Let's here some stories.

Moe Norman
11th February 2007, 06:35 PM
wow - thats quite a hiding.

Grunt
11th February 2007, 06:40 PM
Well Played Alo.

andylo
11th February 2007, 06:51 PM
I have done fair bit of preparation for the last 7 days, just for this matchplay. Majority is to able to keep my tempo the same anytime, anger management and general stamani.

When I knew damo's handicap is 24.. I was thinking "you gotta be kidding"

Although I got my 1 up on the 1st hole I already know I need to play exceptionally well to barely win this guy. He got a natural draw shape for his shot (very,very handy to play quite a few holes in Wynnum).

On the 2nd hole I try to play smart.... probably too smart. I lay up and hit my 4th shot (a pitch) to the green with the right length on the green but too much on the right, left myself a very very difficult putt back to square for a 7.

I believe I lost another 2 holes or so and damo got 2 up for a while. I drive ok, my approach is a bit weak which leave me lots of work to do around the green, and my putting isn't helping the situation.

But somehow I manage to control my temper and keep my tempo, when we finish 1st 9 holes I am on 3 or 4 up (I forgot)

On the 10th I sort of forget the tempo and I really pull one to the left (lucky I hit a provisional), still go left but at least it can be found. Got a 7.... control my disappointment, got a par and a win on 11 but lost another ball on #12 by not assess the hole carefully... and pay the price... got an 8, lost the hole.

But I still manage to control whatever I got it under control the rest of the holes and win the match play. :mrgreen:

Damo is one hell of opponent to beat. The win really helped my confident on my next match play. Thanks again Damian.

1st time ever got into 2nd round, I hope I can play even better on my 2nd round :)

BrisVegas
11th February 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the match just. Sorry you had a forgettable round and had to go down 8 & 6. Nobody wants to see a mate struggling out there. However, it was played in good spirits and hopefully we can get another hit together again soon. Cheers.

BrisWesty
11th February 2007, 08:39 PM
Double post

BrisWesty
11th February 2007, 08:41 PM
Shavey v BrisWesty

1st hole - regulation par for Shavey. BrisWesty loses ball right, hits provisional and bogeys that one for a (one putt) triple bogey.

2nd hole - Shavey almost screws himself into the ground with his tee shot and the ball hit the net on the left hand side of the tee. Whoever decided to put the tee in the middle of the worst part of the teebox deserves a spanking. Westy into trouble on the right again. Both on the green in 4 Shavey slides past the hole, Westy just slots a tricky left to right for the par and win. - square.

3rd hole - Shavey plays perfect golf and birdies it, BrisWesty settles for a one putt bogey.

4th hole - Shavey up the guts with a clear shot for the green. BW eventually catches up to Shavey's drive with his fifth shot. OOB etc. Shavey makes a lovely little up and down for par. BW settles for his one putt triple bogey. Shavey 2 up. Waste of a shot for BW.

5th - Shavey on the front of the green in 3 putt territory but almost drains the putt and taps in for par. BW misses right, chips over the green, chips back and putts for bogey. Shavey 3 up

6th - Shavey in the lip of the right bunker, doesn't get it out the first time and 2 putts for double. BW goes left behind a tree, has a 'dirt'y (the opposite of an airy) trying to pop the ball through a V in the trunk, succeeds the second time but chips over the green, chips on and surprise, surprise, one putts. Shavey 3 up, BW 10 over after 6 (and v unhappy).

7th - Both Shavey and BW par to halve the hole.

8th - BW & Shavey share 5s, but BW gets a shot. Shavey 2 up.

9th - Shavey on the back fringe, gets up and down for par. BW close to the water on the right, chips over the green, almost chips in and one putts.

After 9 Shavey 3 up. 37 off the stick. BW 46 off the stick with 9 putts!

10th Shavey almost drives the green. BW in the rough 100 out, sticks a wedge to 4m and drains it for birdie. Shavey chips just past the hole sucks in the big ones and halves the hole with his bird. BW visibly deflates.

11th BW in the front left bunker for 2. Shavey over the back for 2, but misses his chip eventually getting up and down for a 5. BW hits his putt from 12m, it's on line and tracking for the hole until it hits ALo's $2 coin marker and goes figuratively to 1st slip. Hole shared.

12th Less said the better. Both played like crap for bogeys but BW got a shot. Shavey 2 up.

13th - Both flirt down the left. Shavey goes over the green for 2, BW lays up and gets on in reg. Shavey gets a dirty lie and fails to get on in reg, chips on & 2 putts for bogey. BW 2 putts for par and all of a sudden there's only one hole in it.

14th - Shavey goes way left with driver, it looks OOB. Hits a provisional which also wasn't too flash. BW looks on, then hits some rubbish too to keep Shavey company. BW on the green in 3. Shavey finds his original ball just inside the fence. Has no shot in his normal stance, turns his club over and smacks it left handed about 50m onto the back fringe of the green pin high. "The man is a legend!" Then to add insult to injury, gets up and down for his par, and BW drops a shot with his 2 putt.

15th Shavey way right off the tee, BW just short of the green. BW chips close and sinks the putt for par. Shavey gets on eventually in 3 and 2 putts. Shavey's ball disappears at great rate of knots into the creek beyond the 16th tee.

16th. BW gets a shot here. Both on the green in reg. BW about 20m behind the pin putts down the roller coaster to tap in distance for the par. Shavey's birdie putt slides past the hole for a par each and it's all square with 2 to play.

17th Both hit good drives. Both tug our approaches left. BW dumps his lob wedge into the bunker, but scrambles up and down for bogey. Shavey chips past the hole and missed the return putt. All square.

18th Shavey launches his drive too well. It ended up unplayable in the creek, and he puts his 3rd onto the green to about 3m. BW chips on in reg to about 10m. BW has had 22 putts for 17 holes. Shavey hasn't drained anything for the day. BW drops his lipstick and leaves his first putt 2m short. Shavey pushes his putt right of the hole and finishes with bogey. BW pulls his putt left and bogeys too for his first 3 putt for the day - c h o k e.

All square after 18. Shall we play again or keep going? BW very quickly agrees to play another 18 (after the forgettable way he played the first last time).

Thanks for the game Shavey, a lot of fun played in great spirit, look forward to the return bout.

ALo played magic golf BTW. He thinks about CLo and forgets to overanalyse his golf. It worked! Damo, I'm glad it was you playing him and not me. Note he had a 7 and an 8 in his score of 83!

Moe Norman
11th February 2007, 09:24 PM
BW hits his putt from 12m, it's on line and tracking for the hole until it hits ALo's $2 coin marker and goes figuratively to 1st slip. Hole shared. I have to ask. If his marker was in the line to the hole, why didn't you move it?! Whether it was a$2 coin or a the flattest ball marker on the planet.

BrisWesty
11th February 2007, 09:36 PM
Didn't notice him put it down Moe.
A bit yin yang, a few weeks ago I'd had a birdie putt run off line and hit someone's flat marker only to get deflected back on line and into the hole.

shavey
11th February 2007, 10:06 PM
Great review thanks BW.

Very much looking to the return match.

Now we just have to find a suitable location for the next game!

Also thanks to Alo and Damo for what was a very enjoyable outing.

damoocow
11th February 2007, 10:21 PM
Do not want to dwell too much on what was a thrashing handed out by Alo the robot, too many painful memories !! - Andy played the most consistent round I think I have seen for ages - refused to get upset by any bad breaks[as few as they were] and any sledging made him play better !!...a well deserved win ...thanks Westy and Shavemeister - both of you kept smiling through a very tense match, great company and looking fwd to playing with you all again ...

damoocow

PeteyD
12th February 2007, 05:57 AM
Not much to say about my match. Tezza and I played pretty crap for most of it, going 1 up and 1 down a fair bit. We turned with me 1 up and that was when he decided to get serious and play some golf, and I was never really in it from there. It should have been 3/1 after 17 but his drive went missing.

Fishman Dan
12th February 2007, 11:20 AM
11th hole...both had a good old chop...jarro got unlucky with his approach..5 wins the hole and its handshake time..8 / 7.

Any pop-ups in that 8 & 7 loss?

Courty
12th February 2007, 12:13 PM

ROFL> :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jarro
12th February 2007, 12:46 PM

no pop-ups, but plenty of blocked tee shots :roll:

Was fun though.

Jarro
12th February 2007, 01:40 PM
bit late now mate ;)

How about a hearty Congratulations on your win !!!!

3oneday
12th February 2007, 02:02 PM
So.... has last years winner been decided yet ?????

Jarro
12th February 2007, 02:12 PM
not yet .. it's all a bit of a sham actually

peter_rs
12th February 2007, 02:32 PM
2006 matchplay....SHAM
POTY....SHAM
Moe winning putting award....SHAM.

POTY is for the people.... the purist have the stroke title.
06 match play.... is over stoney could not make the finial.
putting award... rules were set and moe won

your not a sore loser G69 ;)

Jarro
12th February 2007, 02:34 PM
i found post #60 required extreme use of spell-check to make any sense :shock:

3oneday
12th February 2007, 02:42 PM
your not a sore loose G69 ;)as opposed to a sore moose ;)

peter_rs
12th February 2007, 02:45 PM
+1

thankyou post #61

peter_rs
12th February 2007, 02:56 PM
reply to Post #64....

PeteyD
12th February 2007, 03:00 PM
A moose once bit my sister. Moose bites can be quite painful.

+1

dc68
12th February 2007, 03:13 PM
Roflmao

goughy
12th February 2007, 05:19 PM
Petey wins!

Fishman Dan
12th February 2007, 05:23 PM
A moose once bit my sister

Was she carving her name in it with an electric toothbrush?

Jono
12th February 2007, 06:05 PM
Terry vs Vegas should be a good second round match. 8)

Jono
12th February 2007, 06:08 PM
Jarro ... what went wrong? :(

Jarro
12th February 2007, 06:17 PM
Jarro ... what went wrong? :(

Couldn't hit a fairway to save my life :(

Hit the irons OK and putted not too bad.

Dicky just played fairly solid golf and didn't get into too much trouble ..... well, not until it was all over anyway ;)

AndyP
20th February 2007, 08:48 PM
PeteyD, can you add kpac to the draw to play against me please.

PeteyD
21st February 2007, 07:08 AM
oooh late entry. Ok just this once.

OK draw in the first post is updated. We need some sort of activity on some of these other matches peoples. Hopefully a few will go off at Macloed (Moe? How is the rehab going).

AndyP
21st February 2007, 08:19 AM
oooh late entry. Ok just this once.
You don't have to, if you don't want to start a precedent.

PeteyD
21st February 2007, 09:42 AM
As the match is being played on Sunday I have included it (and KPac has just joined so special dispensation)

kpac
21st February 2007, 09:45 AM
As the match is being played on Sunday I have included it (and KPac has just joined so special dispensation)

Thanks mate, andy problably just getting worried he'll get knocked out :mrgreen:

AndyP
21st February 2007, 10:01 AM
Considering your golflink record, I might have good reason to be worried. Are you a 21 capper or are you a burglar who has been practicing on the sly?
Fortunately I have local knowledge in my favour. It came in real handy when I had my 109+ at Gailes mid last year.

Moe Norman
21st February 2007, 10:12 AM
I will be making my comeback at Macleod, normally I don't like to play matchplay when playing strokeplay, but seeing as I have been slowing down the process I'd be happy to play whenever it suits my opponent.

AndyP
21st February 2007, 10:16 AM
It's McLeod, people, McLeod.

kpac
21st February 2007, 12:03 PM
Considering your golflink record, I might have good reason to be worried. Are you a 21 capper or are you a burglar who has been practicing on the sly?

21 is a fraction generous i am happy to admit. And i'd be happy to play off 19 if you wish (seeing that is what i generally play to..) I havent handed in a card for over a year, and i have to say i'd usual hit +18 19 20. And i'd be happy to drop my actual handicap for the purpose of honest play for this comp.
Having said this, i could VERY well hit 100+ and make a real ass of myself :-?

The reason i'm wanting to play more is exactly that, to get a legit handicap, which i can work at.

peter_rs
25th February 2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks to notlob (wayne) for letting me off the hook. ;)

I'm happy to say i won 3 & 2. The highlight of the match could be poidda's trash talk on the last :)

I had a 3 putt to win and i used all three of them.

AndyP
25th February 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Kent (kpac) for the match, it was very........interesting. We finished all square and we are going to do it all again.

I also feel like I have been let off the hook. I went from 2up with 4 to play and looking comfortable to Dormie on the 18th and giving a shot. I think I got a few let offs earlier on too (I won 5/11 holes where I gave a shot).

kpac will probably be a bit wiser on this matchplay caper next time round, so I'll have to play a bit better. I've gone from having a first round bye to playing two matches for the first round. I'm looking forward to it, whenever it is.

Grunt
25th February 2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks too for the game Shazz....at least you got further than Jarro.
I seem to now have an uncanny ability for my opponent to put in a years worst performance when up against me....which is nice.

What was the score for this match?

shazza_rs
25th February 2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks G69 for an enjoyable round of golf.... not!

I got two words for ya........ ;)

Nah, had the worst ball striking day ever i think..... i didn't have any rhythm in my swing at all. Was three down after the turn and then proceeded to lose 1,2,3 and be dormie 6 on 4. G69 obviously won the hole to win 7 and 5.

Good luck in the rest of the matchplay G69.

Grunt
25th February 2007, 06:18 PM
good to see a pleasant and good loser. Good work Shazza!

PeteyD
25th February 2007, 06:19 PM
We ahve our first Quarter Finalist.

Golfer 69 with 2 massive wins. He'll be lining up against Eags, Gaz or the Blake.

Thanks for getting those matches done so quickly.

Updated chart inserted here.

Eag's
25th February 2007, 06:50 PM
PeteyD, I only beat Iain 2 up not 3 & 2 :smt002

PeteyD
25th February 2007, 06:56 PM
Ack so you did. My bad ... was 3 and 2 Poidda / Steve's score?

Eag's
25th February 2007, 06:59 PM
Ack so you did. My bad ... was 3 and 2 Poidda / Steve's score?

Yes, I think so.

notlob
25th February 2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks to notlob (wayne) for letting me off the hook. ;)

I'm happy to say i won 3 & 2. The highlight of the match could be poidda's trash talk on the last :)

I had a 3 putt to win and i used all three of them.

Pete,
Congats on the win today. A game played in the best of spirits....maybe that was my problem! I suppose I should have drunk spirits the day before and been in simple physical condition as you? or maybe the trick is to fall off a golf buggy the day before!!!! Seriously I was disappointed neither of us played well and that I couldn't have put more pressure on you. On a positive it was first matchplay and I learnt so much I've probably forgotten it all already. All the best for the next round and I hope you play better than today.

gazgolf1
25th February 2007, 07:28 PM
Speaking of Blakey does anybody know if he is interested in the matchplay?
He has'nt visited the forum this year.

goughy
25th February 2007, 07:32 PM
I think the word of his interest was relayed through another. I doubt he would say he was in if he wasn't.

I haven't looked at the draw, but I'm guessing you're playing him gaz. Let me know if you need to get in touch with him.

I know he's been busy...

Eag's
25th February 2007, 07:35 PM
Speaking of Blakey does anybody know if he is interested in the matchplay?
He has'nt visited the forum this year.

Gaz, I think G69 runs into him now and then, maybe try getting in
contact with him that way?

gazgolf1
25th February 2007, 07:58 PM
Gaz,
Now that it could effect the timing of my future games I'll pester him about it.
He told me a few weeks ago to throw his name into the mix for the matchplay so if he renigs, i'll nut him.

Ta mate. :)

kpac
22nd March 2007, 04:54 PM
AndyP Vs Kpac 22/3/07 rematch
- Well we decided to have another round to decide the victor, seeing we couldn't be split on our last encounter.
- Wouldn't you know it, after another 18 holes, we are still all square. And are going to go at it all over again to see if 54 holes can decide it.

AndyP
22nd March 2007, 05:02 PM
Nice work by us. I've gone from having a bye in Round 1 to playing at least 54 holes to get through or get knocked out.

I started playing really well on the shorter front nine, and kpac was taking drops (which I didn't let him have for free) and penalties all over the place. I got out to 4up at one stage before kpac got his act together on the longer back nine playing some good bogey golf, and I dropped off a little and struggled to keep up.

Despite leading all day, giving a shot on the last after leading all day had me thinking I was gone. So I'm glad to have escaped, as I'm sure kpac is.

Looks like we'll probably do it all again at McLeod.

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 07:02 PM
you guys ever heard of a playoff hole?

AndyP
22nd March 2007, 07:05 PM
What for? That would be nowhere near as much fun.

Grunt
22nd March 2007, 07:31 PM
AP you may end up playing more holes in the first round than the winner of the NSW Matchplay has had to play for the championship.

goughy
22nd March 2007, 07:46 PM
He could play more holes in the first round than the winner of the nsw matchplay and be a first round loser!

Jarro
22nd March 2007, 08:01 PM
**yawn**

AndyP
22nd March 2007, 08:45 PM
It's worth noting that when kpac was 4down, his inspiration to comeback was to not have a banner of shame.

Jarro
22nd March 2007, 08:48 PM
It's worth noting that when kpac was 4down, his inspiration to comeback was to not have a banner of shame.

yeah, i wouldn't want a Hawthorn banner either :p

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 09:19 PM
He could play more holes in the first round than the winner of the nsw matchplay and be a first round loser! Being a first round loser doesn't always preclude one from making the finals ;)

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 10:39 AM
The Kooralbyn cards didn't have a matchplay index on them, so having to give 11 shots, kpac got shots on every 2nd hole and we decided 5 and 13 for the other two.

PeteyD has since looked at the standard match index and determined that those two extra shots should have been on 7 and 11, not 5 and 13. A recount finds that I actually won 1up. Sorry kpac, what can I say? Better luck next time. :neutral: :lol:

Moe Norman
23rd March 2007, 10:51 AM
the bait fell off the hook

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 10:57 AM
It's easy to ignore posts. Some others should try it sometimes.

kpac
23rd March 2007, 11:20 AM
*temptation to vent still evident (must go work before posting and getting reeled in!)*

goughy
23rd March 2007, 07:16 PM
Actually, I always thought that in matchplay, if a mistake is made and on the course but neither partner picks it up, and then the match finishes, hands are shaken and you leave the course, then the result will stand.

At least that's how I thought it worked with matchplay. It is just between the two competitors.

So I would think that the match is a draw and time for another 18 ;)

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 07:31 PM
I never shook the prick's hand.

kpac
23rd March 2007, 07:34 PM
No free-be being given out here goughy. I made sure i said to AndyP before we tee'd off if he was happy with the matchplay format and he said he was. Add that with, your point of if not being pointed out at the time it stands :) ... So he'll have to beat me the long way ;)

kpac
23rd March 2007, 07:34 PM
That's not fair, that made it look like i bit the hook, yet i was typing at the same time and... and.... oh.....!

Grunt
23rd March 2007, 07:38 PM

Ohh. Tell us what you really think AP.

goughy
23rd March 2007, 07:50 PM

I'd like to say that it seems someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning; but he's probably been up all night with the little holden!! :evil:

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 07:53 PM
Don't be so gullible, McFly.

kpac
23rd March 2007, 07:55 PM
Don't be so gullible, McFly.
i was typing at the same time, that doesn't count :(

goughy
23rd March 2007, 07:56 PM
I don't know who your calling McFly, so I'll just answer it.

If I'm McFly, then that makes you Biff. And if I remember correctly he always ends up a loser.

That's Loo hoo, hoo ser!! :)

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 08:00 PM
I was calling you McFly, goughy, and I won't be dragged down to your level, stinky bum.

kpac, what was in your first reply pre-edit?

goughy
23rd March 2007, 08:11 PM
I was calling you McFly, goughy, and I won't be dragged down to your level, stinky bum.

The only way you would know if I had a stinky bum or not was if your nose was in it, brown noser...

Just hand on a minute AP. I need to go ask jasmine if she knows of any other names I can call you. I'm not up on my 5 year old name calling you seemto have started.

Ok, she said I should also call you a Poo Poo Head. Heck, it even fits if you've been brown nosing :)

kpac
23rd March 2007, 08:12 PM

kpac, what was in your first reply pre-edit?

nah, same with off spelt 'of'

PeteyD
24th March 2007, 02:24 PM
Don't talk to them Francis they are poo poo hands.

Rusty
4th April 2007, 04:02 PM
well, Perci and i played out our little matchplay today at Nudgee, single stroke...

so Perc invites me to tee off first and after being really happy with my straightish driving, i proceed to slice it out into the water. hmm... this is going to be a fun day, not. Perc obliges by hooking. ofcourse, Jarro, straight down the middle - great drive. Perci and i both end up bogeying the hole. mmm... not so bad. thinking to myself while walking to the 2nd tee, "relax, relax".

2nd, i pull drive left into trees, Perci goes right into trees. i get up to near the green for 2, i'm thinking "good, keep calm, Perci's lost his first". then i proceed to do all sorts of weird chips and putts for an 8. aaarrrggghhh! Perci, 1 up

3rd, par 3, P goes into the front bunker. i hit mine down the right, possibly in the hazard. i'm thinking as i walk to up "please be out of the hazard" and there it is - safe! thank god for that. ofcourse, P with a mongrel bunker shot to play, is not fazed, and puts it REAL close. hmmm... i chip close too, we both sink out putts.

then E, P 1 up, E. ok, 7th we're starting again...

so to cut it short, Perci was having problems off the tee, and early on spending a bit of time in the greenside bunkers. i was a bit over the place. had some good chips and sank some putts, but then missed others. i was 2 up starting the 16th, which we both bogeyed, but i had a shot, so it was over, 3 and 2.

thanks Perc and Jarro. was a great day for golf that's for sure. pity we all didn't play a little bit better.

Flowergirl
4th April 2007, 04:20 PM
Congrats Rusty.........well played:mrgreen: Sounds like my pennant games - up and down - good and bad:roll:

AndyP
4th April 2007, 04:48 PM
What's this secret match business?

Bad luck, perci. Well done, Rusty. You'll be getting an OZgolfer on their fourth match of the year in your next round.

perci
4th April 2007, 08:29 PM
Well played Rusty,i don't think you will be off 16 to much longer,keep up the good work.On the other hand i'll be off 16 soon if i don't start hitting some fairways,only hit 2 and 1 of those was with my hybrid,but an enjoyable day all the same thanks guys.

goughy
4th April 2007, 08:39 PM
Well played Rusty,i don't think you will be off 16 to much longer,keep up the good work.On the other hand i'll be off 16 soon if i don't start hitting some fairways,only hit 2 and 1 of those was with my hybrid,but an enjoyable day all the same thanks guys.

Welcome to my world! I'd shake your hand but I need them to move another tree branch out of my way.

Look at it this way, more time spent in the trees is less time getting sunburnt in the hot sun 8)

BrisVegas
14th April 2007, 01:54 PM
Terry def BrisVegas 6 & 5. Terry played great (for a part-time golfer) and was simply too good on the day. Just to put the result beyond doubt, I played my worst round in months. Congrats Tez. Drive safe this arvo mate.

AndyP
14th April 2007, 06:08 PM
The epic matchplay finally ends on the 52nd hole.
AndyP def kpac, 3 and 2 at McLeod GC after being all square at Gailes and Kooralbyn.

Today's match seemed to follow the trend of our other matches, where I started out strong (3up thru 4 today) and then had to struggle to fight kpac off on the back nine (1up thru 10). As is the case with all matches we could both look back and think about missed opportunities, me to close out, kpac to make it tighter. Fortunately for me, I finally got over the line. The two extra shots I received today, compared to the first two matches probably helped too.

Things of note from the match:
My parring of the first 4 holes (and 7 of the first 8) to put the pressure on early.
kpac's miracle square on the par 4 15th (our 6th) after hitting off the tee for his third and still making bogey.
On the par 5 3rd (our 12th), I hit an absolute shocker off the tee from the heel of the driver into the water hazard. It turned out that it was just sitting on the mud. After taking onboard the advice from my playing partners and the voices in my head, I decided to have a crack at it (it was also a hole where I was giving a shot, otherwise I would have taken the drop). I proceeded to top the ball and bury the ball about a foot into the mud. Once we suspected that that was what happened, I got to digging with my 6 iron (I almost gave up on finding it, it was so far down).Thanks for accepting my invite to join in the matchplay, Kent. I like OZgolf matchplay because it gives me the opportunity to play matchplay, because I can't at my club. I got a little more than I bargained for, but it was great fun. :D

kpac
14th April 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah nice win andy. You played decent stretches of very good golf today mate. My putter let me down too often today, only putt of decent length that i sunk was after the result was finalised. I actually thought the rest of my game was alright (only one rough drive), just wasn't leaving the pitches close enough or the long putts as tap ins. It did get pretty close there for a while. I also found the course pretty tough actually, long par 3's dont sit well with me and there are plenty out there...
Never the less the match was a good one there was some quality golf this time for a change.

BrisWesty
14th April 2007, 08:36 PM
Shavey v BrisWesty - BrisWesty won 6/5.

It didn't help Shavey's cause that he went residential on the 11th & 4th, or 2 putted from 6" on the 1st, or 4 putted the 2nd.

I played solid golf especially while the match play was on - 39 on the back, 45 on the front. That said there's still something wrong with the concept of triple bogeying a hole to halve it in order to win the game.

7 fairways, 5 GIR, 28 putts and hopefully noone got closer than the 75cm approach on the 5th.

And Blakey - sorry about almost cleaning you up with that knifed PW on the 18th.

Shavey, Vegas and Tezza - thanks for a fun (almost hysterically funny at times) morning.

Worst thing about the day was getting flashed by the cops on the way home.

Jarro
14th April 2007, 08:47 PM
Worst thing about the day was getting flashed by the cops on the way home.

Was that the one at the base of Mt. Coo-tha ??

If it was, i'm pretty sure they got me too :(

Choppa
14th April 2007, 09:10 PM
Choppa v SteveRawlo - Choppa won 6/4

Thanks for the match Steve, but it seems that my ploy to get you drunk the night before worked a treat.
I played some decent golf today, but Steve was definitely out of form. 6 shots is a lot to give away too, and I made the most of them today!

Ok, who do I have to get drunk next ;)

Rusty
14th April 2007, 09:41 PM
The epic matchplay finally ends on the 52nd hole.
AndyP def kpac, 3 and 2 at McLeod GC after being all square at Gailes and Kooralbyn.

i heard there was an issue of preferred lies and therefore a rematch was to be played.... :-k

AndyP
14th April 2007, 09:44 PM
Do you prefer redheads to brunettes?

Sounds like you are worried about your next opponent to me.

Rusty
14th April 2007, 09:46 PM

gees Chopps, you've got pretty good Golflink consistency for not playing much golf. today you certainly were on fire.

Rusty
14th April 2007, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you are worried about your next opponent to me.

i just wanted them to have as much matchplay experience as they felt they required, before giving me the appropriate number of shots.

markTHEblake
14th April 2007, 10:39 PM
The 2005 Grand Final Replay

Blake d. Gazgolf 5/3
same score but result reversed - we are even now :mrgreen:

We both played some decent golf with some ugly stuff thrown in, luckily for me, my ugly golf was reserved until after the match was completed.

Play of the day.

12th hole (our 3rd) 165m par 3 with a dirty stinken mother of tree in the way.

Blake -1- hits tree in the guts and ricochets short right and just stays in bounds
Gaz -1- Hits into greenside bunker nearest side to pin.
Blake - takes preferred lie, marks ball with $2 coin and has quick look at pin, and returns to mark and cant find coin anywhere. :oops:
Macca steps in spots coin from 20ft (typical scotsman)
Blake -2-crap pitch into Gaz's Bunker - buried deep up near the lip - :x
Gaz -2- has got this hole sewn up here, all he has to do is get it out.... HITLER :smt087
Gaz -3- blades bunker shot over back of green.:smt013
Gaz -4- chips back onto green, about 10ft
Blake -3- helplessly digs ball out, onto the fringe
Blake -4- 20 ft snake from the fringe, - bogey and 2 up :smt023

apart from that, there wasnt really much excitement.

PeteyD
15th April 2007, 06:12 AM
Good thing Macca was in your group Mark, and that you used $$ for a marker :D Only thing he would spot faster would be food.

AndyP
15th April 2007, 06:35 AM
same score but result reversed - we are even now :mrgreen:
Grand Final and a first round. I know which of the two matches I would have preferred to win. ;)

Well done to all of the matchplay winners of the day.

I'd still prefer not to play a match on a big event like the McLeod Cup, as it really detracted from my strokeplay score. But considering we'd already played twice, and needed our match played, I couldn't be too picky.

Here's an interesting stat from my epic match. Of the 52 holes we played, kpac only had the lead for 2 (our 9th and 17th at Gailes first time around), I led for 41 holes and we were square for 9. :shock:

steverawlo
15th April 2007, 07:45 AM

Well played yesterday mate. You were hitting that driver bloody well and with me spraying them all over the place off the tee, I was never a show. If you played more often you'd be on single figures pretty quickly I reckon.

terryand
16th April 2007, 08:18 AM
I'm a chance to come down for the Nudgee Plate on the 17th of June. It would be good if I could aim for my next match there.

AP, any chance you and Rusty could play your match before this.The next trip down after this is July 19-23, but that is for the V8's, so I will be at the track all weekend and no chance for a w/e game.

Terry.

PeteyD
16th April 2007, 08:42 AM
OK only first round left is Moe v Azza I think. Has anyone heard from Azza??

I will update the draw with the results tonight (hopefully!)

3oneday
16th April 2007, 09:11 AM
Who won the 2006 Matchplay again ?

:p

AndyP
16th April 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm a chance to come down for the Nudgee Plate on the 17th of June. It would be good if I could aim for my next match there.

AP, any chance you and Rusty could play your match before this.The next trip down after this is July 19-23, but that is for the V8's, so I will be at the track all weekend and no chance for a w/e game.
Considering the combined availability of Rusty and myself, I doubt that it would be a problem.........................unless we tie a few times. ;)

Shavey

(I just haven't told him yet)

Moe Norman
16th April 2007, 10:01 AM
I'm ready to play - haven't heard from Azza as yet.

Rusty
16th April 2007, 04:13 PM
Considering the combined availability of Rusty and myself, I doubt that it would be a problem.........................unless we tie a few times. ;)

yep, ready to go. anywhere other than Nambour and Colonial :smt023

AndyP
16th April 2007, 04:15 PM
yep, ready to go. anywhere other than Nambour and Colonial :smt023Even though I haven't played at Colonial?

We'll sort something out. I like to play my matches at different venues. I haven't doubled up yet.
Tez - Bribie Island
steverawlo - Oxley
Davemason - Nudgee
BrisWesty - Windaroo
Stoney - Pacific
kpac - Gailes, Kooralbyn, McLeod
:D

Jarro
16th April 2007, 04:19 PM

I'll SMS the man and see what he's up to ;)

PeteyD
16th April 2007, 07:21 PM
OK the draw has been updated with the recent results. Some interesting match ups coming, Blake vs Eags and Nudgee vs Peter_RS should be rippers.

Moe Norman
16th April 2007, 07:32 PM
ffs, even if I win, I then have to play mr consistent next. Even getting him hammered the night before doesn't help.

dc68
17th April 2007, 08:24 AM
What? Mr consistently bad? We can swap 13 pars each and a triple and 4 doubles Moe coz it sounds like we are playing a lot alike at the moment. ;)

Moe Norman
17th April 2007, 08:35 AM
last time we came head to head you started birdie, birdie, birdie and I started double, double, birdie.

I'm still recovering.

dc68
17th April 2007, 08:53 AM
It was the putter and if I remember correctly I feel to pieces after that and shot 78 or 79. Very consistent hmmmmmm.

Rusty
17th April 2007, 02:18 PM
Even though I haven't played at Colonial?

We'll sort something out. I like to play my matches at different venues. I haven't doubled up yet.
Tez - Bribie Island
steverawlo - Oxley
Davemason - Nudgee
BrisWesty - Windaroo
Stoney - Pacific
kpac - Gailes, Kooralbyn, McLeod
:D

um... gee, that's narrowing the field. maybe time to revisit a course? you can go to a new club on your next match :-s ? Sunday 29th April is ok for me. Gailes and Nudgee both have single stableford.

AndyP
17th April 2007, 02:26 PM
I'm off golf for the next couple of weeks, then I'll be on the Coast for the Labour Day weekend. I also need to give you some time to slice some more of that handicap. ;)

How does Toowoomba City in mid/late-May sound? Just throwing it out there, because I intend to have a round up there at some stage soon anyway. I'm sure goughy could come out and play.

BTW the winner of our match will supposedly be playing Tez at the Nudgee Plate. Do you want all of your matches there?

There's plenty of other options though, including Gailes.

Jarro
17th April 2007, 02:32 PM
Play him at Nudgee AndyP, you have plenty of room to spray your driver there ;)

Rusty
17th April 2007, 02:36 PM
I'm off golf for the next couple of weeks, then I'll be on the Coast for the Labour Day weekend. I also need to give you some time to slice some more of that handicap. ;)

How does Toowoomba City in mid/late-May sound? Just throwing it out there, because I intend to have a round up there at some stage soon anyway. I'm sure goughy could come out and play.

BTW the winner of our match will supposedly be playing Tez at the Nudgee Plate. Do you want all of your matches there?

There's plenty of other options though, including Gailes.

Toowoomba sounds interesting. i just need to take Pete or Shazz_RS, as they seem to be my good luck charm when 1st time playing courses. ;)

don't mind if another match is played at Nudgee. it seems to hold good potential for both of us, and so might make a very interesting match.

AndyP
17th April 2007, 02:57 PM
Play him at Nudgee AndyP, you have plenty of room to spray your driver there ;)
Don't need it if it goes like it did on Saturday. Plus I've seen how Rusty handles the trees, so the more trees the better. :lol:

Rusty, we can work it out a bit closer to May. It would be good if a few other OZgolfers could join us as well.

BrisWesty
17th April 2007, 03:03 PM
Oh crumbs, I just realised I've bagged GoLo in the next round!

AndyP
17th April 2007, 03:05 PM
We could all even play at Beerwah or Woodford. A-Lo is always telling me he wants to play Beerwah again.

I don't know what Rusty is talking about with narrowing the field. The options are endless. ;)

PeteyD
17th April 2007, 03:09 PM
just don;t play him at a cup, plate or trophy and all is good

Jarro
17th April 2007, 03:15 PM
I'll be in a Beerwah round again 8)

PeteyD
17th April 2007, 03:32 PM
I'd be keen if it is a sunday

BrisWesty
17th April 2007, 04:28 PM
Woodford is $7 to play in the comp on a Sunday. You can't beat that in SEQ for value can you?

PeteyD
17th April 2007, 09:02 PM
nope Sounds like a plan.

Rusty
19th April 2007, 10:19 AM
yep AP, looking like May now. the more the merrier. Beerwah sounds good.

now, i just have reread that thread on when's the next cup, plate or trophy in SEQ...

3oneday
2nd May 2007, 01:28 PM

Shavey

(I just haven't told him yet)or the bloke he didn't play for it ???

:lol:

AndyP
2nd May 2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it's outta control now that PeteyD is in charge of matchplay. I'm glad it's not my problem.......

PeteyD
2nd May 2007, 01:41 PM
got nothing to do with last years debacle.

Jarro
2nd May 2007, 02:09 PM

I received notice from Azza that he is still keen to play this match, and he'll be in touch with you soon Moe 8)

terryand
2nd May 2007, 05:59 PM
Ap,Rusty, are you any closer to a date for your match?

Terry.

AndyP
2nd May 2007, 09:00 PM
Nothing confirmed, but Beerwah on the Queens Birthday weekend is a chance.

Rusty
3rd May 2007, 02:01 PM
yep Tez we've been talking about it since McLeod.

AP just thinking it may be prudent of me to take the other half away for the long weekend before i go off by myself to China. so maybe Sunday 13 May (Mothers Day), 27 May or 3 June. i know you're keen to play a different course for each of your matches, but was going to suggest Gailes - seems pretty lush at the moment + can be good or bad for both of us depending on how we're playing.

AndyP
3rd May 2007, 02:46 PM
I may be available for the latter two weekends and be in Brisbane.
I think you are obsessed with Gailes, but it could be do-able. :p

azza
3rd May 2007, 07:43 PM

Moe, we can play our match at the Nudgee Plate.

AndyP
15th May 2007, 01:07 PM
Locked in.

Matchplay Round 2, AndyP vs Rusty.
Saturday, June 9. Mt Coolum GC.

--------------------

Any chance that the Moe v azza match can be played sooner instead of a month away? By the time the Nudgee Plate comes around, the match will be nearly 2 rounds behind.

Moe Norman
15th May 2007, 03:51 PM
i've indicated that I'm available any saturday that he wants to play - he's a hard man to catch.

Moe Norman
29th May 2007, 08:04 AM
Unfortunately Azza has conceded, we can pay at Nudgee but then he would be unavailable for a long period after that again.

So I guess I'll play Dave the Fatman at Nudgee.

Last time we went head to head he started birdie, birdie, birdie and I started double, double, birdie :(

PeteyD
29th May 2007, 08:36 AM
I will do an update this week. Azza conceeding is the last of the first round, and I think most of the 2nd round will be out of the way after the Nudgee Plate.

dc68
29th May 2007, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately Azza has conceded, we can pay at Nudgee but then he would be unavailable for a long period after that again.

So I guess I'll play Dave the Fatman at Nudgee.

Last time we went head to head he started birdie, birdie, birdie and I started double, double, birdie :(

gee Moe thanks for the kind words. I am not playing Nudgee I have club
champs starting that day. I have slipped out to 6 too Moe. Headed for 7 with a bullett.

Moe Norman
29th May 2007, 09:54 AM
6??!?!

you f#cking burgular - we'll be playing off the stick.

How about Indro in a couple of weeks then? Or RQ week after the plate?

I need some home track advantage.

dc68
29th May 2007, 09:58 AM
How about somewhere where we both play sh!t? I suck at par 3's so RQ is out. Indro might be the go at least I know most of people who work in the shop so I might get a discount ;).

dc68
29th May 2007, 11:03 AM
Moe? Neutral venue, It's been about 100 years since I played there.

Moe Norman
29th May 2007, 11:11 AM
sounds ok to me, put up some potential dates and let me know

AndyP
9th June 2007, 04:18 PM
Locked in.

Matchplay Round 2, AndyP vs Rusty.
Saturday, June 9. Mt Coolum GC.
Result - All square.

There was some good golf and some shocking golf, but in the end neither could declare that they were the best or worst. I did, however, find it amusing that Rusty beat me off the stick by 4 shots.

A replay (my fifth match of the year) is tomorrow at Beerwah.

goughy
9th June 2007, 04:24 PM
Jeeze andy, your getting the most value for money out of the matchplay aren't ya!!!

AndyP
9th June 2007, 04:28 PM
Considering that I was meant to have a bye in the first round, yes.

Both of our clutch up & downs with tough putts on 18, is what it is all about and why we have the OZgolf matchplay. :D

goughy
9th June 2007, 07:09 PM
So, with 5 matches so far does that mean we declare you 2006 matchplay champion??

AndyP
10th June 2007, 08:17 PM
I thought I'd do a Westy-style rundown of the matchplay contest I had with Rusty. Sorry if it's a bit long, but it's not like I can finish a matchplay within 18 holes........

Mt Coolum (The battle)

1: Two errant drives, but Rusty plays a safe recovery, while I dump mine in the water. Rusty 1up.

2: Both miss the green with relatively short approach shots. Rusty chips closer than I do, but misses a putt he feels he should have got. Halved. Rusty 1up.

3: Once again it came down to the short game, with two missed greens, but I win on this occasion. All square.

4: Rusty gets a shot here on this 543m par 5. Both of us have to hit hybrid/woods into the green, I miss right behind trees, Rusty misses left. My chip fails to run on through the slop. Rusty lobs over the bunker, and with one bounce it drops in the hole. Rusty 1up.

5: 192m par 3. Another short game battle. Rusty get up & down, I don't. Rusty 2up.

6: Rusty gets a shot on another par 5. His second shot disappears into the water, and doesn't recover enough to beat my par. Rusty 1up.
7: Rusty struggles on this hole going right, then left, then airmailing the green. My careless bogey is enough. All square.

8: Par 3. I hit it on the green, Rusty doesn't, and fails to get up & down. AndyP 1up.

9: Long par 4. Both of us finish short of the green with our approaches with woods. I hit a fat chip, followed by a knife into the back trap. Rusty probably got up and down. No contest. All square at the halfway point.

10: Both of us get it on the green of the par 3, then pump our first putts down the tier too long. We also then make good putts back to halve. All square.

11: Rusty has an errant drive down the right, that finishes in the trees. He's never able to get away from the right, and a careless 3 putt bogey by me knowing the hole is won is enough. AndyP 1up.

12: Par 3. I miss left, while Rusty hits the green. A good chip and putt save me from losing the hole. AndyP 1up.

13: Rusty gets a shot on another par 5. Both of us hook it into the scrub and I recover slightly better for us to be sitting at 4 and 5 shots apiece 180-190m out (so it is even with the shot given). I opt for a 3W (inspired decision :roll:) and put i t straight in the hazard right. Rusty still decides to go with a wood, but misses to the safer left side. My attempted hero shots don't save me and Rusty's 8 beats my 10. All square.

14: Par 3. I miss left but safe, while Rusty puts it into the hazard. He takes a drop and puts his chip close, while I leave mine short and 2 putt. For me, a disappointing half. All square.

15: Another shot to Rusty. Guess what? It's a par 5. Rusty blows another shot hole, while I have a solid par. AndyP 1up.

16: I miss right short, while Rusty falls short of the narrow par 3. I fall short again with the chip (Rusty looking good for the hole), while Rusty puts his too far past and leaves a tough downhill putt. My next chip hits the flag and gets rejected (I think it would have gone in without the flag), and leaves me a tap-in bogey. Rusty's first putt down the hill gathers speed and goes miles past (I'm looking good for the hole), however he makes a great putt back and it's halved. AndyP 1up.

17: Short par 5. Two differing 2nd shots here. My 6I safe shot to the corner, fades right and is pushed by the wind into the trees on the corner of the dogleg to the green. Rusty decides to take on the water and bunker carry from 190m for his second shot and hits a superb shot which hits the green and runs just off the back. I'm shocked that he even went for it. I now I have to go for it now, and try for an ambitious shot through the trees to the green, which clips some branches and plonks in the water. Rusty pars to make it all square heading down the last.

18: 275m par 4. Rusty puts his T-shot slightly right, but with access to the green, I hit down the centre. Rusty gets his approach onto the false front of the elevated green, and sees it roll back off. I push my approach right yet again. Rusty then puts the pressure on me by running his chip nicely to a couple of metres past the hole. I manage not to choke, and lob it a couple of metres short. I get to go first and nab the clutch putt to put it back on Rusty. He's up to it and unbelievably I have another tied match.

Beerwah (the beating)

19: Both drives look pretty good, but Rusty has gone thru the corner of the dogleg. I put my 4 iron on the green (nice start), and Rusty finds the water from the trees. AndyP 1up.

20: Short par 3 to a temp green. I'm up first and I'm baffled by the distance, as there is no sign for the distance to the green. It messes with my head and I hit it super-fat. Rusty knocks it on to the tiny temp green, while I pitch it past, and chop it around. All square.

21: Both approaches miss, mine long, Rusty left. Rustys has a good up & down, I fail. Rusty 1up.

22: Rusty gets a shot on a short par 4. Although I pull my drive left and Rusty is straight, I manage a GIR as does Rusty. Neither of us make the putts, but both par. Rusty 2up.

23: Par 3. Rusty sprays his T-shot left, while mine is straighter, but just short. Rusty's ended up on the fringe and chips to just past the hole, while I manage to finish outside him and miss the putt and the one hand attempt at a tap in. While I trudge away, Rusty knocks in his par putt. Rusty 3up.

24: Rusty hits his drive down the middle again, while I pull one left. I hit my approach from the trees fat, while Rusty misses the green left. My approach from 75m is just short of the pin. Rusty gets up & down, while I make the putt, and hold off Rusty's run. Rusty 3up.

25: Rusty middle, me left again on a par 5, however we are both in alright position for our approaches. He just goes through the green, while I spray mine right and long. Rusty gets up & down for par again (as I'm beginning to expect by now) and I don't. Rusty 4up.

26: Rusty has a shot on this par 5. See previous 2 holes for T-shot results. I manage a bogey, which is nowhere near good enough for Rusty's regulation par, which makes 7 pars in a row (+2 off the stick). Rusty 5up thru 8.

27: Rusty plays conservatively up the fairway, while I take on the bunkers with the driver and succeed. Rusty's approach goes right into the bunker, while I manage to miss another green, this time long. Rusty leaves his first in the trap, but gets the second out pretty close, then gets the putt. I was left with a testing putt after my chip, but manage to bookend the nine with wins :roll:. (jarro is getting SMSs by this stage) Rusty 4up.

28: I take advantage of my T-shot on the toughest hole on the course by blowing my drive right. On coming back from filling my water bottle, I find Rusty's T-shot sitting in the middle of the fairway in "the mayor's office". Where else would it be? He gets yet another par (8 in 10) to stretch his lead. Rusty 5up.

29: I drive down the middle of this par 5, while Rusty has a rare venture left. I hit my hybrid down the guts, while Rusty sprays left and then plays a provisional in case it has gone OOB. He finds his first and puts it on the green not too far from the pin. I hit my wedge on the green but outside Rusty. I just miss my putt, Rusty nabs his. I'm gutted after playing a solid hole. (Another bitching SMS to jarro) Rusty 6up.

30: Rusty gets a shot on this par 4. Oh joy for me, the pain can finally be ended. Rusty in the middle, I'm left again. I put my approach into the wind short. Rusty blows his OOB. Wow! He's human. He still manages a 6, but I get up and down for par and a rare win. I'm back baby. :mrgreen: Rusty 5up.

31: I'm down the middle with my T-shot, while Rusty goes left. I get my approach to the front fringe, while Rusty misses left. My putt is thereabouts. Rusty knifes his chip which should have gone off the other side of the green, BUT it hits the flag and stays within a couple of metres. I didn't hide my look of disgust and shaking of the head. One putt each and it was halved with pars. Rusty 5up, Dormie 5.

32: We both putt our T-shots in position. Hitting my approach first, I continue my good patch by hitting it to the left fringe. Not to be outdone, Rusty puts his ball on the back left fringe. Rusty gets it thereabouts, and I leave my fringe putt short on line. Pars each, and another square hole. Despite parring the last 4 holes, I gain nothing, and Rusty wins 5 and 4.

Of course, I carried on with par then birdie. :roll:

Rusty played great all day and never let me in. He parred (or better) 11 of the 14 matchplay holes at Beerwah. Did I have any hope? He made me feel like I was playing pretty ordinary, so I was very surprised to see that I had scored pretty well. Of course, his score was a snotload better. His short game was fantastic and really applied pressure to mine, which failed until it was too late. Well done, Rusty, that was an awesome round.

I'll also mention that Rusty has set a new precedence for weapons used in matchplay. He brought along his mum that had been a member of Beerwah for 20 years or something.

Good luck to the next OZgolfer that plays Rusty, whether it is Tezza or not. If he's on song, and in a burglar mood, you will be in a world of pain.

Courty
10th June 2007, 08:30 PM
Congratulations Rusty.

Hopefully now that AndyP is out, it means that the rest of the matches will be completed in 18 holes or less. :roll: ;)

AndyP
10th June 2007, 08:38 PM
Hopefully now that AndyP is out, it means that the rest of the matches will be completed in 18 holes or less. :roll: ;)
If I had won, I would have had to play Tezza next week. Now that I've lost, Rusty will probably get a walkover to the semis.

I feel violated. :(

BrisWesty
11th June 2007, 04:35 AM
Nice summary AP, well played Rusty.
Next match v Tezza at Moranbah perhaps?

terryand
11th June 2007, 05:40 AM
Quoting one of my favorite lines from Madagascar "well that sux" :?

And I fell I am in better form now than leading into the match with Vegas, meaning I haven't touched a club for longer this stint 8-)

There might be a small window of opportunaty for a mid week game when I am down for the V8's in July. I can come down a day earlier or leave a day later, so I will put some dates up when I get home from work. But it will only work if Rusty can do a mid week game.

Terry.

Rusty
11th June 2007, 09:34 PM
Great review Andy. spelt out beautifully. with the first match, i was so concerned 1down with 3 to play. was looking to make the most of your short right tee shot on 143m par 3, and couldn't... aaarrggh. ended up just so glad to sink my second putt to square the hole. so glad to get the next hole to even, and sink my putt on 18 to square the match. after the match, added up my putts and had 25! couldn't believe it. my best ever by 4 (the chip in also helped)! and my last 5 games i've averaged about 36 per round.

was a bit worried going to Beerwah the next day - smallish, sometimes fast greens. the rain helped me out slowing down the greens a bit to what i expected, and yeah, my secret weapon helped too :) . putter held out - 30 putts, with only 3 putt on 18 for a double :( . but i equalled my best ever score of 7 over - my second only ever sub 80 score, so i was ecstatic.

Tezza, yeah a mid week came'll be fine. i'd certainly rather play than not. [edit: v8 supercars Ipswich 20-22 July - wife's requested a 2-3 week holiday in late July. i'll start planning the hol when i get back from China 25 June. may be able to make it last week of July + some of August. so please confirm dates as soon as you can.]

terryand
23rd June 2007, 04:57 PM
No chance to play this match now,so I am officially conceding :?

I have had a dream gig at one of the mines fall in my lap and I don't want to spend any more time away than I have too. Plus I am in the process of buying a new 4X4 (in Brisbane :shock: ) so I will have to fly down and drive it home one weekend :neutral:

Terry.

BrisWesty
23rd June 2007, 06:30 PM
AndyLo v BrisWesty - Riverlakes 23/6/07 - BrisWesty won 3/2

Full description in matchplay thread (if anyone cares.)
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7132&page=2

BrisVegas
23rd June 2007, 06:39 PM
Plus I am in the process of buying a new 4X4 (in Brisbane :shock: ) so I will have to fly down and drive it home one weekend :neutral:

lemme guess.... a Ford Ranger???

Can I play Rusty instead? :wink:

terryand
23rd June 2007, 06:51 PM
lemme guess.... a Ford Ranger???

Can I play Rusty instead? :wink:

Yes(Did anyone drive past Denmac Ford at Indooroopilly today and see a black twin cab with 20" mags on it?Haven't seen a pic of it yet but they are trying to sell it to me. Not sure whether to get a pimped up one or one with more traditional off road rims and tyres),

and what a good idea.

Terry.

BrisVegas
23rd June 2007, 06:55 PM
20" light truck tyres don't sound too cheap....

PeteyD
23rd June 2007, 07:00 PM
Draw updated. Now that Terry has had to quit Rusty is the first semi finalist.

Choppa
24th June 2007, 04:36 PM
Shouldn't Vegas get another crack now that Terry is out?

goughy
24th June 2007, 04:39 PM
buggers me how it works now. Past seasons occurances should be the presidence for what happens?

Players have been re-instated in the past haven't they after a withdrawal??

PeteyD
24th June 2007, 05:47 PM
If that is the case I am happy for that to go ahead. Anyone ... Bueller Bueller ...

BrisVegas
24th June 2007, 05:49 PM
I don't wanna rock the boat. I only suggested it half in jest as it's fun to play matchplay. Honestly, I don't mind either way.

goughy
24th June 2007, 06:07 PM
I think rusty would have a say in this.

I just don't want to read back through all the posts from last years matchplay. Especially when AP will know what happened in a few instances. I just seem to recall that someone was re-instated to keep the matches going, although the opponent may have had a say in it.

terryand
24th June 2007, 06:09 PM
Seeing as I am the one pulling out after trying my hardest to fit in with everyone from 1000kms away,how about this.Either Vegas takes my spot from here on in or Vegas can be a substitute for the next match for me. I don't think Rusty should get a free run to the next round seeing as he was the one that couldn't make it to Nudgee.:smt102

Terry.

Moe Norman
24th June 2007, 06:18 PM
AP reinstated himself Goughy, nobody asked the opponent.

I believe the same should be done for Vegas, so I can make fun of him instead!

goughy
24th June 2007, 06:23 PM
AP would appreciate the diversion! ;)

markTHEblake
24th June 2007, 06:23 PM
Seeing as I am the one pulling out after trying my hardest to fit in with everyone from 1000kms away

I dont know much about he background to this match arrangement, however......

4. *There will be a set date for each round of matches to be played. *If a match is not played both competitors are disqualified, unless one forfeits. *A player may appeal this to the committee should he think the opponent did not make fair effort to arrange a match.

AndyP
24th June 2007, 07:21 PM
Shouldn't Vegas get another crack now that Terry is out?
Most likely. Especially since Choppa is still waiting for his opponent.

I've heard nothing about dc68 and Moe playing before the 1st of July. DQ both? Rusty vs Choppa semi?

Seeing as I am the one pulling out after trying my hardest to fit in with everyone from 1000kms away,how about this.Either Vegas takes my spot from here on in or Vegas can be a substitute for the next match for me. I don't think Rusty should get a free run to the next round seeing as he was the one that couldn't make it to Nudgee.:smt102
I honesty don't think supplying an opponent with one and only one date is very fair.

AP reinstated himself Goughy, nobody asked the opponent.Nice story. I like stories.

Let's try to get as many matches played as possible, even if it means re-instatement, instead of having it ruined by walkovers like 2006.

Moe Norman
24th June 2007, 07:39 PM
maybe we should make it a round robin format, with forfeits making it unlikely you will get through to the 'finals' but still allowing the blokes who really enjoy matchplay to play more than a handful of matches?

goughy
24th June 2007, 07:42 PM
I would think that the only prob with that would be the amount of matches you might have to play just to get to the semi's. Might be too hard to organise.

Choppa
24th June 2007, 09:21 PM
Let's try to get as many matches played as possible, even if it means re-instatement, instead of having it ruined by walkovers like 2006.

I agree. So what's the plan Mr. Admin, Vegas back in?

dc68
25th June 2007, 08:25 AM
I've heard nothing about dc68 and Moe playing before the 1st of July. DQ both?

:shock:

PeteyD
25th June 2007, 08:28 AM
Moe and dave are a bit late as Azza did not pull out until late and Moe had his injury early on, so I think a bit of leniency might be applied there. But get the game on guys ;)

Nothing confirmed as to whether Dion should have another crack at it with Tezza out. Is there actually a precedent for this or not?

AndyP
25th June 2007, 09:06 AM
Nothing confirmed as to whether Dion should have another crack at it with Tezza out. Is there actually a precedent for this or not?
There is precedent. I lost to steverawlo in the first round last year, then played the second round because Steve wasn't available to get his second round match against Davemason played.

I agree. So what's the plan Mr. Admin, Vegas back in?
PeteyD runs the matchplay comp.

PeteyD
25th June 2007, 09:20 AM
Mwwaaaa hahahahha the Power!!

OK since there is a precedent set, Vegas is back in and this will apply if there are any more that pull out.

decision is final and all further correspondence will be treated with disdain.

Jarro
25th June 2007, 09:23 AM
I'm still available

markTHEblake
25th June 2007, 09:25 AM
I'm still available

We would be better off giving Zimbabwe a run

BrisVegas
25th June 2007, 11:07 AM
Of course if Dion win the event the prestige of it all will be severely tarnished....but then again...even getting a winner will be a good result.

fair enough, but it's highly unlikely. After all I got smashed by Tez and he doesn't even play golf anymore. If nothing else, it will give Rusty another game and hopefully a confidence boost heading into his semi final clash with choppa.

Rusty
26th June 2007, 02:32 PM
ok, i'm back from golf in China. gees it was very HOT and HUMID over there. if interested http://www.yalongbaygolfclub.com/doce/gsjj.htm. used as the TCL Classic for the European Tour 15-18 Mar 07. played ok, 2, 3, then +4 over handicap. on that course was reasonably pleased + i was up from 1-7am before the 2nd days play, with V&D (not to be confused with just "VD"). i thought i was pretty off colour, until i saw Nudgee. he was pretty sick over there.

we won the team event on the second comp day, so pretty happy. friend who played in our team won overall individual comp.

wow, a lot going on with Tezz and my matchplay. my 2 bobs worth - Tezza, pity you can't play. background info for others - i couldn't play Nudgee Plate because i flew out for China early that morning (trip committed to 3 months earlier, and gees i so much wanted to play the Plate). was available prior 2 days, but Tez was working and not able to fly down until Sat arvo. we had also started talking about playing around 22 July when Tez may have had the opportunity to come down for the V8 Supercars.

looks like the precedent has been set, so Vegas back in. would really be the same situation if Tezza had pulled earlier than his match with Vegas so no real change (mind you, if you go on to win Vegas I'll be :smt089 ). pity, would've been nice to scoot thru, tho takes away from the hole concept of having a matchplay comp, so better to play the matchplay than not. that's fair enough.

BrisVegas
26th June 2007, 02:38 PM
ok cool Rusty. What's the next big ozgolf day? I'll do what I can to get there.

Rusty
27th June 2007, 05:26 PM
ok cool Rusty. What's the next big ozgolf day? I'll do what I can to get there.

Frank Foley trophy? i'll play anywhere except maybe Brooky - too tough for me. going on hols for 3 weeks somewhere between last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August, so maybe we can slot it in before then. you have any preferences where?

BrisVegas
27th June 2007, 06:47 PM
First half of july wold be fine. Maybe Oxley on the 15th?? We're expecting a bub early-mid Aug, just fyi, so need to stay fairly close to home around then.

BrisVegas
28th June 2007, 07:19 AM
Rusty - just noticed we've got til the end of August for our match. Looks like the Oxley game is for 6 hcap and under, so maybe the Frank Foley at end of July? Or else we can just organise something in August, as I'm taking 2 weeks hols when our baby arrives.

Rusty
28th June 2007, 02:49 PM
organising moved to PM's.

dc68
10th July 2007, 11:45 AM
Moe... Gailes?

dc68
10th July 2007, 12:35 PM
Moe?

AndyP
10th July 2007, 01:58 PM
Pm?

3oneday
10th July 2007, 02:28 PM
This finished yet ?

dc68
10th July 2007, 03:03 PM
about 403 pm now P.

Jarro
10th July 2007, 03:13 PM
Lets just scrap it for this year and start afresh next year 'eh ?

dc68
10th July 2007, 03:15 PM
8 and 7..... Nothing to do with that? Right?

BrisVegas
16th July 2007, 08:19 AM
BrisVegas def Rusty 1 up at Windaroo on 14/7/07.

PeteyD
16th July 2007, 08:53 AM
Yea update soon. Congrats on being the first through to the final 4 Dion.

BrisVegas
16th July 2007, 09:19 AM
As Tez's consiglieri, I just do what the boss tells me.

Fishman Dan
16th July 2007, 10:26 AM
I thought the "lucky loser" was done away with this year? Definately is in NSW, although the term "Lucky Loser" was coined because once eliminated it's a bit of a relief, because you dont have to \participate in these fabled NSW OzGolf days.

I can't talk, my one-and-only pool comp win was when I had the option to buy back in!

BrisVegas
16th July 2007, 10:29 AM
that was your 7,777th post!! sorry, what were you saying again?

PeteyD
16th July 2007, 10:35 AM
You thought ????

:lol: :lol:

Courty
29th July 2007, 06:38 PM

Eag's
29th July 2007, 06:44 PM
Eagsy was a no show. He reckons he's crook but reading between the lines he's shitscared.
My nett 79 would have towelled him up too.

:smt046 sounds like you guys had a tough day out eh?
Mine wasn't much fun either coughing my guts up all day :smt087

AndyP
29th July 2007, 07:03 PM
This match has to be played at Newcastle.

PeteyD
18th August 2007, 07:36 PM
OK Update time. 2 Semi finalists are decided and the third will come out of Newcastle.

Moe and DC have to get their game played soon of Chops gets a walkover into the semi.

Updated attached

AndyP
18th August 2007, 10:45 PM
It would be pretty ****ed if that happened.

Moe Norman
19th August 2007, 06:57 AM
we've made several attempts.

see no reason why we won't get it done next weekend hopefully

dc68
21st August 2007, 09:51 AM
Moe Petey has suggested Redland Bay this Sunday. It would be fine by me, you interested?

dc68
21st August 2007, 11:18 AM
Moe.

PeteyD
21st August 2007, 11:21 AM
Booked in for 12:18 off the first. Have booked Moe in pending confirmation.

Moe Norman
21st August 2007, 11:41 AM
a distinct possibility.

goughy
21st August 2007, 11:44 AM
Me!!

dc68
21st August 2007, 11:48 AM
Piss off you idiots.

goughy
21st August 2007, 11:53 AM
Piss off you idiots.

He had to fight me tooth and nails to win, so I guess he doesn't want to give it up too lightly!!!! :)

dc68
21st August 2007, 11:54 AM
Indeed.

Moe Norman
21st August 2007, 12:45 PM
if I don't make it, its me that forfeits, and Dave is through.

We have made the effort, even played in the same comp on the same day but weren't able to be grouped together!

dc68
21st August 2007, 01:04 PM
We know know you are the king of try hards Dicky sorry we could not live up to your standard.