PDA

View Full Version : Hill's International - 3rd Feb

poidda
31st January 2007, 01:17 PM
Playing at 7.50 in the comp at Jimboomba if anyone's interested.

---------------

1. poidda 81 nett 69
2. AndyP 89 nett 78

AndyP
31st January 2007, 01:29 PM
Saturday morning is not the best time to try and play somewhere, you know?

poidda
31st January 2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah for sure, but it's the only time I can play, so will make some calls if anyone else is keen. Was even hoping someone already had a game lined up. Thinking maybe Robina Woods.

poidda
31st January 2007, 05:32 PM
Jimboomba it is.

1. poidda

AndyP
31st January 2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm definitely interested. I was thinking Gailes for Sunday arvo, but haven't done anything about it.

---------

I just got an "I suppose" from the missus, so as far as I'm concerned that's a green light.

1. poidda
2. AndyP

It will be interesting to see what sort of condition it is in. The last time I played there it wasn't too crash hot.

poidda
31st January 2007, 06:02 PM
How long ago was that AP? It's monthly medal as well, so we'll be off the back tees I suspect.

Jarro
31st January 2007, 06:34 PM
Good luck fellas ;)

AndyP
31st January 2007, 06:59 PM
How long ago was that AP? It's monthly medal as well, so we'll be off the back tees I suspect.
The search function tells me that I played there in March and June 2005, so quite a while ago.
I've played pretty ordinary both times too.

Do I need to ring them or is a whole group booked?

poidda
31st January 2007, 08:38 PM
You're good. I booked 2 spots at this stage.

andylo
1st February 2007, 08:21 AM
Wrong date unfortunately (medal date for Riverlakes too), or else I will put myself in too.

AndyP
1st February 2007, 08:26 AM
Surely you could play both in one day AND do the housework?

andylo
1st February 2007, 08:34 AM
Housework?! Are you kidding me, I aren't doing it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can sure play a morning session then an arvo session but only if the RL round start before 6am and Hills after 12....

If vice versa then I won't be able to make the RL round, because you play sloooow!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Iain
1st February 2007, 09:28 AM
If vice versa then I won't be able to make the RL round, because you play sloooow!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......... :smt043:-\" :smt081 :smt026

andylo
1st February 2007, 09:31 AM
Check it up before you say something next time.

My slow play problem is long gone outdated man!

AndyP
1st February 2007, 10:18 AM
I'd say that Iain would find that hard to believe until he sees it with his own eyes.

andylo
1st February 2007, 10:34 AM
F if he cares... he just don't want to miss his chance to open his trap.

I am very very damn keen on the Hills round ATM.... thinking to ditch my medal round :p

steverawlo
1st February 2007, 10:37 AM
Let me run it by the hugs n kisses. We might be able to play our match play there.

Eag's
1st February 2007, 10:40 AM
Surely you could play both in one day AND do the housework?

Give him a break Andy, he has to find time to do the groceries and cook dinner :smt002

andylo
1st February 2007, 10:46 AM
Playing at 7.50 in the comp at Jimboomba if anyone's interested.

poidda, how much is it again? $20?

poidda
1st February 2007, 10:48 AM
As I said before I only booked 2 spots as I thought I might ahve been on my own and was going to jump in another group. Let me know asap and I'll try and book more.

poidda
1st February 2007, 10:49 AM
poidda, how much is it again? $20?

$25 I believe

poidda
1st February 2007, 10:52 AM
Let me run it by the hugs n kisses. We might be able to play our match play there.

Bring it on!

AndyP
1st February 2007, 10:58 AM
It was $15 last time. I might have to do an update of the Open Days thread if that's the case.

Here's some interesting reading.

The course itself was very disappointing. The bunkers are an absolute joke, as a lot of them are compacted like a cart path :roll:, and haven't been tidied up after rain, with puddle marks in the centre. The fairways are extremely bare, but the greens are OK. But one of the other guys can comment on the greens, as I was swearing at them quite a bit by the end of the day.

It's the second time I have played the course, and I was keen to try it again, where I wouldn't be playing holes blind. It was even better having a local in our group.
However, this time the trick holes just seemed annoying.
A par 4, where the best play was to hit a 5I, then a 3W to the green!!!
There were two T-shots that I hit nicely onto fairways, that left me with bunt shots underneath trees to get to the green. One of these was the 17th, that even the local thought was shit. The trees overhang such that if you don't get passed them, you only have a very small gap where you can actually fly it to the green. :evil: The green itself slopes straight back down towards the fairway, and all three of us who completed the hole, three putted.

I don't think I will be making the drive down there in a hurry, as there are plenty of better courses around that are closer.
Obviously I was impressed. I'm already thinking about how much I hate the 17th hole.

andylo
1st February 2007, 11:41 AM
poidda, if I am keen, and others don't have a problem, can we able to make it much earlier? So that we can all have the rest of the day (cooking dinner and stuff according to Eag :)), also would be able to avoid the heat wave cause by the dreadful summer sun.

Iain
1st February 2007, 11:46 AM
Check it up before you say something next time.

My slow play problem is long gone outdated man!

I have Alo, I've played with you a few times, and you've always been slow.... :-P

I'd say that Iain would find that hard to believe until he sees it with his own eyes.

Is it true??

andylo
1st February 2007, 11:57 AM
I have Alo, I've played with you a few times, and you've always been slow.... :-P

Is it true??

Yeah... when? 6 months ago or more? :smt002

AndyP
1st February 2007, 12:02 PM

Is it true??
I actually don't know. I haven't seen it either.

poidda, if I am keen, and others don't have a problem, can we able to make it much earlier? So that we can all have the rest of the day (cooking dinner and stuff according to Eag :)), also would be able to avoid the heat wave cause by the dreadful summer sun.
FWIW I like the current tee time. We'll be finished around midday, and we don't have to get up at sparrow's.

poidda
1st February 2007, 12:42 PM

No we cant. As it's a medal 7.50 is the earliest we could get.

steverawlo
1st February 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm no chance. She's arranged a day looking at wedding invitations and table decorations. Why ](*,)

AndyP
1st February 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm out. I'm going to look at invitations and decorations with Steve instead.........

Steve, it's not too late. Get out, while you can.

poidda, did you book 2 slots in an empty group of 4?

andylo
1st February 2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah for the time being I think I am out too. Sorry.

poidda
1st February 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm no chance. She's arranged a day looking at wedding invitations and table decorations. Why ](*,)

I'm out. I'm going to look at invitations and decorations with Steve instead.........

I'm embarassed for the pair of you! I Just booked for 2 people. Unsure if it was with others or not.

steverawlo
1st February 2007, 06:44 PM
Way to kick a man while he's down, poidda. :smt002

I was just talking to a work mate who played Hills the other day. He said it was in atrocious condition. :smt019

AndyP
1st February 2007, 10:24 PM
poidda, if you have any reservations about playing at Hills, you could give Ipswich a try. http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=9341&postcount=7

poidda
2nd February 2007, 09:16 AM
I'm thinking of canning the whole. I've got a load of shyte I really should be doing and the course sounds like it isn't much chop.

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 09:20 AM
If that's what you want to do, it's not a problem with me. I'll just organise a Sunday arvo game instead.

poidda
2nd February 2007, 09:29 AM

If that's what you want to do, it's not a problem with me. I'll just organise a Sunday arvo game instead.

huh? I thought you were out? You never used the sarcasm emoticon! If ytou're still in than I'll play. I just thought I was heading out there on my own.

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 09:38 AM
I'm playing. Why would I go look at decorations with Steve? I've went through all that shit years ago.

That's why I mentioned Ipswich as another potential option, if we want to avoid Hills.

poidda
2nd February 2007, 09:45 AM
I thought you might have been being a nice (not so straight) mate and giving him a hand. Sorry for the confusion! :)

I'm game for Hills, but could do Ipswich as well. What's Dipswich like? I'm guessing it'd be fairly dry as well.

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 09:52 AM
I'd definitely rate it above Hills, and I can't imagine the conditioning being as bad as what Hills was and sounds like being.

Once again, it's a course I haven't played since 05, but at least I gave it a good review.

poidda
2nd February 2007, 10:04 AM
I'll give them a call then and see if we can get on about the same time.

poidda
2nd February 2007, 10:25 AM
Called Ipswich and it's a 4ball with no decent times. The Hills it is.

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks poidda. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

poidda
2nd February 2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah maybe. I actually learnt to play at Capricorn Country Club so am (in a sick sort of way) looking forward to a chop on a good old fashion goat track. Maybe I'll dust off the 15 year old Carnegie Clark Tournaments to top off the day! :)

steverawlo
2nd February 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm playing. Why would I go look at decorations with Steve? I've went through all that shit years ago.

I'm flattered Andy but my missus said you can't come along.

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm flattered Andy but my missus said you can't come along.
It's because of the socks, isn't it?

steverawlo
2nd February 2007, 02:31 PM
Well, I didn't want to hurt your feelings.........

poidda
2nd February 2007, 03:07 PM
It's because of the socks, isn't it?

Can you wear them tomorrow? Pleeeaase.

From all reports, the colour might even match the fairways!

AndyP
2nd February 2007, 09:42 PM
With a length of 6906 metres from the blue tees, par 72 ACR 77 this challenging championship course is made up of four par 5's which range from 544m to 575m, 4 par 3's which range from 152m to 229m and ten par 4's which range from 343m to 435m.

And if you think the ACR is a joke, check the golflink record of Jason Day:
http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4110700572
I saw a CCR of 78 on one of the golflink records.

Monthly Honours did you say?!?!?!?!?

PeteyD
3rd February 2007, 05:38 AM
Have fun out there guys ...

AndyP
3rd February 2007, 03:53 PM
Here's a wrap-up post round.

The condition of the course wasn't that great, but "atrocious" is probably a bit harsh.

The fairways were good for the first few holes, although a little bare, but they were definitely dusty in the run home. The bunkers are terrible, but it didn't matter because they were all GUR due to some midweek rain (they wouldn've been shit before anyway). The greens are fine and can't be complained about.

It's easy for me to see why the ACR is 77 off the blue markers. This course is loooooong. 600m+ par 5s, 430m par 4s and others over 380m, two 220m par 3s and another at 190m. However, if they think putting the tees back 60m makes it a better course they are wrong. I like it more from the whites when the hazards are in play, you have a chance of getting on par 5s in two if you take a risk and there are decisions to make. Off the blues, you step up to the tee knowing you will be hitting driver, and in my case, a fairway wood for the next shot.

Having said that, poidda carved it up, especially the back nine, where he had 39 (+3) which included a triple bogey and a birdie on a 220m par 3. He finished really strongly, and is a good chance to win the comp.
I'd expect the CCR to be at least 75.

1. poidda 81 nett 69
2. AndyP 89 nett 78

Jarro
3rd February 2007, 05:41 PM
Nice shootin' Poidda.

you burglar ;)

poidda
3rd February 2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah it was a good morning out. The course isn't atrocious, and the whole length gimick thing is just plain annoying. It doesn't add anything to the course at all, and hitting long irons into the green EVERY hole gets tiresome. There's about 3 holes on the entire course where you've got an option not to hit driver off the tee.

And as for me "carving it up", I scored shyte loads better than I played. Sinking 10 putts from 10 feet helps that for sure. I thought it was going to be a very long day on the greens after a 4-putt on the second.

Cheers for the day out AP.

BrisVegas
3rd February 2007, 08:38 PM
nice shooting poidda. won't take you long to get back to your old hcap.

peter_rs
3rd February 2007, 09:06 PM
great work poddia

Eag's
3rd February 2007, 09:21 PM
Well done poidda :smt023
There seems to be a few Oz golfers in good form at the moment :smt002

steverawlo
4th February 2007, 08:34 AM
That's it mate, get those good ones out before our matchplay. Make sure you chase them up to update your golflink too :smt002

AndyP
4th February 2007, 09:56 AM
Long? Naaah. I always fall short of the green on par 3s with my driver.

I thought it was going to be a very long day on the greens after a 4-putt on the second.
You must have been too excited about reaching the green in regulation on the toughest hole of the course.

Thanks for the day.

Make sure you chase them up to update your golflink too :smt002
LOL.

goughy
4th February 2007, 11:01 AM
That's it mate, get those good ones out before our matchplay. Make sure you chase them up to update your golflink too :smt002

That's it, keep an eye on him!

AndyP
4th February 2007, 11:12 AM
Here's a couple of snaps of the delightful 17th hole.

From the tee you can see that the hole doglegs to the left. From the blue markers it is 343m.
http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Hills/Hills%20International%2017th%20Tee.jpg

The white peg on the below photo indicates 90m to the centre of the green. The tree on the left is just off the edge of the fairway. The right tree is in the centre of it.
http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Hills/Hills%20International%2017th%20Approach.jpg

So what's the play here. Put your T-shot out to the right so you have enough room to clear the trees? Or try to pinpoint your T-shot to a point on the fairway where you can see a gap throught the trees? Or maybe you should learn to master a 120m bump and run or punch shot before playing the hole.

FWIW I didn't have to deal with these trees yesterday, as I had hooked my drive left.
poidda, what sort of shot did you have in from the right? Did the right tree interfere?

goughy
4th February 2007, 11:16 AM
120m bump and run? No probs. I've done that at City to reach the green pin high, just missing the birdie. Variety is the spice of life.

Of course, I do hate trees in the middle of fairways. It's not a fairway then to me.

AndyP
4th February 2007, 11:57 AM
Well done, poidda, on your A grade win, and NTP on the 15th, even though you didn't "carve it up". (Check the Sunday Mail)

Courty
4th February 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not into the whole arkie thing, but that tree in the fairway is just plain stupid.

Moe Norman
4th February 2007, 06:21 PM
depends really - would the hole be of any interest without the trees?

Grunt
4th February 2007, 06:44 PM
Looks very similar scenario to the 3rd at Kooindah. Is the tree in play off the tee?

AndyP
4th February 2007, 06:57 PM
No, not really. Especially not from the blues.

Other "special" trees on the course include one that you have to go over for the best line for the T-shot on the 4th, trees that need to be cut back on the 7th tee, another blocking approaches on the 10th, and another fairway centred tree on the 14th.

goughy
4th February 2007, 07:25 PM
Middle ridge has an annoying one on the 8th. It's growing over the right front bunker. Approaches can hit it and fall in the bunker. But it grows far enough out into the fairway to be in the way. Last time I played there I was on the left fairway with a 9 iron in. I hit a good shot with my standard shot shape in (slight draw) but had to aim just left of the branches; my shot finished left of the green.

I don't mind strategic things (not that I would know them if I saw them) but this just dosen't seem right.

AndyP
4th February 2007, 11:43 PM
Well done, poidda, on your A grade win, and NTP on the 15th, even though you didn't "carve it up". (Check the Sunday Mail)
Golflink tells me that the CCR was 4 over, 76 and poidda will be playing off 10.1 for the Wynnum Cup.

poidda
5th February 2007, 10:08 AM
That's just unfair

AndyP
5th February 2007, 10:10 AM
I strongly disagree, as I'm sure a few others do.

Courty
5th February 2007, 10:11 AM
Nice shooting, Poidda. ;)

BrisVegas
5th February 2007, 10:16 AM
That's just unfair

oh don't start me, Mr former-four-marker.... :-P

Eag's
5th February 2007, 10:32 AM

Ahh...I see, now the secret is out mate :)

poidda
5th February 2007, 10:41 AM

Formerly 17 years youger, 25 kilos lighter, and a lot less attractive.:???:

poidda
5th February 2007, 11:51 AM
Here's a couple of snaps of the delightful 17th hole.

FWIW I didn't have to deal with these trees yesterday, as I had hooked my drive left.
poidda, what sort of shot did you have in from the right? Did the right tree interfere?

Oh yeah. There's were a half a dozen or so very annoying trees that just did nothing but punish a good shot. on 17, I thought i'd put my drive in the right place, only to have to punch a 5 iron under the tree.

poidda
5th February 2007, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the paper bark gum tree forest they've planted between the 11th nd 12th fariways. There must be about a thousand trees all about 2 feet apart. They looked annoying, and sure enough I found them both both down and back.

AndyP
5th February 2007, 12:06 PM
How about your lipped monster putt on the 10th? Would have been the longest holed putt that I have seen, but alas it did not drop. How far do you think it was? 20m? More?

My lipped monster on the following hole was a goodun too.

poidda
5th February 2007, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It was an easy 20m I would think. Once the flag was taken out, I had no idea where the hole was.

As for your lipped putts, mayeb you should us a slightly smaller ball. You would easily have knocked 4 shots off your score if those putts had of dropped.

Courty
5th February 2007, 12:19 PM
My lipped monster on the following hole was a goodun too.

http://static.flickr.com/98/232428784_2d00ae9057.jpg

:shock:

Jarro
5th February 2007, 12:23 PM
So that's where Blake has been, doing theatre work :lol: