PDA

View Full Version : Steel Shaft Stiffness..

azza
30th December 2006, 04:54 PM
I recently snapped my 9-iron and has since been reshafted with the same DG S300 as before. I've used it in my last 6 rounds and it feels slightly stiffer than all the other irons. Do steel shafts become softer as time goes on, or merely the fact that the shaft is new ? Any thoughts and/or comments ?

pt73
30th December 2006, 06:54 PM
What make/model of irons are they ?

Courty
30th December 2006, 07:05 PM
I've heard that over time steel shafts can lose their tension. Heat can accellerate the effects too (leaving clubs in car boot, for example).

azza
30th December 2006, 08:04 PM
What make/model of irons are they ? They're Titleist DCI 981, 2001 vintage. I reshafted them a bit over two years ago.

Jarro
30th December 2006, 08:29 PM
What the hell are you doing snapping your 9 iron anyway mate :shock:

pt73
31st December 2006, 09:35 AM
I doubt quality shafts will lose there stiffness in 2 years.

I suggest you get the whole set swingweighted to see if the 9 iron matches the other irons and also check the length of the 9 iron it should be 1/2" shorter than the 8 iron.

PT

azza
31st December 2006, 10:39 AM
I doubt quality shafts will lose there stiffness in 2 years.

I suggest you get the whole set swingweighted to see if the 9 iron matches the other irons and also check the length of the 9 iron it should be 1/2" shorter than the 8 iron.

PT

Thanks for the tip PT. I'll have the swingweights checked out next time I'm at the clubfitters.

And Jarro, I had a bit of tree trouble, specifically a tree root.

prmeier
7th January 2007, 09:14 PM
Check the position of the bottom step in the shaft. It should be in between the 8 and the PW. Have had wedges with the supposed same shaft turn up with up to an inch difference in the bottom step which alters flex considerably.