PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 22nd January

Jarro
24th January 2007, 01:32 PM
WooHoo .. first cab off the rank ;)

Played Nudgee today. 85 off the stick for a nett 73.

6 fairways.
6 G.I.R's
4/9 up&downs
30 putts.

PeteyD
24th January 2007, 01:40 PM
And playing tomorrow as well!

dc68
24th January 2007, 01:43 PM
WooHoo .. first cab off the rank ;)

Unlucky Grunter looks like you are in for a shit week of golf.:p

Jarro
24th January 2007, 01:54 PM
Just realised (after doing my stats) that i actually signed for an 85 when i had an 84 :(

Grunt
24th January 2007, 05:21 PM
Hey No one is allowed to play until I have played!!!!!, they are the rules!! All bad Karma until I play a game.

Jarro
24th January 2007, 06:23 PM
pull your finger out then ... what the hell are you doing !

Grunt
24th January 2007, 08:40 PM
Keeping the red rat's international fleet serviceable. Don't worry my work week is over only had to do 36 hours this week. Back next Monday. Should have a game somewhere tomorrow.

PeteyD
25th January 2007, 10:46 PM
OK as has generated much talk, 4 of us played out at Kooralbyn today. Course comments are in other threads.

I shot 98 nett 71. I suspect I am not off 27 anymore. Had 29 Putts and hit 11/14 fairways. Hit none of the par 3s. 2 pars, 4 Doubles, 1 x 11 :oops: and 11 bogeys.

Happy that I broke par with handicap = 12 balls of some sort. I need to ring tomorow to check results as they don't have golflink there yet (apparently going in on Tuesday).

AndyP
25th January 2007, 11:22 PM
Well done, PD. Hope you can keep the form going for some serious handicap reducing. Do you think you will be picking the dozen balls up in November?

PeteyD
26th January 2007, 07:30 AM
They hold them for 6 months, so I will be heading out there again before November, hopefully with an update saying the greens are improving and the fairways growing grass.

Although I think 1 needs to be replaced altogether, along with the moonscape green that was so full of pitchmarks, and 18 needs fixing. Maybe it just needs to grow in.

Jarro
26th January 2007, 07:32 AM
Pete, don't forget to ask them what the yardages/indexes are from the Black tees ... so we can update GameTrack

PeteyD
26th January 2007, 07:34 AM
Will do when I call today.

Grunt
26th January 2007, 03:00 PM
Well Played Petey, handicap will tumble now.

jimandr
26th January 2007, 06:17 PM
I was going to spend some time on the practice fairway today, to try something new, but instead I decided to try my new solution on the course, in the comp.

Big mistake. Not only didn't my solution not work, I lost my swing altogether, and it was only some good course management and chipping that reduced the damage to 33 points. I'm in ball-striking hell at the moment.

Fairways = 8 of 14, and a few very short ones in that lot
Greens in reg = 3 of 18, incl 2 of the last three
Putts = 30, 1xthreeputt, no birdies
Up and Down = 4 of 12
Sand Saves = 2 of 2.

Tomorrow, with Grant at Mac Grange, will hopefully be a very different day.

BrisVegas
26th January 2007, 09:28 PM
Got out for a 9 hole ambrose today after a few weeks without golf. Had my best ever back 9 for -3. We played my ball every shot except for the putt on 15 when the person before me holed it and I had a praccie roll and missed. We had 4 under as a team for a nett 27 3/4 and 2nd place.

33 gross
7/7 fairways
9/9 greens
15 putts

Will probably shoot 116 tomorrow.... But hey, today I was in the zone!

PeteyD
26th January 2007, 09:30 PM
Nice shooting BV

BrisVegas
26th January 2007, 09:32 PM
ta Petey. Was only 9 holes though... I've never put together two good nines at Brooky yet.

Courty
26th January 2007, 10:00 PM
Nice work, Dion. Was that at Brookwater? :shock:

Moe Norman
26th January 2007, 11:35 PM
Played 18 at Brooky.

haven't recorded by stats yet but I had 30 points (84 off the beater)

I started well, hitting it stiff to 2.5 feet on the 1st then missing the birdie putt. I couldn't get the putt out of my mind and washed te next 3 holes including two topped 4 irons that rolled about 5 metres :(

11 points on the front. As is customary with my games at Brookwater I played the back 9 pretty well for 19 points and really should have had more.

different golf course when the tees are so far forward.

BrisVegas
27th January 2007, 07:25 AM
Nice work, Dion. Was that at Brookwater? :shock:

yeah Courty, but as Moe said the tees were forward. Lots of 54 & 58 wedges!

Moe Norman
27th January 2007, 11:10 AM
i hit driver 5 times in 18 holes to give you an idea of where the tees were....

PeteyD
27th January 2007, 12:02 PM
First round of the Summer Cup today. Shot 100 off the stick for 73 (or 75 if the KV score goes in). Will still be in contention for the Salty's Cup Match play (and know more after the golf link scores go in), but need a better round next week (which is also the monthly medal).
6/14 Fairways, 34 Putts, 2 GIR, 2 Pars. I also played the whole round with the same ball. First time I have done that.

The head came off my 6 iron on the 11th :( bugger. Shot felt really ordinary and I looked down to have the face of the club looking up to the sky. Funny how something like that plays on your mind. Think I was more concered with what to do without the 6 iron than I was with playing, and stuffed that hole and the next one totally (7 and 8 on par 4s). Cost me a solid round that mental lapse.

BrisVegas
27th January 2007, 01:44 PM
Monthly Medal today at Brookwater, again the tees were forward.

76 gross for 68 nett!
10 fairways
8 GIR
28 putts

1 over the front and was going well until had 4 consecutive bogeys on the back 9. My backup iron set is missing the 9 iron and I found myself trying to hit really soft 8 irons a few times and completely stuffed (pulled or fat) each one. Made a nice birdie on the last to bring me back!

Had a hit with rick3003 while he's in town. He played awesome golf today for a 74 first time around Brooky. His iron play in particular was very strong. Great score for a first timer. He's got nothing of the tee though... and is porbably trawling ebay for a 905S as we speak!

Moe Norman
27th January 2007, 01:49 PM
nice shooting BV, especially with only 8 GIR. I'm guessing the Aristocrat Blades from the early 1800's has something to do with that !

Courty
27th January 2007, 02:24 PM
I played this morning with my buddy from Brisbane (the one who had his sticks stolen in Sinnamon Park). It was a 4BBB stableford in oppressive conditions. Bucketloads of rain yesterday afternoon and sunshine this morning made the humidity stifling. We started slowly, a few pars, a few bogies. Then something clicked. I birdied 6, 7 & 9 to finish the first 9 with 22 pts combined (I was +2 individually). Then parred the first 4 on the back followed by a birdie and 14. 2 bogies and 2 pars in the last 4 saw me finish with +1 for the 9 and 75 (+3) overall. We had 44 pts combined with me being on the card 15 times. I've no doubt that the handicapper will have a look at me for that one. Unfortunately, 44 pts probably won't even get a ball in the rundown, so I'll take a hit on the handicap for no reward. :oops:

Grunt
27th January 2007, 02:55 PM
Played with Jimandr this morning @ Macarthur Grange, was a par event and I had +3. Can't say it was pure ballstriking but it was good golf, only had 4 -'s all day, the one on the last was a bummer.

86 Gross
68 Nett
+3 result
6 Fairways
7 GIR
37 putts and that could have been at least 6 more if the second putts did not drop.
2/7 Up & downs

jimandr
27th January 2007, 06:47 PM
Macarthur Grange with Grunt today. Score, in the hated par format event, was 1 down, but I hit the ball so much better today than I did yesterday. Golf was fun again, but the golf gods took revenge by giving me some impossible chipping positions whenever I missed the green.

Fairways = 8 of 12
Greens in reg = 9 of 18
Putts = 33 - 2 threeputts, 3 birdies
Up & Down = 2 of 8, and one of three on the reachable par 5's
Penalties = 3 (a lost ball on a hole I receive a shot on)

BrisWesty
27th January 2007, 08:31 PM
Didn't play today. Think that was the best thing possible.
The car registered a maximum of 43 degrees on the ambient temperature, but never less than 36. The kids were saying "Daddy it's too hot out of the car, can we stay in the car, while you go into this shop?"
"Not on your nelly, kids."
Put the thermometer outside and it shot up to 36-37 in the shade in about 3 minutes.

Moe Norman
27th January 2007, 09:47 PM
i turfed the backyard. I think i lost 10kg and dropped 3 belt sizes.

f#ck it was hot.

Coffs_Hacker
28th January 2007, 12:15 AM
First round today in 7weeks - 28pts
Chopped it around a fair bit, mainly trying a new swing since i forgot my old one :P
8fir
5gir
37putts

cazandpaul
28th January 2007, 05:42 AM
Got the arvo off on Friday and played nicely for 40 points - a ball in the rundown as there was some good scoring.

Best news is another handicap reduction - a new goal has to be set.

Eag's
28th January 2007, 12:29 PM
Well done Paul, keep it up mate :smt023

Pinglauncher
28th January 2007, 07:36 PM
38 points this morning and pretty happy with the way I finished the round as I have bled some easy points the last few rounds.

This makes my last 6 rounds while on holidays 37, 37, 37, 37, 38 and 38.

Game has been pretty consistent but back to work tomorrow unfortunately.

AndyP
28th January 2007, 07:55 PM
This makes my last 6 rounds while on holidays 37, 37, 37, 37, 38 and 38.
Well done, PL. Has this had a major impact on the handicap, or have the CCRs been under par?

Pinglauncher
28th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Well done, PL. Has this had a major impact on the handicap, or have the CCRs been under par?

Thanks AndyP, the h/c dropped from 16 back down to 14.

The game went off for a while and I then had 6 rounds of 34 and 35 points where I was hitting the ball well but just not scoring. Seemed I could not stay out of my own way. Then the last 3 weeks have been pretty solid.

I think the lessons are slowly starting to see some more ingrained changes to my swing.

Grunt
28th January 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks AndyP, the h/c dropped from 16 back down to 14.

The game went off for a while and I then had 6 rounds of 34 and 35 points where I was hitting the ball well but just not scoring. Seemed I could not stay out of my own way. Then the last 3 weeks have been pretty solid.

I think the lessons are slowly starting to see some more ingrained changes to my swing.
Good Work Ping, I know the feeling I think my handicap is on the way down too.

poidda
29th January 2007, 10:42 AM
Played Brookwater Friday for a 81, 69 nett. Played really well but finished 7 over for the last 5 holes after a lost ball in the bunker on 15th. Brooky has fair to much sand in a lot of the bunkers.

BrisVegas
29th January 2007, 11:08 AM
there are no bunkers on 15 poidda.....

did you put your card in? might drop another shot or so...

poidda
29th January 2007, 11:19 AM
Must be 14?? The short'ish par 3 with the long green. I can never remember holes. No card in, it was just a social game.

I forgot to mention the highlight of the day was after we'd had a couple of beers at the 9, I was walking down the stairs of the clubhouse and dropped my ball. It proceeded to bounce down the path and scon my mate in the head who was in the process of pinching beers out of our cart. Luckily it didn't do to much daage, but it was piss funny. And it did cost me a few rums over the weekend.

Lowlight was our cart running out of battery on the 16th. Took for ever to get a replacement cart and walked a couple of holes in the saturating humidity. How can they not have carts fully charged????

BrisVegas
29th January 2007, 11:30 AM
probably 14. Totally agree with you, there is too much sand in the bunkers, especially on the walls/faces. I've struck a flat/nearly flat cart a couple of times there before. Thankfully they managed to bring me out a fresh one within 5 minutes both times. I think you should write a letter of complaint to Brookwater. After all, you brought 8 players out there and probably spent a heap on drinks and food etc too.

cazandpaul
29th January 2007, 03:59 PM
39 points yesterday which given the CCR is probably playing to handicap - we need some more rain to toughen the rough up a bit - at the moment there is no real penalty for missing the fairway.

Grunt
29th January 2007, 07:27 PM
39 points yesterday which given the CCR is probably playing to handicap - we need some more rain to toughen the rough up a bit - at the moment there is no real penalty for missing the fairway.

I know what thats is like Macarthur Grange almost has no rough at the moment and the run on the course is huge. On a 341m par 4 I hit an average drive that ran down the hill and was only 70m out. CCR has been 2 under every week for ages.

BrisVegas
29th January 2007, 09:59 PM
stupid CCR was 73 on Sat for me. Like Moe said, they must have been too lazy to work it out and just used the ACR... The tees were miles forward.

AndyP
29th January 2007, 10:31 PM
27/01/2007, Gainsborough Greens, Stableford.

8/14 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
34 putts.
8 shots penalised.
----------------
1 birdie.
3 pars.
9 bogeys.
2 doubles.
3 others.
Score 17-11-28pts (Par 36-36-72, H/C 11)

Debuted the new driver which had a mixed day, and cost me at least half of those shots. I started the round with similar ball striking to my last couple of rounds, but it had died out by the end of the round.

The turning point seemed to be after I nailed a drive on the short dog-leg 10th on an aggressive line across the corner, checked the chip to a few metres then three putted. I didn't par a hole thereafter. I just never got the speed of the greens right all day.

Maybe I should have just avoided putting by holing it from off the green, like I did from the greenside bunker on the 5th.

Next round: Maybe Sun 4/2 @ Gailes, if not, the Wynnum Cup.