PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 8th January

Grunt
9th January 2007, 03:50 PM
Played Beverley Park with some guys from work this morning. They have recently joined there and I have given OzGolf the hard sell. Anyway they needed me to sign some cards for them to submit for their handicaps.

Front nine started off slow, had one of those days where you overclub to make sure of the swing and you hit it pure and sail over the back of the green. The little changes I made to the putting stroke worked well. Back nine was good.

94 Gross
75 Nett
32 putts
8 Fairways
2 GIR

The game is coming back, slowly. I am playing @ Bankstown tomorrow morning, I will see how that goes.

dc68
9th January 2007, 03:54 PM
Ahhh the Earth has realigned and Grunt is 1st to post in the what did you shoot thread.

All is good Karma is restored. :p

Grunt
9th January 2007, 04:03 PM
Ahhh the Earth has realigned and Grunt is 1st to post in the what did you shoot thread.

All is good Karma is restored. :p

And maybe my golf game will come back to me completely like it was before when I had it.

dc68
9th January 2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe that was the problem mate ?

Flowergirl
10th January 2007, 07:35 AM
Had a quickie with my girlfriend last night - nine holes matchplay. I like playing with her - when she doesn't do her block - she is pretty competitive and keeps me on my toes. We both play off the same handicap so it's usually a pretty even match. I got her after the 8th.
Shot a 44 - two stupid 2 foot missed putts - but hit the ball pretty good. A big improvement on my short game.

Got to start keeping my stats.

Par 37 - gross 44 - nett 36

Fairways hit - all of them. :)

G.I.R. - 4

putts - 19

Guess what I need to work on. :( Maybe I need to go back to Rotella. But it's not a mental thing. I honestly stand over the ball and think I'm going to make the putt. :shock:

Grunt
10th January 2007, 01:45 PM
Played @ Bankstown this morning, had one of those rounds where a little mistake bit you on the arse hard. I only actually hit 5 bad/poor shots all day but they all forced wipes upon me. Putting was awesome 10 1 putts.:) THe short game tips & lessons really helped. I only have to keep the ball out of the trees off the tee.:?
27 points
5 wipes:oops:
4 pars:)
10 up & downs:razz:
1 3 putt
1 maybe 2 fairways
3 GIR
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's just that I am not sure if it is the train coming to flatten me or actually the end of it.:smt087

Jarro
10th January 2007, 03:10 PM
played Windaroo today .. 90 off the stick for a nett 78.

8 fairways
8 G.I.R.s
36 putts
0/9 up&downs :oops:

not hard to see what part of the game i need to work on :shock:

Pinglauncher
10th January 2007, 03:12 PM
Played Carnarvon yesterday for 37 points. Hit the ball better than I have for 4 - 6 weeks which was mainly tempo related and could really tell the difference at the end of the round in how my neck and back felt.

Got hammered by Nathan again however. His last 5 rounds have been 37, 36, 41, 41 and 40 yesterday. His handicap has dropped from 19.8 to 16.0 since the week of Xmas. I have never seen him play better than I did yesterday and he should have had an easy 45 points.

Dad is in big trouble.

goughy
10th January 2007, 06:55 PM
Had a quickie with my girlfriend last night

Jeeze - I had to turn the air con on for a sec. It was starting to get a bit hot in here!!! ;)

AndyP
10th January 2007, 08:04 PM
Everyone else managed to resist. Why couldn't you, goughy?

Oh and you missed this one:
I like playing with her

Fishman Dan
10th January 2007, 08:15 PM

YouTube?

Courty
10th January 2007, 10:21 PM
Cairns GC again today (as if there's much choice :roll:). Individual stableford was the order of the day. I started out ok and warmed to the task. Everything was going ok until I wiped the 9th :evil: and finished with 16 pts. I was on fire on the back 9 and was even with the card on the 16th tee (unlucky not to be -2). I hit a perfect 3 wood and got stymied behind the tree I was aiming for. Tried to cut one around to the green and didn't get enough cut. Splash! Took a wipe, then 2 consecutive bogies to finish and record 18pts on the back. Still, I was very encouraged by my ball-striking.

BrisWesty
11th January 2007, 12:34 AM
Had a hit at Caboolture today.

82/69 - 0 birdies, 10 pars, 27 putts, 5 fairways, 4 GIR, 8/12 up & down.

Flowergirl
11th January 2007, 10:15 AM

I did omit the fact that she is a lesbian.:mrgreen:

Courty
11th January 2007, 10:19 AM

:shock: :smt118 :smt079

marcel
11th January 2007, 10:28 AM

"I'm out" - Kramer; The Contest

Grunt
12th January 2007, 12:31 PM
Played Macarthur Grange this morning.
36 points :p I'm Back
9 fairways
2 wipes
4 pars
6 up & downs
27 putts :) I missed a lot of greens; just.

My game is back!!! I played smart and well. First game I have genuinely enjoyed in ages. Looking forward to tomorrows round.

AndyP
12th January 2007, 01:00 PM
First game I have genuinely enjoyed in ages.
Is your definition of ages, a few weeks?

Grunt
12th January 2007, 01:03 PM
A month or two

Courty
12th January 2007, 01:04 PM
A month or two

In Grunt's golfing life, that IS ages. :lol:

BrisWesty
12th January 2007, 04:25 PM
Clipped all of our hedges and mowed the lawns this morning and decided to go for a hit at Caboolture afterwards, despite having sore arms.

Didn't seem to matter. Had 79/66 (par 71) (2nd time ever under 80!) 29 putts (3 putted the last from 30m), 7 GIR, 7 fairways, 1 birdie, 9 pars, 7 bogey, 1 double.

Have changed my putting attitude for long putts. Rather than trying to hole them all (well that's still in the back of my mind), I'm attempting to ensure the putt ends up within 3 feet of the hole (ideally past the hole). Have only 3putted twice in 4 rounds as a result.

That said, I've had a good time playing bump and run shots around the greens too, so haven't had hugely long putts to make!

Courty
12th January 2007, 06:13 PM
3 putted the last from 30m

:shock: How big are the greens?

Grunt
12th January 2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Courty, just wait until you see how big the greens are at Macarthur Grange. On the 4th Hole the green is almost 50m long:shock:

Courty
12th January 2007, 06:42 PM
Hey Courty, just wait until you see how big the greens are at Macarthur Grange. On the 4th Hole the green is almost 50m long:shock:

No excuses for missing them, eh? ;)

Grunt
12th January 2007, 06:54 PM
Sometimes it is better to miss the green.

PeteyD
13th January 2007, 11:43 AM
January Medal today, hit 96 for 69 nett. 32 putts. Could not hit a drive all day (1 fairway!) but scrambled well and really enjoyed golf. Rolled ankle on the 7th (played back 9 first thankfully) and fell over, hurting my shoulder in the process. Played last few holes in pain :( Score should be good enough for a ball and maybe a one shot down on the handicrap.

Fishman Dan
13th January 2007, 12:32 PM
I've invented a new game - "Onesy Threesy". I won it.

The good - 38 points, 49 in my 2-ball with my partner. No wipes, 30 putts.

2 up thru 4. Followed that with three 1-pointers, then exchanged 1's and 3's until the 14th where i had my last 5/2 points. Exchange doubles and par's again until 4-pointer bird on 17, and then... yep, 1 point on the last.

Hitting my irons terribly, but i guess when you're missing them straight you can't complain too much.

Grunt
13th January 2007, 12:36 PM
Played Macarthur Grange today, played well even better than yesterday :)
38 points
5 pars
34 putts
4 Fairways
4 GIR
How good is this? Grunt has now had 2 good rounds in a row:p

Courty
13th January 2007, 05:48 PM
4BBB stroke today. The pace was set when all four in my group birdied the first hole. Individually I had even par on the front nine with a 4-putt double bogey on the 8th :oops:. I lipped out an 8ft eagle on the 6th, then a 6ft birdie on the 7th. As a 4BBB we had 29 (-6). A long wait between nines saw me lose my rhythm and I faded on the back. We still shot -3 for the back nine but I would have finished with about 78 or 79. Our total of 63 was 5 behind the leading score when we came in. :shock:

PeteyD
13th January 2007, 06:02 PM
My 69 was good enough for 13th overall (4th in C Grade) and handicap reduced to 26.6!! Yippee.

3oneday
13th January 2007, 07:48 PM
Well, I played today... enough about me ;)

I played with a young fella off 32, he had 1 point the front and 2 points the back :shock: yep, and he tried on every one of them !!!

Never seen anything like it in all my life, and hope to never again !!!

Jarro
13th January 2007, 07:50 PM
Well, I played today... enough about me ;)

I played with a young fella off 32, he had 1 point the front and 2 points the back :shock: yep, and he tried on every one of them !!!

Never seen anything like it in all my life, and hope to never again !!!

.. so how is Fishy anyway ?

;)

AndyP
13th January 2007, 08:15 PM
Did he have Tour gear?

Fishman Dan
14th January 2007, 07:12 AM
...or a putter?

3oneday
14th January 2007, 08:03 AM
...or a putter?he didn't putt often ;)

Jarro
14th January 2007, 12:43 PM
87 (32 points) at Nudgee today.

5 fairways
30 putts
4/13 up&downs

Carved a few drives to the right today due to the fact i was standing too close to the ball :roll: Something to work on anyway.

Grunt
14th January 2007, 12:57 PM
Popped into the club this morning to order my shoes and found out I kept my nearest the pin on the 2nd (45cm) and got a ball in the comp rundown.:)
No division prizes yesterday as there were only 25 starters. (a coup is going on with a course up the road, a few guys (25) went up there for a game yesterday)

goughy
14th January 2007, 02:36 PM
Got out again today. 35pts around city, pretty happy considering how often I get out, and nothing felt really spectacular. Couple of birdies early helped out.
Had 34 putts, but left an easy 7 putts out there. 3 x 3 putts and none of them were from far away initially. Thought I'd try something different and used my BIL's old beaten up blade putter (AP will remember it from PW) but didn't gel with it and left a lot of putts half way to the hole. Missed several putts within 8 feet, and in 2 cases when putting from off the fringe didn't get within cooee of the hole. Have to get scotty back in the bag.

Also drove the ball ok today. Only real fluff was trying to smash it on 16 and hooked oob, then hooked the provisional nearly oob. Drove well when I just hit it smoooooooothly. Gotta think fairways, not distance. I hit it far enough for me anyway.

Changed my attitude to how I play the game, and will try and persist with it in the future. Tried to take the smarter safest path. Was caught behind a few trees and did nothing stupid and chipped out and got my bogey's. On both par 5's I found the fairways and had good lies. Both times hit 5 iron 2nd shots then had easy lw to green on 10 and 9 iron from bunker on 17. Sunk birdie on 10 and missed birdie on 17 by an inch. And all the times I got 6's and 7's on those hole trying to hit 3 woods, and I play then -1 taking it safe.

Fishman Dan
14th January 2007, 03:10 PM
You get a ball for an NTP? It's $10 or $15 (depends on the comp) at my course!

Grunt
14th January 2007, 03:13 PM
2 balls, remember we are a private course owned by a tight arse.

AndyP
14th January 2007, 03:23 PM
You get a ball for an NTP? It's $10 or $15 (depends on the comp) at my course!
There were only 25 starters. You wouldn't expect much in prizes.

Fishman Dan
14th January 2007, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't expect much from a course that runs comps with 25 starters. 45cm is worthy of better.

jimandr
14th January 2007, 07:58 PM
It's always the way. As one part of your game starts to come good, other parts get worse. 34 points at Eastlake today. Struck the ball poorly, but some good chipping and putting rescued the score.

Fairways = 5 of 13
Greens in Reg = 4 of 18
Putts = 28, no birdies, no 3putts
Up&Down = 6 of 11, incl a chip in
Sand Saves = 1 of 1.

oz
15th January 2007, 06:35 AM
A solid 39 points (73) at Albury Golf Club yesterday. Hit plenty of fairways and managed my game reasonably well. A couple of 3 putts on the par 5's were disappointing, but the greens were very quick, and I hit some approaches into bad spots on the greens.

brad
15th January 2007, 07:42 AM
Fought hard for 31 points at Eastlake yesterday. Played with Jim, Amanda and Jono. Thanks for joining me for a game on my Birthday.

Highlight would be the par on a 390'ish par 4 where my first shot didn't make the ladies markers and was on the next fairway :)

chappy1970
15th January 2007, 07:54 AM
My slow steady reduction in handicap keeps coming, moved from 9.8 to 9.6 yesterday.

I was a little nervous about yesterdays round as it was my first comp round after last weeks lesson, and the changes that were made as part of the lesson were not minor.

Started poorly with a Double, than bogied the next, parred the next and birdied the next, boy was I looking forward to the fifth hole, only parred it though.

Finished with 38 points which included: Par 72/ CCR 73
* 3 birdies
* 6 pars
* 7 bogies
* 2 I'd rather not talk about

Just sort of limped around, need another lesson which I already have a voucher for.

Next game hope to break back into Single figures again, FINALLY.

Chappy

amanda
15th January 2007, 07:58 AM
Highlight would be the par on a 390'ish par 4 where my first shot didn't make the ladies markers and was on the next fairway :)

That par was the most freakish I've ever seen!

I had a very miserable 20 points at Eastlake - after 9 holes I only had 8 points and knew I had to get 9 more points to go past the 16 pt ozgolf record.

Once I made 17 points, I proceeded to have wipe, wipe - and then somehow - made par for 3 points on the last hole :shock:

Oh well - looking forward to going mountain biking next weekend!

AndyP
15th January 2007, 08:41 AM
after 9 holes I only had 8 points and knew I had to get 9 more points to go past the 16 pt ozgolf record.
I think you were safe when you passed 9 points. The record is a lot worse than 16 now.

But if it gives you a goal during a round and helps you focus, by all means use my old glorious record.

poidda
15th January 2007, 09:30 AM
Played The Glades yesterday with a 92 of the stick after hitting the ball so well.

Fairways: 12
Greens in Reg: 14

Putting was absolutely atrocious. 3-putted the first 5 holes. Missed everything from three foot or longer all day, and couldn't get a lengthy putt within 6 foot. I think I had one 1-putt.

Anyway, played dots with my mate and ended up taking 4 off him for the day all thanks to fairways and greens. It could've easily been 40.

To the putting green for me this week!

But on a side note, we bought a "discount" voucher off iseek for $105, but when we went to pay green fees were only charged $80. WTF? We decided not to use the voucher and I've emailed iseek to see what the deal is?!?!

AndyP
15th January 2007, 09:32 AM
I thought $105 was a bit steep when you mentioned it.

poidda
15th January 2007, 09:34 AM
Rake rate is $160 apparantly.

poidda
15th January 2007, 09:35 AM
But I did just have a look at their site and either 9 holes, or twilight (after 2pm) is $80. We teed off at 1pm, so unless the young fulla just made a mistake in charging us the $80.

dc68
15th January 2007, 09:37 AM
40pts on Saturday ,73 off the stick, got runner up.........shoulda been better.
3 f/w,12gir,27putts,3 u/d,2/2 ss.
12pars 3 birds 1 dub and 2 bogies.

goughy
15th January 2007, 09:39 AM
Played The Glades yesterday with a 92 of the stick after hitting the ball so well.

Fairways: 12
Greens in Reg: 14

Putting was absolutely atrocious.

To the putting green for me this week!

You might be right about the putting green. They are some fantastic long game stats. Of course a gir doesnt tell us how far you were from the hole.

Then again, after my putting on the weekend who am I to comment on anyone elses :(

PeteyD
15th January 2007, 09:42 AM
Nice shooting Dave. Thought I saw your name in the old paper

dc68
15th January 2007, 09:48 AM
Ta mate.

Eag's
15th January 2007, 10:07 AM
Well done Dave, 73 is a great score anywhere :smt023

BrisVegas
15th January 2007, 01:24 PM
Anyway, played dots with my mate and ended up taking 4 off him for the day all thanks to fairways and greens. It could've easily been 40.

Please explain dots....

PeteyD
15th January 2007, 01:43 PM
Small round things

poidda
15th January 2007, 02:05 PM
Please explain dots....

Just a bit of a gambling game we've always played. I'm not sure if it's common or anything as have always just played it with the same mates.

Anyway, you get a dot for each of the following on every hole, and at the end of the day you pay up for each dot you're down. We usually play $1 dots. So for Long Drive, Pin/Pro Shot, Winning the hole, an extra for Birdie, and 2 extra for eagle. So realisticly there's $4 (give or take one) per player per holeup for grabs. If you have a right chop and someone blitzes it, it could end up being an expensive day. If playing in a group of 4, it's not uncommon for someone to walk away a happy little punter.

Understand?

BrisVegas
15th January 2007, 02:20 PM
yep. i've never played it on long drives as well, but everything else is the same as "units" which I've played plenty of.

Courty
15th January 2007, 03:37 PM
We play the same thing, except limit the damage by playing 6/6/8... $6 for the front nine, $6 for the back nine, and $8 overall. We also play in pairs rather than individually. As i generally play with guys in a similar handicap range, we usually play units for NTPs on every hole, and sometimes even units for 3-putts.

Grunt
15th January 2007, 03:52 PM
A group of Guys at Macarthur Grange play for free beers in a 2Ball format. It is quite a good entertainment session for the rest of us in the club afterwards. One week one of the groups were wearing surgical gloves to highlight the point that they had given the other pair a good hammering. The beers flowed well that day.

goughy
15th January 2007, 04:01 PM
In toowoomba, a 5buck keno tick is up for grabs. Units for winning the hole, ntp on par 3, I think birdies. Nothing substantial to keep a track of. And even on single event days it is played in pairs.

jimandr
15th January 2007, 09:36 PM
I think you were safe when you passed 9 points. The record is a lot worse than 16 now.

But if it gives you a goal during a round and helps you focus, by all means use my old glorious record.

We are recognising Grunt's 16 points as the worst score for the year so far. Once anybody has reached the ultimate target of 8 points, 16 is the next one.

Fishman Dan
15th January 2007, 11:06 PM
We play for 'units' in Kyogle.

Units are 10c on the front 9, on the 10th tee the team that's behind can 'pull the lever' to raise it to 20c per unit.

Units are won per hole and jackpots if halved, NTP on par 3's, "Sandy's" (up'n'down from bunker), birdies, lizards (chip-ins), best score front/back 9, and another '2 bob' (20c) for the best card of the day.

It's really nothing more than bragging rights and making a nuisance of passing 30c to your partners across the table.

Grunt
16th January 2007, 04:05 AM
We are recognising Grunt's 16 points as the worst score for the year so far. Once anybody has reached the ultimate target of 8 points, 16 is the next one.

Thanks Jim for reminding me of what happens when it all goes wrong.

cazandpaul
16th January 2007, 05:39 PM
Been lurking lately with not much to say - played reasonably well over the last month or so culminating with 44 points last Sunday - course is playing quite easy at present (CCR 39 points) but any reduction is a good reduction.

Working at the pro shop has enabled me to pick up some gear suited to my game (Srixon W 403 driver and 3 wood with regular Saber shaft) and 3 new wedges - Vokey spin milled 60 (8* bounce) and 56 (10* bounce) and Vokey 52 - still waiting for the 52 and 56 - the 60 absolutely rocks.

jimandr
16th January 2007, 07:44 PM
Doesn't matter how easy the course is playing, I'm pretty sure 44 is the best score so far this year, and deserves recognition as the upper target to aim for.