PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 15th January

Grunt
15th January 2007, 01:11 PM
Had one of those days at golf where nothing was going as planned. Last minute decision last night to book a round through the golf link site. Decided on Liverpool as it was close and I could get a morning tee time. I should not have bothered, Liverpool dont look for updates after Friday so I got there and no tee slot was booked. Had to wait 40 minutes for a group:( It just went downhill from there. Slow group, Greens that long that most backyards are shorter and faster, golf went downhill as well.

26 Points :(
102 Gross :(
8 Fairways
4 GIR
10 putts either lipped out or stopped on the cup :? Could not get the pace of the greens, they were sooo slow.
One good thing to come out of the day was when the Driver worked and I mean worked, I hit a few 250+ drives and that is almost unheard of for me. It just was one of those days where you don't play that bad but just can't score.

Grunt
16th January 2007, 02:36 PM
Played at Cromer's Annual Open day this morning, what a great course. It bit me hard but I really enjoyed it (sad bastard aren't I?). Will go back again for sure!
Golf wise it was not good;
24 points
1 birdie:mrgreen:
3 pars
5 wipes:smt087
34 putts :?

I know todays score was worse than yesterday but in all honesty I played better today. I hit more fairways, sank more putts. I was hitting the driver too good too, I found Fairway bunkers that a few weeks ago would not be in play for me off the tee.It was just the times I got caught out with little creek crossings in front of greens. I took a bail out on the par 3 15th and didn't know that there was water to the right of the green too:cry:. On the 12th I hit the ball too well and ran through the green in to the water. Was definitely a good shot - bad shot day.
My tee shot on the 4th, a 135m par 3 was the sweetest 8i I have ever hit. It hit the green and ran up to the hole, the group ahead started cheering and it stopped 2cm short:-D, I know it could have dropped and been better but it was a NTP hole, so I should win myself half a dozen Callaway Blacks unless somebody holes it.

Will definitely have another go at Cromer if I get the chance in the future.

BrisWesty
17th January 2007, 09:21 AM
84/71 at Caboolture on Monday. 38/46 for each 9, so was 5 under hcp after 10 holes, and then let it slip through my fingers. 32 putts, it was pretty grainy and slow, so had a lot of trouble getting the ball to the hole.

Having another bash this arvo.

cazandpaul
17th January 2007, 03:40 PM
Net 70 (par 71) this morning - 36 putts:oops: says it all.

Grunt
17th January 2007, 03:42 PM
Played @ Leura this morning with Andrew
30 points
5 fairways
3 GIR
35 putts
1/6 Up & Downs
could have been better but could have been worse too.

Fishman Dan
17th January 2007, 04:39 PM
Oooh, another issue of GruntGolfer is out. 35 putts... how could it have been worse?

3oneday
17th January 2007, 08:28 PM
Oooh, another issue of GruntGolfer is out. 35 putts... how could it have been worse?but but but, 2 days ago we were putting well ?

BrisWesty
17th January 2007, 11:41 PM
Easy 37 points at Caboolture. 83 off the stick. 1 birdie. Only 4 fairways (but 11/13 effective tee shots), 3 GIRs and 30 putts without putting very well. Hit some big drives by my standards.

Moe Norman
18th January 2007, 12:00 AM
lost touch footy 5-3. I scored 2 of the 3 tries, but my lack of pace at my current weight is really letting me down. I think I came out even, because 2 of their tries were me defending/resting on the wing and little blokes just running straight around me !

PeteyD
18th January 2007, 09:50 AM
lost touch footy 5-3. I scored 2 of the 3 tries, but my lack of pace at my current weight is really letting me down. I think I came out even, because 2 of their tries were me defending/resting on the wing and little blokes just running straight around me !

Wait until your knees go and turning becomes a distant memory!

Flowergirl
18th January 2007, 01:11 PM
Easy 37 points at Caboolture. 83 off the stick. 1 birdie. Only 4 fairways (but 11/13 effective tee shots), 3 GIRs and 30 putts without putting very well. Hit some big drives by my standards.
You are in good form at the moment Mark. Well played:smt002

Grunt
19th January 2007, 06:43 PM
Played @ Twin Creeks today. What a great course, shot 34 points with 3 wipes(35 won it) so it could have been better had 4 pars. Was hitting most of the fairways and had only one 3 putt (on the 17th green I was about 70 feet from the hole). Best of all was coming 2nd on the day :) Won a Club for it.

Grunt
20th January 2007, 01:16 PM
Had my best round @ Macarthur Grange ever! today.
83 Gross
42 points
8 fairways
4 GIR
5/12 Up & Downs
1/3 Sand saves
Partner player well too and we had 49 points in the 2BBB, 42 was not good enough for a win but it should result in shots off the Handicap. Good to get it moving the right way for the year. Also I played today like it was just another practice round trying to make sure I was using the correct swing and not go back to the old one. It did result in poor tee shots for length but I played smart for a change and the score reflects this.

Moe Norman
20th January 2007, 01:53 PM
Wait until your knees go and turning becomes a distant memory! One down one to go mate. My right knee has had 3 ops, the last one was to remove all the cartiledge. The surgeon told me it would be arthritic by the time I'm 30 :(

goughy
20th January 2007, 03:51 PM
Best of all was coming 2nd on the day :) Won a Club for it.

And you don't even tell us what club it is! Shame on you. Some good golf going on around the sticks.

Grunt
20th January 2007, 04:15 PM
And you don't even tell us what club it is! Shame on you. Some good golf going on around the sticks.

It was a Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle I mentioned it in another thread "grunt's Golf Adventure"

BrisWesty
20th January 2007, 04:23 PM
Didn't want to play Ambrose at Caboolture so played Wantima (Par 70 -35/35) for the first time today.

Stroke round - 79/66. Started off with 6 pars followed by a birdie. (Couldn't believe it). Helps if you chip close enough to 1 putt 6x in a row. Made the turn at 36 (after 3 putting the 9th for bogey - nooooo!) and triple bogeyed the 11th by hitting oob (oops). Left putts hanging over the hole on the 15th & 16th holes, but came home in 43.

4 fairways, 6 GIR, 29 putts.

Pretty ecstatic about it all really, but course will probably rate at 67 or so.

Edit: Course rated at 69, so down to 12.4 (my new lowest ever handicap)!

AndyP
20th January 2007, 04:45 PM
20/01/2007, Nambour GC, 4BBB Stroke.

8/12 effective fairways.
6/18 effective approaches.
8/13 up & down successes.
28 putts.
-----------------
1 birdie.
9 pars.
6 bogeys.
2 others.
Score 39-40-79 nett 67 (Par 34-34-68 ACR 65)

When playing 4BBB events, you don't really take much notice of how you are going individually, and I actually didn't think I was travelling that well. Looking back, I wasn't going too bad at all.

Although I'm still not completely happy with the driving, there was nothing too messy. Putting was okay, but maybe a little heavy (which I got away with), and it was noted that I mostly missed on the low side.
Irons were shabby to start with, but by the end I was definitely striking it better.

Another round that was thereabouts, but surely my form is going to swing one way or the other at some stage. It will be interesting to see how I go playing there again tomorrow.

Next round: 21/1, Nambour GC, Stableford.

McCoy
20th January 2007, 06:36 PM
Wantima, the smell of effluent certainly adds "character" to the course. We had a work day there, played the back 9 and I won by 13 shots!! I only shot a 39 so it gives you an idea of how bad the rest were. One guy took 11 shots to get out of the bunker on the 10th.

I'm in the middle of a southern Victorian trip and have played Warragul and Drouin. Tomorrow looking at Traralgon or Trafalgar.
Half of Warragul is closed to redo the fairways and it's a pretty ordinary course anyway. Drouin is worth a look if you're down this way, 27 holes and you can pay $22 to play all day. I shot +4 at Warragul for the back 9 and +9 at Drouin for the 18.

BrisWesty
20th January 2007, 08:53 PM
You're right about the perfume at the east end of the course. That was however matched by the odour of a dead, bloated moggy in the culvert just off the 10th green!

Grunt
21st January 2007, 11:06 AM
Had my best round @ Macarthur Grange ever! today.
83 Gross
42 points
8 fairways
4 GIR
5/12 Up & Downs
1/3 Sand saves
Partner player well too and we had 49 points in the 2BBB, 42 was not good enough for a win but it should result in shots off the Handicap. Good to get it moving the right way for the year. Also I played today like it was just another practice round trying to make sure I was using the correct swing and not go back to the old one. It did result in poor tee shots for length but I played smart for a change and the score reflects this.

Got done for the win by 2 shots and a shot in the 2BBB ohh well. One positive is the handicap is back heading in the right direction, 17.9 now, not far from my lowest handicap ever.:mrgreen:

AndyP
21st January 2007, 05:33 PM
21/01/2007, Nambour GC (White), Stableford.

11/12 effective fairways.
9/18 effective approaches.
7/10 up & down successes.
29 putts.
-----------------
2 birdies.
11 pars.
4 bogeys.
1 double.
Score 35-37-72 stab 23-21-44pts (Par 34-34-68 ACR 65)

It will be interesting to see how I go playing there again tomorrow.
I can't say I didn't see something like this coming, as I felt like something just needed to click. And today it did, when the iron shots finally came out to play.

I would have much preferred to finish with par-birdie (for even par), than double bogey-bogey, but I don't think I will complain too much. The score is definitely my record vs par, and I'll have to wait and see what the CCR does. I should have a new low in handicap too (currently 11.6), but I doubt that I will be off 10.

I'd be disappointed if I don't win the comp, as the field will be pretty small.

Sorry Chops, you got me as a partner a day early......

Next planned round: 12/2, Wynnum Cup.

BrisWesty
21st January 2007, 07:20 PM
Fantastic effort AndyP. 44 points is great.

Played at Woodford (Par 72) today. The greens have been scarified and are going to be cored tomorrow. Lets just say if you were putting along the train tracks it was OK, otherwise it was a bit hit & hope. Had one putt jump off line a foot before the hole and end up 6" directly behind the hole without even touching the edge of the hole.

If you want to play there, wait till the greens settle down a bit.

36 putts (only 2 1 putts and 2 3 putts)
9 GIR (very happy with this)
4 fairways (8/14 effective)

37 points for my first A-Grade round! 83/71, but golflink rated the course at 69, so I've gone back out to 12.5 (13).

"B-Grade, I'm baaack!"

Fishman Dan
21st January 2007, 07:49 PM
36 points - again.

I'm still struggling to break it open. Today I came from the car to the Pro Shop, to the first tee and was soon struggling. Spent much of the day 2 shots down, and finished with 2 pars to finish with 36 points (15/21).

31 putts with at least 6 attempts short of the middle of the hole.
1 birdie (index 18)
1 wipe (Index 1) :roll:

Jarro
21st January 2007, 07:51 PM
Some nice scoring there Ozgolfers ... well done 8)

Eag's
21st January 2007, 08:22 PM
Very nice shooting AndyP :smt023

shazza_rs
21st January 2007, 09:01 PM
Saturday 20/1/07 - 4BBB Stroke
-------------------------------
Paired up with Pete for this... we were good enough for a 64 (32-32) par is 70. We combined fairly well, when one had a shocking hole, the other usually played quite good.

Net 55 was the winning score.

Sunday 21/1/07 - Stroke - Redcliffe - Hackers
--------------------------------------------
Had a 89/74. Ladies par is 73. I was only 5 over after the first nine.... faded on the back nine.... it got rather hot out there. And the stubbies of GOLD were only $2.50 at the half way house. ;)

I have been having a bout of the shanks with my wedges lately...... i'm fine with every other club, soon as you put a wedge in my hand and it is a half/three-quarter swing I start putting them 45 degrees to the right.

After about 100 balls at the range on thursday, I was starting to see a breakthrough. Thanks Jamie and Pete for persisting with me. If nothing i have excellent hand-eye coordination. ;)

Happy to report I only had one today and it was due to tiredness rather than technique.

BrisVegas
21st January 2007, 09:05 PM
Good work AndyP.

Courty
22nd January 2007, 10:21 AM
Well done, Andy.

Results from Royal Adelaide yesterday:
Courty: 85
Chris32: 89
marcel: 81/82? (to be confirmed)

AndyP
22nd January 2007, 03:46 PM
Well done, Andy.
Thanks for telling me that I was still overswinging. I pulled it back yesterday, and I was hitting the ball much better.

Courty
22nd January 2007, 04:43 PM
The invoice for my coaching is in the mail. ;)

AndyP
22nd January 2007, 05:21 PM
I should have a new low in handicap too (currently 11.6), but I doubt that I will be off 10.

I'd be disappointed if I don't win the comp, as the field will be pretty small.
My new lowest handicap is 10.6, and I won the comp by 5. Sweeet!

Jarro
22nd January 2007, 05:44 PM

see what happens when you Ho and get a new driver ;)

AndyP
22nd January 2007, 05:46 PM
No. I was using my SMT DB455, and I don't think it did anything special.

Jarro
22nd January 2007, 05:47 PM
Well, imagine how well you'll shoot when you get the new one.

That is, as long as you aren't having second thoughts about replacing it ;)

Eag's
22nd January 2007, 05:49 PM
Good luck with the new Hcp Andy :smt023
I have enough trouble playing to 13 :smt086

Jarro
22nd January 2007, 05:53 PM
He'll be right Richard, he'll just keep hitting those effective tee-shots and everything will work out hunky-dory :mrgreen:

Moe Norman
22nd January 2007, 06:07 PM
hahaha - can someone explain to me what an 'effective tee shot' is?

is it when you spray it, but you still kind of have a shot at the green?

Jarro
22nd January 2007, 06:11 PM
I think that's how it works Moe

Flowergirl
22nd January 2007, 06:16 PM

Well done AndyP. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Proud of you.:smt002

Fishman Dan
22nd January 2007, 07:14 PM

Won by 5? What a waste of handicap!!

Moe Norman
22nd January 2007, 08:09 PM
my 43 points got me a ball.

Must be some serious burgulars out at Macleod!

AndyP
22nd January 2007, 08:33 PM
Good luck with the new Hcp Andy :smt023
I have enough trouble playing to 13 :smt086
Thanks again all. I've played off 11 for a while now, but drifted out to 12 recently. If I can just drop one more notch, I'll be off 10 for the first time.

hahaha - can someone explain to me what an 'effective tee shot' is?

is it when you spray it, but you still kind of have a shot at the green?
I'm pretty sure we've done this routine before.

Won by 5? What a waste of handicap!!
True, but it was only a field of 20 for the Sunday comp. Because of that I wouldn't expect much more than a $10 voucher. So I guess it really was a waste.

BrisVegas
22nd January 2007, 08:52 PM
see what happens when you Ho and get a new driver ;)

what's this??? tell us more andy....