PDA

View Full Version : Go the REDS!!!! err The WOBBLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeteyD
3rd February 2007, 10:14 PM
Looks like Eddie might have done them some good!!

16 up with 10 to play! (Even with Kaplan reffing)

Jarro
4th February 2007, 06:11 AM
Still think it's gonna be a long season Pete ;)

3oneday
4th February 2007, 07:26 AM
16 up with 10 to play! (Even with Kaplan reffing)gee, and each team scored a try too !!! quality stuff, should send the crowds away in droves with performances like that :roll:

PeteyD
4th February 2007, 07:59 AM
Not with the NZ teams resting the all blacks Mark.

Can't help but be a wanker hey Pete?

Fishman Dan
4th February 2007, 08:29 AM
Schifcofske played well, wasn't scared of running at some big Maori's and made a couple of breaks. The Reds tried to throw it away in the first half with some stupid play, but were too strong in the end.

Good niggle early but the stink never happened unfortunately. The uncontested scrum situation was a little weird. Looked like NRL scrums.

3oneday
4th February 2007, 09:13 AM
Can't help but be a wanker hey Pete?trouble with facts ?

jesus you will have a long season watching that crap if your sensitivity is the same as Kim Hughes :roll:

Moe Norman
4th February 2007, 10:25 AM
it did get a bit girlie (read "rugby league") when the scrums became uncontested.

well played Berrick and well played mad dog mcmeniman.

Force showed you can recruit all the stars you want for a backline but if you don't have a decent 5/8 they are useless.

Fishman Dan
4th February 2007, 06:58 PM
trouble with facts ?

No one keeps crowds away like Bulldogs fans. That's a fact you can take to the bank.

3oneday
4th February 2007, 07:12 PM
No one keeps crowds away like Bulldogs fans. That's a fact you can take to the bank.and Carltons performances, relevence to this conversation ?

Eddy Jones has a fantastic record as a coach, he should keep that going at the Reds.

What sort of interest does that pay by the way Dan ??

Fishman Dan
4th February 2007, 07:26 PM
should send the crowds away in droves...

Remember typing that? Maybe time to decrease the dose of angry pills big fella.

And i think Eddie Jones has achieved more than the average coach, although what would i know. Apparently i only support a cellar-dwelling football team.

Moe Norman
4th February 2007, 07:42 PM
Eddy Jones has a fantastic record as a coach Wasted sarcasm mate - he actually does have a fantastic record as a coach, particularly at provincial level.

3oneday
4th February 2007, 08:13 PM
Remember typing that? Maybe time to decrease the dose of angry pills big fella.yes I recall Dan, the discussion centred on rugby union I thought, it was a statement of my opinion, it wasn't googled nor did it contain anger... Is this a last word thing Dan ? Go ahead then.

Wasted sarcasm mate - he actually does have a fantastic record as a coach, particularly at provincial level.ok, well he is well suited to provincial level then isn't he ?? Google that up too did you MATE.

Sarcasm is never wasted on you Moe ;)

Fishman Dan
4th February 2007, 08:28 PM
Is this a last word thing Dan ?

No.

3oneday
4th February 2007, 08:48 PM
No.clown

by the way Moe, when you are googling up Eddies achievements there is probably an old cliche you may be aware of... as accurate as I can remember a coach is only as good as his cattle even you could have coached a team of gregan and larkham and friends in their prime :p

Fishman Dan
4th February 2007, 09:01 PM
What's your problem Pete? You've come in here guns blazing and burr-up when people disagree with you? Let it go ... "tosser".

;) <- no hard feelings. :rolleyes:

Moe Norman
4th February 2007, 11:07 PM
by the way Moe, when you are googling up Eddies achievements there is probably an old cliche you may be aware of... as accurate as I can remember a coach is only as good as his cattle even you could have coached a team of gregan and larkham and friends in their prime What am I googling - I haven't even quoted a stat?

He is a good coach - shown by winning Provincial titles and taking a Wallaby side that every man and his dog was bagging to extra time in a World Cup final.

I agree with you - a coach is only as good as his cattle. Eddie should never have been sacked.

dc68
8th February 2007, 04:36 PM
I am jumping on the Reds bandwagon.

AndyP
8th February 2007, 04:38 PM
Been to many games? Got your membership yet?

dc68
8th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Like you with the Hawks eh mate?

PeteyD
8th February 2007, 04:41 PM
Tough game this week, even with 7 all blacks not in the Side. Hopefully they can make knock em over.

dc68
8th February 2007, 04:44 PM
Well I am 2 schooners up with a couple of the Kiwis at the club after last week so roll on the Red Army.

AndyP
8th February 2007, 04:56 PM
Like you with the Hawks eh mate?
I've been a member for 10 years.

Moe Norman
8th February 2007, 05:46 PM
so AP - you waited till they became sh#thouse before becoming a member? ;)

dc68
8th February 2007, 05:49 PM
No I think he waited about 7 years after they became shit then joined.

AndyP
8th February 2007, 07:15 PM
I joined after I realised I'd been wasting my money on a Bears/Lions membership for 4 years. Imagine the compound interest I could have made on that money. :(

Moe, I joined the year after the near merger when it was needed.

Back on topic, I'm surprised notlob hasn't seen this thread. He's been a member of the Reds for the last few years.

notlob
8th February 2007, 09:28 PM
Just seen the thread....unfortunately I don't get on line as much as I should!
Yep! 4th year Reds member... a bit like Andy I became a member of a club while they were at the best slump for years!!! As a Welshman, I love my rugby so becoming a member of the Reds was the only way to see some decent rugby, even if it was from the oppostion....but being a true red blooded welshman I am used to seeing quality rugby from the opposition!!No doubt it will be a tough assignment this week but if they can keep it close (win or lose (Crusaders by 5)) it should hold them in good stead for the challenge of the Brumbies the following week at Suncorp.
As for Eddie despoite his lack of personal skills his record at Super level sepeaks for itself. The small man will bring a new professionalism at the club (ask Lloyd or you are out!!!).
I could witter on for hours....ask Andy!

PeteyD
8th February 2007, 10:04 PM
QLd Rugby definately needs the professionalism of Eddie. Notlob it sounds like you and me would get on rather well. My grandparents were Welsh and I love nothing more than watching them beat England! hehe

notlob
8th February 2007, 10:10 PM
I think its fair to say that thats one think us Welsh and the Aussies have in common, and thats enjoying beating the English. Although I think Wales V Eng will be a bit tight this year. Damned Foxtel no, 6 Nations again this year, just means spending more time in the pubs that show Sentanta TV (have exclusive 6N coverage). Its hard work but someone has to do it (hic! glug! hic! glug!)

3oneday
18th February 2007, 09:05 AM
Another tryfest last night ;)

:lol:

notlob
18th February 2007, 09:28 AM
Yep! A pretty poor game from both teams last night. No real positives from it either in terms of entertainment or the Reds progressing. Although some of their young players did show signs of being able to compete at that level.....and the beers was cold!!!

PeteyD
18th February 2007, 09:33 AM
'ken shocka. Dammit Pete stop putting a hex on them.

Fishman Dan
18th February 2007, 10:46 AM
Worst game i've ever seen, and the conditions were damn good.

Australian rugby is in serious trouble, the Waratah's also lacked any creativity inside the opposition half. They should have beaten the Cheetah's last night but looked like rabbits in front of Bulldogs/Roosters/Titans/Bronco's/Eels/Tigers (..etc etc) last night.

Moe Norman
18th February 2007, 10:54 AM
I enjoyed the game.

Good old fashioned slugfest. shame the referee saw fit to dissolve the Reds scrum dominance through a series of decisions that were from another planet.

As usual though - the reds couldn't put them away.

anyone else think Lloyds shot on Mortlock hit him on the chest? Looked a good hit to me

Fishman Dan
18th February 2007, 11:10 AM
Moe - a bob each way. The shot on Mortlock was fine, although it got dragged up to his chin. I thought he took a dive until they showed a close-up and you could see his eyes still rolling.

The game was a disaster. Neither team could hold the ball for more than 3 phases before dropping it. Fine in torrential rain, but last night there were no excuses.

Courty
18th February 2007, 11:21 AM
I only saw a few minutes of the game. Someone explain this to me:

Why was the Reds try in the corner disallowed, but they were then taken back 15m and given a penalty goal? WTF is that about? If the Brumbies infringed on the rules 15m out, why wasn't advantage played?

I'm no expert on Union, but that makes no sense.

3oneday
18th February 2007, 11:29 AM
Apparently the last pass ? was forward... looked fine to me.

There was a time maybe 10 or 15 years ago where I thought you were actually allowed to pass it forward in rugby, it was just that regular !!!

Sorry Pete ;)

goughy
18th February 2007, 11:41 AM
I still thought forward passes were the norm in rugby, especially in a move that results in a try!

Courty
18th February 2007, 11:41 AM
Apparently the last pass ? was forward... looked fine to me.

If it was a forward pass, wouldn't possession be handed back to the Brumbies? :???:

Moe Norman
18th February 2007, 12:50 PM
no because advantage hadn't been ruled over.

Goughy, technically a forward pass is legal in Union. you can throw a forward pass, as long as the initial movement was to pass backwards. Eg: A long pass is allowed to 'float' forwards

3oneday
3rd March 2007, 02:46 AM
Anyone see Lote shove his teammate last night... probably bad form but I reckon he only did what half the stadium WANTED to do :lol:

Reds gunna score a try this weekend ??? :lol:

PeteyD
3rd March 2007, 05:48 AM
Hope so Pete. Although the Lions have been one of the form teams so far. If the Reds keep this up I'll feel like Grunt again this year ;)

Grunt
3rd March 2007, 06:17 AM
Nice, are the reds going to turn it all around are they? Win a few games and get some good signings. Maybe even make the S14 semis.;)

Fishman Dan
3rd March 2007, 07:56 PM
So why do we suck so much?

I'm sure they do everything right during training, but they look like rabbits in spotlights when they actually have a defence to run at. In every game I've seen there's been more dropped balls than the year 7 lawns at the local high school.

The Brumbies are getting a touch-up at the but it's nearly fair to say the ref has sucked.

The Reds get their chance to suck in an hour or so.

Moe Norman
3rd March 2007, 11:46 PM
nobody knows more about losing than the reds.

I've never seen a side lose more games from winning positions, or dominance of general play. They simply can't finish.

terryand
4th March 2007, 01:05 AM
I bet Barnes wished he had stayed with the Broncos last year now :-s

Terry.

Fishman Dan
4th March 2007, 01:44 AM
Tez - with the money he's on, probably not! ;)

notlob
4th March 2007, 01:55 AM
For my sins I was once again there. Yep! the frustration is how often can a team lose from a winning position? With the Reds anything is possible.

PeteyD
4th March 2007, 08:04 AM
Scored more tries than the bulldogs though ... :D

Moe Norman
4th March 2007, 10:45 AM
I bet Barnes wished he had stayed with the Broncos last year now I bet he doesn't.

Jarro
4th March 2007, 11:14 AM
I bet he doesn't.

I bet he does. He was really unsure about whether to sign with the ARU or not.

The Broncos indicated that he'd be the heir apparant to Lockyer's 5/8th position, and given that the Broncos have shown a willingness to move Lockyer to halfback if the chance arises, he'd probably be playing a starring role in their lineup this season.

He could've played a few years in the NRL anyway as he's only a young guy, plenty of time to "retire" to the ARU later on down the track.

Moe Norman
4th March 2007, 12:04 PM
The only reason he played for the Broncs in the first place is because they threw cash at him while he was playing Rugby Union for Ipswich Grammar.

You speak alot about a topic you know little of. He was in fact torn between football (either code) and cricket, before making a decision late in Grade 12 after spending the season on the sidelines.

Little Will Genia and his brother were the same, as was Nic Berry. Two of them were good players for BBC 1st XV and Nick and Berrick are both Ipswich Grammar boys. All had league knocking on the door, only Berrick switched across.

People think Union poaches all these league players, when really it was league that poached Union players for 30 years, and Union is poaching a few back. Wendell and Shifcofske are the only real true leaguies. Lote, Rogers, Rocky Elsom, Junior Pelesasa and the rest were all schoolboy Union stars who were poached across to league and have since returned.

Reminds me of the days when the Bulldogs and Broncs were throwing cash at Tim Horan and Jason Little, but they didn't budge despite Union not even being professional until 1995!

karma baby

terryand
4th March 2007, 12:21 PM
Moe, how do they know if they want to play League or if they would be any good at it when the come from a GPS school with only a rugby culture.

Same can be said about the state school system the other way :-s

Terry.

Moe Norman
4th March 2007, 06:44 PM
alot of guys play both during school.

You'd be amazed at the GPS 1st XV matches - league scouts every week coming and talking to the players trying to sign them up to 'scholarships'.

Of the 1st XV in my year at IGS, 6 blokes were playing league on a Sunday as well.

The league scouts tend to chase the best 4 or 5 players in the comp and then the weaker guys in each side. This is because if you're a gun and you prefer Union you know you can make some good coin, but if you're only 'pretty good' at Union you'll struggle to make a dollar out of it, so you head off to League.

Do the maths - there are 4 professional union sides in the country and 16 professional league sides. Had I been targetted by League, I would have taken the money in a heartbeat, but as I knew, and clearly so did the scouts - I wasn't suited to League ;)

In 1998, 4 blokes were kicked out of the QLD Schoolboys squads for siging with League. Then in the years to mcome, they have now gone as far as making them sign guarantees they won't sign with League within 12 months before they even pick the sides.

GPS Rugby is a meatmarket, the reason I know about Willy Genia getting targetted by league was becuase I coached his U/15 side at BBC and the broncs were sniffing around him already!

dc68
5th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Let me off this trainwreck/bandwagon. FFFFS chokers.

Fishman Dan
5th March 2007, 11:52 AM
Take Jarro with you ;)

PeteyD
5th March 2007, 11:54 AM
Chokers yea. The Reds have made an artform of snatching defeat form victory. But at least they are bringing through some young players. They have also played the Blues, Crusaders and Lions (all great teams) early on. Will be interesting to see if they can lift for the rest of the competition.

Moe Norman
5th March 2007, 12:06 PM
They've had a tough draw no doubt and are missing two genuine stars in Latham and Mcmeniman - but they have been in a position wo win every game they have played thus far and have showed a simple lack of the ability to close the deal.

Even in the bad years (2007 may be one also) they were competitive in alot of games before throwing it away at the end.

Fishman Dan
5th March 2007, 12:29 PM
Players out doesn't cut it Moe - they looked like winning for 70 minutes of that game. They played solidly all over the park, but failed. To be fair they look like the only Australian team who look like winning!

Moe Norman
5th March 2007, 12:56 PM
did you miss the bit where I said exactly what you just said?

It's no excuse at all, especially since the sides that have beaten them (Crusaders for example) are missing up to 10 All Blacks!

Fishman Dan
5th March 2007, 01:00 PM
did you miss the bit where I said exactly what you just said?

Probably, but it's naive to think that anyone reads all of the crap you spout ;)

terryand
5th March 2007, 05:01 PM
Probably, but it's naive to think that anyone reads all of the crap you spout ;)

=P~ :-k :roll: :-#

Grunt
9th March 2007, 09:32 PM
Gee they went well tonight didn't they?

3oneday
9th March 2007, 09:36 PM
They've certainly assumed the position ;)

At the foot of the table :lol:

Grunt
9th March 2007, 09:41 PM
Now I know how you guys bagged me so easily last year with the Bunnies. This is Fun ;)

Moe Norman
9th March 2007, 11:21 PM
it wasn't pretty.

kpac
10th March 2007, 07:38 AM
It was rubbish, last week was disgraceful, this week they just reinforced the point

Moe Norman
10th March 2007, 12:04 PM
cam shepherd stepped up though

kpac
10th March 2007, 12:15 PM
cam shepherd stepped up though
no arguement, i have found every week that there's a lot of good individual performances and passages of play where they look good, but as a team they stink. i blame eddie

PeteyD
10th March 2007, 01:56 PM
Problem with a short season like Super 14 is there is not a lot of time to turn it around. Hopefully they can start to mesh and come good for the last half of the season. And hopefully they can avoid any more injuries.

Jarro
10th March 2007, 03:45 PM
Maybe Lote will be able to lift them ;)

Grunt
10th March 2007, 03:56 PM
If he does not sign with the bunnies I reckon he may be in red next year..

3oneday
12th March 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks God the Reds are in the comp, the Waratahs can't come last :p

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks God the Reds are in the comp, the Waratahs can't come last :p

:lol:

Not through lack of trying however!!

Waratah's had over 60% of possession, won 3 times as much ruck ball, and still struggled to make it to double-figures, with only a late consolation try. It's time to go..... McKenzie!

Moe Norman
12th March 2007, 10:25 AM
especially with all those QLD'ers in their side!

3oneday
12th March 2007, 10:30 AM
It's time to go..... McKenzie!go coach Australia you mean :confused:

Moe Norman
12th March 2007, 10:33 AM
thats just what the Wallabies need - a proud Victorian coaching them ;)

PeteyD
12th March 2007, 10:44 AM
We won't even mention Wales ...

3oneday
17th March 2007, 06:11 AM
:lol: :lol:

Moe Norman
17th March 2007, 10:21 AM
pretty poor performance - but I never knew an attempted intercept was a yellow card offence!

shavey
17th March 2007, 12:14 PM
As somebody mentioned, there has been some great passages of play and standout performances..

I have really enjoyed the play between the two halves..

What were their names again...

Oh, that's right, first and second!

Fishman Dan
18th March 2007, 10:49 AM
Good to see the Waratah's cross the opposition line. We should try and get this new bloke on a long contract. What was his name... P. Try or something?

PeteyD
19th March 2007, 04:57 PM
Good to see Wales clock a win up!!! At least one of my teams played well on the weekend.

Grunt
15th April 2007, 08:11 AM
Spoon for the Reds :p

PeteyD
15th April 2007, 08:15 AM
More than they deserve

just
15th April 2007, 08:23 AM
More than they deserve
Harsh but fair and the Waratahs aren't much better. The Reds make it hard to be a fan.

PeteyD
15th April 2007, 08:28 AM
I don't mind them losing, it is the giving up I don't like. When they were losing but still competitive it was fine, rebulding and all that. Last couple of games they have lacked heart :( Sad to say that of a Queensland side.

Jarro
15th April 2007, 08:38 AM
I think it's spreading Pete, Broncos were just as bad on Friday night :(

Moe Norman
15th April 2007, 09:56 AM
QLD A beat QLD B - no big deal !

PeteyD
15th April 2007, 10:25 AM
hehe and QLD C got beaten as well ;)

just
6th May 2007, 08:34 AM
Thank god the season is over or someone might have had to shoot them to end the horror.

Grunt
6th May 2007, 07:00 PM
Did they win this game Waratahs finally won another.

Moe Norman
6th May 2007, 07:31 PM
92-3 grant.

PeteyD
30th June 2007, 09:56 PM
Well that totally makes up for a real crappy Super 14 season!!!

Go the Wobblies.