PDA

View Full Version : An injured nerds piece of advice

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2004, 05:26 PM
Just a heads-up about Microsoft XP Service Pack 2. If you install it and can't get internet access, you will need to figure out how to turn of the MS Firewall crap that's included.

Another thing - it's about 75 mb to download, so if you're on broadband and run Windows Update regularly, watch your cap.

I haven't installed it yet so i can't really tell you much more than these 2 annoyances. It's chock full of security updates, so when i hear of a success story i'll let you know. :smt023

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 05:33 PM
.. you da man Fishy :smt023

one day i'll update my dinosaur rig so i can encounter all of these lovely problems you hi-tech nerds are experiencing :smt019

McMw
3rd September 2004, 05:33 PM
now you tell me??? :shock:

I spend a good part of last night (or was it the night before) downloading it... 8)

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2004, 05:45 PM
one day i'll update my dinosaur rig so i can encounter all of these lovely problems you hi-tech nerds are experiencing :smt019

...and one day i'll own an R7 ;)

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 05:50 PM
...and one day i'll own an R7 ;)

..i'm looking out the window mate, and don't see any pigs-with-wings in action out there :roll: :P

markTHEblake
3rd September 2004, 11:50 PM
i installed it a couple of weeks ago, downloaded the whole 266mb, only took 6 hours :-). Not a problem, on the the 3 or so machines i ahave updated so far.

If the new "Security Centre" is an annoyance it can be turned off., if one cant cope with that then thats all the more reason for it to be enabled in the first place. :-)

The pop up blockers in IE are good too, but one problem i found is that when doing a "search" for a file like LMHOSTS or HOSTS it wont find it, so MS have done something extra to hide files from the search window.

IMHO Microsoft have got it right this time. I would suggest that everyone who has dialup go to Microsoft and order the CD, its free and invaluale if you ever have to reinstall windows.

macleod
4th September 2004, 07:45 PM
guys, i just ordered it CD when i first sniffed after it a week ago, too lazy to download with my slowarse 56k link.

if anyone wants to borrow the CD once im done let me know.

that or just make Redmond pay for your own copies!

i just have to figure out whether i can install it since i have an AMD processor in he plile of puke that is my PC.......heard mention the pack might screw my PC permanently.

markTHEblake
4th September 2004, 10:25 PM
didnt screw a couple of my systems - a duron 1g and a k62-450.

AndyP
5th September 2004, 02:22 PM
I have a service pack 2 beta version, I think. So the update for me won't be as large to download. 30MB, I think.
:?

macleod
5th September 2004, 06:40 PM
cool, the amd 64 series of chips was the one apparently.

more diggin once i get time.

markTHEblake
5th September 2004, 09:33 PM
cool, the amd 64 series of chips was the one apparently.

your kiddin, does anyone actually use a 64bit AMD ?

Ona
5th September 2004, 10:12 PM
had sp2 for a whille now and I sware everything is running slower now :x

McMw
6th September 2004, 06:37 PM
had sp2 for a whille now and I sware everything is running slower now :x

same for me too...very annoying!!!

anyway....just downloaded netscape (latest) and it's so much faster than IE6, and to now, no closing down problems...

just having to get used to the features...but I can live with that...

Iain
6th September 2004, 06:50 PM
I got it on a CD that my brother gave to me, so if anyone wants to borrow it, then they can. I only installed this afternoon, but don't seem to be having any problems with it so far. 8) :smt023 \:D/

Fishman Dan
6th September 2004, 08:18 PM
...downloaded the whole 266mb, only took 6 hours :-).

Now this is where i got a little confused. I ran Windows Update at home which said it was 75 mb, but the (SUS) Server at work that auto-downloads all the updates for the pc's at work downloaded 280-odd mb. :smt017

Regardless - anyone want a copy let me know and i'll chuck it on a cd for you.

markTHEblake
6th September 2004, 10:00 PM
...downloaded the whole 266mb, only took 6 hours :-).

Now this is where i got a little confused. I ran Windows Update at home which said it was 75 mb, but the (SUS) Server at work that auto-downloads all the updates for the pc's at work downloaded 280-odd mb. :smt017

Windows update will only download whats required for that particular PC, which can vary widely. The full update is 266Mb and is made available for someone that wants to deploy it himself, to a network for example.

see http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en