PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hope Classic

Grunt
18th January 2007, 10:46 AM
Robert Allenby is on fire late in the 1st round of the Bob Hope Classic 10 under after 16 holes. Another player that it is good to see playing well once more is David Duval 5 under through 16. The Bob Hope classic is a great Pro Am, must be a bit tough on the Pros though 4 rounds with Amateurs before the cut. Nick Faldo commented thought the pro's know what they are getting here and if they don't like it don't play.

Eag's
18th January 2007, 11:13 AM
He shot lights out with a 9 under 63 :shock: 2 shot leader after round 1

Grunt
18th January 2007, 11:17 AM
PGA leaderboard has gone weird showing him at 9 under now. ??? Looking at his stats for the round, pretty impressive 100% Fairways, 100% GIR.

Fishman Dan
18th January 2007, 11:44 AM
Saw 5 mins of this before i came to work. The courses look to be set up very generously - extremely short rough and flags in just about the geometric centre of every green.

jimandr
19th January 2007, 12:03 AM
This is always one of the softest events on tour. The winner usually shoots better than 30 under for the 5 rounds. Tends to be a bit of a putting comp.

Still worth watching though.

Grunt
19th January 2007, 06:33 AM
This is always one of the softest events on tour. The winner usually shoots better than 30 under for the 5 rounds. Tends to be a bit of a putting comp.

Still worth watching though.

Faldo also said this in yesterday's telecast, He mentioned the winner would need at least 30 Birdies to be in the hunt for a win.

Grunt
19th January 2007, 08:01 AM
Coverage is pretty crap today, have not seen a shot of Allenby yet. In fact have seen more of the celebs than any of the pros

Fishman Dan
19th January 2007, 09:15 AM
There's great coverage of the Euro Tour Abu Dhabi open in the evenings, makes this look like a 4 hour gossip channel.

Grunt
19th January 2007, 09:17 AM
Allenby stumbled today, he is going to be 2 or 3 from the lead by the end of the day I reckon.

jimandr
24th January 2007, 09:41 PM
I watched the replay of the last round last night.

It was very interesting for a couple of reasons.

Mainly, the wind was about as strong as I've ever seen for a US Tour event. Perhaps a 4 club breeze when they were hitting dead into it. Par 5's not even close to being reachable. There was one hole that was hit in regulation by 15% of the field.

It was very noticeable how unsuitable the design was to the conditions. There were few suitable landing areas, and no alternative method once the greens got firm downwind. There was a short, downwind par 4 where they virtually couldn't stop the ball on the green. It was a narrow, plateau green with no option to play a bump and run.

And in the conditions, a guy I've never heard of, Jeff Quinney, had a hole in one on the 17th to grab a share of the lead.

I'd say some of the pro's will have a look at the weather forecast before committing to the event next year.

Speirsy11
25th January 2007, 11:04 AM
I watched the replay of the last round last night.

It was very interesting for a couple of reasons.

Mainly, the wind was about as strong as I've ever seen for a US Tour event. Perhaps a 4 club breeze when they were hitting dead into it. Par 5's not even close to being reachable. There was one hole that was hit in regulation by 15% of the field.

It was very noticeable how unsuitable the design was to the conditions. There were few suitable landing areas, and no alternative method once the greens got firm downwind. There was a short, downwind par 4 where they virtually couldn't stop the ball on the green. It was a narrow, plateau green with no option to play a bump and run.

And in the conditions, a guy I've never heard of, Jeff Quinney, had a hole in one on the 17th to grab a share of the lead.

I'd say some of the pro's will have a look at the weather forecast before committing to the event next year.

Agree 100% on the assesment of the course. Completely unsuited to the area since it is often windy (not that windy but a good breeze) and there were no options other than fly it on and hope......

Quinney was an excellent amateur. He won the US Am (2001?) and won the Western Am twice......Top college player who didn't make it through Q-School after playing in the Masters, had to play the Canadian Tour for 2 years, won a couple of times, played Nationwide and got his card last year. You'll hear more of him in the years to come.

Great to watch when he made the ace.......He's in contention, makes a 1 after his playing partner stiffs it to 10 feet, then the first guy to comeover and give him a flying high 5 is Hoffman. I can't imagine Payton Manning high fiving Urlacher after a sack in 2 weeks......