PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open Tennis

Fishman Dan
16th January 2007, 10:57 PM
Lley Lley goneski! 2 sets down and looking no chance. 2 extra weeks to shag that bogan.

Pratt run out of puff in the 3rd to go down 6-0, and this Luczak kiddie is playing ok but struggling to stay in the 2nd.

3oneday
17th January 2007, 05:38 AM
Lley Lley goneski! I for one am over his petulant ways :p but now he'll be a hero.

Shot off early Dan ??? :lol: :lol:

Flowergirl
17th January 2007, 06:32 AM
Lley Lley goneski! 2 sets down and looking no chance. 2 extra weeks to shag that bogan.

Pratt run out of puff in the 3rd to go down 6-0, and this Luczak kiddie is playing ok but struggling to stay in the 2nd.

WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG......Oh did I mention you was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnnyboy was there last night. He left after the 4th set - he still didn't get home till 1.15am.
Good game by Alicia.:mrgreen: Hope she continues to improve throughout the tournament.

Fishman Dan
17th January 2007, 09:15 AM
I thought to myself if it went to 5, he'd get up. But he never looked likely in the first 2 sets. He was being out-Lleyton'd - long rallies until the opposition falters. He just didn't have the killer punch.

This Russell fella started to miss all the corners he was putting the ball into and the game-plan started the wilter. 5 sets in that heat though, not an ideal start for him.

Looks like Luczak also ran out of steam.

AndyP
17th January 2007, 09:25 AM
Nice one, Fish. Saw the thread last night, and decided to ignore it considering we get the tennis on an hour delay. I didn't want any spoilers.
I think that was a good match for Lleyton, he needed the match practice, and he's fit enough to handle it, assuming the calf is okay.

Pratt is a very ordinary player, who has got the most out of her abilities.
I saw Luczak play last year, and he just seems to be a middle of the road player too. Can occasionally cause an upset, but loses to guys outside the top 200 too often.

Johnnyboy was there last night. He left after the 4th set - he still didn't get home till 1.15am.
Good game by Alicia.:mrgreen: Hope she continues to improve throughout the tournament.
Why would you leave early during a great comeback???? Was he trying to beat the traffic?

Alicia would want to improve pretty quick and cut down on those errors. She has the 28th seed, Pennetta next, who isn't too bad, but I think Alicia can beat her. After that, she'll probably play Schnyder.

The draw that Guccione got was disappointing. He was in good form, but got drawn Rochus, ranked in the thirties, then Grosjean, and would have then had Nalbandian.

Stosur's draw is pretty good, and I hope she can get through to at least the fourth round.

Fishman Dan
17th January 2007, 09:30 AM
You're on an hour delay in QLD?? I'd be annoyed enough to want to move south of the border!

AndyP
17th January 2007, 09:32 AM
Surely you don't expect 7 to not show quality programming like Today/Tonight and Home & Away? I was actually surprised it started at 7:30p, because in other years we've had to wait until 8:30p.

AndyP
17th January 2007, 11:18 AM
Alicia would want to improve pretty quick and cut down on those errors. She has the 28th seed, Pennetta next, who isn't too bad, but I think Alicia can beat her. After that, she'll probably play Schnyder.
Pennetta is already gone, she'll be playing a chick ranked in the 70s. BTW I thought that black number Alicia was wearing was pretty tidy.

dc68
17th January 2007, 11:24 AM
:smt104 :smt015

AndyP
17th January 2007, 11:34 AM
:smt104 :smt015
I'll keep watching if you don't mind.
http://www.ontennis.com/uploaded_images/ana_polugola-750762.jpg
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/24/kirilenko_gallery__384x400.jpg

dc68
17th January 2007, 11:36 AM
ahhhh yes cos CH7 shows them like that all the time...........sorry I forgot.

AndyP
17th January 2007, 11:38 AM
They looked fine to me when I was watching it live on the Gold Coast two weeks ago. Why would the TV be any different?

AndyP
17th January 2007, 11:41 AM
Sorry dc, I see why you aren't interested.

Here's a photo that will more than likely get you going.
http://hojoto.typepad.com/photos/my_multitudinous_husbands/arod.jpg

dc68
17th January 2007, 11:44 AM
One from your private collection eh mate?

Jarro
17th January 2007, 07:48 PM
probably got that one as his screensaver as well :p

steverawlo
17th January 2007, 08:32 PM
I'll keep watching if you don't mind.
http://www.ontennis.com/uploaded_images/ana_polugola-750762.jpg
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/24/kirilenko_gallery__384x400.jpg

Is the top one Anna Ivanovic? Top sort.:smt119

Jarro
17th January 2007, 08:58 PM
She's nor bad 'eh Steve ;)

Moe Norman
17th January 2007, 11:41 PM
DC68 - surely Tennis is more exciting that watching blokes play Rugby League?

AndyP
18th January 2007, 12:04 AM
Ana's a pretty tall girl too, probably Alicia Molik's height.

This is where a camera like Tez's comes in handy. My camera had no hope of taking a good shot with the player/racquet/ball speed.
http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Tennis%2001-07/Ivanovic1.jpg

The lineswoman in the background was making terrible decisions all day. Lucky she was hot, or she would have been given the boot...

http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Tennis%2001-07/Ivanovic2.jpg
Nice work by the ball boy.

http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Tennis%2001-07/Kirilenko1.jpg
Maria Kirilenko and hottie in the background again.

AndyP
18th January 2007, 12:16 AM
Sorry dc, I haven't got any photos for you, as it was a women's event. You'll just have to make do with your 2007 Hardbodies of League calendar or whatever you've got.

terryand
18th January 2007, 12:36 AM
I'd have no chance of getting my camera into an event like that.

Terry.

Jarro
18th January 2007, 06:20 AM
AndyP, and half-decent cameraman knows that when taking pic's of women tennis players, you must take the shot when they are in their follow-through.

dc68
18th January 2007, 10:31 AM

Mate I would even watch GAYFL rather than tennis.
Hell I would even watch Collingwont vs Hawthorn

Sorry dc, I haven't got any photos for you, as it was a women's event. You'll just have to make do with your 2007 Hardbodies of League calendar or whatever you've got.

:roll: :smt078

Grunt
18th January 2007, 05:16 PM
Just watched the Hewitt match, gee I am not confident that he can go much further, he really struggled again until the other gut started to feel the effects of a back injury of some sort. Leyton served a heap of Double faults. I know F all about tennis but in just watching I can see when a guy is doing it easy or not.

Jarro
18th January 2007, 05:24 PM

No way.

.. however it is way more interesting than RahRah and that bloody godawful GAYFL.

Fishman Dan
18th January 2007, 05:26 PM
I've got to say tennis is the best cure for sleepless nights. I'll watch the teev until bedtime, switch it on in the bedroom, and i'm gone before another point is completed.

AndyP
18th January 2007, 05:27 PM
If Lleyton can't polish off the two hacks he's played so far, then he'll definitely struggle to get much further, although his draw isn't too bad.
That said, the early rounds is when you can afford to struggle. Good to see him coming into the net more too.

Molik had a win today too. Started ordinary, but came good again. I'm sure she'll be back near the top of the rankings by the end of the year. She just needs to play matches.

Stosur on tonight to hopefully make it a good day for the Aussies. She'll hopefully be in the top 20 by the end of the year too, if not sooner.
Go Sammy!

Jarro
18th January 2007, 05:28 PM
.. just give Federer the trophy now and be done with it :roll:

Grunt
18th January 2007, 05:33 PM
.. just give Federer the trophy now and be done with it :roll:
Isn't that the way every Tournament is run, if he is in it, it is his

AndyP
18th January 2007, 06:21 PM
He's still the one, but surely it won't stay that way.

Nadal is the main challenger, and has a great record against the Fed Express, especially on clay.

Roddick seems to be adding new stuff to his game, and would have beaten Fed in last years Masters Cup if he didn't choke.

Then there is a whole bunch of new guys who look the goods, like Murray, Gasquet, Djokovic, etc.

AndyP
21st January 2007, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately the last of the Aussies were knocked out tonight, with Molik and Hewitt losing. For the second year in a row, there are no locals in the second week of the tournament. It's disappointing, but not overly surprising.

BrisWesty
21st January 2007, 12:35 AM

Ana Ivanovary?

Jarro
25th January 2007, 08:53 PM
So Serena and her arse won through to the final then :roll: I was hoping she'd get knocked out, can't stand her high opinion of herself :p

Looks like tonights match between Roddick and Federer will be a ripper :)

goughy
25th January 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm glad to here that Roddick felt he was closing the gap on Federer. I'd hate to think he'd have lost 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

Man has that man got some shots. Just freaky. I haven't watched much tennis since sampras quit, but I did enjoy that.

AndyP
25th January 2007, 11:24 PM
Federer is a machine. He was just cruising through the first few rounds and stepped up tonight. Good luck to either Haas or Gonzalez in the final, coz they are going to need it.

goughy
25th January 2007, 11:36 PM
Did he even break a sweat? Roddick really had a look of pure wonderment out there. He just had no idea what to do. Federer was hitting winners from shots of Roddicks that should have been winners in their own right.

This is the type of tennis I can watch. I say reduce the compression of the ball and get it back to the all court game again.

Moe Norman
25th January 2007, 11:38 PM
there were a couple of extraordinary moments.

Roddick fired one down the T at about 215km/h and was walking to hit his next serve thinking it was an ace. It came back at his feet with interest and he barely got his racket on it. The look on his face was priceless.

goughy
25th January 2007, 11:48 PM
I haven't seen enough tennis to say whether I'm a fan of this new system of correct and incorrect challenges that the players can now make. But I saw 3 that Federer made. The first was on a roddick serve called an ace - challenge showed the ball out. The second was on a Federer serve, his challenge showing the ball in (by the bearest of margins). The third on a federer winner called out that was overrulled in on the successful challenge.

Roddick looked like he wanted to dig a hole and curl up in it. It was a face of pure 'there is nothing I can do right'!

AndyP
25th January 2007, 11:50 PM
The challenge system stinks.
Hawkeye hasn't convinced me that it is always right in tennis or cricket. And to only have it available on one court in the tournament is a joke. They should have it on all courts (which is too expensive) or none at all.

goughy
26th January 2007, 12:16 AM
Didn't know that P. It's all or nothing in my opinion. Everyone should have the right.

Jarro
26th January 2007, 07:57 AM
there were a couple of extraordinary moments.

Roddick fired one down the T at about 215km/h and was walking to hit his next serve thinking it was an ace. It came back at his feet with interest and he barely got his racket on it. The look on his face was priceless.

What about the half-volley he fired back after Roddick threw one deep into the court :shock:

The guy never looked troubled at all.

goughy
26th January 2007, 08:27 AM
My fav was when roddick fired one into the deep backhand corner and followed to the net favouring the backhand side. Federer passed him with a chiped backhand down the line that roddick had no chance. Roddicks head dropped.

BrisWesty
27th January 2007, 08:25 PM
Gonzales looked like he couldn't miss last night against Haas.

And Grunt beat Shriekapova in the ladies' final.

Grunt
27th January 2007, 08:31 PM
And Grunt beat Shriekapova in the ladies' final.

I know I am rough around the edges but that is about as low as anyone has ever gone.

BrisWesty
28th January 2007, 03:00 PM
LOL Grunt, you ain't that tanned.

If Gonzo goes gonzo tonight (like he has in his last few matches), we could be in for a treat. Winners from everywhere from both players.

goughy
28th January 2007, 03:54 PM
could be another mens final like last year. Even if only 3 sets, might be pretty exciting.

Jarro
28th January 2007, 04:02 PM
Anybody willing to tip an upset ?

Not me.

Grunt
28th January 2007, 04:08 PM
I am backing the underdog

AndyP
28th January 2007, 05:22 PM
Nothing has happened in this tournament to make me change my mind about Federer winning.

Jarro
28th January 2007, 05:37 PM
I am backing the underdog

you'd be used to that ;)

PeteyD
28th January 2007, 08:25 PM
Go Gonzo!!

AndyP
28th January 2007, 08:55 PM
Great first set. I hope the quality of tennis continues.

Grunt
28th January 2007, 09:14 PM
Kool backed Federer for the first set win. Gonzo for the match.

goughy
28th January 2007, 09:17 PM
And then when Federer decides it's time for the break he just goes ahead and makes one. Damn that was some angle on that forehand winner.

AndyP
28th January 2007, 09:34 PM
Forever the optimist, Grunt.

AndyP
28th January 2007, 10:11 PM
What a great win by the most dominant sportsman in the world......

Only a few more grand slam wins needed to pass that hack Sampras.

goughy
28th January 2007, 10:13 PM
That last game was a bit like "thanks for coming, but don't send a boy to do a mans job"!

Eag's
28th January 2007, 10:17 PM
What a great win by the most dominant sportsmen in the world......

Only a few more grand slam wins needed to pass that hack Sampras.

In your opinion :smt002

Jarro
29th January 2007, 06:22 AM
Truly magnificent performance, the guy is a real genius on the court.

He seems more dominant than Sampras was (IMO) and only has 4 more GS wins to go to catch the record ..... he should do it easily if he stays fit and on-court.

Courty
29th January 2007, 09:44 AM
What a great win by the most dominant sportsmen in the world......

Was someone else helping Federer? :shock:

;)

Pretty good match from what I saw (I was mostly watching Oram cart the Ozzies around the WACA). Federer won it in a canter.

AndyP
29th January 2007, 09:57 AM
That's it! I'm going to scour back through all your old posts for errors. And yes, I do have time.

Courty
29th January 2007, 10:08 AM
:lol:

A bit grumpier than usual this morning? Monday's will do that to you. :mrgreen: