PDA

View Full Version : shaft shortening

damoocow
5th September 2004, 10:47 PM
Ok I have a penley stealth 50 that I had taken out of my Integra driver and replaced with DGr300 - the penley shaft has been sitting around and I got to thinking about possibly putting it into my old 5 wood [also has been sitting around doing nothing] or even the ezydrive [god knows I cannot hit it properly with the Aldila it came with or the Dgr300 that replaced it] - now to put the penley into a shorter club would mean reducing its length by approx 17 cms [yes I know it's a lot] - for what it's worth the penley at present is 45 inches long and has a medium kickpoint / R flex / 3.9 torque.
My driver swing speed is approx 100mph and 5 iron approx 80 mph. - now I am not a golf techno but I would assume this would stiffen the shaft by an incredible margin ??? - and my gut feeling is that it would make any club very difficult [for me] to hit by changing the shaft length to this extreme - but am open to suggestions or finger pointing ridicule.
damoocow

markTHEblake
6th September 2004, 09:12 AM
the golf clubmaker can make some compensations to allow for that. bit of weight here, nip and tuck there, you know the drill.

AFAIK all wood shafts are the same size anyway.

3oneday
6th September 2004, 09:40 AM
You need to find some trimming info for the Penley, because to stick it in a 5 wood you would normally trim some off the tip before you did the butt, otherwise your stiffness will be all over the place. Personally, if it is a 50 gram shaft (Penley 50 ??), it's probably too light to be any good in that sort of club, they make them 50 grams for driving distance, not fairway woods.

Pete

Jarro
6th September 2004, 04:15 PM
just go and see Chris at keperra moocow, he'll be the one to help you out 8)

Iain
6th September 2004, 06:27 PM
damoocow,
You will have to tip the shaft a little bit probably about 2 inches or so, as it is going into a shorter club, but the pro will be able to get a guide of how much is req'd, then he will just have to butt trim it to length.

If it is similar shaft to the stealth 70 you would have to tip it 2" for a 5 wood.
http://www.golfcomponents.com.au/components/product.asp?pID=470&cID=44

Iain

damoocow
6th September 2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys - gives me some things to consider.
damoocow