PDA

View Full Version : Courses to avoid!!

Grunt
15th January 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi all

I just thought I would start a thread where people can post info on courses that should be avoided at the moment due to their condition/maintenance. I will add some courses no doubt as i play a fair few.

First off the rank.

Liverpool Golf Club

Greens are way too long/slow. After losing a few greens last summer they are now letting them grow way to much. It is not as if they are like some other clubs with a lack of water. They have an almost unlimited supply of recycled sewage. They could water the daylights out of them and look after them accordingly.
Not only are the greens slow they are also hard, the lob shots bounce hard and skip along the greens
Bunkers are of two distinct types, new ones are great, fluffy new sand in each of them. The rest are like concrete with about an inch of sand before the clay base is hit. I was told that they have run out of money to replace all the bunkers but another $170 000 will be available at the end of this year.A member I played there with today told me that the older guys were told about 20 years ago of the potential of the course. He then added that he has not seen anything that has been done to make it reach that potential.

PeteyD
15th January 2007, 03:28 PM
How did they lose them ?? Were they behind the toilets having a smoke?

Grunt
15th January 2007, 03:31 PM
The greenkeepers stuffed up a weed treatment. On NYD last year we had a 40*+ day and the treatment burnt the greens to the extent that they were left with just dirt. The 3rd green has still not recovered 12 months later.
Bankstown suffered a similar story but they have recovered the course well. I played there last week.

AndyP
15th January 2007, 03:33 PM
Pacific Golf Club

Charges visitors too much
The proshop has been known to be a bit rude
Really grumpy members

dc68
15th January 2007, 03:44 PM
:---)

This is meant for The Nambour tosser.

Jarro
15th January 2007, 03:50 PM
homeless prick :p

Fishman Dan
15th January 2007, 04:03 PM
Magenta Shores due to it's flagrant abuse of basic design principles.

Jarro
16th January 2007, 07:59 AM
I'm still waiting for Moe to give us all a good reason to stay away from NorthLakes ?

miro
16th January 2007, 08:04 AM
Um becasue its a horrible course?

Jarro
16th January 2007, 08:13 AM
I like the place though

Fishman Dan
16th January 2007, 08:15 AM
I like the place though

I can name 1 reason then.

Jarro
16th January 2007, 08:16 AM
I can name 1 reason then.

Ahh, didn't take long :roll:

Ever played the course Dan ?

Fishman Dan
16th January 2007, 03:44 PM
Jarro - i don't regularly pop up to the coast for a quick 9 at Northlakes, no.

goughy
16th January 2007, 05:12 PM
Sorry, 990b, but Jindalee.

Jarro
16th January 2007, 06:56 PM
Jarro - i don't regularly pop up to the coast for a quick 9 at Northlakes, no.

Then don't comment on the subject then :razz:

Andrew
16th January 2007, 08:00 PM
The Coast GC in Sydney is one to miss these days, not only due to what the course is, but also for what the course could be. It’s really disappointing.

There are a lot of little courses throughout the British Isles that are not famous championship courses, but are truly lovely to play. The Coast had the potential to be considered ‘truly lovely’, but is now so far from it, it’s not funny.

And yet again, the ruination of a golf course is due to greedy developers & poor course architecture.

Fishman Dan
17th January 2007, 08:03 AM
Then don't comment on the subject then :razz:

I never said anything about the course ;)

3oneday
17th January 2007, 08:18 AM
reason to stay away from NorthLakes ?can't say it gave me a woody, I will always remember playing the same hole twice, at different parts of the course :shock:

Jarro
17th January 2007, 02:59 PM
can't say it gave me a woody, I will always remember playing the same hole twice, at different parts of the course :shock:

.. well at least you would've had a chance to replay all the bad shots you had first time around :p

Andrew
17th January 2007, 03:36 PM
can't say it gave me a woody, I will always remember playing the same hole twice, at different parts of the course :shock:

Isn't that more a comment on your ability to get a woody, than what the course is like.

marcel
17th January 2007, 03:39 PM
And yet again, the ruination of a golf course is due to greedy developers & poor course architecture.

Now considered a Doak 0.5, making The Australian a 10 times better course, ...........oh the humanity.

Andrew
17th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Now considered a Doak 0.5, making The Australian a 10 times better course, ...........oh the humanity.

I think there are many courses that Tom avoids. The Coast may be one of them, although it is interesting that Ran Morrissett mentions it in one of his essays, probably written when he was living in Sydney about 8 years ago.

jimandr
26th January 2007, 05:22 PM
Back to the topic, sort of.

I won't be inviting any of the NSW OzGolfers to my home course, Camden Valley, until the drought breaks. The course is ultra-dry. Not much grass on the fairways, and virtually no grass in the rough. Preferred lies, but you still battle to find grassy spots on a few fairways.

The greens will be cored and sanded in March, to add to the misery.

Fishman Dan
30th January 2007, 10:59 AM
Fo... FORE!

Fox H.. FORE!!!!!!

Fox Hills. *&(^ mate, give us a call if your ball is headed at the trees!

Bloody dangerous course.

Speirsy11
30th January 2007, 11:13 AM
Grunt's home course.....Can't remember the name (and am too lazy to search for it). Sorry G, but that place was not well designed or well cared for.....

AndyP
30th January 2007, 11:16 AM
Avoid most courses that Peter Thomson has done design work on.........

dc68
30th January 2007, 11:16 AM
Hmmm did he consult at Nambour at all?

AndyP
30th January 2007, 11:21 AM
Played there recently?
I've never said that Nambour is great, and it doesn't pretend to be, unlike certain other courses.

dc68
30th January 2007, 11:28 AM
I was just asking.

Trung
30th January 2007, 11:43 AM
Fo... FORE!

Fox H.. FORE!!!!!!

Fox Hills. *&(^ mate, give us a call if your ball is headed at the trees!

Bloody dangerous course.

I was a member there, my mate Chris hit a kid right on the forehead. I saw & heard the "ting" sound of the kid's forehead from 150m away.

Chris got a new nick name.. "KKK".. "Kill Kid Kris"

Fishman Dan
1st February 2007, 06:48 AM
Avoid most courses that Peter Thomson has done design work on.........

Excluding Ocean Shores. I think he had a hand in this, although I don't think it's exclusively a Thompson course.. someone who knows feel free to correct me.

Andrew
1st February 2007, 07:26 AM
Dan,

I think Ocean Shores was originally a Devlin/Von Hagge course. Thomson was not involved with the original design. He may have been used in an advisory capacity when the course was brought back from the dead, but I don’t think so.

It definitely doesn’t have any Thomson features.

gazgolf1
1st February 2007, 07:56 AM
Ashgrove g.c......why?......because it sucks.

Courty
1st February 2007, 08:09 AM
I played Ashgrove a few years ago. I thought it was ok considering the limited space there was to build a course in that location.

AndyP
1st February 2007, 09:11 AM
limited space
There's part of the reason for not playing there. It depends how much you value your life.

Jarro
1st February 2007, 03:09 PM
Ashgrove is crap :p

McCoy
1st February 2007, 03:35 PM
May as well add Samford then, it's not too bad when there's been rain but play it when it's dry and it just sux. I've a great ding in the sole of the 3i, after hitting from the centre of the 18th fairway.

agave
8th March 2007, 10:08 AM
Just played Liverpool and can wholly agree Grunt .Greens are too furry and some bunkers are almost impoosible to stop even when clipped perfectly .Very disappointing for an a grade course

McCoy
8th March 2007, 06:27 PM
And obviously we want to avoid Kooindah, Sunday April 15 2007.

AndyP
8th March 2007, 06:29 PM
It's amazing how quickly you've picked up the Sydney spirit, McCoy.

McCoy
8th March 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks Andy. I've noticed these points should be followed:

1. Carry a can of spray paint
2. Carry a knife
3. Ignore everybody
4. Use your spray paint can to graffiti anything and everything
5. Do not mow your lawn
6. Throw garbage everywhere
7. It gets dark early when you tee off after 2pm
8. Don't eat any fish you catch
9. It's quicker to get to the Gold Coast from Brisbane than it is for a Sydney OzGolfer to travel 5 kilometres
10. Stab

AndyP
8th March 2007, 08:08 PM
:lol:
I found post #44 helpful, especially point 10.

Courty
8th March 2007, 08:46 PM

2. Carry a knife
10. Stab

You sure you're not Ducky? :-s

TS
8th March 2007, 09:23 PM

1. Carry a can of spray paint
2. Carry a knife
3. Ignore everybody
4. Use your spray paint can to graffiti anything and everything
5. Do not mow your lawn
6. Throw garbage everywhere
7. It gets dark early when you tee off after 2pm
8. Don't eat any fish you catch
9. It's quicker to get to the Gold Coast from Brisbane than it is for a Sydney OzGolfer to travel 5 kilometres
10. Stab

Good to see you are enjoying Sydney, wouldn't want you to bored.

Hooker
9th March 2007, 08:09 PM
The Coast GC in Sydney is one to miss these days, not only due to what the course is, but also for what the course could be. It’s really disappointing.

There are a lot of little courses throughout the British Isles that are not famous championship courses, but are truly lovely to play. The Coast had the potential to be considered ‘truly lovely’, but is now so far from it, it’s not funny.

Greedy developers , another good example ...... Katoomba golf course.

Never a great course but was a good hit on a weekend up the mountains.

Again ruined by greedy developers.

Grunt
27th October 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi all

I just thought I would start a thread where people can post info on courses that should be avoided at the moment due to their condition/maintenance. I will add some courses no doubt as i play a fair few.

First off the rank.

Liverpool Golf Club

Greens are way too long/slow. After losing a few greens last summer they are now letting them grow way to much. It is not as if they are like some other clubs with a lack of water. They have an almost unlimited supply of recycled sewage. They could water the daylights out of them and look after them accordingly.
Not only are the greens slow they are also hard, the lob shots bounce hard and skip along the greens
Bunkers are of two distinct types, new ones are great, fluffy new sand in each of them. The rest are like concrete with about an inch of sand before the clay base is hit. I was told that they have run out of money to replace all the bunkers but another $170 000 will be available at the end of this year.

A member I played there with today told me that the older guys were told about 20 years ago of the potential of the course. He then added that he has not seen anything that has been done to make it reach that potential.

Will have to rub Liverpool off the not to play list. Played there today and gee they have finally decided to tidy the place up.

All the bunkers have now got sand in them. Most bunkers have had the surrounds rebuilt wit hnew grass laid around them. At the moment it is all GUR around bunker work but bunkers are in play and have a white sand in them instead of the old brown dirt they had.
The 3rd green has almost recovered. Greens are still hard but coring is being done the week after next. It does seem to be coming together.

The course is actually in better nick at the moment than it was when it was hosting the NSW Open a few years ago.
I definitely will go back there and list it as a regular course for me.

rick3003
27th October 2008, 05:16 PM
Good to hear Grunt. Liverpool has always been one of my favourite tracks - awesome layout. Do they still have an open day on Sunday?

Grunt
27th October 2008, 05:34 PM
Not sure if Sunday is still open but Mondays & Thursdays are. I am thinking of going back this Thursday for another hit. I am a sadist, it tears me a new one every time but I go back for more.

razaar
9th November 2008, 04:19 PM
Excluding Ocean Shores. I think he had a hand in this, although I don't think it's exclusively a Thompson course.. someone who knows feel free to correct me.

In 1972, Cliff Meredith, superintendent of The Lakes Golf Club was commissioned to construct Ocean Shores Golf Club. This was the first golf course in Australia to have tifdwarf greens. More trivia....tifdwarf was introduced into Australia from the USA in 1969. A small piece of this bermuda was sent to Meredith in the post, from which he started a nursery in Sydney. By the time the CSIRO found out about it, tifdwarf was established in hundreds of bowling clubs around Australia. According to early CSIRO reports, this strain of bermuda exudes something at night which can be harmful to grape vines.

As to who designed Ocean Shores....maybe Pat Boone!!

Tongueboy
15th November 2008, 07:08 PM
Horizons. Due to the gfa factor.

razaar
17th November 2008, 06:59 PM
Keperra was wiped out yesterday by a freak storm which left the course like it has gone through a category 5 cyclone. The devastation has to be seen to be believed. We live within a kilometre of the course, it was the scariest hour we can remember and we have been through two cyclones. Don't plan on playing at Keperra for a couple of months.

damoocow
17th November 2008, 10:38 PM
Posted something similar in another thread- a shame really that Keperra seems to cop the brunt of most Northside storms - lets hope it gets sorted pretty quick - razaar - can you describe any damage you've seen to either the clubhouse or course ?

razaar
17th November 2008, 11:13 PM
Trees down everywhere looks like a major land clearing programme before the dozers get to work stacking into rows. The name "Keperra" is the local aboriginal name for a place where the initiation ceremonies take place at which boys were admitted to full manhood (bora rings). Well Keperra has just been scalped and circumcised.

tracy16
26th November 2008, 03:22 AM
i havent played a lot of courses, started playing last year, so i can give just tip for beginner's. do not play benadict in mallorca, takes a lot of time and you will not be able to try out other courses..... :cry:

bennyfabulous
17th December 2008, 11:29 AM
Waterford valley in melbourne (really nice course but both times ive played it, on a monday, it was still tricked up from a special comp on the weekend and far too difficult with pins and pace of greens)